rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Is rhythm something you're borned with or something you can learn?

Is rhythm something you're born with or a skill that you can learn? If I want to learn to play an musical instrument, but don't have much natural rhythm, how hard would it be for me to learn?

born*

You can learn, although many people have already learned rhythm through listening to music, which you may refer to as being born with rhythm. Anyways stop thinking about it and play. Get a second-hand guitar, chances are you will go far if you can make sounds loud and mellow.

Is game something you're born with? If I grew up with no natural talent getting girls does that mean I'll never be able to learn?

I think you already know the answer to your question. Work your ass off and you can learn.

Of course you can learn it.

I think people can improve it over time by listening to a lot of music.

Maybe try listening to something that's more bass-orientated, and focusing on that instrumental part more than the guitar?

I'm always singing bass-lines from Incubus/Chili's/RATM to myself, and am always drumming in random places on tables/on walls/with my chopsticks/with my thumb and third finger (looks like a walking crab)/with my two thumbs/with my fists, hitting on my knees/with my two fingers on my phone. I actually think this is one of the reasons why I like playing bass so much and consider myself to have decent rhythm.

I find that my friends typically know the words to songs more often than me because I concentrate much more on the bass/drums.

My old drummer certainly had no rhythm. He had incredible dexterity and was a beast with his double bass pedal, but one practice we had to sit him down and teach him how to manage a simple 4/4 beat. We played 'Hate to Say I Told You So' by 'The Hives' to make it as easy as possible for him, but he still managed to fuck it up haha.

The guy would just randomly do a drum solo whenever he pleased, often making the song change from 4/4, to 3/4, to 9/8, to 4/4, to 7/8.

One time we stopped a song in the middle because of it and he said that he was following the guitar haha.

Learn able, but requires 2 things
1. Lots of work
2. You have to enjoy the work as well as the outcome.

With anything, it's the first 50-100 hours absolutely suck. Most give up before basic competency.

rhythm is something you learn, but not on your own. it's a social thing. gotta jam on a hand drum with people, or simple strumming, or dancing.

Gotta get that feedback!

You can learn rhythm. Many people have no natural rhythym and then learn to sing, dance, or play instruments. I'm one of them. I learned to play guitar at a young age, but that honestly didn't help me with dancing at all. I eventually learned some dance styles, but that was later in life and after a good amount of focused practice.

If you want to get good at rhythm learn how to play drums and/or listen to AC/DC's Back in Black.

You want to know the only thing you can assume about a broken down old man? It's that he's a survivor.

It's a trait that can come naturally with practice or hours of sitting next to a metronome.

I used to have a ton of problems with counting when I used to play viola and violin. As I got older, for some reason it got easier.

Get a metronome.

You can definitely learn rhythm.

Musical rhythm is simply practice, practice, practice. Never got any good at it but you can definitely get the basics, I would learn piano.

Also, generally if you were a good athlete that will help with your footwork but each sport is different (if we're talking dancing rhythm).

You can learn rhythm, but without talent, you won't feel the rhythm.

Of course you can learn it. You can talk can't you? If you can talk, you can hold a rhythm. . .

(there's a lot of rhytm in your speech. . .i'ts practically all rhythm)

And yes, people can "learn" rhythm, music etc. . .that's what school is for [Image: smile.gif]

You don't have to have "natural rhythm" to learn an instrument. . .you need to. . .

learn the instrument, learn how to read music, and then. . .play the instrument.

no one was "born" a genius at anything. . .except learning.

Isaiah 4:1

Quote: (12-01-2013 10:27 AM)SexualHarrasmentPanda Wrote:  

Get a second-hand guitar, chances are you will go far if you can make sounds loud and mellow.

Thanks! Now I got that song stuck in my head!

Born with.

Our New Blog:

http://www.repstylez.com

You can learn it but you'll never be as good as someone born with it. It's like many things. I played guitar for a long time. Id meet people who played better than me with much less time playing. Some people just have it. Same with snowboarding. I have a Brazilian friend who probably rode half as much as me but was better. He was hust born with it. It's not that I'm not good and I don't push myself, he's just a natural. Those are the guys you see who are pro. You can invest every day of your life riding and still, the guy who was born with it will have to spend half the time you will to be at the same level.

I was part of an African drumming group at middle school for two years. That gave me rhythm for sure. It was almost all complicated drum rhythms from about thirty people, plus a few vocals. Pretty cool shit. Had a couple of gigs at a few fairly large venues as part of a national school music talent show. Then the guy teaching it (he was called Christian. Black African, great guy), his wife left him and it all fell apart. Same old.

They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety- Benjamin Franklin, as if you didn't know...

Just watch this a lot. It'll come.

"In America we don't worship government, we worship God." - President Donald J. Trump

Quote: (12-01-2013 03:03 PM)frenchie Wrote:  

Get a metronome.

I've worked with brilliant musicians, drummers included, who could not play to a click track even if I held a gun to their heads. In my book, rhythm and timing are synonymous - one without the other is meaningless. Play whatever you play to a click track/metronome, then do it some more...and then do it some more. You'll eventually (knock on wood) be able to generate/lock into an internal metronome and stay right in the pocket of whatever you're playing.

Practice is everything! [Image: smile.gif]