rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

The Scientific 7-Minute Workout (for Fitness on the Go)

To make it perfectly clear, I'm not recommending anyone make this their regular workout program. I think we can all do better than that.

But I do think it'd be good to memorize and practice it a few times to keep up your sleeve for a morning when you're in too much of a rush to do your regular thing, on the road, or missing your usual gear. Certainly better than doing nothing.

Takes 7 minutes. Works kind of like a cross between interval and circuit training but a lot shorter. I think the way it works is you just do each exercise once for a 30-second count, take a 10-second rest, and then move on to the next.

Works the whole body and backed up by a little research.

Just thought some of you might find it useful in a pinch. Could probably also be useful to someone just starting on a fitness regimen after years of being sedentary.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/05/09...kout/?_r=0

Quote:Quote:

The exercises should be performed in rapid succession, allowing 30 seconds for each, while, throughout, the intensity hovers at about an 8 on a discomfort scale of 1 to 10, Mr. Jordan says. Those seven minutes should be, in a word, unpleasant. The upside is, after seven minutes, you’re done.

Note: Order of exercises is important.

[Image: 12well_physed-tmagArticle.jpg]

Beyond All Seas

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe.
To be your own man is a hard business. If you try it, you'll be lonely often, and sometimes
frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." - Kipling

Are there special stop watches for interval training?

Looks good, i'll try it in the morning, see if it is deceptively difficult to get all the way through it with maximum effort.

WIA

“There’s very good evidence” that high-intensity interval training provides “many of the fitness benefits of prolonged endurance training but in much less time,” says Chris Jordan, the director of exercise physiology at the Human Performance Institute in Orlando, Fla., and co-author of the new article.

[Image: mindblown2.png]

I like how long it takes science to catch up with common sense. What would we do w/out it?

Quote: (12-06-2013 12:51 AM)WestIndianArchie Wrote:  

Looks good, i'll try it in the morning, see if it is deceptively difficult to get all the way through it with maximum effort.

WIA

For longer periods I usually use the timer on my phone, but with intervals this short, I'd just count it in your head.

Beyond All Seas

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe.
To be your own man is a hard business. If you try it, you'll be lonely often, and sometimes
frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." - Kipling

http://www.online-stopwatch.com/interval-timer/

It don't beep though, so you'll have to watch the screen. I think they have programs you can set your interval timing, and download to your mp3 player, so your not having to watch the clock.

Quote: (12-06-2013 12:57 AM)Aliblahba Wrote:  

It don't beep though, so you'll have to watch the screen.

Wonder who had the idea to make a timer that doesn't beep. lol

Beyond All Seas

Quote: (12-06-2013 01:01 AM)Beyond Borders Wrote:  

The same person that outsourced the job to India.

Nice list. I do something like this on days I can't make it to the gym.

The most important thing for me is stretching. I'm a stiff mofo. I'll do a few minutes of basic yoga and foam rolling. Follow it up with narrow pushups, squats, and pullups (i have a bar). The chair dips is a great idea though, not sure why i didn't think of that.

"...so I gave her an STD, and she STILL wanted to bang me."

TEAM NO APPS

TEAM PINK

Quote: (12-06-2013 02:08 AM)thedude3737 Wrote:  

Nice list. I do something like this on days I can't make it to the gym.

The most important thing for me is stretching. I'm a stiff mofo. I'll do a few minutes of basic yoga and foam rolling. Follow it up with narrow pushups, squats, and pullups (i have a bar). The chair dips is a great idea though, not sure why i didn't think of that.

Yeah, the chair dips are pretty nice. I do them as part of my regular workout.

They were a bit awkward the first couple days I did them but that went away really quick and I'm digging them now.

Beyond All Seas

Quote: (12-06-2013 01:02 AM)Aliblahba Wrote:  

Quote: (12-06-2013 01:01 AM)Beyond Borders Wrote:  

The same person that outsourced the job to India.

Yes it does, you have to set the noises to "on" when you're setting the interval up. Give it a second look mate.

Second, this is a great quick cardio workout, but definitely doesn't cover all the bases. Specifically, you're missing both back and biceps. Get a pullup bar!

Quote: (12-06-2013 12:51 AM)Aliblahba Wrote:  

“There’s very good evidence” that high-intensity interval training provides “many of the fitness benefits of prolonged endurance training but in much less time,” says Chris Jordan, the director of exercise physiology at the Human Performance Institute in Orlando, Fla., and co-author of the new article.

[Image: mindblown2.png]

I like how long it takes science to catch up with common sense. What would we do w/out it?

Dr. Mercola is a huge proponent of high-intensity interval training:

An added boon is that you'll save a tremendous amount of time because Peak Fitness will cut your hour-long cardio workout down to a total of 20 minutes or so, including your recovery time, warm-up and cool down. The actual sprinting totals only 4 minutes!

Here's what a typical Peak Fitness routine might look like using a recumbent bike:

1. Warm up for three minutes

2. Exercise as hard and fast as you can for 30 seconds. You should feel like you couldn't possibly go on another few seconds

3. Recover for 90 seconds

4. Repeat the high intensity exercise and recovery 7 more times

Here is one of his earliest articles on the topic, but he has written may other articles.

He personally did cardio for thirty years, but gave it up in preference to Peak Fitness exercises.

http://fitness.mercola.com/sites/fitness...fects.aspx

WIA

Yes, a gymboss. http://www.gymboss.com/

I've posted before that I'm a big fan of bodyweight exercises, I'm glad that Beyond Borders made this thread, because there's a bunch of substitutions you may guys may like too.

I use the GymBoss, definitely recommended.

A few ideas for variations, since some of those exercises in the sequence are redundant, or missing certain areas completely:

1) Put a Back Bridge or Neck Bridge somewhere in there

2) Do this while you Wall Sit:

3) Slowly build towards these types of Push Ups, to strengthen both sides and avoid imbalances:

4) Handstands, whatever direction facing the wall you feel comfortable for beginners.

5) Once the Dips become easy, challenge yourself with L-Sits instead

6) Squat Hip Rotations:

That's just off the top of my head, but if anyone has any specific questions or areas they wanna address, I have tons of these.

Quote: (12-06-2013 02:22 AM)Texas_Tryhard Wrote:  

Yes it does, you have to set the noises to "on" when you're setting the interval up. Give it a second look mate.

Second, this is a great quick cardio workout, but definitely doesn't cover all the bases. Specifically, you're missing both back and biceps. Get a pullup bar!

Good looking out, I didn't see that function. Agreed the back/biceps are missing. I wonder which exercise could best be replaced with pullups?

Quote: (12-06-2013 02:28 AM)Tail Gunner Wrote:  

Dr. Mercola is a huge proponent of high-intensity interval training:

I'm starting to read more of Dr Mercola's articles. Lot of good stuff in there and he preaches hard about fermented foods. All broscience of course. [Image: wink.gif]

Quote: (12-06-2013 02:29 AM)Big Nilla Wrote:  

WIA

Yes, a gymboss. http://www.gymboss.com/

Like I need another gadget to travel with, but this is good if you're working outdoors. I still wish there was some downloadable interval timer for the mp3. Listen to music and get reminded to the times.

This is a good workout when you are stuck in a hotel without a gym. Where's Hades?

There is a free 7 minute workout app, sorry I can't link to it from this crappy nook. Has a picture of the exercise and runs a timer.

Yeah, for sure, you could design a much better no-equipment workout. Absolutely. My regular workouts are actually all bodyweight - just need to get a portable pullup bar to complete it.

I thought this was cool because of the emphasis on 7 minutes to finish, including rests and cardio. Kind of knocks out the "no time to work out" excuse that so many people use. I could see using this on days where I really don't have the time, which happened a couple times recently when a friend from Thailand visited and wanted to play tourist for a week. Not hard to squeeze less than 10 minutes out of even a rushed morning.

So just a supplementary workout to fill in those gaps with a bit of something that gets your blood flowing and hits the majority of muscles.

Then back to the more advanced routine then next day or asap or whatever.

Cool videos, though, Lebeau. Always down to see more bodyweight exercises. Killer how much you can do without equipment.

That's definitely a pushup technique I've never seen.

Beyond All Seas

Quote: (12-06-2013 09:36 AM)gfly Wrote:  

There is a free 7 minute workout app, sorry I can't link to it from this crappy nook. Has a picture of the exercise and runs a timer.

Version 1 - http://7minworkoutapp.com/
Version 2, w/link to iPhone app - http://www.7-min.com/

"I'm not worried about fucking terrorism, man. I was married for two fucking years. What are they going to do, scare me?"

I'll see you, and raise you the clock on the wall...

They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety- Benjamin Franklin, as if you didn't know...