rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

How do you get your daily protein intake?

I've known for a few months that I need 140 grams to keep my LBM, but I just sat down to calculate what that actually looks like in food.

Christ, that's like 5 chicken breasts everyday, or 5 god awful protein shakes.

What do you guys do?

WIA

I stopped drinking protein shakes. Protein packed smoothies are much better.

I dont really have any set measurements.

frozen fruit, milk, two cups of whey protein, peanut butter, plain Greek yogurt, and an avocado.

It tastes pretty good and it probably has around 50 grams of protein.

Much better than a protein shake.

Make heavier duty protein shakes, I put at least 40-50 grams worth of MetRX protein powder in.

Meal 1:
Protein Shake(25 g of protein)
2 Tablespoons of Organic Peanut Butter(7 g)

Meal 2:
About 6 oz of chicken, beef, turkey or can of tuna(30-50g)

Meal 3:
Protein Shake(25 g)
2 Tablespoons of Organic Peanut Butter(7 g)

Meal 4:
6 oz of steak, chicken, beef, or can of tuna(30-50g)
2oz of almonds(10 g)

Meal 5:
Protein shake(25 g)

Meal 6:
3 eggs(20 g)
3 oz of chicken, beef, turkey or can of tuna(20-30 g)

Currently trying to put on mass. In addition, on days where I eat alot of carbs which is about 4 days a week ill eat 1/2-3/4 cups of black beans, lentils(or some kind of similar mixture) twice a day which is about 16-30 grams total.

I agree with all of the previously mentioned sources, but cans of tuna are also great. Mix it with a little mayo and black pepper, and perhaps some chopped onion and you've got a great protein meal. Just go easy on them, like one every couple of days, because of the mercury content.

I also usually have 3 eggs with ground chicken or lean ground pork and shredded cheese every morning after the gym. Also, cheap cuts of meat that you can cook in large quantities are great (ie. pork shoulder in a slow cooker for 8 hours = pulled pork).

'Logic Over Emotion Since 2013'

typical bfast -

3 eggs - 18g protein
1 ham steak - 11g protein
1 plain greek yogurt - 11g protein
1 protein shake - 25g proterin

= 65g protein.

typical lunch -
turkey breast sandwich x 2 = 25ish grams protein
almonds or peanut butter or some small protein snack - 10g
- 35g protein

typical dinner-
chicken breastx 2 - 40g
some form of vegetables - maybe a couple grams
small portion of potatoes/squash/something - maybe a couple grams
Protein Shake - 25g
-65-70g protein

that gives me around 165-170g protein. which is what I need when I'm working out hard. I try to eat like that during the week since my weekend diets are normally pretty shitty in comparison

tuna sandwiches that have been mentioned are great. I keep a small mixing bowl filled with a mixture of tuna/mayo/relish/and lemon pepper. super quick to throw together a sammich if your on the run or just grab a couple bitefulls for a mid-day snack

God'll prolly have me on some real strict shit
No sleeping all day, no getting my dick licked

The Original Emotional Alpha

delete

Quote:Quote:

Christ, that's like 5 chicken breasts everyday, or 5 god awful protein shakes.

Don't make your protein shakes god awful, because you'll stop drinking them. I use coconut milk, ACV, stevia, cinnamon, and 2-3oz of whey protein isolate, which provides between 56 and 84 grams of protein, and it tastes like egg nog pretty much (don't overdo the ACV, throw in a banana if you want some carbs). Doing that twice a day and eating 4-8 eggs is all I need for protein really, and I'm 220lbs. This is a general guideline of how I do it. I do get it from other sources, but don't eat as much meat as most people. And as for chicken breasts, I avoid them like the plague. A good alternative would be a can of tuna a couple times a week, and a grass-fed steak a couple times a week.

For starters I don't complain about how much I need to eat to get the body/physique I want.

You don't need as much protein as the muscle comics (owned by supplement companies that sell protein powders) say. There are a lot of tasty protein powders and a protein shake is a real treat to me if you know how to make good recipes.

I have no trouble getting my protein in because I train hard and my body is hungry for food to fuel activities and to repair muscle tissue. Live a more demanding physical lifestyle and work up an appetite.

Cotta cheese, eggs, steak, dark meat chicken (tastes better than breasts) without skin, 0% fat greek yogurt, chili, protein bars, protein powders, turkey legs, roast pork, and on and on.

Don't forget about the beans and nuts, they are easy to make and packed with good protein.

Lentils, quinoa, black beans, pinto beans, white beans, all types of nuts, etc.

I think many protein powders are highly overrated. It's better eat real food that is protein rich.

In my opinion, a few eggs with avocado is better than most protein powder. Or, wild/brown rice mixed with lots lentils and some cheese.

That said, I know there are some quality protein powders out there, I just think most of them are do not deliver the high quality protein that we should be eating.

I don't eat anything that comes from those disgusting slaughter house cows.

Use a quality protein powder.

One of my favorites recipes is "Protein Soup":

A bunch of meat
A bunch of beans
A bunch of veges
A bunch of spices

Put it all in a big pot and simmer for a few hours. This can also be done in a crock pot.

Here is a more detailed plan to make a great soup..

Gio's Simple Soup

Soup is great because its so easy to eat and digest. You can eat a lot of protein soup and won't fill you up so much because it is mostly liquid and very soft. The body can absorb and process it very easily.

Good looking out everyone. No more fumbling through the grocery store.

I'm cutting right now so I get 80% of it from protein powder. I want to avoid the accompanying fats/carbs in whole foods and I otherwise can't be bothered to cook. The taste sucks but I can manage.

Previously Libertas posted a link to Scooby's natural bulking bars. These could be another addition to your protein intake and a change up from drinking shakes. I've been making them for the past couple of months. They're perfect if you are busy and need a quick, healthy snack. A batch usually lasts 7-8 days.

I've taken his recipe and adjusted it to my taste; powdered goat milk instead of powdered cow's milk, blackstrap molasses instead of honey, garbanzo flour, or ground flax seed, instead of oats. In addition, I'll add hemp seeds, crushed walnuts, sunflower seeds and any other seeds in the pantry. You can also use almond butter if your budget allows it.

These bars are delicious and have plenty of protein and calories. Just be careful about eating them at night because the cocoa powder contains caffeine.

“When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.”

- George Carlin

I've played with 1g/lb of bodyweight and beyond that. No differences as far as I can tell beyond satiety and food variety. Currently hitting around 250g of protein per training day at 169lbs.

I do intermittent fasting. My main meal I have after training is:

675g greek yogurt
140g mixed berries
2 scoops of cinnamon swirl whey protein powder
102g Kashi GoLean
1 cup skim milk

= 1,100 cal, 153g protein

Rest of the day can be anything but often is a Chipotle bowl with double chicken (800 calories, 75 protein), scrambled eggs, black bean chips, chicken breasts/rice/pasta etc.

My main takeaway is that #1 first meal. It hits the protein/fiber so high without busting calories that it gives you so much freedom for the rest of the day.

My Stats: 169lbs, deadlift 405x4, squat 365x1, bench 275x1. Been as low as 9% bodyfat. I post my lifting/weight stats often with nutrition advice because credibility is so loose online and it seems everybody has an opinion on protein, lifting weights, losing fat etc.

Quote: (01-29-2014 04:20 PM)bodmon Wrote:  

I'm cutting right now so I get 80% of it from protein powder. I want to avoid the accompanying fats/carbs in whole foods and I otherwise can't be bothered to cook. The taste sucks but I can manage.

80% of your food is protein shake? Because you're "cutting"? Fats and carbs are both useful in dieting. If all you're doing is drinking shakes and eating chicken, you're doing it wrong.

I try to eat a "pound" of flesh a day on training days and then fill in the rest of the gaps with two protein shakes and eggs. I don't aggressively count, aside from the fact I try to make sure each meal I have has at least 35 grams of protein in it.

Things such as heavy oat&flax hot cereals are a good amount of protein, add some nuts and it bumps it up even more.

I mess a lot with pasta and bagels. To me they are some of the best carb sources for giving me fuel to train. Whole wheat pasta and bagels I will hit hard before I train and can add 10-15 grams of protein at least your meal (Whole grain pasta, can of tuna, pesto, parsley, Romano cheese).

Just make sure you enjoy what protein you are taking in. Chicken breasts taste like dust to me and I would rather bake up some thighs and eat those instead. Shakes are just a necessity if your short for time or funds, If I could eat lean ground turkey/chicken/bison everyday I would but its not economical for me to do so.

Look into Paneer. Its just solid cottage cheese but you can do a lot with it such as grill it to give it some flavor. Very good source of protein.

Quote: (01-29-2014 07:17 PM)Doctor Wrote:  

80% of your food is protein shake? Because you're "cutting"? Fats and carbs are both useful in dieting. If all you're doing is drinking shakes and eating chicken, you're doing it wrong.

80% of my protein intake is from protein powder.

but tell me, how are fats and carbs both useful in dieting, and how is it that "If all you're doing is drinking shakes and eating chicken, you're doing it wrong"?

Quote: (01-29-2014 07:40 PM)kosko Wrote:  

Look into Paneer. Its just solid cottage cheese but you can do a lot with it such as grill it to give it some flavor. Very good source of protein.

Paneer? I'm finna become East Indian Archie.

EIA

What's wrong with protein powder? Just because it's a processed food supplement, doesn't mean that it has any less nutritional value (strictly regarding protein) than any other source?

The ballpark recommendation is 1g per lb lean mass. To purple like MikeCF, how much do you believe is the right amount?

To answer OP, I get my protein from as many different sources as possible, but the bulk would come from milk/protein powder for convenience.

Red Meat, Chicken, Salmon, Tuna.

Reporter: What keeps you awake at night?
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis: Nothing, I keep other people awake at night.

OKC Data Sheet

Real food is always better then a food supplement, no Soylent is going to replace real food. Whey is a highly processed food, one of the most processed foods on the market. Whey provides benefits for people whom need it but it shouldn't be a dominate staple of your nutrition. It digests quickly (30-40mins), and thus hits your system hard and quick, instead of a course of 3-6 hours your body takes to properly break down flesh and distribute nutrients your asking your body to do so in less then a hour with protein powders.

As far as Fats and Carbs go, all are needed energy sources. Your body needs healthy fats to produce natural HGH and Test, your cells need glucose --> insulin to function properly and transfer amino acids (complete proteins) into your muscle fibres. Everything is ideal if in moderation. A few complex carbs into your diet isn't going to make you fat; its all energy in and energy out.

Quote: (01-29-2014 09:08 PM)bodmon Wrote:  

Quote: (01-29-2014 07:17 PM)Doctor Wrote:  

80% of my protein intake is from protein powder.

but tell me, how are fats and carbs both useful in dieting, and how is it that "If all you're doing is drinking shakes and eating chicken, you're doing it wrong"?

First off, what Kosko said.

Secondly, are you challenging me because I called you out in a slightly rude manner and you think I'm trolling? Or are you challenging me because I think your protein only diet is wrong and you want to defend it?

Basic reasons why I am anti protein only. A good diet is about macro manipulation rather than removal and an emphasis on maintaining muscle mass. On top of what kosko said, if you immediately remove all carbs/fats from your diet you have no more cards to play to get through plateaus, don't use insulin to your advantage, and have 0 glycogen storage to fuel your workouts. If you kept them in and slowly cut some out as your diet progressed, you A) retain more muscle and B) get through plateaus easier.

There's a few of my reasons. Care to defend your stance on protein only with 80% of protein intake coming from shakes?

Try it for yourself. Add some fats (coconut oil, grass fed butter, MCT oil as you can easily put that in your shakes) in your diet and see if you don't feel better. If you've been on protein only for more than a week or two, have a high carb day (low fat if you get crazy and try this) and see you don't feel and look better the following few days.

Can anyone say, with a straight face, that a protein shake (fats and whatnot aside) is the equivalent to eating a steak?

Real food is basically always better than powders. The only time I think powders are better is pre, peri, and possibly post workout as food possibly interfere with training. As a general rule, I try to avoid going above 50% protein from shakes. There are also days when I go probably below 15% of my protein from shakes. I can honestly say that I don't know anyone that got jacked drinking mostly shakes. Anybody want to run an experiment and drink only shakes for a month and then eat only food for a month and compare? I don't, but there are a reason they are called supplements.

My protein sources (ranging from 1-~2.5lbs of meat a day depending on the day) are, in order of frequency, ground beef, eggs, chicken, steak, pork, seafood (with whatever is on sale that week taking some priority). I have canned wild salmon every once and a while, I'm not a huge fan of tuna, fresh wild salmon is $10+/lbs so kind of expensive, and I don't really do most dairy. I have shrimp every once in a while, but it is more of a pain in the ass to de-shell sort of thing.

I struggle to limit my protein to about 120g to stay in ketosis, so I don't know why your guys are worrying about managing to get 160g ;-)

They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety- Benjamin Franklin, as if you didn't know...

Quote: (01-30-2014 08:27 AM)roberto Wrote:  

I struggle to limit my protein to about 120g to stay in ketosis, so I don't know why your guys are worrying about managing to get 160g ;-)

Because not everyone is on a keto diet.