rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Question on Diets/Food Intake -

2 part question -

Is there a diet/nutrition methodology I can get from a book that does not require that much of my attention span (for conditions below) - I have some books like 'Nutrition for Endurance Athletes' and a few others - but frankly it would just take up to much time and attention to take the routines and put them into practice - Now:

I am a good cook and grill year round so fixing my own food is not a problem -

What I want to do - if you read that marathon post of mine - I am running at 206 pounds - I need to drop 30 pounds to get into any 'lean' territory. This year I want to add back in weightlifting with running. In a lot of books - they say you should concentrate on loosing weight as opposed to weightlifing because you have to overeat at various points of the program to grow muscle -

What doth the forum think. I took a look at some reviews on that Bass character and people speak highly of his diet program -

I guess a question would be - what program should I follow that would not require 5 hours a week to setup- to drop as much weight as possible as fast as possible and while doing so - how much weightlifting/running could be done?

How much beer can I drink per day?

Thanks for the help -

How tall are you? Not sure why you need to drop so much weight. Every man needs to weight train, it is great for your Testosterone (manhood) and for your health. If you train hard enough you will lose weight.
If you must lose the weight then you have to decrease your calories. So beer is a no-no because it has loads of empty calories.
My advice would be to drink loads of water (4L per day) and eat every 2-3 hours, that will lean you out nicely.

Our New Blog:

http://www.repstylez.com

Try to rev up your metabolism by starting a workout routine that is meant to increase your metabolism (Beachbody Insanity is one such program). Also, while doing this routine follow a strict diet (no beer). After 2-3 months your metabolism will the much faster and you won't have to worry about eating the right foods all the time.

There is a conflict involving diet and exercise info, as I see it. In this corner, we have the "Nutrition for Endurance Athletes" book which says eat plenty of carbohydrates (and even do "carbo loading" the day before the big event -- maybe you did this before the NYC Marathon?) to maintain adequate muscle glycogen stores to fuel the long workouts. These long workouts burn lots of calories and make you lose weight and get thinner.

In the other corner, we have the weightlifting thing, where you gain (muscle) weight and get bigger. And for this, I believe the conventional wisdom is to consume lots of protein.

I don't eat and drink as healthy as I could or should, so can't really advise. For workouts, I do cardio stuff. I do mix in a little bit of strength training at that park where I run. I run over to the kids' playground area and do 20 pull-ups on the jungle gym thingy. Then I continue with the run, sometimes coming back for more pull-ups or abs exercises while hanging from the bar.

I lost alot of that stubborn fat by doing a crazy 20 minute routine.

10x pull-ups
10x push-ups
10x deadlifts
10x shoulder press
10x squats

non-stop

Not sure how old you are, but when you reach a certain age too much carbs becomes hard to burn.

Our New Blog:

Quote: (12-12-2010 07:23 PM)rudebwoy Wrote:  

I lost alot of that stubborn fat by doing a crazy 20 minute routine.

10x pull-ups
10x push-ups
10x deadlifts
10x shoulder press
10x squats

non-stop

Not sure how old you are, but when you reach a certain age too much carbs becomes hard to burn.

Rudebwoy, You can start doing that for time and try to beat your times. Also you could do it for say 5 rounds for time. That would be very similar to a crossfit w.o. Do bodyweight for squats and deadlifts and 95lbs for the s. press. Good stuff.

Yeah Fisto - that routine was crazy and I got up to 18 rounds. The sweat would pour off me in minutes.

I am a bit "lazy" these days so I do a 3 day workout. Legs, Back and Chest.

What do you do for workouts?

Our New Blog:

Man I tell anyone who will listen about crossfit. If you go to their site it gives you a workout of the day or WOD. I've done it all man, and this is the best ever for functional strength and fitness imo. Yesterday the workout I did was:

5 rounds for time

20 Pullups
30 Pushups
40 Situps
50 Squats

It doesn't look that bad but by rd 3 you're thinking you may not finish it. Esp if you're on the clock.

Cross fit also incoperates olympic lifts, kettlebells, rope climbing, pretty much anything you can think of. Everday is different. It follows a 3 days on 1 day off model. Usually the whole body is incorporated and the workouts will sometimes have back to back emphasis on one part of the body. It keeps your body guessing. There are some fit mothefuckers doing this.

[/align]Fisto, which crossfit gym do you hit?

The Crossfit by my job is something like 150$ a month. But, I've heard nothing but good things about it.

I'm over at Crossfit Las Vegas right now, when I was in L.A. I went to Dogtown Crossfit. Jim, you can't go wrong man, the people will become your good friends. You'll go to bbq's with them, bars, whatever. The atmosphere is cool but filled with hardworking people. It's like having your own personal trainer and 15 workout partners pushing you while you compete against each other. 150 is a bargain imo.