rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Balancing a lab/game lifestyle… calling RVF lab scientists

Question for the scientists (who work in a lab) of RVF. I currently work in a sausage-filled lab environment. Some people are able to work 'regular' times and achieve some semblance of a balanced lifestyle. However, to this date I have not met anyone who has been successful at both science and game. I'm finding it difficult to balance these 2 variables. I'm speaking more about day game as well. I'm wondering if anyone here has faced this, and how you were able to overcome it.

[Image: attachment.jpg17190]   

Lab science is a bit of a broad term. What kind of lab work do you do? I.e. is it time-sensitive, do you have to stay in lab for hours at an end or can you take a break for an hour or two and come back.

I highly suggest you read Cal Newport's blog and more specifically the book: So Good They Can't Ignore You.

In general what I've noticed: most lab scientists seem to waste a lot of time. I don't blame them and I do it as well, the work can be tiring mentally and physically. But the aim should be to be as focused as possible and get your work done as efficiently as possible.

Hopefully that'll give you time to do day game. At worst, you can always day game on the weekend. As for the trade-off between scientific greatness and game, it's true a lot more effort goes into being a great scientist than other careers. But good game can be done on top. Once again, you really need to get good at getting work done.

But hey, I'm still figuring this out as well, so I might be wrong.

Not happening. - redbeard in regards to ETH flippening BTC

In workplaces guys with no game do 80% of work and reap 20% of benefits while guys with game do 20% of work and reap 80% of benefits.

Go to work to game your path, not work your ass and you may combine work with game. The reward of game is success, but the reward of work is just more work. Sleep is a must.

It is said that Einstein and Edison (two names that have become synonymous with great scientist) both being good with women actually just summarized the ideas of more beta scientists who each worked in their mind's cells but didn't have the social skills to go out and exchange ideas and draw the big picture out of the small details they labored 24/7 in their cells. If you work hard on details, take measurements e.t.c you don't have time to see the large picture and your creativity is destroyed. You must take things easy, have a moderate sexual expression for your thoughts and see the big picture in a relaxed creative mood, to make a really big step in science. You must not be afraid to make bold theories and leave the experimental work of proving or refuting these theories with grinding experiments to a more beta and less creative people.

Somewhat related:
http://www.rooshvforum.network/thread-16330-...#pid278915

Quote: (02-21-2014 12:32 AM)Rotisserie Wrote:  

However, to this date I have not met anyone who has been successful at both science and game.

Roosh was a scientist before he started traveling around the world.

Well, look, it's possible, but obviously you're in lab a lot. Not sure what kind of work you do (bio or chem), but there is always some downtime, although not a lot. You will not be able to put in huge hours for daygame, but even 1-2 approaches per day is better than nothing. I would aim for something small scale (chemistry joke there).

Online game could be best to squeeze in to whatever free time you have.

Relative to:

1. The intellect required for pure science/lab positions.
2. The amount of schooling required.
3. The amount the various industries (particularly pharmaceutical and FMCG) make.

...the pure sciences (bio/chem/phys) are probably some of the most underpaid jobs going.

1. Avoid academia. It attracts the freaks and people who like the comfort, safety and the lack of aggression that comes with any private sector.

2. Steer more towards chemical engineering if possible (process/production chemist).

3. Find a shift position (more money and more importantly more days off. Days you can devote to game, travel, acquiring more qualifications/education, getting a new job, gym, making extra money, picking up extra shifts.) Analytical/QC and process/production are the areas that are more likely to offer shift.

4. Offshore (oil rig) chemistry. Min £300 per day. 2 weeks on then 2/3/4 weeks off.

Quote: (02-21-2014 01:55 AM)Genghis Khan Wrote:  

Lab science is a bit of a broad term…

In general what I've noticed: most lab scientists seem to waste a lot of time.

Quote: (02-21-2014 11:29 AM)Menace Wrote:  

Not sure what kind of work you do (bio or chem)...

I'm equating lab science to wet lab, as opposed to 'dry lab' which can be done anywhere with an internet connection (unless of course you need a powerful server, which you can likely still connect to remotely anyway). This is one of my regrets, not studying computer science and/or math/physics w/ real stat skills, as I DO know dry-lab scientists with favorable lifestyles, getting work done on yachts in the Mediterranean. Those papers come by really quickly, too.

So by lab science/wet-lab, I pretty much exclusively mean labs running bio and/or chem experiments. And yes, a lot of people waste time, including me. I know I have to be more efficient, no doubt. I'm just sending out feelers to see if anyone HAS been able to achieve that balance, so I can pick their brain a bit. On that note:

Quote: (02-21-2014 11:21 AM)FunctionalPsycho Wrote:  

Roosh was a scientist before he started traveling around the world.

Roosh is a great example of someone with game. However, and I don't know much about his life, he didn't pursue science at the level I'm talking about, meaning working in a lab specifically to publish novel findings/developments (cursory look on google scholar & web of science yielded no results). I mean specifically achieving success as a scientist at the graduate level and beyond.

Quote: (02-22-2014 09:54 AM)Sonsowey Wrote:  

Online game could be best to squeeze in to whatever free time you have.

This is a whole other topic, but I've gotten some play on okc. To not get too into this, in short the problem I've had on there is quality. Some of those bangs I feel have taken a piece of my soul I'll never have back. More importantly, it's a HUGE crutch… online can keep me going with a steady stream of 6s and the rare (damaged) 7, but that's utterly depressing. I need to up my 'real' game.

Quote: (02-22-2014 10:51 AM)Marlfox Wrote:  

2. Steer more towards chemical engineering if possible (process/production chemist).

Had a very good chance for that in undergrad, but opted/was steered to other shit… ChemE is very practical. Most people in grad school are delusionally optimistic… that's me.

I know this thread screams of a pussy complaining about how much my vag hurts. Thanks for your input.

Some of the best game I've seen has come from experimental scientists. I think you're just hanging out with the wrong crowd.

The biggest danger is getting stuck in the lab for more than a few hours a day. Isolation will kill your game. Learn to work smarter not harder. Get other people to do shit for you. Provide value that goes above and beyond being a pair of hands and you'll find the amount of time you need to spend in the lab greatly reduced. I got through a heavy experimental degree without ever spending more than 20hrs a week in the lab (usually way less). I had other skills that I traded in exchange for getting undergrads, other grad students, and even some post docs to do the labor intensive shit for me.

If you're still in grad school take advantage of being around tons of undergrads. TA an easy intro to science class or tutor. As long as you're cool girls will find you attractive because of your position of perceived power. The effect lasts longer than the semester so just game indirectly until the class is over or you've stopped tutoring them then make a move if they haven't first. Get involved in a club, the outdoors/adventure clubs are usually pretty good.

Conferences are another great source for easy notches. Usually convention centers and associated hotels are pretty conveniently located to the local scene. Instant logistics. I did quite well at conferences even before I discovered Game.

Most importantly find some good role models. Don't let this become a limiting belief.

I'm not sure how it might work in the states, but here in the UK there are quite a few chem eng jobs that are open to applications from both engineers and pure chemists.

It doesn't sound of complaining. It's a worthwhile thread topic, because chemistry isn't really a profession that attracts a lot of 'naturals'.

I find lab environments suffer from less office politics and afford a greater deal of personal and professional autonomy. It can be quite a good area for international travel also.

This applies to anyone in a career where you work a lot of hours with people who have crap social skills. In other words, a lot of guys are in your situation. People make the same complaint in finance, medicine, law. One friend of mine owns/runs a pizza place and complains about the same thing.

Be efficient with your time at work. Build your business or career and be smart about it. If you are going to spend so much time at it, you better like it and it better count for something in the end if not along the way.

Are you in graduate school?

Do you live in a lab? How do you get there? Train? Bus? Car? Walk? Cycle?
Unless you have been developing teleportation and have perfected it, (please make us aware i.e let us invest in the shares),
You should have the opportunity to Game.

Working in a lab with females has it's benefits especially if they take a liking to you, but in reality if I had to chose who I was working with ,I would chose Men 90% of the time. Mixing Work and Pleasure is a bad idea in my books.

The Triangle above is a bit of a running joke in my Science circle. It takes superb self-discipline to balance Sleep,Work and Game if you want it all.
You wanna go out then, you need to have your work done and drink sparingly, if you don't pull Females then you need to be in bed by 1:00/2:00 and up at 8:00/9:00.. Kinda depends on how long you need to sleep as well.
It's a difficult life. Fucked if I know why I chose it [Image: biggrin.gif]

But more information would be appreciated.

Interesting discussion. I have a bachelors in chem and am currently doing lab work at a testing company. Pay sucks but it's permanent and has health benefits, which is better than a lot of other recent grads in any major are doing. I graduated a few years ago, and am now trying to find a way to apply my background to the business side of things as I want to move outside of a lab environment.

I became interested in entrepreneurship, but cannot find any way to combine it with my background, other than tutoring. So I am just getting involved with internet marketing and other ventures not related to my science background. I am trying to find out more about technical writing to see if it would be a viable option. I am also trying to learn copywriting.

I figured out I was better as a theorist than an experimentalist but I know a whole lot about being a scientist.

I'll tell you what I tell kids interested in science. if you're smart enough to do science, you're smart enough to make a lot more money doing something else. It seems you've realized this and are trying to go the business route. Get out of the lab ASAP, both for the sake of your career and for getting laid.

I've got the dick so I make the rules.
-Project Pat

Worked in the dungeons of industrial chemistry for 25 years. It really sucks if you are trying to meet women in that field. As I left in 9 years ago, things may have changed. Most of the women I encountered were "technicians" who did quality control work. Unless you were an alpha dog in the lab, they wouldn't give you the time of day.

Being a STEM grad student isn't exactly a panty-dropper, but it aint bad. You're probably on the computer a lot, so if night game is too time-consuming, just raise your standards some and keep hitting up online broads.

I second what Ensam said about conferences. You've got a captive audience of women (often quite thirsty) and a lot of the other guys will have zero charisma.