rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Anyone ever read Harrison Bergeron?

In high school, we had to read this short story by Vonnegut in one of the college-prep English classes. I remember thinking the premise of it was ridiculous, but it was interesting at the same time. Fast forward 15 years from the late 90s.

Now, with all the "equality" stuff going on and the government (liberals are typically blamed, but there's not much true difference besides what you see on paper) trying to redress absolutely everything under the Sun - is it possible we're going this direction?

Maybe it's being done covertly, via GMO foods to make everyone fat & slow. If everyone is fat, that's a form of equality, and the majority of people are now, at least in terms of BMI.

The story is about the USA in 2081, and absolute equality is under effect, no one is smarter, no one hears better, no one is better looking, no one is in better shape. True communism in every sense, opposed to only economic communism.

In the story, if a person is in naturally good shape, they're forced to always wear a fat suit by the law.

I really don't think it will ever get like that, but society is currently sort of at this odd crossroads where Jack is rewarded for dressing up like Jill, Jill is rewarded for dressing up like Jack, promiscuity among women & gays is seen as "empowerment", but straight men (at least in the west) are now seen as "creepy" for desiring thin attractive women and pursuing them, unless they're Charlie Sheen or some big time celeb.

There's just too much rich/poor divide in America for there ever to be true equality, but in the future, it does make you wonder if they'll try to force some sort of unconventional communism like the story.

The story is easy to find, if you got a minute, it's a good read.

Yeah - that is a famous short story. I read it once. Very good. In fact - thinking back - it was probably the first story I ever read 'for fun'. I was recommended it by my brother and just read it.

I just wish the rest of the fiction I came across lived up to that standard since I really love those weird philosophical ideas.

Anyway - I bet Boris Johnson read it as well.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...Q-low.html

I miss those philosophical type short stories - I wish there was a way of finding a collection of them.

I remember another good one about a time machine. And the people go back in time millions of years - and one guy falls off the path they are told not to stray from. He accidentally kills a butterfly and thinks nothing more of it.

And when he comes back to the future - he finds the whole world has changed.

There's a film of it here:

It does make you wonder...if the US ever went this direction...would that be the end of professional sports?

Essentially, you'd have to watch regular people play sports on TV, for the sake of equality.

Michael Sandel gives a good way of thinking about these moral issues.

Most entertaining philosophical discussion I have seen.

http://www.ted.com/talks/michael_sandel_...ebate.html

Welcome to the monkey house.

Brilliant little story, and humorous to boot. My 8th Grade class read it, one of the reasons I actually enjoyed that class.

Quote: (12-10-2013 05:52 PM)cardguy Wrote:  

I miss those philosophical type short stories - I wish there was a way of finding a collection of them.

I remember another good one about a time machine. And the people go back in time millions of years - and one guy falls off the path they are told not to stray from. He accidentally kills a butterfly and thinks nothing more of it.

And when he comes back to the future - he finds the whole world has changed.

The story is called "A Sound of Thunder" by Ray Bradbury

You can read "Harrison Bergeron" here

Quote:cardguy Wrote:

Here's another fun one titled "The Monkey's Paw" and Shirley Jackson's "The Lottery" (pdf link). Both well known and powerful.

I give my students these stories. "The Lottery" is really good. Everyone should give it a read. Also check out, "All Summer in a Day" and "Checkouts."

Have a sharp teenager compare "Harrison" and "Animal Farm" to modern day society, and watch them swallow the red pill.

Also, if anyone knows of any overly narcissistic short stories, it would be much appreciated.

Quote: (12-10-2013 09:15 PM)MaleDefined Wrote:  

I give my students these stories. "The Lottery" is really good. Everyone should give it a read. Also check out, "All Summer in a Day" and "Checkouts."

Have a sharp teenager compare "Harrison" and "Animal Farm" to modern day society, and watch them swallow the red pill.

Also, if anyone knows of any overly narcissistic short stories, it would be much appreciated.

Poe's Cask of Amontillado is a good one, just off the top of my head. Educator's discretion is advised, of course, due to the mature subject matter.

Damn, if you had put in The Most Dangerous Game in there as well, I would have thought that you were my teacher.

Quote: (12-10-2013 10:19 PM)SexualHarrasmentPanda Wrote:  

Damn, if you had put in The Most Dangerous Game in there as well, I would have thought that you were my teacher.

I remember reading that story in HS. Wow. What a great story. Will def be using this for the right student.

I didn't like the story much.

It made a great point about a society that demanded and enforced an equality of it's people but I thought it was so hokey in it's execution (I'm not even demanding a Michael Crichton level of sophistication here) that there just wasn't a chance of a good message being delivered.

My teacher sent my critique back in literature class saying that the story was "satire". I responded by saying that the "it's satire" label shouldn't be slapped onto everything that fundamentally sucks.

That being said, I really liked Chekov's "The Bet".

Didn't think the story was anything special either, but it makes you wonder if similar plans could ever be implemented.

Would the "equality crowd" like to see something like that - or is it even too ridiculous for them?

There really might be nothing too ridiculous for them.