rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Gym regulars/paleo - how often do you.catch colds?

Applies to anyone who works out and eats a non typical western diet.

My trainer claims to never get sick, but I can't believe that.

I can of course believe this faceless anonymous group

WIA

If he's the average trainer that spends most of his time in the gym, grocery store, and at home then I don't see why not. We all know that when you exercise your immune system response gets a boost.

Then again we see athletes missing games because of illness all the time. The stress of the job, being around a bunch of people/close count for many hours of the day, traveling 2-3 times a day.

It's easy to fight off a throat infection or something minor but your body will have trouble fighting off a flu virus(without being vaccinated) is a different story.

Oh yes btw..Flu vaccines almost always come with a traid defense against the flu virus. This means that this years three most common flu viruses will only be accounted for in the vaccine. That's why you hear of people still getting sick with the flu even when they have been vaccinated.

Oh yeh..I lift/run/play sports a combined 4-5 days a week. Even then I still get sick once or twice a year. Usually happens after a trip abroad or in Nov/Dec when there is a drastic change of weather and stress is at its highest.

A man is only as faithful as his options-Chris Rock

Yes this is pretty much accurate. I eat alot of paleo inspired food, coconut oil, butter, meat, vegetables etc and I never get sick while eating the diet. After eating the SAD for 3-4 days consistently I have come down with illness however. I have also converted a number of people to paleo diet and supplementation of certain nutrients(vitamin d, magnesium, zinc). None of them have gotten sick for more than a day. One guy had flu like symptoms for 1 day but then felt better. It may have been the actual flu but his body cleared it quickly due to being properly nourished.

One yes and one no, should have.made this a poll

Cold once every 5 years. Throat ache once a year. Injuries, the kind that leave you sidelined, once every two years.

Regardless of the diet, if said person is consuming massive amounts of vitamin D, zinc, and magnesium I doubt he will get sick.

Fad diets are a joke, but if you're pumping your body with the right type of nutrients you will definitely ward of sickness. I'm a big fan of ZMA and vitamin D sups.

IF you train hard you'll eventually push yourself too far and get sick, as hard training can also weaken the immune system when taken too far.

I dont' trust people who claim to "never get sick." THey just define it differently.

If they have a runny nose and are congested, they won't call that a cold.

Sorry, buddy, a runny nose and congestion mean you have a cold. Stop bullshitting yourself and others.

People get colds. Catching a cold is not an indictment on your character.

I caught a cold last week. Miserable. Then re-caught it twice. Dammit.

I blame working w/people and girls. One thing I have noticed is that if I quit the gym for a day or two, I snap right out of the cold. I progress through the symptoms much faster then before.

If i try to work-out through it at my normal pace, I stay sick for longer.

WIA- For most of men, our time being masters of our own fate, kings in our own castles is short. Even those of us in the game will eventually succumb to ease of servitude rather than deal with the malaise of solitude

I believe it also depends on other variables, i.e. work conditions, living conditions, etc, in terms of how often one gets sick.

MikeCF brought up a good point that how people define being sick is subjective. Some may say that a runny nose and an itchy throat is pretty damn sick, while others feel that unless their body simply will not allow them to get out of bed, no matter how much willpower they produce, they are not sick.

I've been regularly hitting the gym 5 days/week minimum for almost a year now, along with a relatively physical job up in Northern Alberta. When the season changed from a warm climate to the cold that Alberta is known for, I was doing the German volume training program (10x10's, 1.5 min break intervals, 5 days/week cycle), which was highly effective but incredibly taxing on the body. During this time, I got sick pretty often (in this case, coughing, runny nose; symptoms of a cold), and the recovery time took about a couple of weeks. When those symptoms finally went away, they came back a few days later. I attributed this to the high level of volume in my program. Thus, I was sick at least twice a month, with slow recovery period because I continued to hit the gym.

Once the cold weather remained steady and my body was climatized, this was also when I switched my program over to a 5x10 program, 4 days on, 1 day off cycle. Haven't been sick while on this program.

I'm now on a 5x5 program, same cycle. I change my program every 3 months.

generally i get cold sores on spring and end of autumn. the cold sore in autumn was very soft and i haven't got any so far. (the weather is not as cold as it should be, that may be ther eason)

Also, i generally have one week in december when i'm very sick with cold-flu like symptoms, and so far, nothing.

im lifting more, and going almost paleo.

between the zma, cold showers, and working out...never. When the flu is going around and everyone else is crippled and in bed I might have a bit of a stomach ache or diahhrea but nothing serious.

A lesser man would be destroyed but my immune system is impregnable to common viruses and bacterias. Thanks rooshvforum!

Actually, a busy gym can be one of the very best places to pick up a cold. You have a lot of people in a confined area all touching the same surfaces repeatedly. If there are regulars you know, you also end up shaking a lot of hands. You'd think that sick motherfuckers would stay out of there but they all come out to play and spread their germs in between some desultory sets of curls.

I love the gym with all my heart but I've often felt a slight sore throat or incipient cold symptoms soon after getting out of there -- usually light enough that my immune system would wipe them out. But it's something to watch for. If you feel you're really susceptible, try to minimize the handshakes and wipe down the surfaces.

same old shit, sixes and sevens Shaft...

After adopting the Paleo diet I havent been sick in 7 yrs (including colds).

Quote: (12-27-2013 01:32 PM)WestIndianArchie Wrote:  

Applies to anyone who works out and eats a non typical western diet.

My trainer claims to never get sick, but I can't believe that.

I can of course believe this faceless anonymous group

WIA

I have not caught a cold or flu in about five years. So much time has passed that I lost track of how long its been.

In my case, it has nothing to do with diet. It is all about knowing your body and knowing the first signs of a cold or flu -- and then dosing yourself to enhance your immune system to fight off the invader.

I always get a sore throat as a first symptom. So as soon as I feel even a slight tickle in my throat I dose myself with echinacea, vitamin c, zinc, and bee propolis. If I have them, I will also take wheat grass tabs, oregano oil, astragalus, cayenne pepper, and any other immune booster that I have handy. I wrote about this in detail on another thread:

http://www.rooshvforum.network/thread-28647-...#pid555535

BTW: I am someone who, before I learned about holistic heath, always caught a cold or flu at least twice every flu season. So I believe in alternative health regimens because I have seen them work in my own life.

The last few times that I was sick, I was visiting relatives cross-country who had colds or the flu. I did not have access to my supplements, so I paid the price. Having learned my lesson the hard way, now I always travel with a health kit, even when I travel internationally.

I highly recommend this book if you travel a great deal. The author discusses basic travel health kits and emphasizes supplements that have multiple uses to minimize the number of things that you need when you travel.

"Travel Healthy: The Smart Traveler's Guide To Staying Healthy Anywhere," by Lalitha Thomas.

http://www.amazon.com/Travel-Healthy-Tra...el+healthy

Quote: (12-27-2013 01:44 PM)CThunder86 Wrote:  

Oh yes btw..Flu vaccines almost always come with a traid defense against the flu virus. This means that this years three most common flu viruses will only be accounted for in the vaccine. That's why you hear of people still getting sick with the flu even when they have been vaccinated.

Receiving regular flu vaccines substantially increases your odds of ultimately contracting dementia. I read that last year.

I just did a quick Google search. It is even worse than I thought.

http://www.examiner.com/article/ten-reas...lu-vaccine

I try to take care of myself and get about one cold per year on average.
Diet and exercise doesn't make one superhuman.

I used to get sick every winter for a week or two and had a cough and snotty nose in winter more often then not. Not so during last winter and no signs of potential sickness, no cough, no snot, this winter. Why so? My changes in diet were minimal, but I started intermittent fasting.

I believe that regardless of how healthy you eat - you need to take pauses from eating so that your organism shifts from digestive mode into regenerative mode, strengthening your immune system and has some daily time to remain in this mode. The BB approach of eating every few hours is not healthy and should be reserved for dedicated athletes who can afford to shelter themselves from stresses of everyday life, but is harmful for persons to whom muscle development is an assistance skill and not a primary purpose of life.

I get one or 2, "24-hour colds" a year, but I've only been eating paleo for about 6 months so I wouldn't attribute it to the diet.

"In America we don't worship government, we worship God." - President Donald J. Trump

BF% will have more effect on your immune system. Having the BF% super low means your body does not have the energy reserves to help fuel a fight against colds and flus.

Quote: (12-27-2013 05:06 PM)MikeCF Wrote:  

IF you train hard you'll eventually push yourself too far and get sick, as hard training can also weaken the immune system when taken too far.

I dont' trust people who claim to "never get sick." They just define it differently.

If they have a runny nose and are congested, they won't call that a cold.

Sorry, buddy, a runny nose and congestion mean you have a cold. Stop bullshitting yourself and others.

People get colds. Catching a cold is not an indictment on your character.

I get runny noses every time it's cold..does that mean I am sick? I even got one down here the other day..but it was gone as soon as I got indoors. For immune system lowering, which usually happens when I don't get enough sleep and I have been working very hard, I take lots of Vit C or mix my famous citrus mix and drink it.

OUR NEW BLOG!

http://repstylez.com

My NEW TRAVEL E-BOOK - DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - A RED CARPET AFFAIR

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K53LVR8

Love 'em or leave 'em but we can't live without lizardsssss..

An Ode To Lizards

This is interesting because I have kissed and fucked one girl that has an especially weak immune system while she was sick a few times and didn't get anything. She calls me uncoldable.

The last couple of days I had a couple of couch surfers and one of them was sick and I feel it in my throat. I'm keeping up my Vitamin C routine and eating healthy so as to give my body the resources to fight it off.

I lift regularly, 4-5 days a week and don't eat especially paleo.

I think I know where this is heading...

[Image: unbreakablecompletefront_zpsafd2fdc4.jpg]

Quote: (12-28-2013 10:08 AM)augen sehen Wrote:  

This is interesting because I have kissed and fucked one girl that has an especially weak immune system while she was sick a few times and didn't get anything. She calls me uncoldable.

Quote:Quote:

Gene research finds that opposites do attract

The bond of true love may be forged in the genes as well as in the mind, researchers have found.

A comparative survey of couples suggests people are more attracted to those who have very different immunity genes from their own, even though they are not aware of it.

The genes in question play a major role in the immune system's ability to fight infections, but they are also thought to leave a lingering trace in the scent of people's body odour.

The scientist who led the study believes humans have evolved to sniff out partners who have different immunity genes because they tend to produce healthier children with stronger immune systems.

"It may be tempting to think that humans choose their partners because of their similarities," said Maria da Graça Bicalho, a professor of immunology at the University of Paraná in Brazil. "[But] our research has shown clearly that it is differences that make for successful reproduction, and that the subconscious drive to have healthy children is important when choosing a mate."

Bicalho's team looked at a group of genes known as the major histocompatibility complex (MHC), and noted down how much the genes varied between 90 married couples and 152 fictitious couples paired up at random by a computer.

"If MHC genes did not influence mate selection, we would have expected to see similar results for both sets of couples," said Bicalho, "But we found that the real partners had significantly more MHC dissimilarities than we could have expected to find simply by chance."The MHC region is made up of a large number of genes on chromosome six, and has been found in most vertebrates. As well as being linked to immunity, the group of genes are also thought to play a role in fertility.

The flip side of the study suggests humans have evolved to find people with similar immunity genes unappealing. This would have the effect of reducing inbreeding, which can have serious medical consequences for a couples' children.

Earlier studies have shown that couples with similar MHC genes have children further apart, which might be due to the woman having more early-stage miscarriages that go undetected.

"We expect to find that cultural aspects play an important role in mate choice, and certainly do not subscribe to the theory that if a person bears a particular genetic variant it will determine his or her behaviour," said Bicalho. "But we also think that the unconscious evolutionary aspect of partner choice should not be overlooked. Our research shows that this has an important role to play in ensuring healthy reproduction, by helping to ensure that children are born with a strong immune system better able to cope with infection."

I never get colds from my regulars either. I've explained the science to some of them and my prediction (I'm not going to get sick because you are) always proves correct.

As a control, I don't workout ever or eat a special diet and I get a cold once per year.

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2009/...attraction

I'm the King of Beijing!

I have never gotten a cold eating strict paleo.

The last time I got a cold is when I tried Gomad last year. Most mucus and flem I have ever produced.

I did get a nasty stomach bug from ordering take out one night.

Non stop vomiting followed by diaereah. Sucked.

Before going low carb high fat and gluten, sugar and dairy free I would get colds all the time. Sore throats. Swollen glands. Heart burn. Itchy skin. My change in diet literally changed my life.

With all this said I will probably wake up with a cold tomorrow morning.

back when i was a long distance runner, i'd get sick all the time. i didn't learn until college, but the combination of doing endurance sports and maintaining a carb-heavy diet in order to adequately fuel yourself for it was a terrible testosterone-killing, immune-system-ravaging combination.

i was at my most robust a few years later after switching to heavy lifting, sprint workouts, and some club hockey. i thought i would get sick for sure since i was on the Ron Swanson diet of eating a crapton of eggs, bacon, sausages, and other cholesterol-heavy meats, but i felt like frickin superman even on such a shitty diet.

I eat low carb, haven't been working out much since I have an exhausting job, but I only had one cold this year for literally like 2 hours. My nose ran and got sore, but in 4-5 hours I was fine.

I believe the trick with me is that I ALWAYS get enough sleep, without exception, no excuses. If I don't get enough sleep one night, the next night I go to sleep early.

I'm also over 50 so I've seen a lot more viruses and I've read we recognize the virus signatures for like 30 years so maybe that helps. But sleep ( and basically no alcohol) seem critical. Alcohol lowers your resistance I believe. And yes, 2-3 beers is quite a lot of alcohol.