rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Dewar's Ad

Dewar's Ad

This ad really makes me want to switch to Dewar's brand scotch. They did take a page out of the Dos Equis playbook with the narration but I like what they're doing.

Dewar's Ad

I like where these ads are going. It seems that the Brits are a bit ahead when it comes to catching on to the way men are going/ feeling.

No more men being played the fool.

Check this thread out. Guinness.

Dewar's Ad

Yeah, they totally took a page from the Dos Equis guy. Building the brand around an interesting, manly, larger than life older guy who's seen it and done it all, yet still remains classy and in the company of a beautiful woman at the end. Good commercial, but the parallels with the Dos Equis guy are uncanny.

Dewar's Ad

Man, Claire Forlani has aged really well

Dewar's Ad

Men being played the fool is men giving into ads like this.

"Drink this average scotch and you'll become a superman"

Dewar's Ad

Eh, it falls short of the mark. The character is cartoonish, derivative, even one dimensional. And the attention whore at the end is annoying - I'd have ended it with her in a submissive pose with him.

Dewar's Ad

Quote: (11-22-2013 10:28 PM)basilransom Wrote:  

Eh, it falls short of the mark. The character is cartoonish, derivative, even one dimensional. And the attention whore at the end is annoying - I'd have ended it with her in a submissive pose with him.

Its a process. The last 10-15 years of advertising have been brutal for men.

Its a slow climb out, but at least its beginning.

Dewar's Ad

Quote: (11-22-2013 11:24 PM)Laner Wrote:  

Why do we even need to climb out of advertising? There's no way that a commercial can give you the taste of a scotch.

Just go out and try all the scotches to find something you like.

Dewar's Ad

Advertisers/the media has no choice but to present caricatures of 'traditional' masculinity to suggest men can be something more than they already are. If they made an average looking dude act like this people would just laugh.

the most interesting man in the world, this guy, ron swanson, even don draper are over the top and harken back to idylls of masculinity. more and more men are starting to follow the example of these characters, but like soup brought up trying to be some cartoonish ideal is a fools errand. Men will realize this soon enough that it is about 'being' more like one of these characters instead of just looking like one.

Dewar's Ad

Quote: (11-22-2013 11:34 PM)WesternCancer Wrote:  

Advertisers/the media has no choice but to present caricatures of 'traditional' masculinity to suggest men can be something more than they already are. If they made an average looking dude act like this people would just laugh.

the most interesting man in the world, this guy, ron swanson, even don draper are over the top and harken back to idylls of masculinity. more and more men are starting to follow the example of these characters, but like soup brought up trying to be some cartoonish ideal is a fools errand. Men will realize this soon enough that it is about 'being' more like one of these characters instead of just looking like one.

1800 Tequila has been working the masculine man angle for a while as well.

Dewar's Ad

Quote: (11-22-2013 11:34 PM)soup Wrote:  

Quote: (11-22-2013 11:24 PM)Laner Wrote:  

Why do we even need to climb out of advertising? There's no way that a commercial can give you the taste of a scotch.

Just go out and try all the scotches to find something you like.

Because its showing that times are changing. Advertising is only a small step behind the actual reality. I have worked with people whose sole job it is to "hunt for cool".

For the most part companies put their ad dollars into where the market is. Women. And the guys that support them. They make the chumps feel like they are doing what everyone else is doing; putting up with overbearing women and pretending to enjoy it.

"We" dont have to climb out. "We" are the lucky few. But seeing ad money being spent in this direction shows that agencies are noticing that this thinking is here to stay, and that men from all levels of society are looking for change.

Dewar's Ad

The bitch at the end (@1:01), who delivered that sultry last line, should have come up from sucking his dick--and still had it gripped in her hand near her face--as she turned to face the camera.

That was, to be frank, the only thing missing.

3/10 Would Not Drink

Tuthmosis Twitter | IRT Twitter

Dewar's Ad

He's a hipster who looks like he lifts so I guess he would fit in here perfectly.

If only you knew how bad things really are.