rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Suit game in Asia

Suit game in Asia

I am considering a major upgrade of my wardrobe and that includes a new suit or two.

There are enough threads about where to buy suits in Asia but I'm more interested in how you guys dress when gaming over here. Do you tend to go casual or suited up?

A few questions:

- A LARGE proportion of men in Tokyo/Asian cities are suited up on weekdays. And not in a good way. A suit in Japan/Korea is the uniform for men. They all look like fucking robots. Same goes for Saturdays as many work 6 days a week. I want to buy myself something nice for going out but my concern is that I don't want to look like another salaryman who stumbled into the bar drunk (and didn't bother changing) after their company piss up. If you go out suited, how do you distinguish yourself from the rest?

- The smoke. Everyone smokes like chimneys in clubs, bars and even restaurants here. The smell in the morning is always on my clothes but I can just wash them. Having to dry clean a suit after every time I go out would get old quickly. Do you have a way of getting rid of the smell without dry cleaning?

- Do you think being suited holds the same advantage in Asia? In the West, 90% of guys tend to be sloppy in how they dress so I think that dressing up a bit helps you stand out from the crowd. I'm wondering if it's almost the opposite that would work better in Asia...but I obviously don't want to go metrosexual either.

PM me for accommodation options in Bangkok.

Suit game in Asia

There are business suits and then there are suits no one would confuse with business suits.

Suit game in Asia

It should probably be added that this may depend on where in Asia we're talking about. Simply because certain rules apply to Japan doesn't mean they necessarily apply to other parts of Asia.

The overall fashion sense in China is very different from Japan, so suiting up will have a different effect depending on which country you're in. Since the Chinese generally dress extremely tacky, you can stand out above the rest just by putting a bit of effort into your appearance, even if you don't bother to suit up. This of course depends on which Chinese club you visit. Suiting up in a club like "Mix" in Beijing (lot's of rich kids and minor celebrities found there), for instance, is less likely to stand out than in a more casual place.

Though I have barely any experience with suits, just by observing the type of salarymen you see stumbling out of the bars and Izakayas at midnight, they all pretty much have the same type of black suit and tie on. I really think the only thing you'd need to do to avoid being associated with them is not wear anyhing other than the standard black suit, black pants, black necktie and white shirt. Any other color or style should be enough to stick out, I would think.

Suit game in Asia

I think in Japan something like this could work

[Image: david-beckham-england-football-player-su...628263.jpg]

me, I just wear casual clothing

Suit game in Asia

Loud pocket square, no tie, blown open shirt. Or you can do a mismatch pants/jacket combo i.e. Navy jacket w/tan slacks and brown shoes.

WIA- For most of men, our time being masters of our own fate, kings in our own castles is short. Even those of us in the game will eventually succumb to ease of servitude rather than deal with the malaise of solitude

Suit game in Asia

I ALWAYS suit up. But I NEVER look like I've just come from my bank job.

This is just my two cents, so take it as you will. I've suited up in three Asian countries for 15 months, so no haters please. I'm just trying to help.

Firstly: No 'suit trousers'. You want your clothes to create an 'upside-down triangle' shape for your body (the widest part being your shoulders).

Sure, you can get a pair of tailored trousers, but they still sag, as the material is too thin. Plus they look UGLY around the shoe. Usually these trousers bunch up at the bottom and create loads of ripples. Or it looks like the trouser is eating the shoe, which is equally as bad. You want a smooth transition between the end of the trouser, and the start of the shoe. ABSOLUTELY NO BUNCHING. They must join as a unit! E.g:

[Image: vcwe.jpg]

If you're a skinny guy, you need to wear skinny jeans to accentuate that triangle shape. If you're a bigger guy, it's not as necessary. Either way, go for jeans or pants. Choose something with a thick or elasticated material that hugs your leg. They need to fit. (Though don't go TOO far with this, your skinny jeans need to have some ripple, or it looks like you're wearing the bottom-half of a spandex Batman costume!). Also, If you're wearing a black blazer and you want to break up the rigidity, go for grey/brown pants.

Secondly: The Shoes. You can achieve a smooth transition buy wearing a pair of converse high-tops or boots. This is great as it gets rid of that 'bank-job' appearance and allows a 'rockier' element to your look, which worked well for me in Taipei. Let the pants sink into the high-tops/boots or sit just on top of them (like in the first photo). In my opinion, this creates a good streamline for a taller guy.

If you don't wear boots/high-tops. Then, as stated above, the shoes must NOT be black. Black is too rigid and formal. You're not going to a job interview! So stick to brown shoes, and try and make that transition smooth by allowing your socks to show slightly, as in photo two. The bottom of the trouser must hug your ankle TIGHTLY!

This way, the trouser is not eating the shoe, and it complements the streamlined triangle look. You can also create a good transition by rolling the trousers up and exposing your ankles (bare foot or with socks). This is rather hipster, but it can complement Asian style well. (And besides, it's Asia, girls are MAD hipster!)

Thirdly: The abdomen. A FITTED blazer with a loud pocket square is excellent advice, and I've used it a lot. But you can also experiment with other things.

You look around a club on a Saturday night, and what do you see? A sea of shirts, right?

Well, that looks great on a big guy, but there are ways to make it more interesting:

1) Add a pair of shirt-suspenders.

Couldn't find a great photo, but here:

[Image: r94r.jpg]

In my opinion, A fitted white shirt with a black shirt-suspenders is VERY masculine and sexy to a girl. It also helps to to widen your chest and achieve that desired triangle shape. (Which if you're a skinny guy, is vital)

In addition, girls pull my suspenders on nights out :-P, so it's a good toy :-P.

2) A cravat

Again, this broadens the upper-abdomen and can make you look more masculine. (Or really camp if done incorrectly!). Stick to a dark colour and use it with a light shirt. This makes the look so much more interesting and more fashionable. Fashion is really bloody important in Asia. So even if you have no clue about it, this tricks girls into thinking that you do!

(Plus it's great if you're British as you can play up to the Victorian gentleman card. As I do. [Before pumping-and-dumping them!])

Fourthly: The belt.

Belts are really bloody important. If you're wearing a dark shirt: White belt. If you're wearing a light shirt: Black belt.

Ensure that the buckle of the belt stands out, whilst not being too garish.

Avoid a boring buckle like this:

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRiMPWEMCZ7bVMqLHmK5ag...fxyTW17rHe]

You want to buckle to cover up the part of the belt going through the buckle, if that makes sense. It should be a block shape, and it shouldn't be much taller than the belt itself, otherwise it looks like you've bought it from a pound shop. (Or a 'dollar store'. So many Americans here :-P). In addition, it should be metallic and VERY shiny. (Stainless steel effect).

This makes the outfit look much more expensive/well thought-out than it actually is, and once again it tricks girls into thinking that you're rich and fashionable. (Same effect as an expensive watch I guess).

If you're in Bangkok, go to MBK mall and buy a fake 'Diesel' belt for 300 baht. Looks exactly like the real thing, and instantly transforms your outfit into an 'expensive' one. I did this the other day haha.

Suit game in Asia

Quote: (12-16-2013 12:51 PM)LeightonBlackstock Wrote:  

I would rather have the look on the far right photo then wear pants as tight as the first photo... Pants that tight are sold in the women sections... they look like leggings, toss on some Uggs with those and your set [Image: smile.gif]

Bruising cervix since 96
#TeamBeard
"I just want to live out my days drinking virgin margaritas and banging virgin señoritas" - Uncle Cr33pin

Suit game in Asia

Quote: (12-16-2013 01:06 PM)Cr33pin Wrote:  

Quote: (12-16-2013 12:51 PM)LeightonBlackstock Wrote:  

I would rather have the look on the far right photo then wear pants as tight as the first photo... Pants that tight are sold in the women sections... they look like leggings, toss on some Uggs with those and your set [Image: smile.gif]

This is Asia.

Suit game in Asia

Quote: (12-16-2013 01:10 PM)LeightonBlackstock Wrote:  

This is Asia.

No.

THIS IS SPARTAAAAAAA!

Sorry for offtopic ;-)

"Imagine" by HCE | Hitler reacts to Battle of Montreal | An alternative use for squid that has never crossed your mind before

Suit game in Asia

Quote: (12-16-2013 04:49 AM)Vicious Wrote:  

There are business suits and then there are suits no one would confuse with business suits.

I see your point. I have only ever bought business suits until now so I wasn't really aware of the distinction. I am a total newbie. What would you say are the main differences? No pin stripes is obvious but is it a style thing too?

I looked at some "party" suits in Zara yesterdays but they looked a little clownish to my eyes. I'm thinking of going for something a little more classic that I can keep for a long time.

Suit game in Asia

Quote: (12-16-2013 01:10 PM)LeightonBlackstock Wrote:  

This is Asia.

Great advice. Thank you. You must stick out in Thailand. My image of foreigners there is shorts and sandals.

That definitely gives me something to think about. So you only buy the jacket part of the suit? How many "outfits" would you say you have in your rotation?

Suit game in Asia

Just as a side:

From my experience in Latin America, dressing in suits everyday makes you a target for undesirables. Dressing down, in shirts and jeans makes you invisible.

IMO: I'd rather be invisible in a crowd of people. I try and wear ripped/tattered jeans or an old sweater/hoodie. The problem with dressing up is you are telling the world you are successful and have money. That can be a big problem in the wrong end of town. In Asia this seems to be a bit different but then again, the girl I ended up with also doesn't dress up very often.

I'll give you a good example, back in my hometown we used to own an old bungalow. It was on a side street surrounded by an old wood fence, trees and shrubs and an old shack. The city had risen up around it but no one really game a damn about our house, my parents had completely re-done the inside and it was really a thing of beauty and extreme comfort. People left us alone and never knew what was inside.

My mother being the 'keep up with the Joneses' type, wanted bigger and beautiful to show off to her family. This was a mistake. My house has been in a Home & Garden magazine. We put down interlock, paved the garden and most of the grass, put out nice stone tables and chairs, bulldozed the shack and put in 4 cabanas, there is a big beautiful wooden fence surrounding the area with a small fireplace in the middle, a fountain and a raised patio. We have had 2 break-ins, one guy steal a whole ton of fake jewelery, all of our bikes stolen and different property damage from jealous hoodlums. Everyone, almost in the entire city, knows our house (its located near a shopping mall) and I've had various strange people out in front of the house and also a few people just randomly walk into the backyard to take pictures and 'have a look'. Also a few of the bus drivers have wondered aloud, what 'those' people could be keeping inside those little cabanas (its just junk). One night coming out, I found my Mustang all keyed up with swear words written all over it and a few of our other cars in black permanent marker... I really wish my parents had just left the tree line up and kept everything looking like a junkyard out front.

So in my life, I like to keep a nice apartment inside, with beautiful/comfortable furniture, projector, xbox and a comfortable bed but have the outside look like an old decrepit piece of sh1t. Same for my clothes. My father had the same idea, he worked on TV but drove an old, beat up, rusting away, van around town, wore the exact same clothes pretty much everyday and kept to himself as much as possible.

Being all about face will attract attention but usually its not the type you intended.

Quote:Quote:

If you're a skinny guy, you need to wear skinny jeans to accentuate that triangle shape.

As for this, sorry Leighton, maybe its cause I'm a bit older but if you are a skinny guy, baggy jeans are definitely the way to go.. in my opinion, those other guys look like they have chicken legs. I can't wear pants that aren't baggy, they make me feel completely awkward and I'm basically a bean pole. I use to goto raves alot, so I took a pair of my old raver pants to a tailor in Shanghai and had him copy them into dress pant material. Now I basically have a couple pairs of dress pants that look like cargo pants, they are totally wicked. I love any jeans that have ugly bunching and trouser eating qualities. I wish I could send you all the jeans I just bought and you could send me all your old baggy ugly ones. [Image: smile.gif]

I was under the impression that hipster fashions were started by gay guys?!? I prefer 90's skater fashion personally. That said, I'm also white and I knew a black guy up north who , as you mentioned, only wore fitted suits and hipster pants... he was 10 years younger than me though... might have something to do with it.

Suit game in Asia

Quote: (12-16-2013 09:44 PM)dreambig Wrote:  

Great advice. Thank you. You must stick out in Thailand. My image of foreigners there is shorts and sandals.

That definitely gives me something to think about. So you only buy the jacket part of the suit? How many "outfits" would you say you have in your rotation?

Yeah people dress BADLY here. In my opinion, dressing well is the easiest cheat code in game. You instantly elevate yourself above the 'sausage hoard' and become the 'shiny' one in the club. Girls will notice you.

Just don't do a 'Mystery' and look like you've come from a carnival! Remember guys, this is 'dressing well', NOT pea-cocking!

DISCLAIMER: I know that some guys here have conquered Asia without any need for this style of fashion, but this is just a different way to play the game. There are only a handful of areas in which I consider myself an authority on, but dressing well in Asia is one of them. This information is perhaps steered towards younger, skinnier, more hipster guys, but I really do think it's useful for anyone in Asia.

If you are to 'dress well' in Asia, I'm afraid you have to be more 'metro-sexual'. This style of fashion may not cut it in America, but it does here. I only speak from experience, and I only add information which is intended to move us forward as a unit here at RVF [Image: grouphug.gif].

Case in point: I got invited to a private Karaoke party by this photographer (http://www.lesterlee.com), based solely on my fashion. I drank champagne and sang Karaoke with twelve 30-something women and this massive fat guy from Hong Kong who wanted me to be his model. I don't look like a model. But my dress sense tricks people into thinking that.

I also get stupid amounts of compliments on my fashion, and am usually in the photographs at clubs. (95% of the time they only take photos of slutty women to lure men into the joint. It's rare that guys get featured). I also find that people come up to me to take a photo sometimes. (I used to walk around Ximen, Taipei and be asked to be in group photographs). This sounds really arrogant, but I'm saying this to justify the perceived 'camp-ness' of these fashion choices.

I aim to buy a 'blazer' NOT 'the top half of a suit'. When you see it in a store, it WILL NOT have a pair of trousers that's meant to be put with it, if that makes sense.

When I was in Korea, I went into a clothes shop, and there were many well-fitting blazers hanging up there, without accompanying suit trousers. You should be able to find a similar shop in Japan I'd guess.

As a rule of thumb, don't buy a blazer that's part of a suit set, as it'll be more 'business-style', as opposed to fashionable. Buy a well-fitting one, and add a loud pocket square.

I have about six main outfits in rotation:

1) White shirt, black shirt-suspenders, black high-tops.
2) White shirt, dark blue cravat, black high-tops.
3) White shirt, black tie, black high-tops. (Suspenders hanging down to add a 'rockier' element.)
4) Dark blue 'Korean-style' shirt, black tie, black shirt-suspenders, black high-tops. (Formal)
5) Black band t-shirt. Denim jacket. White/Red jeans. Black high-tops. (Rockier look)
6) Korean-style shirt. Brown trousers. (Rolled up to expose ankles). Brown shoes. (Casual/Everyday/Hot-weather wear).

Quote: (12-17-2013 12:16 AM)BadWolf Wrote:  

Quote:Quote:

If you're a skinny guy, you need to wear skinny jeans to accentuate that triangle shape.

As for this, sorry Leighton, maybe its cause I'm a bit older but if you are a skinny guy, baggy jeans are definitely the way to go.. in my opinion, those other guys look like they have chicken legs. I can't wear pants that aren't baggy, they make me feel completely awkward and I'm basically a bean pole.

Badwolf. In my opinion, skinny jeans really do get a bad reputation because a lot of guys wear them incorrectly. Skinny jeans can look TERRIBLE if they don't have some degree of rippling down the leg, or if they're one block colour (makes them look like leggings).

Example. Look at this photo of Lostprophets (I know this band is bad example because of the Ian Watkins case, but it's the first one I could think of).

[Image: 6vr6.jpg]

All of these guys are wearing skinny jeans, but none of them look like they have chicken legs. (Ignore Lee Gaze on the far right and his gay scarf)

They've stayed away from block colours and have got some rippling around the knee area. Which means it doesn't look like they're auditioning for FAME. Also, they've managed to accentuate that upside-down triangle shape and have furthered this by their choice of shoes. Hence, whilst they are wearing skinny jeans, they still look masculine. (Ok, not the guy on the far right. That scarf is awful.)

Look again at these guys in 2000:

[Image: 45wb.jpg]

Here, Ian Watkins sports a much more 'oblong' shape, due to his choice of trousers, and his thick boat-style shoes.

Quote: (12-17-2013 12:16 AM)BadWolf Wrote:  

I love any jeans that have ugly bunching and trouser eating qualities. I wish I could send you all the jeans I just bought and you could send me all your old baggy ugly ones. [Image: smile.gif]

Haha deal.

Interesting story actually. I threw out five pairs of baggy pants when I revamped my style in my third month of Korea.

This was the point when I realised there was no 'White God factor' in Korea, and I needed to make an effort, rather than just rely on my blonde hair and big nose.

Suit game in Asia

Quote: (12-16-2013 05:36 AM)Sargon of Akkad Wrote:  

It should probably be added that this may depend on where in Asia .

and also WHO you are while you're wearing a suit.

for example. In Tokyo, the OP thinks that because all the Japanese guys have suits on, its not special for him to have a suit.

This is plain wrong and you are missing out on some pussy.

BECAUSE you are NOT Japanese, you stand out drastically wearing a suit in Tokyo.

I have gotten laid while in a suit a number of times out there, and it was clearly because of the suit(I've tried a lot of stuff out there)

Of COURSE, wearing suits in places you probably shouldn't be wearing them. . .(i.e. low brow clubs) is not going to get you anywhere, but if you are in a nice bar in a nice area (think Nishi-Azabu/Ometesando areas. . .even to some extent, Naka-Meguro) along with whering them in the day whenever you go out is going to help you.

Basically, wherever you would wear a suit in the states, where is there as well.

and of course if you're suit is tailored to your body, with the pocket square etc etc (seriously talk to G manifesto about suits) you should be killing it there. Hell, I've seen OBESE(non-Japanese) dudes get women, JUST because he was wearing a suit.

Also, that style that an earlier poster made for thailand purposes. . .that would not work in Japan and China

For example, in Japan, you NEED to wear a white shirt, Period, if you wear a different color, you just don't look nearly as good, period, you gotta look extra clean when you wear your suits, also, yeah wear black shoes, anything else and it just turned you from "that awesome looking foreign guy" to "just a random dude(i.e. invisible to pussy)"

in one of the picture sabove, it had the suspendered guy with his pants legs rolled up. . .

.no.

never. ever. do. that.

You are not Tom Sawyer, and you'll just be made fun of(by your Japanese friends of course - no Japanese stranger is going to come up to you and make fun of you.) if you roll around looking like you just game from hunting aligators or something.

Its really simple, wear a suit that fits you, get a pocket square, wear a WHITE shirt against your black suit, and some decent shoes, hell, maybe get some cuff links (if you go out to a nice bar somewhere)

don't wear any other colored suits, it's important that the WHITE SHIRT you're wearing stands out. so you need to wear a black suit.

It might not make much sense to you now, but once you start doing this for a few weeks, and notice the looks, and seemingly added respect people give you while in your suit, you'll see what I Mean.

The only time I would NOT recommend you wear a suit if you can help it while in Japan. . .

Summer. Actually I'd recommend you either a) GO to enoshima beach every day in August that you can.

or

b) just get out of the country during the month of August if you can. Go to SEA for a while(if you're white/have light complexion) or Austrailia(if you're black).

Isaiah 4:1

Suit game in Asia

Why do you have to wear a white shirt and black shoes in Japan? Black shoes are a terrible choice everywhere else, why is it different in Japan?

Suit game in Asia

Quote: (12-17-2013 09:47 PM)CJ_W Wrote:  

for example. In Tokyo, the OP thinks that because all the Japanese guys have suits on, its not special for him to have a suit.

This is plain wrong and you are missing out on some pussy.

BECAUSE you are NOT Japanese, you stand out drastically wearing a suit in Tokyo.

Thanks for the insight.

Really though? Pretty much every English teacher/corporate recruiter in Tokyo wears a (business) suit don't they?

Quote: (12-17-2013 09:47 PM)CJ_W Wrote:  

don't wear any other colored suits, it's important that the WHITE SHIRT you're wearing stands out. so you need to wear a black suit.

I am wondering about this too.

Why the black suit/white shirt/black shoes combination in particular?

I mean, I often wear this combination to work anyway...as do the other 99% of Tokyoites (except the rebels with the brown shoes heh). I'm failing to see how this helps me stand out. Not arguing with you. I'm just interested in your reasoning.

Suit game in Asia

Remember. In Asia, you might have to step a little bit out of your previous comfort zone, in order to be considered fashionable here. The rules are different. If you want to suit up outside of Asia, do not listen to me. Listen to others.

Korean guys are INCREDIBLY well-dressed, and 99% of white guys just can't match them. Korean girls won't be impressed by you unless you strive to be a trendsetter here. You don't want to be an advertisement for a department store clothes shop. You want Korean guys to come up to you and ask you for a photo (interestingly this is my current Facebook photo).

I remember my first few months in Korea. I made good friends with a guy who dresses like I do now. I used to give him a really hard time.

"Why are you wearing skinny jeans? That's gay man"

"A blazer in a club *pfft*"

"What's with the boots?"

Only one of us was getting 'eyes' from Korean girls, and compliments from Korean guys. I'll give you a hint, the guy in the checkered shirt and baggy chinos was getting no attention.

The reason I say this, is as a background for the following point:

Never, ever listen to Beta males about fashion.

You're not here to impress Beta guys. You're here to be sexually pleasing to Asian girls. I've had guys come up to me and question my style, but I'm the one getting IOI's. I don't seek approval from that community and I know you guys don't either. If I did, I'd wear a Liverpool football shirt and jeans. I'd be considered more 'masculine', but I'd be fucking less Asian girls. I care more about the latter.

You don't have to go overboard: I'm not telling you to buy a fedora, wear fake glasses and paint your nails black. Just be aware, you might have to go a little bit against social convention if you want an easy cheat code for game in Asia. Don't worry about negative comments from other guys. They're jealous because they're not getting attention. Suit up boys!

Here are some other tips too look less 'wooden' and less like you've come from your office job:

1) Spiky hair:

[Image: Spiky-Hairstyle-For-Men.jpg]

You want to look less 'Wall Street' and more comfortable/fashionable. Spiking your hair up could be the straw that breaks the camel's back, in your favour!

Remember: Short on the sides, long on the top.

2) Roll your blazer sleeves up:

[Image: matt-bomer-matt-bomer-14644380-320-480.jpg]

Sometimes the arms of a blazer can make you look like an oblong cardboard cut-out. Rolling them up can add a 'rockier' element to your look and make you look sexier. Remember: You wear the blazer, the blazer doesn't wear you.

3) The pea coat - a cold weather tip:

[Image: $T2eC16h,!wsE9suw0QK4BRgl)mSRGw~~60_35.JPG]

NOTE: Don't judge the look by this photo alone. I really couldn't find a photo that did the look justice. (Also, don't buy a red one).

Now this obviously shouldn't be worn in a club. But when you're outside of one, it's conducive to a suited up look. (Perhaps this is good for daygame?)

Pop up the collar, open the coat out and make sure it has a SINGLE column of buttons (Double makes you ok like a drag queen). When coupled with a shirt, this gives the effect of a lion's mane, or a peacock's tail. it can look alpha as fuck in my opinion.

If you're blonde, get a light blue one. If you're not, get a dark blue/black one.

This shows how boss it can look with spiky hair:

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSg0C-5egfWq8SHi6wm165...5i9VRIYrWN]

(I apologise for the Ian Watkins photos. I absolutely do not condone his actions. I just can't think of another example for the time being. I based a lot of style choices on him, so this recent news has me fucking bummed).

4) Okay this is going to be controversial:

I anticipate I'm going to be attacked like a gazelle in the African Savannah.

But: Do your top button up. *Runs and hides behind a rock*

Ok, I know, I know. You're picturing something like this, right?

[Image: Ben4ec16701c90f5.jpg]

Well, yeah. I agree with you. That looks Beta as FUCK.

Don't wear a checkered shirt, and make sure your hair is spiked up.

Everytime I'm in a club. I see a sea of skinny guys with an unbuttoned shirt. It looks BAD. It merely draws attention to your slender frame, and gives a gaping insight to your xylophone ribs.

Let's have another photo of Ian Watkins. (Seeming as I've already gone as low as I could possibly go, in terms of choosing an example):

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTgtH4Kn8NYQCMswquC1wy...my4GdS3mji]

Doing your top button up can look alpha as fuck, if done correctly. Use a block-coloured shirt and a spiky hairstyle. It makes your frame look much better, and it actually makes your abdomen look wider.

BUT, of course, if you're a big guy: Open that shirt up. Unbuttoning a shirt looks excellent on a big guy and really fucking masculine. But if you're anything BUT big, do the damn thing up!

Suit game in Asia

Leighton, I took your advice and got some new clothes. Suspenders and boots with the shirt buttoned all the way up. What do ya think? Nailed it, right?

[Image: the-7-nastiest-movie-thugs-05-420-75.jpg]

Suit game in Asia

Haha noooo! too EDL!

You're big so you need to open your buttons up. Suspenders are for skinny guys who need to look wider.

Stick to a block colour shirt and add nothing.

Next time you go clothes shopping, invite me out. I'll help you look fabulous.

Suit game in Asia

Quote: (12-18-2013 12:37 PM)LeightonBlackstock Wrote:  

Haha noooo! too EDL!

I was just thinking he looked a bit like one of those oldschool British skinheads from the 70s (no offense, though).

[Image: the-7-nastiest-movie-thugs-05-420-75.jpg]

[Image: romper_stomper.jpg]

Suit game in Asia

I'm not doing suit game (yet) but I think having different patterned suits and different fabrics are the way to go.

[Image: seersucker-suits-mister-mort.jpg]

Seersucker. Best for summer. A person on this forum posted a picture of him with a blue seersucker suit, red pocket square, and white shirt with no tie.

[Image: houndstooth-suitwandering-brummell--miro...3nxx7v.jpg]

You can get houndstooth in smaller print than this.

[Image: plaid-suit-for-men.jpg]

Try a plaid suit like this.

[Image: 6a010535d07789970c0133f1a5e983970b-800wi]
NOT THIS!

Suit game in Asia

My eyes!

I'm the King of Beijing!

Suit game in Asia

Quote: (12-16-2013 01:26 AM)dreambig Wrote:  

- The smoke. Everyone smokes like chimneys in clubs, bars and even restaurants here. The smell in the morning is always on my clothes but I can just wash them. Having to dry clean a suit after every time I go out would get old quickly. Do you have a way of getting rid of the smell without dry cleaning?

- Do you think being suited holds the same advantage in Asia? In the West, 90% of guys tend to be sloppy in how they dress so I think that dressing up a bit helps you stand out from the crowd. I'm wondering if it's almost the opposite that would work better in Asia...but I obviously don't want to go metrosexual either.

For the smoke problem, see if you can score some of this:

[Image: ozium-_8-oz-original-oz-1-in-package.jpg]

It's practically a dry cleaning in a bottle. Just make sure not to breath the chemicals in. I use this to "de-stink" my jacket when I go out and smoke stogies in it. My car is fresh with it too.

As for suit game, why don't you just go the classic jean, nice shirt, blazer, dress shoes combo? I wear blazers all the time with jeans in Boston because it is just enough to not be "too over dressed" but well dressed enough that you look better than every other dude in the room. It's a fine line, but jeans make it happen.

Suit game in Asia

Had a revelation on the train last night.

I finally know what I am looking for in a suit.

[Image: salaryman.jpg]

Suit game in Asia

Went out last night and saw several foreigners suiting it up with pocket squares! Never seen that before. I think this forum and GM are having an effect!

I am planning to get a suit made by these guys:

http://www.azabutailor.com

By most accounts their suits aren't the best quality material (Japanese threads) but at around $500 M2M it seems a good starting point.

I am going from extremely casual (t-shirt, ripped jeans) so this stuff is pretty new to me but I have been researching the subject. It's a whole new red pill, I think. We are so used to dressing down these days that it feels risky to wear anything that stands out.

A good book I picked up lately:

Dressing the Man

Really goes into detail about suits, shirts and everything else that go with them. So much to learn!