rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Colon Cancer Prevention

Colon Cancer Prevention

I'm eating lots of meat and am worried about colon cancer.

I sometimes juice a ginger root and add it to apple juice and drink it.

Any ideas on easy ways to get lots of soluble fiber? I get insoluble fiber from psyllium.

Fun fact: Soluble fiber is fermented by gut bacteria and the SCT's produced feed the colon cells, preventing cancer.

Colon Cancer Prevention

I dunno why. Meat is fully digested before it hits the colon, there is no indigestible fiber in it. If you ate meat alone you probably wouldn't have much bulk in your poo. For me this makes it difficult to go so I eat a fair amount of vegetables and carbs to make it easier to pass.

If your really worried get a colonoscopy. I getting one this week. To make it easier they now have you remove fiber for preparations like 4 days ahead of time. This makes smaller poops which are easier to pass by the laxative.

Colon Cancer Prevention

Dried prunes/prune juice.

Colon Cancer Prevention

raw oats are a really good source of soluble fiber. Apples and berries have a lot of soluble fiber as well. Also the skin of the apples have lots of nutrients so id recommend getting a vitamix and just adding cut up apples into it along with water ginger root and spinach. its actually not that bad and its more nutritious than using juice only.

Colon Cancer Prevention

People talk about the risks of "heme iron" as though it's a serious reason to curb meat consumption. It's all hype, just bullshit vegetarian propaganda. Meat itself is nature's perfect food, vegetarians had to really dig deep to find a reason for people not to eat it. I think that heme iron risk might increase your likelihood of getting colon cancer (lifetime) from 3% to 4% but it's been a while since I did the math.

If you're worried about cancer just do intermittent fasting one day per week or somewhat regularly do a round of ketosis. Also be sure to eat plenty of fruits and vegetables rich in antioxidants. The autophagy (and draining of bodily glucose) with respect to intermittent fasting probably suppresses tumors. I'm not a doctor, but IF will keep you pretty healthy.

It's been proven that cancerous tumors lack the metabolic flexibility to run on ketones, they simply shrivel up and die.

Plenty of people with serious brain tumors and huge cancers have turned to a ketogenic diet only to find their cancer vanish. Check out Fred Hatfield's post on the subject - he just started eating bacon and eggs and his enormous brain cancer died. I trust the guy since he's Dr. Squat.

That's why I'm fairly certain that cancer itself is going to be redefined as a metabolic disease.

It might take a very long time, the Puritanical public health assholes (i.e; the powers that be) are convinced that cancer is a form of witchcraft that is activated in the presence of cigarettes (or other carcinogens)- guess what guys? Tobacco consumption is at it's lowest in fifty years, and inexplicably cancer rates are at their highest! Smoking went down, cancer went up. Insane, right? Maybe we live in upside-down land, and smoking somehow does not cause cancer. More likely, though, that obesity and chronically elevated blood sugar is a bigger risk factor for cancer than smoking - I guess 'healthy at any size' really is bullshit, unless "healthy" is redefined as "riddled with cancers".

Colon Cancer Prevention

Jerk off more.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn48...onPlcSno44

If you're not growing, you're dying.

Colon Cancer Prevention

Plains Native Americans practically lived off bison and I don't think they were coming down with colon cancer. I think what messes up meat is nitrates added in processed meat. Probably best to minimize lunch meats, sausage, pepperoni, bacon, hot dogs, things of that sort. Eating straight grass-fed beef that hasn't been processed shouldn't be any long-term problem. Argentina should have the highest colon cancer rate in the world if red meat in and of itself was the problem. I think it's a lot of other things that contribute.

Colon Cancer Prevention

Quote: (11-18-2013 04:20 AM)speakeasy Wrote:  

Plains Native Americans practically lived off bison and I don't think they were coming down with colon cancer. I think what messes up meat is nitrates added in processed meat. Probably best to minimize lunch meats, sausage, pepperoni, bacon, hot dogs, things of that sort. Eating straight grass-fed beef that hasn't been processed shouldn't be any long-term problem. Argentina should have the highest colon cancer rate in the world if red meat in and of itself was the problem. I think it's a lot of other things that contribute.

I agree with this statement. Regular consumption of processed food raises your risk for colon cancer.

As with many things, it's no so much as what you take that prevents cancer, as to what you don't take.

Colon Cancer Prevention

Quote: (11-18-2013 03:10 AM)Hades Wrote:  

Smoking went down, cancer went up.

If you control for population growth, lung cancer rates have been falling over the past 20 years, and this appears to be because less people smoke.

The fall is made somewhat less dramatic due to cancerous effects of increasing air pollution, women increasingly taking up smoking, and also population growth (more people = more cancer).

Smoking does dramatically increase your risk of lung cancer and 90% of lung cancers are still diagnosed in smokers.

Let's not be spreading Big Tobacco sponsored propaganda, please. Smoking causes lung cancer in some people, end of story.

Colon Cancer Prevention

There's a cereal in Australia called Goodness superfood that contains a high content of soluble and insoluble fibre. I believe they make it out of barley oats so it has a different sort of health properties as normal oats.

Colon Cancer Prevention

If your really worried about it see a GI doctor and see if he recommends a colonoscopy. That way you know with certainty if you have colon cancer since he can see it directly with the endoscope. Do you have a family history of it or GI problems?

Colon Cancer Prevention

Plains Native Americans practically lived off bison and I don't think they were coming down with colon cancer.

You know what thats a great Idea, I think ill have a Bison Burger today for lunch. Thanks for the recommendation. LOL I was sitting here thinking what am i going to eat Bison sounds great thanks LOL.

Colon Cancer Prevention

People talk about the risks of "heme iron" as though it's a serious reason to curb meat consumption. It's all hype, just bullshit vegetarian propaganda. Meat itself is nature's perfect food, vegetarians had to really dig deep to find a reason for people not to eat it. I think that heme iron risk might increase your likelihood of getting colon cancer (lifetime) from 3% to 4% but it's been a while since I did the math.

If you're worried about cancer just do intermittent fasting one day per week or somewhat regularly do a round of ketosis. Also be sure to eat plenty of fruits and vegetables rich in antioxidants. The autophagy (and draining of bodily glucose) with respect to intermittent fasting probably suppresses tumors. I'm not a doctor, but IF will keep you pretty healthy.

It's been proven that cancerous tumors lack the metabolic flexibility to run on ketones, they simply shrivel up and die.

Plenty of people with serious brain tumors and huge cancers have turned to a ketogenic diet only to find their cancer vanish. Check out Fred Hatfield's post on the subject - he just started eating bacon and eggs and his enormous brain cancer died. I trust the guy since he's Dr. Squat.

That's why I'm fairly certain that cancer itself is going to be redefined as a metabolic disease.

It might take a very long time, the Puritanical public health assholes (i.e; the powers that be) are convinced that cancer is a form of witchcraft that is activated in the presence of cigarettes (or other carcinogens)- guess what guys? Tobacco consumption is at it's lowest in fifty years, and inexplicably cancer rates are at their highest! Smoking went down, cancer went up. Insane, right? Maybe we live in upside-down land, and smoking somehow does not cause cancer. More likely, though, that obesity and chronically elevated blood sugar is a bigger risk factor for cancer than smoking - I guess 'healthy at any size' really is bullshit, unless "healthy" is redefined as "riddled with cancers".

It's far from hippe Vegan shit. Humans were never designed to eat heavy meat diets. You will be hard pressed to find a elder whom isn't a Inuit whom lives off a 70% meat diet and is in elite health.

The Bodybuilding myth is that jacking metal weights around and eating 200g of protein a day is some how normal.. It never has been normal. It's a lifestyle deviant from the human norm. Accept that fact and just tweak things to get the most out of it. Most Bodybuilders are in shitty health and age poorly.

Colon Cancer has been exploding because we're not moving around as much, sitting to
much, not eating enough fibre, and drinking enough water. Curb all those bad modern human habits and you be fine. Nothing wrong with eating meat just remember you have to eat your fibre and drink your water with it.

The stuff sits in you gut for days breaking down. A vegetable can las through in a few hours ... Think which one is more healthy...

Drink your water. Eat your veggies, flax ha a shit ton of fibre I use that to bump up my daily totals. Prunes and prune juice is a old school method to stimulate your gut to work better. All are just little daily things you can do.

If you don't follow good habits it's basically a coin flip that you will get colon issues down the road. Shit isn't a joke. My old man just barley scaved off serious issues from catching shit early.

Bison was a small staple. Aboriginals relied on berrys, squash, quninoa, amaranth, and maygrasses and maize of course.

They did not "practically live off Bison, they used all aspects of the Bison to live from its fat to skin, hair, and bones. One but it wasn't a dominate food stuff because like I have noted before food is energy and populations without cheap energy will kill them selves off by strictly relying on meat as a fuel source of food. It does not make any sense energy wise to so and is why few cultures live exclusively off meat. It is a myth that has been passed around by Paleo hacks whom jumble Inuits and Africans in the same boat tocome to some broad conclusion as they drive to the supermarket to pick up their meat. If they had to kill, gut, skin, and prep their meat the attitudes would change overnight.

The few cultures that do live exclusively off near they have extremely large livers and bladders to help in processing waste and nitrates out of the meat. A Inuits bladder is nearly double and some the size of a regular humans. People think this shit is games.... Nature always wins.

Colon Cancer Prevention

Colon Cancer Prevention

Quote: (11-18-2013 06:15 AM)Thomas the Rhymer Wrote:  

Smoking went down, cancer went up.
Smoking does dramatically increase your risk of lung cancer and 90% of lung cancers are still diagnosed in smokers.

Let's not be spreading Big Tobacco sponsored propaganda, please. Smoking causes lung cancer in some people, end of story.

I agree completely that smoking is a huge risk factor and lots of people who would never get lung cancer had they never smoked develop it due to smoking. My post was referring to all incidences of cancer.

I read somewhere that despite less smoking, incidences of most types of cancers have been steadily going up, much to the bafflement of public health officials who assumed that smoking (and secondhand smoke) was a cancer-spreading grim reaper, causing not only lung cancer but all other sorts of cancers - so apparently other serious risk factors exist that play a role in cancer and it has nothing to do with smoking. Stress, obesity, bad diet, etc.

Another study alluded to the weirdness that was lifetime incidence of lung cancer and percentage of population that smokes, apparently the Japanese and the Swedish both have (or had) pretty high smoking rates but the Swedish were more than twice as likely to develop lung cancer as the similarly heavy-smoking Japanese. It's unclear why this is but it's suggested that some kind of genetic predisposition increases the likelihood of cancer in the Swedish (it's surely not an issue of longevity, the Japanese live for a very long time).

Now more incidences of cancer could be due to more healthcare or catching it earlier, not sure if the study did (or could) account for that, but my guess is that obesity (and maybe a sedentary lifestyle) is now a bigger risk factor towards developing cancer, as people have never been fatter.

What is strange is that being lean is supposedly a risk factor towards developing testicular cancer. Gonna have to do some more halfways productive reading about cancer to have a better opinion on it.

Quote: (11-18-2013 11:25 AM)kosko Wrote:  

It's far from hippe Vegan shit. Humans were never designed to eat heavy meat diets. You will be hard pressed to find a elder whom isn't a Inuit whom lives off a 70% meat diet and is in elite health.

The Bodybuilding myth is that jacking metal weights around and eating 200g of protein a day is some how normal.. It never has been normal. It's a lifestyle deviant from the human norm. Accept that fact and just tweak things to get the most out of it. Most Bodybuilders are in shitty health and age poorly.

Colon Cancer has been exploding because we're not moving around as much, sitting to
much, not eating enough fibre, and drinking enough water. Curb all those bad modern human habits and you be fine. Nothing wrong with eating meat just remember you have to eat your fibre and drink your water with it.

The stuff sits in you gut for days breaking down. A vegetable can las through in a few hours ... Think which one is more healthy...

Drink your water. Eat your veggies, flax ha a shit ton of fibre I use that to bump up my daily totals. Prunes and prune juice is a old school method to stimulate your gut to work better. All are just little daily things you can do.

If you don't follow good habits it's basically a coin flip that you will get colon issues down the road. Shit isn't a joke. My old man just barley scaved off serious issues from catching shit early.

A guy can eat 200 grams of protein and it's no problem. I get probably 130 from meat and the remainder from protein shakes, eggs, and cheese. In a regular week I probably eat twice as many vegetables as most people (lots of stewed celery, carrots, mushrooms, cabbage, and onions, sometimes potatoes if peckish, along with pork or chicken of course). Two or three bananas at work every day. Still take pretty huge shits regularly.

I avoid eating any flax since it's estrogenic (as is soy, sunflower seeds). Celery probably has a lot of fiber, though it can be heavy on the pesticides - organic is a bitch though.

Agreed, fiber is important, and Paleo Man ate tons of it. Vegetables in general were more woody back then and full of fiber. Nowadays after cultivating grains and whatnot, fiber can be harder to come by.

Some website aggregated the highest fiber fruits and vegetables that I'll throw down here -
Quote:thyroid about dot com Wrote:

Highest Fiber Vegetables
Avocado
Beans
Broccoli*
Brussels sprouts*
Cabbage*
Carrot
Chick Peas/Garbanzo Beans
Eggplant
Greens -- collards, kale, turnip greens*
Lima beans
Mushrooms
Potato with skin
Pumpkin, canned
Peas -- black-eyed peas, green peas
Peppers
Rhubarb
Spinach*
Sweet Potatoes

* These high-fiber vegetables are also goitrogenic, meaning that they promote thyroid enlargement and can potentially cause or aggravate hypothyroidism. Typically, the risk is highest when these foods are consumed raw, regularly, and in substantial quantity. Cooking eliminates most goitrogenic properties.

Highest Fiber Fruits
Apples
Avocado
Bananas
Berries -- Blueberies, Blackberries, Raspberries, etc.
Dried Fruits -- Figs, Raisins, Apricots, Dates, etc.
Guava
Kiwi
Orange
Pears
Prunes

Colon Cancer Prevention

main reason for colon cancer is sodium nitrate and nitrites.

Colon Cancer Prevention

My digestive tract has been good over the decades despite lots of crappy food/poor diet coupled with heavy partying in my younger years. Went to Spain in September; about a month before I was getting the runs, but I thought it might've been from burning the candle (at age 58) at both ends. Got sick (cold) in Spain (someone on the plane was was sick, and got my girlfriend and myself it), the indigestion didn't go away like it normally does when I get back from traveling. Started losing weight from dehydration, fatigue, problem got worse - was tested for parasites, and had a relatively benign endolimax nana (probably from Cancun I'm thinking), treated that - no relief. A biopsy reveled microscopic colitis; I'm on week two of of a twelve week course of Budesonide (a glucocorticoid steroid). Gotta' say, it's actually helping me - stoppin' me up. Hopefully it won't come back as well!

My point is, take care of your digestive system NOW so you don't get to your retirement and have to deal with shit like this. That diet above is spot-on! I'm finally getting my shit together - no gluten, no dairy, no salt, no booze, very limited sugar...it's tough, but I've got no choice.

Colon Cancer Prevention

You need to get this probiotic:

VSL3

It's the most potent probiotic available and its efficacy has been demonstrated in multiple studies. It is often curative for things like colitis. Get your GI to prescribe it to you and start taking the prescription strength formulation.

You can review the following page and pubmed links from it:

http://www.vsl3.com/discover.asp

Summary:

Quote:Quote:

How does VSL#3 work?

According to the latest definition, a probiotic has to 'confer a benefit to the host.' The following benefits are taken from studies of VSL#3.

VSL#3 acts as a protective barrier in the gastrointestinal (GI) tract. link

VSL#3 works by colonizing the GI tract with optimal quantities and types of probiotic bacteria. These bacteria adhere to the walls of the GI tract and form a barrier that protects the inner layer of the gut from pathogens. Pathogens release toxic substances that can cause a reduction in the number and type of bacteria in the intestine, which can affect a person's intestinal health.

The human GI tract has thousands of billions of resident bacteria called commensal bacteria. In order to change the composition of this gut flora in a positive way, an extremely large amount of probiotic bacteria is necessary. VSL#3 is the only probiotic preparation that delivers enough bacteria to beneficially affect the gut flora in patients with serious intestinal disorders.

VSL#3 bacteria make it all the way through the GI tract.

Further reading:
Link 1 | Link 2 | Link 3 | Link 4 | Link 5 | Link 6 | Link 7

At the cellular level, VSL#3 positively affects a variety of substances that are involved in gut function. This is important to ensure the correct absorption of nutrients and to maintain barrier function.

Finally, evidence suggests that VSL#3 can reduce intestinal permeability by tightening the junctions between the cells in the outer layer of the intestine which reduces the likelihood of translocation (pathogens moving from the intestine into the blood).

same old shit, sixes and sevens Shaft...

Colon Cancer Prevention

Please take your extremely expensive 4 hour work week inspired probiotic to some other forum. I have seen you trying to sell this stuff in several different posts. You can make a liter of sauerkraut for about $US 1.50( Fermented Foods Thread) or you can buy Stonyfield yogurt that has 6 different live cultures in it for about $US 3.50. Your product costs $US 86 for 30 pills and there is no evidence to suggest that these inexpensive, traditional alternatives are any less efficacious.

Quote: (11-28-2013 07:49 PM)The Lizard of Oz Wrote:  

VSL3

It's the most potent probiotic available and its efficacy has been demonstrated in multiple studies. It is often curative for things like colitis. Get your GI to prescribe it to you and start taking the prescription strength formulation.

Summary:

How does VSL#3 work?

According to the latest definition, a probiotic has to 'confer a benefit to the host.' The following benefits are taken from studies of VSL#3.

VSL#3 works by colonizing the GI tract with optimal quantities and types of probiotic bacteria. These bacteria adhere to the walls of the GI tract and form a barrier that protects the inner layer of the gut from pathogens. Pathogens release toxic substances that can cause a reduction in the number and type of bacteria in the intestine, which can affect a person's intestinal health.

The human GI tract has thousands of billions of resident bacteria called commensal bacteria. In order to change the composition of this gut flora in a positive way, an extremely large amount of probiotic bacteria is necessary. VSL#3 is the only probiotic preparation that delivers enough bacteria to beneficially affect the gut flora in patients with serious intestinal disorders.

Further reading:

At the cellular level, VSL#3 positively affects a variety of substances that are involved in gut function. This is important to ensure the correct absorption of nutrients and to maintain barrier function.

Finally, evidence suggests that VSL#3 can reduce intestinal permeability by tightening the junctions between the cells in the outer layer of the intestine which reduces the likelihood of translocation (pathogens moving from the intestine into the blood).

Colon Cancer Prevention

No. There is in fact a great deal of evidence that VSL3 is uniquely effective in the treatment of disorders such as IBS and ulcerative colitis, as well as general maintenance of healthy gut flora. I suggest you read the following articles:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=...iol%202001

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10468688

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17344505

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12190202

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16401690

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20018654

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22363592

What you do not realize is that massive quantities of "good bacteria" are required to make a real difference and reset gut flora. Meaning, orders of magnitude more than what you can get from yogurt or sauerkraut.

Yes, VSL3 is not cheap but someone who suffers from a serious GI problem (such as the poster I'm recommending it to) can get it prescribed by a GI doc and pay only a fraction of the price.

Quote: (11-28-2013 08:32 PM)n0000 Wrote:  

Please take your extremely expensive 4 hour work week inspired probiotic to some other forum. I have seen you trying to sell this stuff in several different posts. You can make a liter of sauerkraut for about $US 1.50( Fermented Foods Thread) or you can buy Stonyfield yogurt that has 6 different live cultures in it for about $US 3.50. Your product costs $US 86 for 30 pills and there is no evidence to suggest that these inexpensive, traditional alternatives are any less efficacious.

Quote: (11-28-2013 07:49 PM)The Lizard of Oz Wrote:  

VSL3

Summary:

How does VSL#3 work?

Further reading:

same old shit, sixes and sevens Shaft...

Colon Cancer Prevention

50% raw diet.

Eat a big bowl of black grapes that always clears me out nice.

Beans as well.

Avoid improper food combinations. The worst being red meat paired with white flour. Like the American staple cheeseburger.

Colon Cancer Prevention

Going in for my first colonoscopy in two days. My father-in-law just died at 74 from colon cancer -- this dude was a fit, trim, clean-living guy who took every recommended preventative measure except....getting a colonoscopy.

He was not my blood relative, so I'm not worried about a genetic predisposition, but I just turned 50 so I'm getting it done as soon as insurance fully covers it as a preventative procedure.

Tomorrow I have to drink the SuPrep "bowel preparation" drink. Basically, colon blow. Tips I've read include:

Get the earliest possible morning appointment
Cool the SuPrep in the fridge
Drink it with a straw
Replace paper TP with moisturized wipes
Enjoy the Propofol sedation experience

Anybody have anything to add?

I used to be the kind of guy who doesn't go to the doc for anything until I felt symptoms. "Checkups are for pussies" attitude. But I've seen the devastation of colon cancer first hand, and it is not pretty.

Get it done older guys.

Colon Cancer Prevention

Avoid fiberous foods, pretty much all vegetables and fruits starting now. Makes it harder to pass out the food when the laxative hits.

Bone broths and yellow jellow will be you friend until than.

Colon Cancer Prevention

Quote: (11-17-2013 02:55 PM)JimNortonFan Wrote:  

I'm eating lots of meat and am worried about colon cancer.

I sometimes juice a ginger root and add it to apple juice and drink it.

Any ideas on easy ways to get lots of soluble fiber? I get insoluble fiber from psyllium.

Fun fact: Soluble fiber is fermented by gut bacteria and the SCT's produced feed the colon cells, preventing cancer.

I was going to suggest psyllium as a good insoluble fiber source. So long as your pooping healthy turds you should be alright.

Good sources of soluble fibers would be prunes, dates, oats, veggies. Lots of good suggestions over there.

An often over looked aspect of colon cancer is family history. Do you have a family history of colon cancer occuring?

Colon Cancer Prevention

If you're worried about colon cancer, you should be screened for Low T. Men with low testosterone also tend to have low DHT, which is a leading indicator of potential colon cancer in the future. Get a full hormonal panel done and read up on recent research regarding the links between high-T and lower risk of colon cancer.

John Michael Kane's Datasheets: Master The Credit Game: Save & Make Money By Being Credit Savvy
Boycott these companies that hate men: King's Wiki Boycott List

Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value. -Albert Einstein