rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Teaching english in cambodia

I'm on my last legs out here in Oz it's a bit bollocks. Anyone have any experience of teaching English in Cambodia? I'm hearing quotes of $10 an hour for native English speakers. Anyone know the deal? Exaggeration or maybe truth with unmentioned pitfalls involved? Does anyone have any first hand experience before i make some rash decisions?

I don't have any first hand info, but $10 is what I've heard as well. I hear it's very easy to get jobs there, and the cost of living is low.

Check out http://www.khmer440.com/k/. Probably a lot of teachers on there.

Thats where all the fuckups from TEFL in Thailand end up when they are no longer meet the low bar that are the standards to teach in Thailand. Im sure Leightonblackstock and myself will work there soon enough once we get blacklisted in Thailand. [Image: smile.gif]

Game/red pill article links

"Chicks dig power, men dig beauty, eggs are expensive, sperm is cheap, men are expendable, women are perishable." - Heartiste

Yeah it's nickname in teaching circles is "refuge of the failures" which at this point in my life regarding finances is pretty spot on. I'm thinking off just going for it. It will be an adventure at least versus working some shitty job in a culture not too far from my own. Fuck it. Time to take a shot.

Why would you want to work for $10/hour? You should really set higher expectations for yourself. Your future basically includes marrying a Cambodian girl, making $10/hour, and being in fucking Cambodia.

Agree with Bacon, that's the place you get herded off to when you hit 50 in Thailand.

There's been entire books published about the absolute fuck-up TEFL teachers that end up in Cambodia: Drug-dealers, pedophiles and convicts. Give this post a read: http://www.roadjunky.com/article/2179/te...h-cambodia . It's one-sided, but you'll get an insight. It sounds like HELL.

And that's precisely the reason to go! [Image: lol.gif]

Basically, it depends how much you want to live in Cambodia. If you really want to live there, I'm sure you'll find a way to have an awesome time. I only have first-hand experience in Korea, Taiwan and Thailand, but I've researched TEFL in Asia a lot and can't think of anyone on the forum who's taught it in Cambodia.

You'll be on ten dollars an hour. You'll have a one-room apartment. You'll think 'holy shit my parents must think I'm a massive fucking disappointment', but HELL, you'll be in fucking Cambodia! Bound to be fun as hell. I like your attitude.

You'll whizz around on a motorbike, will drink a lot of beer and will bang a lot of Asians. Some people forget this. TEFL ain't THAT bad.

Your university friends will be on triple your salary, but they're in a cubicle at a Box Factory in Swindon. After their long day they'll watch the evening news and will cook some pasta and then go to bed. On Friday night they'll go out chasing overweight, entitled 6's at a club. Then fifty weeks later they'll spend their savings on a two-week holiday to Cambodia.

TEFL will always give you enough money to get Asian girls in your bed and beers on the table. It's nothing special but it's bloody fun as hell.

With this stuff, don't listen to the guys Dave's ESL Forum. They just don't get it. They treat it like a proper job and think that it has something to do with teaching. 99% of the posts about Thailand are negative (take a look). Most of them say "STAY AWAY from TEFL in Thailand. The curriculum-is-a-bad". I was meant to go there after Korea but they put me off it. I basically took game advice from a 40 year-old virgin.

Besides, I'm in Thailand and I teach at a corporate school for 52,000 a month. My Thai colleagues are all hot university-educated bitches in short skirts. Before that, I had a job teaching 18 year-olds at a female-only Catholic school. Usually the bad part of TEFL is that you teach little bastards in exchange for living somewhere nice, but sometimes you land on your feet with the job.

Would I do this for 35,000 Baht a month teaching toddlers? Yeah I would, definitely. I wouldn't love my job too much, but hey, there's a palm tree over there, debaucherous nightlife a few soi's away and plenty of Thai girls to stick your dick in.

If you're not massively set on Cambodia or need cash, then go to Korea for a few months and do a runner when you get bored. They'll fly you in for free and will give you $2000 and a free apartment. Korea's pretty shit, but its fun to experience for a few months. I'm glad I went. Or you can earn about the same in Taipei and will have more fun.

Cambodia sounds like way more fun than Korea/Taiwan though. I say do it.

@leighton, I have no tefl nor degree finished after high school, I think Korea and Taiwan are off the table? In regards to the fun aspect though I agree.

@Others, I'm 22 and heading home next December. I don't really care what my family thinks of my life choices I'm just sick of oz and miss Asia like hell.

The overall plan was instead of staying here till August could I work out there and have enough to tour the provinces out in the Phil's and Indo and the north east of Thailand over about 4 months with what I make. I would have about 6 months worth of Cambodia savings which I estimate at max $300-500 a month from the amount over heard quoted in regards to pay and living expenses .

I'm also looking into China you have a similar situation in regards to requirements but the pay seems to be more from what I've heard.

Quote: (02-27-2014 10:45 AM)Logie Wrote:  

@leighton, I have no tefl nor degree finished after high school, I think Korea and Taiwan are off the table?

Cambodia's the only option open

Unless.................... you get a degree from somewhere ;-).

You could probably teach on a tourist visa with a degree ;-), and it would probably make it past Taiwanese immigration checks.

No way in hell that would work for Korea though.

Plus I really wouldn't wanna be caught with a degree ;-) in Thailand.

You can maybe find work in Thailand with no degree but its gonna be a lot harder. No government school gigs or really any place which can secure a work permit for you will touch you without a bachelors.

To add to what leightonblackstock says about TEFL especially in Asia its not a bad gig. If you are facing a soulless corporate future in the Anglosphere there are options for you especially if you are a native english speacher with a bachelors degree and are white(in Asia skin color counts big for getting teaching gigs).

Actually dont let Leighton´s drunken antics and tales of debachery make you think less of the TEFL profession his gig really makes him work for that money so its understandable he needs to cut loose on his time off. I think he does up to 20 hrs a week of classroom hrs. Poor guy. My gig is much more reasonable (12 hrs a week) because some of us work to live not live to work.[Image: icon_lol.gif]

Game/red pill article links

"Chicks dig power, men dig beauty, eggs are expensive, sperm is cheap, men are expendable, women are perishable." - Heartiste

He's correct

I have to get up at 11:30am for this one :-(

In Taiwan I could stay in bed till 13:30pm :-(

How the hell am I meant to recover from a night out when they pull this Nazi-Germany shit on me all the time?

20 hours a week for 50k baht?
Sounds prett decent.

Could a non-native (german) speaker with a uni degree get such a gig?
Can it be any kind of degree or does it have to be teaching related?

Quote: (02-27-2014 09:56 AM)LeightonBlackstock Wrote:  

Agree with Bacon, that's the place you get herded off to when you hit 50 in Thailand.

There's been entire books published about the absolute fuck-up TEFL teachers that end up in Cambodia: Drug-dealers, pedophiles and convicts. Give this post a read: http://www.roadjunky.com/article/2179/te...h-cambodia . It's one-sided, but you'll get an insight. It sounds like HELL.

And that's precisely the reason to go! [Image: lol.gif]

Basically, it depends how much you want to live in Cambodia. If you really want to live there, I'm sure you'll find a way to have an awesome time. I only have first-hand experience in Korea, Taiwan and Thailand, but I've researched TEFL in Asia a lot and can't think of anyone on the forum who's taught it in Cambodia.

You'll be on ten dollars an hour. You'll have a one-room apartment. You'll think 'holy shit my parents must think I'm a massive fucking disappointment', but HELL, you'll be in fucking Cambodia! Bound to be fun as hell. I like your attitude.

You'll whizz around on a motorbike, will drink a lot of beer and will bang a lot of Asians. Some people forget this. TEFL ain't THAT bad.

Your university friends will be on triple your salary, but they're in a cubicle at a Box Factory in Swindon. After their long day they'll watch the evening news and will cook some pasta and then go to bed. On Friday night they'll go out chasing overweight, entitled 6's at a club. Then fifty weeks later they'll spend their savings on a two-week holiday to Cambodia.

TEFL will always give you enough money to get Asian girls in your bed and beers on the table. It's nothing special but it's bloody fun as hell.

With this stuff, don't listen to the guys Dave's ESL Forum. They just don't get it. They treat it like a proper job and think that it has something to do with teaching. 99% of the posts about Thailand are negative (take a look). Most of them say "STAY AWAY from TEFL in Thailand. The curriculum-is-a-bad". I was meant to go there after Korea but they put me off it. I basically took game advice from a 40 year-old virgin.

Besides, I'm in Thailand and I teach at a corporate school for 52,000 a month. My Thai colleagues are all hot university-educated bitches in short skirts. Before that, I had a job teaching 18 year-olds at a female-only Catholic school. Usually the bad part of TEFL is that you teach little bastards in exchange for living somewhere nice, but sometimes you land on your feet with the job.

Would I do this for 35,000 Baht a month teaching toddlers? Yeah I would, definitely. I wouldn't love my job too much, but hey, there's a palm tree over there, debaucherous nightlife a few soi's away and plenty of Thai girls to stick your dick in.

If you're not massively set on Cambodia or need cash, then go to Korea for a few months and do a runner when you get bored. They'll fly you in for free and will give you $2000 and a free apartment. Korea's pretty shit, but its fun to experience for a few months. I'm glad I went. Or you can earn about the same in Taipei and will have more fun.

Cambodia sounds like way more fun than Korea/Taiwan though. I say do it.

Leighton & bacon. Could you break down a couple things:
1. Whats the process of getting a TEFL job in Korea or Thailand (for a native english speaker with a non teaching bach degree but no TEFL cert)?
2. What are the hours like?

If you're serious about 20 hours for 52000 THB and 12 hours for a proportionally equal amount (30000 THB???), this seems a pretty good amount to live in Thailand. If you're enjoying your life, getting pussy in bulk, and have enough time to work freelancing programming on the side if you wish to have extra funds (say for example to make a trip home a couple times per year or to buy property eventually) then I see it as a fucking awesome option for anyone not already in an upwardly moving career stage.

I thought this thread was going to be about Beyond Borders's blog post: How to Teach English in Cambodia without Becoming a Fourth World Dirtbag

Found another interesting blog about a guy saying teaching in cambodia isn't all bad although he does recognize the negatives of it. I was really interested by the guy he mentions who he says makes millions teaching english online

http://notesfrombeyond.com/world-travel/...d-dirt-bag

Just curious anyone know of any cool blogs about teaching english in central or south america? I know pay is always higher in asian from what I hear but just not my thing, I'd lean towards central america or south america. Tried doing some googling but everything that comes up is really straightlaced articles about teaching, I wanna know about the teaching angle but more life down there, partying, women, etc

You realize this is our very own BB's site right? [Image: smile.gif]

Btw, BB, would be a good idea to post some pics of girls you encounter there as well as maybe getting videos of daily life in Cambodia posted on your site. No need to show your mug, just shoot scenes of daily life, would be awesome to get a good idea of what's it's like to live there.

Thoughts?

Quote: (03-11-2014 12:13 PM)jamaicabound Wrote:  

Found another interesting blog about a guy saying teaching in cambodia isn't all bad although he does recognize the negatives of it. I was really interested by the guy he mentions who he says makes millions teaching english online

http://notesfrombeyond.com/world-travel/...d-dirt-bag