rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Working out...morning vs night?

There's lots of mixed opinions...majority seem to tell you to work out in the morning. Of course, the US is obsessed with working so it's just another way to tell you to wake up early.

I personally never work out in the morning, simply from not being a morning person (I've never enjoyed free breakfast at a hotel for this reason).

I know a lot of people feel an energy kick from a morning workout. I never have. I work out at night, just because it relaxes me a bit and I'm tired afterwards.

The only problem with this is weekends, no point in working out at 9 or 10pm if you have plans to be out somewhere that night. I don't think most morning people wake up at 7am on the weekend if they've been partying the night before so it does sort of balance itself out.

What's your take on this? Mid-day workout should also be included. If your schedule permits this, it could very well be the best time to work out.

I've worked out in the morning before work previously, but I found when winter came around it became increasingly harder to find the motivation to get out of bed at that hour...so, I changed to working out straight after work.

I feel I can take my time a bit more too, and not rush through the workout. I have no idea on the science behind it, but I also think that eating a solid main meal for dinner soon after a workout is giving my body the best chance at recovery and growth.

I reserve my weekends for relaxing/play, so it's purely weekday workouts for me.

I've found that if my schedule allows it then my ideal day is skipping breakfast and doing all my work for the day between say 7am to 1pm, then going to the gym, having a post workout lunch, filling the afternoon with running errands and reading and such, and going grocery shopping to get things for making a nice dinner.

I have better mental focus prior to eating. I'll have a cup or two of good black coffee in the morning. I've found BCAAs helpful when lifting weights in a fasted state. And a more subtle but important aspect, at least for me, is that if I have a productive morning and I feel satisfied with the work I've done for the day then I am much more motivated to lift and I can focus more on the lifting without my mind wandering. Having recently entered my 30's I'm finding stress management to be equally important to lifting weights for my physical performance.

Quote:Quote:

I reserve my weekends for relaxing/play, so it's purely weekday workouts for me.

Just add another day to your lifting schedule on the weekdays. If it's too difficult to wake up on weekends or you lack the motivation, just stick with weekday lifts.

When I hit the gym, I try to shy away from weekend lifting because I just want to go out and do something fun instead of making myself physically exhausted. Weekend lifting only ruins my plans.

Reporter: What keeps you awake at night?
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis: Nothing, I keep other people awake at night.

OKC Data Sheet

Morning, definitely. It puts your whole day into balance, make you hungry for food throughout your day while giving you a natural confidence in your body while you game.

I read a study in my mens health one time that said you work out harder on afternoon/evening work outs. Had some science behind it but I dont remember exactly what it was.

I think they both have their pros and cons. As long as you work out I think its fine to do it whenever works best for you.

Bruising cervix since 96
#TeamBeard
"I just want to live out my days drinking virgin margaritas and banging virgin señoritas" - Uncle Cr33pin

Why not do both? Personally I've found I can do cardio harder in the morning and lift heavier at night. Get up, jump rope for 30 minutes. Go to work. Lift for 45 minutes after work. Easy.

Quote: (11-27-2013 09:50 AM)Statsi Wrote:  

Morning, definitely. It puts your whole day into balance, make you hungry for food throughout your day while giving you a natural confidence in your body while you game.

2nd this.

I have more energy in the morning and have better progress while lifting. It's not the same if I go in the afternoon or at night.

Not to mention it makes day gaming so much more powerful. Also let busy in the morning and you meet the real serious gym folk who are generally pretty cool and will help you with form.

If you plan to workout in the morning, you will more likely get it done.

Evening workouts can easily be missed due to unexpected plans, etc, etc.

While its a pain to get to the gym in the morning, after showering you feel great and have more energy for the day.

I've been working at 6, about an hour after I get off work.

Thisgym iisn't really busy so it works.

I'm still in college so my schedule is pretty relaxed, I tend to go around 2PMish. Get up around 7, eat, go to morning classes, grab lunch, go the gym, and take a 30-40 minute power nap afterward with a protein shake in my stomach.

Morning...puts me in a better mood for the rest of the day, and gets it out of the way!

Morning workouts actually make me more tired, like I've had to expound my energy to get through the day into that workout, then I'm just trying to stay awake. I'm also as far from being a morning person as the Earth is to Pluto. Might be why.

I remember in college sometimes having to stay up all night finishing a paper, studying, etc, then relying on coffee to stay awake during the day, I was able to do it, but it didn't feel right.

Morning workouts are better. I find I'm better able to control my diet post workout so the earlier the better.

Quote: (11-28-2013 04:49 AM)lavidaloca Wrote:  

Morning workouts are better. I find I'm better able to control my diet post workout so the earlier the better.

I feel the need to eat like a motherfucker after lifting.

[Image: fatbanana.gif]

When I have to wake up for work and try to work out before work, it just makes me super tired the whole day.

The earliest that works for me is mid-day. Evening is the best. On weekends, either rest or mid-day workout, before a big brunch. Try everything, see what works for you.

Been lifting at 8:30am and I fucking love it. Get shit done way earlier, and feel like a beast all day. Ready to caveman those little Thai office girls on their way to work.

Anyone ever try doing a light workout in the morning, then their usual routine at night?

Simply crunches/push ups? Maybe a few barbell curls?

May have to give that a try.

I do nights since I barely have enough time to get to work on a weekday (Long drives lately)

I can't workout unless I'm nourished (I get hypoglycemic easily), and I can't workout until 1.5 - 2.0 hours after eating, so that eliminates the morning.

I usually have a snack (eg, protein bar) around 3 pm, then workout starting around 5:30-6:00 pm.

Take care of those titties for me.

I do it in the evening after work. Mon-Wed-Fri 6pm-ish.

I've also found good results doing a run or jump rope session in the morning and lifting later in the day.

I work out morning and night.

The evening workout is pretty low-key though. Just 20-30 minutes of jogging or brisk walking two hours before bed. In the morning I do strength-training and jog.

I feel like both is a good idea if you work sitting down. Don't need to kill yourself but at least get out there and move around.

Inactivity is extremely destructive to the human body.

Beyond All Seas

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe.
To be your own man is a hard business. If you try it, you'll be lonely often, and sometimes
frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." - Kipling

Quality thread. Time for a change methinks. I often feel the 'buzz' from working out is wasted if I do it at my usual time of 8PM. And if it's pub night then I often skip the workout. Double no no.

I will give mornings a shot. The 'cold water on face upon waking' thing someone on here suggested is working wonders also.

They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety- Benjamin Franklin, as if you didn't know...

Quote: (12-01-2013 08:03 AM)roberto Wrote:  

Quality thread. Time for a change methinks. I often feel the 'buzz' from working out is wasted if I do it at my usual time of 8PM. And if it's pub night then I often skip the workout. Double no no.

I will give mornings a shot. The 'cold water on face upon waking' thing someone on here suggested is working wonders also.

I'll swoop credit for that. [Image: biggrin.gif]

Beyond All Seas

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe.
To be your own man is a hard business. If you try it, you'll be lonely often, and sometimes
frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." - Kipling