rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Joint Effusions

Joint Effusions

Hey guys, i've been researching a bit but i need some suggestions.

Today i was dead lifting about 230 lbs. I was doing well until rigt as I was finishing I felt a "pop" in my right leg on the last rep. It didn't hurt at all. I unracked my hex and went to the showers. I felt alright and had that post workout burn feeling.

Well as the day developed , my kneecap on my right knee felt odd. It feels lighter and more maluable than my left leg. I think this is a joint effusion.

Now i've been doing some reading and I can't seem to find any reliable information on this. Most advice stems from relax to go visit the doctor. I can still walk and it just feels funny. No pain.

Should i let it go and see what happens or is this cause for concern?

Joint Effusions

It's hard to say with examining the knee or at least seeing a photo.

But if there's no pain, and you can walk fine (the knee doesn't feel wobbly) then you probably don't need to see a doctor.

It sounds like you partially tore something, but minor painless ligament/meniscal tears usually heal by themselves with rest. Going to a doctor puts you at risk of being overtreated, since few doctors respect the healing power of time.

If you do a lot of walking or manual labour at work, then go see a doctor to get a sick note for 3 - 5 days, because you'll make your knee worse if you force it to work through an injury. If there's pain or a lot of swelling you can even accept some treatment, a short course of anti-inflammatories often helps.

Otherwise if you work at a desk job, just get another chair or box, rest your leg on it and keep your leg elevated as much as possible.

You can wrap the knee to squeeze out the effusion as well, as well as give extra mechanical support.

Don't do any exercise that requires strain on the knees for 7 days, possibly up to 14 days depending on whether you feel fully recovered.

When you go back to deadlifting, consider deloading and triple-checking your form before going back to the weight that injured you. Knee injuries might mean that somehow the form is off.

Joint Effusions

Absolutely get it checked.

Nothing should pop when you're working out. Especially if it's your knees. You only get a pair, so take care of them.

Also, are you doing straight-legged deadlifts or are your knees bent? I'm thinking hyperextension if you're doing straight-legged.

Joint Effusions

Bent legged deadlifts are my style.

Appreciate the advice, however today the watery feeling is almost gone. I'll give it some rest and avoid any leg work outs for a week.

Joint Effusions

Get that checked out for sure.

Your knees should be a huge priority. Imagine being unable to walk because of pain...