rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Job Boards and Community Sites

I separated after a 9 year stint in the US Air Force. Now I pay the bills doing freelance web development. Client work is alright but less than stimulating half of the time. I keep stimulated by doing side projects. This also helps me keep up with coding trends and new techniques.

Lately I've decided to try and make some money from these projects. I've created a local job board that runs only tech jobs. The problem is getting businesses initially interested in posting jobs. Right now I've just seeded it with jobs I've copied and pasted from larger job search sites (is that legal?).

Does anyone have experience starting up a job board? Have any tips? If I could get a single business to pay for a listing, I would consider that a success.

My next idea is to create a site for military members to post ads for items they are trying to sell. It's kind of like craigslist but for a local area around a military base. Military members are moving all the time and I think it would make sense to have a simple site for them to offload their unwanted stuff or pick up someone else's unwanted stuff. The site would be free to post but I would charge local businesses who want to target a military demographic for ad space.

Where could I find a good model for how much to charge for ads, should I charge per impression, click, etc?

If there are any other coders out there who make money creating small business apps like this, PM me and I would love to share more details and get feedback.

Post this in wickedfire

https://www.troopswap.com/