rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Good foam rolling resources?

There are some guys here that use foam roller. What are best resources to get started? Want to work on lower back, hip flexors, hamstrings.

If you want a cheap foam roller, buy a pool noodle and cut it in half. I think it's the same material used for foam rollers anyway.

For lower back, I put the foam roller/multilated pool noodle between myself and a wall and I do some squats up and down, pressing my back into the roller. Works well for upper back as well.

I also roll it on my arms, I just roll it with one hand upon the opposite arm.

And that's about all I can tell you on the subject.

You can use any noodle left over bits to build this handy beverage flotation device:
[Image: ku-xlarge.jpg]

I mean I don't think foam rolling has to be too complicated. I personally roll as part of my warm up, but you could just as well do it after your work out or do BOTH. I don't have a foam roller at home, but will be going to the gym today to do a little recovery work so I'll foam roll.

A quick google search yielded this article:

http://articles.elitefts.com/training-ar...m-rollers/

Also, Elliot Hulse always has solid info:

My Trigger Point came with a set of exercises, but I lost them. Youtube has some good vids. I'll give you some starting points, but look over to the right at the vid suggestions until you put together the whole body deal.

There are better vids with guys showing complete exercises, but I'd rather watch a chick in yoga pants rolling around on the floor. I got a serious thing for those pants.

I just bought this product call the body wrench. It's a bit pricey, but I think it works better than my foam rollers. I bought two, but you really only need one. It's essentially 4 lacrosse balls on a stick. I've seen a substantial increase in recovery and I don't feel as right in my lower back. Flexibility seems to be improved as well, but I stretch a lot so I can't confirm that as a direct result. Worth mentioning that I put it mad hours behind a desk doing work.

Don't be put off by the videos (I was). Yes, they're quite silly, but the product is legit. There are 20% off coupons floating around the web.

Kelly Starrett (Mobility WOD) just came out with a book, Become A Supple Leopard. It goes through each body part and describes exercises to break up tissue and increase mobility. Haven't read it yet but it's en route from Amazon.

Here's a 50 page sample.

Blog: Thumotic
Red Pill links: The Red Pill Review
Follow me on Twitter

Quote: (01-26-2014 06:44 PM)Frost Wrote:  

Kelly Starrett (Mobility WOD) just came out with a book, Become A Supple Leopard. It goes through each body part and describes exercises to break up tissue and increase mobility. Haven't read it yet but it's en route from Amazon.

Here's a 50 page sample.

That man is pure gold.
His book is easily worth 10x the price.
After a month of using the book on my trouble spots I'm 95% pain free.

Kelly youtube channel is a great resource as well. The videos are old, his new content is behind a paywall now.

Some resources:
http://www.traininginparadise.eu/wp-cont...rtson-.pdf
http://www.traininginparadise.eu/wp-cont...rtson-.pdf

For the guys who do this, do you ever work on the areas where you are pain free?

Real men use PVC pipe.

Seriously.

http://www.swolept.com/posts/critical-fo...s-the-grid

Besides, why pay $30 to $50 for a foam roller, when you can pay $5 -- and then spend the difference on booze and gaming?

Quote:Quote:

Our champions emerged: The PVC pipes! If the Bruiser was simple the PVC pipe is downright mentally challenged. It's not even a foam roller so why have it on the list? Because it works so damn well.

Price: $5-10
Firmness: Do you even need to ask?
Effectiveness: 5/5
Overall value: 5/5

Final Verdict

You don't get much harder, cheaper or reliable than PVC pipes. Put down that lululemon coupon and head to your local hardware store and pick up one these badboys. The only drawback is that they are so hard that anyone with a lot of tight muscles and scar tissue should tread carefully. Yeah you can pull it off, but it's like getting your first driving lesson in a Lamborghini Diablo.

Quote: (02-10-2014 03:56 AM)Tail Gunner Wrote:  

Real men use PVC pipe.

Seriously.

http://www.swolept.com/posts/critical-fo...s-the-grid

Besides, why pay $30 to $50 for a foam roller, when you can pay $5 -- and then spend the difference on booze and gaming?

Quote:Quote:

Our champions emerged: The PVC pipes! If the Bruiser was simple the PVC pipe is downright mentally challenged. It's not even a foam roller so why have it on the list? Because it works so damn well.

Price: $5-10
Firmness: Do you even need to ask?
Effectiveness: 5/5
Overall value: 5/5

Final Verdict

You don't get much harder, cheaper or reliable than PVC pipes. Put down that lululemon coupon and head to your local hardware store and pick up one these badboys. The only drawback is that they are so hard that anyone with a lot of tight muscles and scar tissue should tread carefully. Yeah you can pull it off, but it's like getting your first driving lesson in a Lamborghini Diablo.

ha! Funny you write this. I was about to go to Home Depot to buy a PVC pipe for foam rolling. There were a bunch of dudes outside of my apartment doing some work and I saw a pile of PVC pipes. I asked if I could have one. Sure enough they let me take it.

I started on foam but moved to PVC. I don't get any benefit from foaming like I use to. Much better with the PVC. After awhile, the only muscles that tend to get tight on me would be the IT band and my pecs. Everywhere else is squishy on my plastic pipe.

I just started foam rolling and stretching. I hoping that it will keep me from getting overuse injuries and add some flexibility to my muscles.

I seem to heal faster as well. The delayed onset soreness seems to happen the next day rather than 2 days later and is more mild. Although it hurts a lot while your doing it.

I use a PVC pipe instead of foam. It is painful at first, but wow does it get the job done.

I use it along the IT bands, quads, calves, pecs, and shoulder blades.

For the IT band, it's a chain of muscles that run on the outside of your legs. When rolling over it, it will feel like a rope. You can't normally stretch this so it will always be tight. Quads are simple, right under the thigh. For the calves, bend your foot forward to unload the muscle. On my should blades and pecs I put the pipe at a 45 degree angle away from the shoulder.

I do this as part of my warm up everyday. It helps keep my muscles loose and not tight. The difference when I take a week off from the gym versus foam rolling is astounding. Tight muscles suck.

I'd like to see a video of the pecs one. Also are you lying on the back for the calfs? I have tight calves I just found out today.

Quote: (08-17-2014 04:37 PM)kbell Wrote:  

I'd like to see a video of the pecs one. Also are you lying on the back for the calfs? I have tight calves I just found out today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBRES3n8d7c

I actually turn the foam roll in a bit. Using that video as a reference, I turn it to the right about a 45* angle.

I do lay on my back for the calves.

Quote: (08-17-2014 03:46 PM)frenchie Wrote:  

I use a PVC pipe instead of foam. It is painful at first, but wow does it get the job done.

I use it along the IT bands, quads, calves, pecs, and shoulder blades.

For the IT band, it's a chain of muscles that run on the outside of your legs. When rolling over it, it will feel like a rope. You can't normally stretch this so it will always be tight. Quads are simple, right under the thigh. For the calves, bend your foot forward to unload the muscle. On my should blades and pecs I put the pipe at a 45 degree angle away from the shoulder.

I do this as part of my warm up everyday. It helps keep my muscles loose and not tight. The difference when I take a week off from the gym versus foam rolling is astounding. Tight muscles suck.

This is gold. I have a shitty foam roller that deforms, and I'm told there is better foam but assumed it's probably expensive. Will keep an eye out for a scrap length of PVC.

As far the IT band reference: when that hurts you are truly fucked because it can be extremely painful and take a long time to recover from. One of the few experiences that has caused me to immediately stop running. It is possible to stretch in a limited way, with a modified standing forward bend with one leg ahead of the other combined with a lean toward the side your back leg is on, stretching the IT on the forward leg side. In addition to foam rolling it, another easy way to roll it out is with "The Stick" roller thing.

I foam roll all major muscles in my legs before I run full court basketball. It is much better than pre-workout stretching. However, I still prefer to stretch post workout. If you run/sprint/hop/whatever a lot then you will notice that a good foam roll session before will give you some more bounce in your step.

I first got introduced to them at my first mma gym. The new aches felt got exposed by muay thai, light yoga, and a few moderate massages from misleading livingsocial deals. I have huge quads and that is my center of gravity. The "posterior chain" as referenced by Nate

http://nexxtlevelup.com/fitness/get-your...hain-right

I will say that last night I was working out lower body kinks with these moves on my SPRI Super High Density Foam Rollers (copped at Target for 17.99)

http://www.amazon.com/SPRI-High-Density-...B00B719QVK

I focused on breathing and kegels and wielded a powerful physical advantage over the thick bitch that came over a few hours later. Try it out, it makes a difference. Power thrust that pussy.