rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

A killer reading list

A killer reading list

This is a reading list from a new blog on personal development, human psychology, knowledge etc. There are many blogs in this space but this one is high quality.
Really good reading list in terms of breath of types of books, quality of authors and content.
http://www.farnamstreetblog.com/reading/

A killer reading list

Damn, that dude reads a lot.

Some of those look pretty interesting, I'll have to read them in the near future.

For other reading lists I'd suggest: http://www.artofmanliness.com/2008/05/14...s-library/

and of course the one and only great books for men lozlzozlzlzlzozzlzlzlzl

http://greatbooksformen.wordpress.com/20...-wringing/

I just started the GBFM list today.

A killer reading list

Thanks i really dig the Art of Manliness' list. I want particularly read the books by Oscar Wilde (it will be my first time reading him) and Ernest Hemingway. Dharma Bums was at the top of my list of novels. I've read some of the others in high school but I've been meaning to revisit Lord of the Flies. I think I read that one in junior high- ages ago!

Quote: (11-03-2013 08:12 PM)WesternCancer Wrote:  

Damn, that dude reads a lot.

Some of those look pretty interesting, I'll have to read them in the near future.

For other reading lists I'd suggest: http://www.artofmanliness.com/2008/05/14...s-library/

and of course the one and only great books for men lozlzozlzlzlzozzlzlzlzl

http://greatbooksformen.wordpress.com/20...-wringing/

I just started the GBFM list today.

A killer reading list

The best book list I've seen is historian Will Durant's "100 Best Books For An Education." You won't read all of them, of course, but even if you can knock out a few of these, you'll be doing well:

http://www.listsofbests.com/list/52411-w...-education

A killer reading list

this is repost from this thread which has a lot of good books mentioned: http://www.rooshvforum.network/thread-26713.html

In Game:
Nancy Friday - My Secret Garden, this book really helped me understand how fucked up female fantasies can be. It's rather an eye opening book.

Art of Seduction - Robert Greene - if you like history, it's an interesting book. I think R.Green spends too much time circle jerking in his book, but decent read.

The Fine Art of Erotic Talk - can't recall the author. It's good for beginner, i found it to be too bland.

The Selfish Gene - Richard Dawkins. It's not for everyone. After reading this book I was paranoid that all my girlfriends were fucking on the side. But it truly puts Alpha male Beta provider male into perspective. I like Dawkins.

Comedy Writing Secrets - Helitzer - that book just helped me be more funny with girls. While reading you'll start analyzing jokes. Then it goes away. It literally changed my social life. I started getting "you're so funny" remarks not only from women but from guy friends too. Everyone loves laughter.

In Psychology:
Sway - Ori Brafman - an interesting outlook why people act irrationally. It allowed me to understand women better.

Just about any book by Malcolm Gladwell - Tipping Point, Outliers, etc. He's an exceptional writer.

Psycho-Cybernetics - various authors, but original concept is fascinating.

Virus of the Mind - Richard Brodie - fucking amazing book that explains why shit goes viral. LITERALLY way before Internet existed the way we know it. I am actually about to re-read this book. Also talks about "memes". No, not the Advice Animals or Awkward Penguin ones.

What Makes Your Brain Happy and Why You Should Do The Opposite - DiSalvo - this book opened my eyes to why we do shit we do. It's an interesting and easy read.

and finally,

You are not So Smart - David McRaney - this book is not only entertaining but also gives you a lot of interesting psychological mind-fucks media and society uses on you (maybe not on purpose). This book explains social tricks and a lot of misguided concepts you see on TV. After reading this book, I felt a little bit shaken.

In Business:
Lean Startup - Eric Ries, exceptional outlook on entrepreneurship. Addresses "paralysis by analysis" issue with most startups. If you're into running your own business, it's a must.

Power - Jeffrey Pfeffer - this book is fundamental for anyone trying to achieve success in business. It breaks down principles on how to become more influential. Good read.

In Life:
Tao Te Ching - just read it. It's not long and it's a perspective on life. Also if you liked Eckhart Tolle books, that's along the same path.

7 Habbits of Highly Effective People - Stephen Covey - self explanatory.

Brave New World - Huxley - it's a sci-fi book that's becoming very close to reality in modern days.

Whatever your patience can stomach by Ayn Rand. She's not an easy read, but start with Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged. I will see you next year. It is that fucking long.

The Elements of Style - William Shrunk - most of us cannot write for shit. See?

Poking the Box - somewhat motivational.

Power of Habit - Duhigg- I CANNOT STRESS THIS BOOK ENOUGH.

I'm in Kharkiv, UA through summer 2014. If you want to wing, PM me. I speak fluent English and Russian.

A killer reading list

Good list my man. I've read a few of those and I've read reviews on others.

Also a huge fan of Dawkins... Agree that Power of Habit is great but there are a lot of bloggers in the personal development space that have produced concise and more practical articles on habit-breaking/building... Gladwell is great- I've read Blink and I read his articles in the New Yorker...

Lean Startup is on the list, as well as Secret Garden. Thanks for the Comedy Writing book, Ive never heard of that one but I need it [Image: smile.gif]

Quote: (11-04-2013 07:29 AM)TrueStory Wrote:  

this is repost from this thread which has a lot of good books mentioned: http://www.rooshvforum.network/thread-26713.html

In Game:
Nancy Friday - My Secret Garden, this book really helped me understand how fucked up female fantasies can be. It's rather an eye opening book.

Art of Seduction - Robert Greene - if you like history, it's an interesting book. I think R.Green spends too much time circle jerking in his book, but decent read.

The Fine Art of Erotic Talk - can't recall the author. It's good for beginner, i found it to be too bland.

The Selfish Gene - Richard Dawkins. It's not for everyone. After reading this book I was paranoid that all my girlfriends were fucking on the side. But it truly puts Alpha male Beta provider male into perspective. I like Dawkins.

Comedy Writing Secrets - Helitzer - that book just helped me be more funny with girls. While reading you'll start analyzing jokes. Then it goes away. It literally changed my social life. I started getting "you're so funny" remarks not only from women but from guy friends too. Everyone loves laughter.

In Psychology:
Sway - Ori Brafman - an interesting outlook why people act irrationally. It allowed me to understand women better.

Just about any book by Malcolm Gladwell - Tipping Point, Outliers, etc. He's an exceptional writer.

Psycho-Cybernetics - various authors, but original concept is fascinating.

Virus of the Mind - Richard Brodie - fucking amazing book that explains why shit goes viral. LITERALLY way before Internet existed the way we know it. I am actually about to re-read this book. Also talks about "memes". No, not the Advice Animals or Awkward Penguin ones.

What Makes Your Brain Happy and Why You Should Do The Opposite - DiSalvo - this book opened my eyes to why we do shit we do. It's an interesting and easy read.

and finally,

You are not So Smart - David McRaney - this book is not only entertaining but also gives you a lot of interesting psychological mind-fucks media and society uses on you (maybe not on purpose). This book explains social tricks and a lot of misguided concepts you see on TV. After reading this book, I felt a little bit shaken.

In Business:
Lean Startup - Eric Ries, exceptional outlook on entrepreneurship. Addresses "paralysis by analysis" issue with most startups. If you're into running your own business, it's a must.

Power - Jeffrey Pfeffer - this book is fundamental for anyone trying to achieve success in business. It breaks down principles on how to become more influential. Good read.

In Life:
Tao Te Ching - just read it. It's not long and it's a perspective on life. Also if you liked Eckhart Tolle books, that's along the same path.

7 Habbits of Highly Effective People - Stephen Covey - self explanatory.

Brave New World - Huxley - it's a sci-fi book that's becoming very close to reality in modern days.

Whatever your patience can stomach by Ayn Rand. She's not an easy read, but start with Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged. I will see you next year. It is that fucking long.

The Elements of Style - William Shrunk - most of us cannot write for shit. See?

Poking the Box - somewhat motivational.

Power of Habit - Duhigg- I CANNOT STRESS THIS BOOK ENOUGH.

A killer reading list

Quote: (11-03-2013 11:07 PM)Quintus Curtius Wrote:  

The best book list I've seen is historian Will Durant's "100 Best Books For An Education." You won't read all of them, of course, but even if you can knock out a few of these, you'll be doing well:

I started reading Will Durant's Story of Civilization. It's 11 volumes:

1.1 I. Our Oriental Heritage (1935)
1.2 II. The Life of Greece (1939)
1.3 III. Caesar and Christ (1944)
1.4 IV. The Age of Faith (1950)
1.5 V. The Renaissance (1953)
1.6 VI. The Reformation (1957)
1.7 VII. The Age of Reason Begins (1961)
1.8 VIII. The Age of Louis XIV (1963)
1.9 IX. The Age of Voltaire (1965)
1.10 X. Rousseau and Revolution (1967)
1.11 XI. The Age of Napoleon (1975)

I got through The Age of Faith, and I need to continue. Really amazing reads. Western history is damn interesting. Durant recounts it beautifully. There are a lot of common threads that run through. I wish I remembered what I read more now. Definitely recommend this. Especially "The Life of Greece" and "Cesar and Christ." I could see how the Greeks of the classical times viewed the world, and its surprisingly similar to many of us. The story of the Roman empire - we forget but it lasted until the 1400s (Constantinople) - it is as compelling as any fiction ever written. These books should be a part of everyone's reading list, if only we had more time.

A killer reading list

Quote: (11-04-2013 11:12 PM)poutsara Wrote:  

Quote: (11-03-2013 11:07 PM)Quintus Curtius Wrote:  

I started reading Will Durant's Story of Civilization. It's 11 volumes:

1.1 I. Our Oriental Heritage (1935)
1.2 II. The Life of Greece (1939)
1.3 III. Caesar and Christ (1944)
1.4 IV. The Age of Faith (1950)
1.5 V. The Renaissance (1953)
1.6 VI. The Reformation (1957)
1.7 VII. The Age of Reason Begins (1961)
1.8 VIII. The Age of Louis XIV (1963)
1.9 IX. The Age of Voltaire (1965)
1.10 X. Rousseau and Revolution (1967)
1.11 XI. The Age of Napoleon (1975)

I got through The Age of Faith, and I need to continue. Really amazing reads. Western history is damn interesting. Durant recounts it beautifully. There are a lot of common threads that run through. I wish I remembered what I read more now. Definitely recommend this. Especially "The Life of Greece" and "Cesar and Christ." I could see how the Greeks of the classical times viewed the world, and its surprisingly similar to many of us. The story of the Roman empire - we forget but it lasted until the 1400s (Constantinople) - it is as compelling as any fiction ever written. These books should be a part of everyone's reading list, if only we had more time.

________

Congratulations, Poutsara. You have chosen the best American historian, in my opinion. I can't tell you how much I love Durant. He mixes history with philosophy and a real human understanding that no one else has.
I'd rep you just for that, but I'm out of points for today and will do it tomorrow!

QC

A killer reading list

delete

valhalla

A killer reading list

Quote: (11-04-2013 09:58 PM)Eros International Wrote:  

Agree that Power of Habit is great but there are a lot of bloggers in the personal development space that have produced concise and more practical articles on habit-breaking/building

Do you have links to these bloggers or articles?

A killer reading list

What a list, thanks a lot for sharing.

A killer reading list

Quote: (11-04-2013 11:56 PM)Quintus Curtius Wrote:  

Congratulations, Poutsara. You have chosen the best American historian, in my opinion. I can't tell you how much I love Durant. He mixes history with philosophy and a real human understanding that no one else has.
I'd rep you just for that, but I'm out of points for today and will do it tomorrow!

QC

Thank you Quintus. Absolutely agree with you about Durant.

A killer reading list

I was looking for this thread, too bad that page stopped updating new books.