rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

You feel down? You feel bad? Watch the Master

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRHCUolq2jQ

Is there hype about Bruce Lee? Was he the best martial artist of all time? Or was he just the most famous?

This could also cheer up people:

Quote:Quote:

Man goes to doctor. Says he's depressed, life is harsh and cruel. Says he feels all alone in threatening world.
Doctor says, "Treatment is simple. The great clown Pagliacci is in town. Go see him. That should pick you up."
Man bursts into tears."But doctor" He says, "I am Pagliacci."

"Imagine" by HCE | Hitler reacts to Battle of Montreal | An alternative use for squid that has never crossed your mind before

Quote: (12-08-2013 12:08 PM)cardguy Wrote:  

Is there hype about Bruce Lee? Was he the best martial artist of all time? Or was he just the most famous?

I dont know.. Do you know anyone better than him? Anyone able to do what he did?

Quote: (12-08-2013 12:22 PM)orko Wrote:  

I dont know.. Do you know anyone better than him? Anyone able to do what he did?

what did bruce lee do?

OUR NEW BLOG!

http://repstylez.com

My NEW TRAVEL E-BOOK - DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - A RED CARPET AFFAIR

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K53LVR8

Love 'em or leave 'em but we can't live without lizardsssss..

An Ode To Lizards

I remember reading somewhere that Jackie Chan is was more famous.

Not sure though.

Not a direct answer to your question (I'm not qualified to answer it) but to me Bruce Lee is much more than a great martial artist. He was great at life and is an inspiration on many levels.

Philisophical and wise (martial arts were actually an expression of his deeper philosophies). Lived by his principles rather than just talked about them. Constantly pushed to become a better version of himself - mastered himself physically, mentally, and emotionally. Worked his way up from the bottom to become a worldwide celebrity. He wasn't just a fighter who learned in a gym, either; he grew up brawling in the streets.

And yes an extremely good self-promoter as well - being an ambitious and successful businessman to me is a very admirable trait.

I guess my point is that it doesn't matter to me even if there is a little hype. No doubt he was at least good enough at what he did to be a runner-up for that "all-time" title (something that, let's face it, could never be settled in reality anyways) and good enough at accomplishing his goals that he became a timeless legend regardless.

Much respect to the man, and I recommend a deeper look into his life for anyone who wants to develop themselves further.

Beyond All Seas

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe.
To be your own man is a hard business. If you try it, you'll be lonely often, and sometimes
frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." - Kipling

Quote: (12-08-2013 12:34 PM)Beyond Borders Wrote:  

Not a direct answer to your question (I'm not qualified to answer it) but to me Bruce Lee is much more than a great martial artist. He was great at life and is an inspiration on many levels.

Philisophical and wise (martial arts were actually an expression of his deeper philosophies). Lived by his principles rather than just talked about them. Constantly pushed to become a better version of himself - mastered himself physically, mentally, and emotionally. Worked his way up from the bottom to become a worldwide celebrity. He wasn't just a fighter who learned in a gym, either; he grew up brawling in the streets.

And yes an extremely good self-promoter as well - being an ambitious and successful businessman to me is a very admirable trait.

I guess my point is that it doesn't matter to me even if there is a little hype. No doubt he was at least good enough at what he did to be a runner-up for that "all-time" title (something that, let's face it, could never be settled in reality anyways) and good enough at accomplishing his goals that he became a timeless legend regardless.

Much respect to the man, and I recommend a deeper look into his life for anyone who wants to develop themselves further.

'NUFF' SAID!

I would compare him to someone like Michael Jordan.

Are they the "best" ever? Maybe. Everyone has their own opinion and metric but it would be impossible to give a definitive answer.

However, they were both so insanely dedicated and successful in their respective sport that they not only revolutionized the way it was practiced, it transcended sports and made a huge impact on the culture itself. Their popularity is based on true mastery of their craft and therefore wouldn't be considered as "hype".

Lee changed the way martial arts are practiced and taught. He broke barriers for Chinese in film. He literally fought for the right for non-Chinese to learn Chinese fighting styles. His influence permeates both Chinese and American cultures in a multitude of ways.

Keep in mind that Bruce passed at 32 and has already been dead for over 40 years yet he still maintains iconic status to this day.

Quote: (12-08-2013 12:34 PM)Beyond Borders Wrote:  

Yeah.

To me Bruce is a better philosopher and G than martial artist.

Which says a lot.

Quote: (12-08-2013 12:27 PM)Moma Wrote:  

what did bruce lee do?

1) Revolutionized hand to hand combat
2) Invent MMA
3) Advanced and evolved our approach to athletic training
4) Revolutionized Art and Film
5) Revolutionized Philosophy

Revolutionized Philosophy?

Quote: (12-08-2013 03:53 PM)Giovonny Wrote:  

Quote: (12-08-2013 12:27 PM)Moma Wrote:  

what did bruce lee do?

2) Invent MMA

Yes I believe that can be argued.

Bruce Lee combined Eastern and Western Philosophy.

Quite possibly one of the first.

Disclaimer: I am no expert on philosophy.

Okay - I can see your angle on that one.

Although there is a big difference between philosophy and academic philosophy.

Which is fine - since most academic philosophy is boring. And shit.

He was a "next level" athlete, and revolutionized approaches to conditioning and preparation.

"Feminism is a trade union for ugly women"- Peregrine

How do you define "best martial artist"?

He was beta because he was skinny and under 6'2 [Image: troll.gif]

I thought you were talking about the piece of shit Paul Thomas Anderson film - The Master.

It you feel down and feel bad, that will make things infinitely worse.

Quote: (12-09-2013 05:26 AM)houston Wrote:  

And he wasn't blond hair and blue eyes.

So I bet Bruce would have gotten blanked in Peru.

And if there were any white guys around, he would have had trouble getting Asian girls.

Quote: (12-09-2013 06:30 AM)thegmanifesto Wrote:  

And if there were any white guys around, he would have had trouble getting Asian girls.

He'd just have to spike his hair and tell them he's Korean.

Quote: (12-08-2013 04:03 PM)cardguy Wrote:  

Revolutionized Philosophy?

Yes, like G suggested, he bridged his ancient Chinese philosophy with a more modern, western, practical application, in a variety of areas.

-The way we view life.
-The way we solve problems.
-The way we model nature.
-The philosophy of sport.
-The nature of self-expression

Basically, he applied centuries old Asian wisdom to modern day life and expressed it through film, fitness training, and martial arts. (and other stuff like diet, etc.)

I like to say, sometimes, the best philosophers are not dead Greek guys but people that walk among us every day.

Quote: (12-09-2013 06:30 AM)thegmanifesto Wrote:  

He was beta because he was skinny and under 6'2

Bruce was dating blonds in the 1960's

He smashed down doors for Asian men. Kind of like what Jeremy Lin did in basketball last year. He was decades ahead of his time.

Asian men are actually quite popular in South America.

Peru and Brazil have many Latin-Asian mixtures. These are some of my favorite women on the planet. The Japanese-Brazilian girls are my #1!

Some of my favorite Bruce Quotes:

Man, the living creature, the creating individual, is always more important than any established style or system.

When my acute self-consciousness grew to what the psychologists refer to as the “double-bind” type, my instructor would again approach me and say, “Loong, preserve yourself by following the natural bends of things and don’t interfere. Remember never to assert yourself against nature; never be in frontal opposition to any problems, but control it by swinging with it.

When there is freedom from mechanical conditioning, there is simplicity. The classical man is just a bundle of routine, ideas and tradition. If you follow the classical pattern, you are understanding the routine, the tradition, the shadow — you are not understanding yourself.

Truth has no path. Truth is living and, therefore, changing. Awareness is without choice, without demand, without anxiety; in that state of mind, there is perception. To know oneself is to study oneself in action with another person. Awareness has no frontier; it is giving of your whole being, without exclusion.

Liberate yourself from concepts and see the truth with your own eyes. — It exists HERE and NOW; it requires only one thing to see it: openness, freedom — the freedom to be open and not tethered by any ideas, concepts, etc. ... When our mind is tranquil, there will be an occasional pause to its feverish activities, there will be a let-go, and it is only then in the interval between two thoughts that a flash of UNDERSTANDING — understanding, which is not thought — can take place.

I could on all day.

Quote: (12-09-2013 01:38 PM)Giovonny Wrote:  

The Japanese-Brazilian girls are my #1!

Damn.

That sounds like quite the mix...

[Image: thumb_thisthreadisworthlesswithoutp.gif]

Also, it sounds like Bruce Lee's life philosophy, in Western terms, would be Stoicism combined with a desire to become a Nietzschean ubermensch.

Quote: (12-09-2013 02:26 PM)MHaes Wrote:  

Also, it sounds like Bruce Lee's life philosophy, in Western terms, would be Stoicism combined with a desire to become a Nietzschean ubermensch.

You are trying to categorize and classify Bruces philosophy.

That goes against his philosophy. He did not think we should be limited by forms, routines, patterns, or traditions

His style was to have no style.

I think its best to try NOT to label it.

If you define your style, opponents can prepare for it.

If your style is undefined, no one can prepare for it.

Quote: (12-08-2013 03:53 PM)Giovonny Wrote:  

2) Invent MMA

What approaches did he revolutionise to athletic training? Got any specific examples?

OUR NEW BLOG!

http://repstylez.com

My NEW TRAVEL E-BOOK - DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - A RED CARPET AFFAIR

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K53LVR8

Love 'em or leave 'em but we can't live without lizardsssss..

An Ode To Lizards

To much hype. Guy seems to me to psychedelic. I stick with Rocky for motivation.

Maybe he even was bad for Martial Arts as he did not distance himself enough from Win Chung which is crap. Japanese and Korean Martial Arts were good enough no need for his dubious thing called JKD other than selfpromoting. In the matter of philosophy: He shouldn´t have said anything. Come on. Be like water. No thank you. Btw did he even lift and smoke?

The Martial Arts hype is also to much. Boxing and Wrestling are good enough. It worked some thousands of years. It does work nowadays too. I blame him why Win Chung is still popular.

Best motivational workout montage ist Rocky IV.