rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Try These Bodyweight Hamstring Curls

If you are looking for an alternative exercise to strengthen your hamstrings, then give these a try. They're brutal. I've known about them for a few years but never gave them much consideration. In the past year a serious bout of tendonitis and degenerative disc disease have compelled me to give up deadlifting. These hamstring raises came to mind when considering alternatives to the hamstring machine.

This exercise can be performed on a sit up bench, facing towards the bench with the ankles hooked underneath the foot pads. If your gym doesn't have the proper apparatus, then a workout partner can hold your ankles as in the video below. I'll do 3-4 sets of 6 reps on leg day, doing a slow descent before pushing back up to the upright position. Sometimes I'll hold my position at the half way point for a good burn. I'm still unable to raise myself from a lowered position and must push up with the hands, but that's a goal to work for.

These videos explain it well.

“When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.”

- George Carlin

Why not just do glute ham raises?

Best way to work your hamstrings for reps.

Thanks Birdie. I will certainly try these on a leg day, even if just as a change up.

Also, WB the olympian chick in video no. 2.

Quote: (01-21-2014 03:44 PM)Ensam Wrote:  

Why not just do glute ham raises?

Best way to work your hamstrings for reps.

That looks like a great exercise, Ensam, but not every gym has that piece of equipment. I've never seen one in my humdrum 24 Hr. Fitness.

“When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.”

- George Carlin

So that is what this strange equipment is supposed to do!
[Image: mindblown2.png]
I could never figure it out, because I have never seen it used.

I do them and let me forewarn you that you should probably expect cramps and Charlie horses in your hammies

Glute ham raises are one of the hardest exercises I've ever tried.