rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Becoming a chef?

Becoming a chef?

Hey guys,

I searched the forum for advice but nothing that related or answered my question.

A little background, I'm 19 going on 20. I live in L.A. Now I'm currently attending university and I'm pursuing a major in English. I know there's not much of opportunities and if there is it's hard but I was thinking along the lines of being a professor or teacher, somewhere in that realm. Also sometimes I feel like university is a waste of time and money, by my exposure to the red pill I know it's not as fruitful as it once was. Before people recommend other majors or even if I'm jumping ahead of myself here know that I promised myself that I was not going to pursue a major just for the money, I genuinely like English and I am a person with an interest in the arts, I can't see myself doing a job outside of the arts but nonetheless I'm open minded.

Now I've had interest in cooking for a while and I enjoy it and I try to practice it daily whether it's at home or at the job (a fast food restaurant). I am a cook. Now I've been thinking about getting a higher paying job so I can finally move out of my parent's house, but as of now it's tough with my income, expenses and tuition etc. I was thinking of getting a culinary arts certification or degree but it's not offered at my university. Getting this certification would open the doors for higher paying jobs and I would even consider becoming a chef, I can really see my self doing this. I also like the fact the that being a chef is semi-location independent. So I've been thinking:

-Should I cut down on university and number of courses I'm taking and make an investment in getting a certification somewhere else? If so where? Any culinary institutions that are affordable/prestigious? (note I'm in L.A.)

-Should I just dropout of college and try to immerse myself into learning and improving in culinary arts.

-Should I just work my way up from the bottom and try to get a job at a more luxurious/prestigious restaurant (not fast food)? I have certifications are not really required and you can simply move up, start by peeling potatoes or washing dishes.

-Are any of you here chefs and would you shed some light on the matter, in regards to becoming one and your upbringing, experience?

-Any advice for an aspiring chef?

I know my questions are very niche but I will appreciate every answer, thanks in advance!

Becoming a chef?

I have a few friends who are professionally trained, including one who is an instructor at a top culinary school in NYC.

The culinary schools are valuable because you learn about the science of food and cooking (caramelization, temperatures, etc).. flavors like umami; food safety; and also costing. The last item is what few aspiring chefs think about -- restaurants are a business, and you better know down to the penny how much that dish cost to produce and how to price it.

It can actually be drudgery, because at most restaurants the menu will change at most once a season, so most of the time you're just being a line cook even if you have a better title. Then the hours are crap, and stress can be high. To become a chef, you have to work your way up.

Anthony Bourdain wrote a good book about it (Kitchen Confidential) a few years ago. Also watch Restaurant Impossible, and ignore the family crises but focus on the business stuff he goes over.

Becoming a chef?

If you're looking for a higher paying job, being a chef isn't it. I expect rates vary from country to country, but in Australia you do a 4 year apprenticeship, and upon qualifying, get paid less than a forklift driver - even at top establishments.

In addition to the shitty pay, you'll be required to work nights and weekends as a matter of course, leaving you with little chance of maintaining a social connection with anyone other than fellow hospitality workers.

You'll be working in a hot, fast paced high pressure environment where you'll get burned, sliced, abused and probably punched occasionally. There's not really much to recommend about it at all, but if it's really what you love doing....

Becoming a chef?

@parinano by profesionally trained do you mean they have a certification/degree? would you have an idea on how long that took for them?

Let me see if i can rephrase this a little better.

Maybe I misled people by saying I want to be a chef, I would consider it but my main focus would be getting a certification from a culinary school, if it will be worth it in order to get a little higher income while doing something i like which is cooking. But yes if that goes well i would consider put in the work and the business aspect.

Becoming a chef?

First read all he wrote, then go ask to trail Thedude3737 he's here in LA. I worked as a private cook for a bit. it's ok. it is def fun, but one can do better than $20/h a millionaire family paid.

Iif you really want to learn from a school go here. http://college.lattc.edu/culinaryarts/ It's a community college program and the oldest culinary school in the country. glendale/mission colleges also have a program. in Winnetka there is west valley occupational center where tuition is $100 for 6 months of 8 hour hands on days.

Becoming a chef?

Quote: (02-20-2014 12:35 AM)calihunter Wrote:  

First read all he wrote, then go ask to trail Thedude3737 he's here in LA. I worked as a private cook for a bit. it's ok. it is def fun, but one can do better than $20/h a millionaire family paid.

Iif you really want to learn from a school go here. http://college.lattc.edu/culinaryarts/ It's a community college program and the oldest culinary school in the country. glendale/mission colleges also have a program. in Winnetka there is west valley occupational center where tuition is $100 for 6 months of 8 hour hands on days.

Definitely will, and yea i've heard about his steaks but i will read up on his posts. Did you get a chance to trail him?
Nice, on my end 20/hour is a nice amount. This trade school seems promising and i don't know how i haven't heard of it, thanks!

Becoming a chef?

I tend to get longwinded when talking about this shit so I'll keep it short and sweet and if you have any further questions then ask away.

A certification will open absolutely zero doors for you. None. Zip. Zilch. I've worked at high end, low end, and everything in between. 5 star 5 diamond hotel properties, michelin starred restaurants, and in 13 years I've never once been asked for a copy of my culinary degree. I never even went to my own graduation or picked up my diploma.

If you do decide to do some schooling, I wholeheartedly second the recommendation above to take some sort of community college class or cheap 2-3 month program. You should not spend more than $1500 on a culinary certification. These kids that are spending $50K+ are getting swindled and are in the exact same predicament as kids in college; taking on massive debt that they cannot and will not pay off.

If you already have a job at a fast food restaurant there is zero reason for you to go to school. Keep doing what you're doing and change jobs every 6 months to a year, but make sure you move up. While you're working fast food, buy a curiculum book like Wayne Gisslen's Professional Cooking. It's the same exact book they use in the $50K/year schools and any knucklehead can figure this shit out at home. All you really need to do is practice your knife skills and get used to working with food. Make sure you can do a large, medium, and small dice quickly with onions, carrots, potatoes, and so on, and then apply for a prep cook job with a large company like a hotel or some corporate outfit. Tell them you'll work for pennies. Chances are they'll pay you more than the high end fancy restaurants and maybe throw in some benefits. So while your peers are burning up tens of thousands of dollars learning how make obscure useless shit like Sauce Choron, you're getting paid to get real life experience and get your hands dirty.

Being a chef is about getting that break. Once you get that prep cook job, show up 15 min early every day and never call in sick and show the chef that you're more driven than the rest of his lazy fucks. While you're doing prep work, start looking over the shoulder of the salad guy and start learning his moves. One day he'll call in sick and that's your shot to jump over and tell the chef, "I've got it boss." This is how you move up. From the time you take your first prep cook job to getting your first shot on the hot line (saute or grill) can take as little as two years if you push yourself, you're smart, learn fast, and know how and when to cut corners and sabotage your peers.

It goes like this:

Prep cook
Salad cook
Hot Appetizer cook
Grill Cook
Saute Cook
Sous Chef
Chef de Cuisine
Executive Chef

Always be asking yourself, "Am I getting money or knowledge?" If you answer "No" then it's time to move to a different job. Try not to work less than a year because employers don't like job hoppers but in the beginning it's fine. Be willing to work longer, harder, dirtier and endure more than your peers and you will succeed in this industry without a doubt. Once you're a chef be prepared for some burnout and you will not have the same hungry passion that you once had, but at that point this life compensates you pretty well and you can take solace in knowing you kept out of the soul-sucking cubicle world to do something with your hands and be part of a sub culture.

Shit, here I was trying not to be longwinded...

"...so I gave her an STD, and she STILL wanted to bang me."

TEAM NO APPS

TEAM PINK

Becoming a chef?

@TheDude. Nice post dude. +1 rep from me when I get back to my desktop. And yeah, I'm not knowledge on the culinary arts, but I keep hearing from people who went to culinary schools that those schools are just a rip-off. One dude I know was even a member of a law-suit against one for false promises, some crap like that. And yes on that, if you aren't getting skills and money, then it's time to move on. It's why I'm thinking of dropping out of college and going to the trades.

Becoming a chef?

Quote: (02-20-2014 01:56 AM)thedude3737 Wrote:  

I tend to get longwinded when talking about this shit so I'll keep it short and sweet and if you have any further questions then ask away.

Thanks dude,

So if I understood correctly:
Schooling would be an extra requisite on my part, if I'm already exposed to this in the fast food business maybe I should consider an upgrade to a better/different restaurant? i.e. olive gardens, applebees, black angus. Where I am at we prep and cook up chicken, salmon, steak, shrimp, I have a good grasp on them so I will focus on my knife and dicing skills. Of course and like everything perseverance and hard work. Great advice here.

I understood that you took culinary schooling I just wanted to know what is their premise, what can schooling provide for one that cannot be attainable in the real world, what insights?

Thanks in advance.

Becoming a chef?

oh yeah. if you do need that professional cooking book pm me. I'll sell you mine for $25. if you need good knives go buy some victornox ones from amazon. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=bl_sr_kitche...de=284507. 8 or 10 inch and a pairing one. best knives for under $100 also go read everything on http://forums.egullet.org/ http://forums.foodservice.com/ http://www.cheftalk.com/f/

Becoming a chef?

Quote: (02-20-2014 02:45 AM)OMYG Wrote:  

Quote: (02-20-2014 01:56 AM)thedude3737 Wrote:  

Thanks dude,

So if I understood correctly:
Schooling would be an extra requisite on my part, if I'm already exposed to this in the fast food business maybe I should consider an upgrade to a better/different restaurant? i.e. olive gardens, applebees, black angus. Where I am at we prep and cook up chicken, salmon, steak, shrimp, I have a good grasp on them so I will focus on my knife and dicing skills. Of course and like everything perseverance and hard work. Great advice here.

I understood that you took culinary schooling I just wanted to know what is their premise, what can schooling provide for one that cannot be attainable in the real world, what insights?

Thanks in advance.

Yep, if you feel like you've learned all that you can from your current kitchen, and you've put in 6 months to a year, time to move on.

What exactly are you looking for from this industry? Do you want to cook in fine dining restaurants and learn how to make creative food that looks pretty on a plate? Do you want to be a well-known, innovative chef? Do you want to be a corporate or hotel chef making 6 figures? There's a slightly different path for each of these.

Cooking school teaches you fundamentals like mother sauces and stock making, many of which aren't in use anymore, not in most kitchens. And even in that case, there are things that I consider fundamentals that kids out of school don't even know. I've had pastry cooks work for me who don't know the proper way to make simple syrup. I don't even know how that's fucking possible. Kids that come out and don't know the correct ratio for roux to thicken soups and sauces. In fact, I'm not sure what the hell these kids are learning in school because 99.99% of them are absolutely useless. The rare good cook that I get, they're not good because they went to school. They're good because they have a strong work ethic and are able to follow directions.

Speaking personally, very little of what I learned in school helped me get to where I am. I'm a fast learner and I picked shit up on the fly that got me ahead. It wasn't the techniques that I learned, it's how to work in the kitchen. Being a good cook is like being an athlete. Fuck saucemaking, you need to know how to move your ass and get shit done quickly. I learned that being a good cook means moving twice as fast as your competition, getting your prep done sooner, firing your dishes faster, making your food look prettier. This isn't mental, it's physical.

I'm not sure what you're trying to get out of this profession, but my all-purpose recommendation is spend 2 years working in either no-name restaurants, or large corporations, but make sure they're BUSY. Busy as hell. You should be working at a place that does a few hundred covers every night. The absolute most #1 desired trait in a cook is having a sense of urgency, and you don't get that by working in a sleepy mom 'n' pop operation.

Forget cooking school and techniques. This is what makes a good cook:

1. sense of urgency
2. punctual
3. clean
4. performs under pressure
5. team player
6. never calls in sick
7. takes direction. There's only one right answer in the kitchen: "Yes chef."
8. consistent
9. responsible
10. seeks out new tasks

Seriously, these 10 traits make up the ideal cook, and fewer than 1% of all cooks do this. They don't teach any of this in cooking school. They teach kids to be high maintenance egomaniacs whose sole desire is to be the next celebrity chef, and none of them can even dice an onion or cook a steak properly.

TEAM NO APPS

TEAM PINK

Becoming a chef?

I'm a chef part time also with zero experience aside from cooking at home.

Be early and be quick.

That's the only shit my job needs, most cats are lazy as fuck, just be and on the ball and your good. I bullshitted about my experience, I work side by side with cooking college grads whom are slaved to the job because it pays well for what it is. I'd never do this shit long term, I work for a massive corporation and I hate the crap that comes with needing some long winded process to get a new fuking knife. Only thing that is glaring is that my chop skills are kinda shit, but I make up for it in other ways though so my boss dosn't dog me for it.

Becoming a chef?

Wow some great info here. +1 Rep from me.

Becoming a chef?

http://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/commen...s_the_one/

Becoming a chef?

Quote: (02-19-2014 11:26 PM)paninaro Wrote:  

The culinary schools are valuable because you learn about the science of food and cooking (caramelization, temperatures, etc).. flavors like umami; food safety; and also costing. The last item is what few aspiring chefs think about -- restaurants are a business, and you better know down to the penny how much that dish cost to produce and how to price it.

All this is true. My best friend is a chef and did really well at it. He was exec chef for a big chain and did great because he was good at food costs, managing people, and generally running a kitchen. I was talking to him about it and he said one thing that stuck with me: "you cooking dinner in your kitchen and me cooking 300 meals a night are totally different things". The thing with any job is that it's not about the fun part, it's all the shitty parts that have nothing to do with why you got into the gig in the first place. Food cost and labor are the 2 gigantic headaches you'll have to accept as exec chef. OTOH, it could be a springboard into something else, and having management skills is the real key to advancement in any career. You'll make way more money managing other people than doing the work yourself.

Actually, I just went back and read what thedude wrote, so don't listen to me, do what he recommends.

Becoming a chef?

The financials side isn't too tough. Like what RockHard said it's just cost of labor and COGS (cost of goods sold) which are two constants in any management position in any industry.

There are certain percentages to hit depending on the type of restaurant it is. Obviously the lower the better but as a matter of rule the kitchen labor including management shouldn't be higher than 15% of sales and the food cost shouldn't be higher than 25%. Both of mine are way the fuck higher but that's because I'm a high maintenance bastard and since I completely revamped all the hotel food then I demand they give me tons of financial leeway. Translation: I pay more kitchen labor to do my work for me so I can cruise in here and work 4-8 hour shifts half the week and pursue other things like French and Boxing.

But that's all playing the game and it takes 10 years to learn how to do that. You can't come right out of cooking school and start making ridiculous demands, you'll get laughed out of town. That's why I asked the OP what he wanted out of this career. There are definitely ways to game the system and work a 40-50 hour workweek and make 6 figures and I'm living proof of that. I'll never be famous or have my face on some stupid culinary magazine, but if that's what the OP wants that's a possibility too but that requires 12-16 hour days and 100% commitment. I've had many opportunities to move up in some very well known organizations with guys like Mario Batali and Jose Andres and the like, but those are just chefs busting their ass to make someone else look good and they get paid shit money. I've got friends that I came up with, they have the exact same experience as me, but the difference is they chased after cuisine and fame and I chased after money. We've worked just as long in this industry and they might have a bigger name but I'm clearing over twice what they bring home.

The main choice in this field is:

-High end cuisine, big name chefs, celebrity culture, shitty pay

-Corporate cooking, hotels, benefits, fantastic pay

I started out chasing the former and made my bones in those restaurants, and then one day wised up and realized my hard work is just making some asshole rich, and most of it is for ego. A couple years ago I transitioned into the latter scenario and my quality of life has skyrocketed exponentially.

TEAM NO APPS

TEAM PINK

Becoming a chef?

Quote: (02-21-2014 04:50 PM)thedude3737 Wrote:  

-Corporate cooking, hotels, benefits, fantastic pay

Excellent point. My bud runs a corporate kitchen now. Works something like 6AM - 3PM M-F, weekends off, pays as well as his higher prestige gigs but his life is so much better now. It's not shit food either, I believe it's at an investment bank and those guys like to eat well.

Becoming a chef?

Lots of good info here and I'd like to throw in my two cents. If you want to cook and start your own restaurant one day, there is a path to that and your best start is working for free from the ground up. I have no interest in working in a restaurant, and have made a good living in other areas like being a private chef, teaching, etc. These routes are very dependent on who you know and how much they like you, just saying.

Be wary of chef schools, as a lot of chefs I work with constantly complain on how much money they wasted. These schools like Le Cordon Bleu are based around bringing in as many aspiring cooks as possible and churning them out with no guarantee of a chef gig in the future. It's like law schools pumping out more lawyers then the actual amount of law jobs available.

"Desserts are like mistresses. They are bad for you. So if you are having one, you might as well have two." - Alain Ducasse

Becoming a chef?

I agree with those who say chef school or a certificate won't do anything for you... There is a skill set and foundation that comes with doing the basics over and over- Pealing a ton of potatoes, prepping veggies, organizing a walk in cooler etc..
I manage a restaurant- Here's what I suggest- get any job in the best restaurant you can, one with a reputation for their food especially one with French technique/ influence. Wash their dishes as fast as possible, better than anyone else has and then tell the chef you will help peal potatoes or whatever the fuck he wants... Be there on time and work your ass off, don't bitch, and do everything outside your job description that you can while still doing your job to an exceptional level. Then one day someone won't show up and they will need help. You will be there and you will prove yourself and no longer be the dishwasher but you will have a respect and deep understanding of the dish room and how important it is. Then when you are ' in the weeds' cooking on the line you will get help from dishwashers that others don't get because you treat the dishwasher with ... Continue to work hard, ask questions, and offer to do your bosses job.

I've worked in many high end restaurants with great chefs and none of them went to culinary school. They learned from experience and were mentored by someone.

I specifically don't hire people with culinary certificates and little televant experience because they tend to think they are worth more than they are and above the necessary non glamorous tasks like cleaning hoods, deep fryers, ovens, grease sheds, etc. I'd rather get someone with experience and desire to learn. Good luck!

Becoming a chef?

I agree with those who say chef school or a certificate won't do anything for you... There is a skill set and foundation that comes with doing the basics over and over- Pealing a ton of potatoes, prepping veggies, organizing a walk in cooler etc..
I manage a restaurant- Here's what I suggest- get any job in the best restaurant you can, one with a reputation for their food especially one with French technique/ influence. Wash their dishes as fast as possible, better than anyone else has and then tell the chef you will help peal potatoes or whatever the fuck he wants... Be there on time and work your ass off, don't bitch, and do everything outside your job description that you can while still doing your job to an exceptional level. Then one day someone won't show up and they will need help. You will be there and you will prove yourself and no longer be the dishwasher but you will have a respect and deep understanding of the dish room and how important it is. Then when you are ' in the weeds' cooking on the line you will get help from dishwashers that others don't get because you treat the dishwasher with ... Respect .
Continue to work hard, ask questions, and offer to do your bosses job.

I've worked in many high end restaurants with great chefs and none of them went to culinary school. They learned from experience and were mentored by someone.

I specifically don't hire people with culinary certificates and little televant experience because they tend to think they are worth more than they are and above the necessary non glamorous tasks like cleaning hoods, deep fryers, ovens, grease sheds, etc. I'd rather get someone with experience and desire to learn. Good luck!

Becoming a chef?

Thanks all! Gor some great insight here and will take your advice to heart. Thanks @SDGuerro @TheChef @Rockhard

@thedude
As of now what I am looking for is simply a job that I would enjoy doing while making money. If all is well and I really find more interest and drive then I will follow in this career path. I understand the difference between cooking at home and as a job and I truly enjoy both. Since I believe I perform well under pressure I approach the kitchen with excitement. But making money as you stated would not be a bad deal at all, I am also not after that flashy celebrity status just a job that keeps a roof on my head and that I will enjoy doing.

And yes like eveyrthing in life, hard work, and persistence is the key, just like in game or in any goal we each have the journey that you endure all the bullshit that comes your way is a test of how much you want something. The journey is a filter and only the ones that truly want it achieve it. Like in every aspect or endeavor in life.

Becoming a chef?

Quote: (02-25-2014 04:10 AM)OMYG Wrote:  

Thanks all! Gor some great insight here and will take your advice to heart. Thanks @SDGuerro @TheChef @Rockhard

@thedude
As of now what I am looking for is simply a job that I would enjoy doing while making money. If all is well and I really find more interest and drive then I will follow in this career path. I understand the difference between cooking at home and as a job and I truly enjoy both. Since I believe I perform well under pressure I approach the kitchen with excitement. But making money as you stated would not be a bad deal at all, I am also not after that flashy celebrity status just a job that keeps a roof on my head and that I will enjoy doing.

And yes like eveyrthing in life, hard work, and persistence is the key, just like in game or in any goal we each have the journey that you endure all the bullshit that comes your way is a test of how much you want something. The journey is a filter and only the ones that truly want it achieve it. Like in every aspect or endeavor in life.

Well I'm not sure what you would enjoy...making fancy food? Doing high volume? But anyway as far as making money, most cooks top out at $18 an hour or so, and those jobs are relatively rare. That's a lead cook position at a hotel with a large labor budget. The bulk of cook jobs pay about $11-$14 per hour (at least in California)

Anyway, good luck out there, check back with your experiences. A couple extra tidbits:

-if your checks start bouncing, give them 24 hours to get you your money. If you don't get it, get the fuck out.

-always, ALWAYS try to fuck the waitstaff, especially the hostess. Once you cross the line into management and become a sous chef, this becomes a problem and you can't really do it anymore without getting into some hot water

TEAM NO APPS

TEAM PINK

Becoming a chef?

Ive been working as a line cook for a while and I second every single thing thedude posted. The most important qualities you can bring are speed and efficiency. I dont think people truly understand/appreciate just how fast a good cook has to work when a restaurant is busy or semi-busy. Bourdain mentioned in one of his books about how if youre fat, stay out of the kitchen cuz youll only be in the way lol. If you look at the top chefs throughout the world they all tend to be on the skinny side and theres a reason for it: the work is brutal.

Besides Bourdain, I would also recommend 2 other books on the subject of becoming a chef: The Soul of a Chef and The Making of a Chef both by Michael Ruhlman. Excellent insight into the business.

Becoming a chef?

Echoing The Dude, the only real way to excel in cooking is to actually work. When I was 15 I started at McDonald's, then to Wendys, then to Denny's where I ran a busy shift and really learned how to cook, then a restaurant in NYC that I helped open in 1994, and made it to sous chef, which is still open on 57th st in Manhattan. I think once I learned how to debone chickens, prepare seafood and prep for a massive shift, I really learned how to be a chef. I cooked from age 15-20. By the time I made sous chef, I was burnt out. I was never really into the lifestyle, I never wanted to have my whole life revolve around the restaurant, namely, the people in the restaurant, even though it was a fun party lifestyle, I had to get out.. My only real passion was cooking, which I still immensely enjoy. Most of the people I knew who wanted to be cooks by going to school never made it, they basically gave up after graduation when they found out how hard it is. Only one guy became an EC for a higher end chain in the midwest, but he kind of sucked as a cook.

Becoming a chef?

Quote: (02-19-2014 10:47 PM)OMYG Wrote:  

Hey guys,

I searched the forum for advice but nothing that related or answered my question.

A little background, I'm 19 going on 20. I live in L.A. Now I'm currently attending university and I'm pursuing a major in English. I know there's not much of opportunities and if there is it's hard but I was thinking along the lines of being a professor or teacher, somewhere in that realm. Also sometimes I feel like university is a waste of time and money, by my exposure to the red pill I know it's not as fruitful as it once was. Before people recommend other majors or even if I'm jumping ahead of myself here know that I promised myself that I was not going to pursue a major just for the money, I genuinely like English and I am a person with an interest in the arts, I can't see myself doing a job outside of the arts but nonetheless I'm open minded.

Now I've had interest in cooking for a while and I enjoy it and I try to practice it daily whether it's at home or at the job (a fast food restaurant). I am a cook. Now I've been thinking about getting a higher paying job so I can finally move out of my parent's house, but as of now it's tough with my income, expenses and tuition etc. I was thinking of getting a culinary arts certification or degree but it's not offered at my university. Getting this certification would open the doors for higher paying jobs and I would even consider becoming a chef, I can really see my self doing this. I also like the fact the that being a chef is semi-location independent. So I've been thinking:

-Should I cut down on university and number of courses I'm taking and make an investment in getting a certification somewhere else? If so where? Any culinary institutions that are affordable/prestigious? (note I'm in L.A.)

-Should I just dropout of college and try to immerse myself into learning and improving in culinary arts.

-Should I just work my way up from the bottom and try to get a job at a more luxurious/prestigious restaurant (not fast food)? I have certifications are not really required and you can simply move up, start by peeling potatoes or washing dishes.

-Are any of you here chefs and would you shed some light on the matter, in regards to becoming one and your upbringing, experience?

-Any advice for an aspiring chef?

I know my questions are very niche but I will appreciate every answer, thanks in advance!

I wanted to be a chef when I was younger, I wound up deciding against it as the hours and lifestyle is both cool and a downside as well.

Not sure if you've ever worked in kitchens but its a hectic but fun environment, joking around, swearing at each other, etc. Long hours and late nights but everyone often goes out late night or goes out on industry nights, its kind of a fun not stuffy atmosphere.

That said your working nights, weekends and holidays. The other thing that kinda turned me off was the pay. Yeah sure you can start your own restaurant or if you become known or work in higher end restaurants there's some money to be made but if your not one of the few your working very hard for very low wages. Its tough to start your own thing when banks won't fund restaurants so you have to come up with capital yourself but you don't make a ton of money. There are more creative ways to doing this like food trucks or catering which require less startup.

My girls uncle is a chef, he does pretty well for himself, he has his own catering bbq company as well but his day job is working for a hospital or nursing home doing thier menus. If your after money I'd suggest maybe in addition to learnign to cook really pick a niche and educate yourself on nutrition and all these new gluton free and specialty diets.

I also have a buddy who went to culinary school and he's doing pretty well also but he's moved up more to management and event planning though he still enjoys cooking.

I would go the route of working in a restaurant vs going to school, dont get into debt but learn all the same stuff and in practice not just in theory. You may also be able to get a restaurant you work for to send you to culinary school or pay for other educational opportunities.