rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

What the Hell Happened to Mike Myers?

Today, at work, I was discussing the strange career of Mike Myers. It seems odd that somebody with so much talent and so many hits should have largely disappeared over the past few years.

Anyway - I have a good handle on the situation after reading a brilliant analysis of Myers' career (and all the enemies he has made). I thought it was so good that it was worth sharing here for anybody else who is wondering - What the Hell Happened to Mike Myers???

http://lebeauleblog.com/2012/10/03/what-...ike-myers/

I think after Halloween he takes a break for the other 11 months and I think he was killed in the last movie

Oh wait... Wrong Michael Myers

I saw an interview with him after the Austin Powers movies became huge. They asked him about money and he said he could buy "anything [he] could see." with the implication that money wasn't everything to him.

I think he's doing whatever the fuck he wants with big money. That may not include being at the center of media attention.

sometimes people forget,

a job is usually a means to an end - the end being to get money.

In Myers case - his job - acting, is a means to an end. To get paid and have enough money to do what he truly enjoys doing. That thing, whatever it is may or may not be acting. I suspect it is not.

So, he probably livling large, living off the interest on the interest of his Austin Powers residuals...

probably banging hot broads, eating, drinking, smoking, snorting , to his hearts delight.....

he has acheived his end. MONEY and great wealth.

That is a good way of looking at it. But it is interesting that 99% of successful people don't cash in their chips, and take it easy when they hit the big time.

That is what I would probably do.

Still - the article I linked to is an interesting overview of the successes Mike Myers has had. Along with a look at the people he has pissed off along the way.

I've sorta changed my tune on Myers over the years. The cast during his tenure on SNL is still the best they've ever had and I liked a lot of the recurring characters he had. But after catching the last 20 min of the Love Guru on TV this weekend, it made me realize that 1) a lot of his schtick has not aged well and 2) half of his movies are sequels.

For as much crap as a guy like Adam Sandler gets for his films (and deservedly so) Myers, when you stop and think, isn't much better and doesn't get near the amount of hate.

He could probably still pump out similar movies now if he wanted too but it's not that surprising that he's gone away.

He struck gold with the Austin Powers Movies made that one movie Love Guru which sucked and bowed out with his millions. He's not like Sandler who puts out crap movie after crap movie in the name of money (More power to him as people line up to see the shit).

Reppin the Jersey Shore.

say him on the street once, he looked all hyper and in a rush with beedy eyes.

Sounds like Myers was a bit of a baby half the time if he didn't get his way. Agreed that Austin Powers is classic.
Not to de-rail this thread, but the article on Val Kilmer linked to this site is interesting too.

'Logic Over Emotion Since 2013'

Love Guru derailed his career.

Really, when you think about it, comedians tend to age out of fame.

Young people make up the biggest audience for comedies, and they're just not going to turn out for older comedians by and large.

Think about comedians who have aged out of the public eye. Steve Martin. Eddie Murphy. Billy Crystal.

Jerry Seinfeld fell off the map after his show ended, despite the fact that at the time he was the most recognizable comic in America.

Some comedians continue to act in major films, but no longer as much as real comic draws - people like Bill Murray and Robin Williams.

I would guess that guys like Sandler and Ferrel are pretty much at the end of their ropes. Their audiences are aging right alongside with them.

Quote: (11-11-2013 10:29 PM)Frontenac Wrote:  

Not to de-rail this thread, but the article on Val Kilmer linked to this site is interesting too.

The Iceman...

[Image: fat-val-kilmer.jpg?w=604]

I'm so glad I have a high metabolism even in my 40's...

Leave Val Kilmer Alone!

Motherfucker was Ice cold. Pretty good Batman too. Yes i LOVED that movie when i was a kid.

Val Kilmer was also good in 'The Saint'

A sphincter says what?

Can't believe no one mentioned Shrek.

Didn't even have to act in the traditional sense and grossed more with this one movie than the entire Austin Powers trilogy.

Love Guru was pretty painful. He's probably just finding a hard time finding a character he can get into that isn't going to tank. Last I heard, Austin Powers 4 was being discussed.

"Despite their numbers, their pussyness means I was barely hurt. 2 black eyes and a cut nose, no big deal. I could sense the fear in them so as they were walking I chased them down and told them to "go home". They all left like little girls." - Revelations 21:4

Same thing could be said for Chris Tucker.

Our New Blog:

http://www.repstylez.com

Quote: (11-12-2013 11:30 AM)rudebwoy Wrote:  

Same thing could be said for Chris Tucker.

he was good in silver linings playbook, would love to see him comeback with some range, I think thats what he is trying to do.

[Image: 2eye72b.jpg]

hanging out at Anfield over the weekend

Don't forget to check out my latest post on Return of Kings - 6 Things Indian Guys Need To Understand About Game

Desi Casanova
The 3 Bromigos

Myers and Jim Carrey are both from suburban toronto area, growing up at around the same time they have both faded out about the same. Its just not the personality of 80s suburban white males from southern ontario to persist in this day and age.

Why do the heathen rage and the people imagine a vain thing? Psalm 2:1 KJV

Quote: (11-12-2013 02:32 PM)wiscanada Wrote:  

Myers and Jim Carrey are both from suburban toronto area, growing up at around the same time they have both faded out about the same. Its just not the personality of 80s suburban white males from southern ontario to persist in this day and age.

Except for Michael Cera these days who is more of a situational comedic actor opposed to a full-fledged one.

I've seen interview of Mike Myers and he seems a bit effeminate and/or gay.

He also is, apparantly, an insufferable diva and people hate working with him, so maybe he got shooed out of the bussiness by being too intolerable?

At least that's what the internet told me when I went looking into this question a few years ago.

I do miss him and especially the Austin Powers series, hope they make a part 4.

Quote: (03-27-2015 06:41 AM)dtpilgrim Wrote:  

At least that's what the internet told me...

Classic.