rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

How college can inhibit your growth as a man.

Had a great time in college but looking back I'm realizing that it hurt my development in a lot of ways too. Here's why:

-Women: I was in a fraternity, and quite a popular one at that. I good laid a fair bit but I can honestly say it was mostly due to sheer numbers. When you're in a fraternity, you go out a lot and meet tons of women. It was just enough to keep me from getting the kick-in-the-ass I needed to work on myself and be much better with women.

-Lack of development of interests: In college, "partying" was my hobby, my activity. I never developed skills and interests beyond this. I've started down this road now in my life (at 30), but had I started earlier I'd be much farther ahead. The "party" element to college can be a serious detriment to your development.

-Development of friendships: I realize now that the only thing me and a lot of my buddies from college have in common is that we party together, and I'd get caught up too much in the social life BS with people I wasn't really good friends with in retrospect. Focusing on social life/friends is time away from yourself and figuring out what YOU really want. You get sucked into this having friends for the sake of having friends thing, and not doing things you don't want to do b/c your friends do want to do them. When you develop yourself first, you get a better quality of friends.

Those are just a few things from my experience that I think guys thinking about college need to consider. If you've been to college and have any points you'd like to add, please do. I think this day in age, with the absurd cost of college, it's important for guys to see the possible downsides of the experience (disclaimer: While no one is responsible but myself for my lack of self-development in college, my surroundings certainly didn't help. It's easy to get sucked into these circumstances I mentioned above).

Civilize the mind but make savage the body.

College is what you make. There's tons of social life doing activities, clubs, rec sports, etc in addition to partying. I think it comes down to the route you choose as a man, which is also the same as life: you gotta choose a path after college too.

I think most of your points are right, but my experience was more of the opposite. Im 6 months out of undergrad and already thinking about what more I could have done. More parties, more girls, more fun. I honestly think its a smaller percentage that have the outrageous, movie quality college experience.

I probably would have joined a frat if I could start over. But the scene at the uni I chose was a joke, or so I was told. And the "brotherhood" always seemed too superficial to me. Seems to me you can have just as much fun not being in a frat, but you do give up great social benefits.

I put in my time, got me degree, and left. I think I did alright but my experience wasn't off the hook insane that so many people make it out to be. Sometimes I wished I would have slowed down.

edit: And fuck, what luck I have to discover the manosphere and game after college...