rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Who Is 100% Satsified With Where They Live (or Close Enough)?

Are you 100% happy about where you live and have little to no desire to move somewhere else? If so, where do you live and what are the different things you like so much about it? And how long have you lived there?

The location can be somewhere new abroad or home, wherever that is - hence lifestyle instead of travel.

Beyond All Seas

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe.
To be your own man is a hard business. If you try it, you'll be lonely often, and sometimes
frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." - Kipling

ME

I live in Dominican Republic.

Why i love this place so much:

Bad bitches everywhere, the hottest women in the world in my opinion and they are really easy to bang. This is just the perfect combination.

Great weather, nice music, people are extremely friendly, its safe, they are the best draughts (checkers) players i have ever met and i love this game (I used to think i was the best player in the world till i came here, these guys are really good at playing draughts) it's affordable, close to many other interesting destinations, it's the best place in the world to live. I have been travelling here back and fourth since 2010, looking to settle down here for good this time (I will be travelling to other places while I am living here but I want this to be my home place).

The longer I stay somewhere, the less satisfied I become.

Itching to get out of BKK, though I imagine I will always come back.

I think if you stay in any one place for too long, it becomes boring and routine. You have to mix it up.

That is why I think having two "home bases" in two completely different countries and cultures is the way to go.

I.E. half of the year in Bangkok, stop off back home in Cali for a month, then hit Lima/Rio/DR/wherever for 6 months. Once I start to get a bit complacent there, rinse and repeat.

That way you have a solid social circle in each location, but don't stay long enough to get burned out.

Quote: (10-07-2013 10:52 AM)RioNomad Wrote:  

The longer I stay somewhere, the less satisfied I become.

Itching to get out of BKK, though I imagine I will always come back.

I think if you stay in any one place for too long, it becomes boring and routine. You have to mix it up.

That is why I think having two "home bases" in two completely different countries and cultures is the way to go.

Can we participate in the thread if we are going with the "Two Cities Theory"?

I don't think that anyone could ever be 100% satisfied where they love as you'll always find something to bitch about wherever you are. For a few years I was wanting to set up shop abroad, so I spent a few months in a few different countries but I'm beginning to realize that I'm pretty damn happy in Canada. Sure its boring, stable, cold as fuck in winter and we pay too much for smokes and booze but I like Canada and will likely stay here all of my life, with trips to warm countries every year. I like the fact that I'm pretty much guaranteed to have a good job for the next 30 years or so and will likely be able to retire in a tropical country if I want, it probably helps that I'm into all of the quintessential Canadian things: hunting, fishing, hockey, ATVing, smoking dope, etc.

I like traveling to 3rd world shit holes as much as the next guy but sometimes I see shit that I don't like. In the Philippines you'll see people walking around with huge tumors on their faces or 3 generations of one family sleeping on a card board box on the streets. In Colombia you can't walk down the street talking on an Iphone because it may get jacked, you can't hail a taxi in the street because you may get taken on a "millionaire tour". These governments don't do much for their people and are often corrupt as hell, there's not too much that their citizens can do about it either. That's the biggest downside to living/traveling in the 3rd world, for me anyway.

As much as I bitch about paying high taxes in Canada, I'd rather pay them than see my countrymen suffer the way people do in the 3rd world.

BeyondBorders, I don't think 100% satisfaction is a feasible state for an intelligent man. You will always find yourself glancing over the horizon looking for something better....

That said, Budapest ticks most of the boxes for me. 1.) Beautiful big city with a lot to do, 2.) Pretty women, 3.) An interesting and stimulating culture 4.) Great location for traveling, 5.) Cheap as fuck.

The only area it falls short perhaps is the weather. But I get bored on a beach after a few weeks and the winter here isn't too bad.

Quote: (10-07-2013 10:54 AM)thegmanifesto Wrote:  

Can we participate in the thread if we are going with the "Two Cities Theory"?

Of course.

Quote: (10-07-2013 11:06 AM)Magyarphile Wrote:  

BeyondBorders, I don't think 100% satisfaction is a feasible state for an intelligent man. You will always find yourself glancing over the horizon looking for something better....

That said, Budapest ticks most of the boxes for me. 1.) Beautiful big city with a lot to do, 2.) Pretty women, 3.) An interesting and stimulating culture 4.) Great location for traveling, 5.) Cheap as fuck.

The only area it falls short perhaps is the weather. But I get bored on a beach after a few weeks and the winter here isn't too bad.

Yeah, maybe 100% was pushing it - that's why I added "or close enough." Let's not get caught up in semantics though. It's true the grass is usually greener, but there are men in the world who actually do learn to overcome that human tendency, and there are a lot of people out there who are extremely happy with where they live and have no desire to move elsewhere. I imagine Giovonny is one of them. [Image: biggrin.gif]

Don't forget that there are a lot of people in America who find it hard to wrap their heads around why we live the way that we do. If you're into location independence, it just seems like common sense that everybody would want it, but many have zero desire at all. Some find it really strange.

Beyond All Seas

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe.
To be your own man is a hard business. If you try it, you'll be lonely often, and sometimes
frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." - Kipling

I haven't set up shop abroad for months at a time, but when I do travel, usually for a week or 2, I am always happy to come back home to NYC.

There's something about New York City that just feels limitless. There are an endless number of things to do in the city, so many different bars, clubs, lounges to explore....so many places I want to return to, and loads of places I haven't hit up yet but hear are fun.

The food is incredible, and there are so many cool neighborhoods to visit - easy to visit other neighborhoods too and check out different cultures, neighborhoods in Brooklyn etc. that were shitty but are now getting becoming a hot spot to live.

...And I can't leave out the girls. There are a plethora of beautiful girls from all over the world in New York. It's never really that hard to get laid if you're putting in work.

Looking forward to gaming foreign bitches in Central Park when I return home for Thanksgiving Break.

I miss being in Brazil.

Moved to Canada as a kid and spent most of my young life here. I'm happy to be here, but I miss being in my home country as well. Oftentimes I will listen to music or watch soccer games online to feel 'at home'.

Despite that, I want to live abroad in other areas as well. Certain places in Western, Eastern Europe, parts of Asia, specific places in the States, and other countries in Latin America.

I feel like I will always have two homes. One in the country I was born in and still am connected to, and another in the country I grew up in and is helping to shape who I am.

Quote: (10-07-2013 11:39 AM)Beyond Borders Wrote:  

Yeah, maybe 100% was pushing it - that's why I added "or close enough." Let's not get caught up in semantics though. It's true the grass is usually greener, but there are men in the world who actually do learn to overcome that human tendency, and there are a lot of people out there who are extremely happy with where they live and have no desire to move elsewhere. I imagine Giovonny is one of them. [Image: biggrin.gif]

Don't forget that there are a lot of people in America who find it hard to wrap their heads around why we live the way that we do. If you're into location independence, it just seems like common sense that everybody would want it, but many have zero desire at all. Some find it really strange.

My point was I wouldn't even find such a state desirable. It would mean I have grown old, complacent or both. [Image: biggrin.gif] The vast majority of Americans are 100% satisfied with where they live, most have never been issued a passport. Lo and behold, they tend to be morons, a sizable percentage would laugh if I told them there was a country called Hungary. What is the old saying, ignorance is bliss. I think if you live location independent or spend a lot of time abroad, there is a certain degree of restlessness that comes as part of the package.

Quote: (10-07-2013 12:28 PM)Magyarphile Wrote:  

Quote: (10-07-2013 11:39 AM)Beyond Borders Wrote:  

My point was I wouldn't even find such a state desirable. It would mean I have grown old, complacent or both. [Image: biggrin.gif] The vast majority of Americans are 100% satisfied with where they live, most have never been issued a passport. Lo and behold, they tend to be morons, a sizable percentage would laugh if I told them there was a country called Hungary. What is the old saying, ignorance is bliss. I think if you live location independent or spend a lot of time abroad, there is a certain degree of restlessness that comes as part of the package.

The secret in life should be to be happy. What is the point of searching for satisfaction throughout your life and never be able to find it?

Note that finding a perfect place to live does not mean that you will find your life to be perfect or that you will feel that there is no room for self improvement. Finding the right city to live is just one (key) aspect to become satisfied with your life. I am happy with where I live but I still want to make more money, keep on working out, reading more, etc

Now I would be depressed if i was to look for the perfect city throughout my life and I wasn't able to find it, I am glad I found that place.

Pitt how are you making $$$$$ in the DR? Did you become a Norwegian citizen for free cash?

Pitt, I sympathize with the notion, I really do. I moved abroad in pursuit of the 'right city' and I think I found it in Budapest. That said, I am almost certain that in a few years, curiosity will get the best of me and I will want to live somewhere else. Some men were meant to be wanderers. In my opinion, happiness is very much an internal process. I could be happy in a little town in the northern Canada, I would just rather be happy somewhere else.

Lets see.

I live in Arizona (USA) in a city 40 miles east of Phoenix. Overall, the place is not bad & the COL is pretty low but I would not recommend living here as a single guy (I can see why there are so many transients here). I'll give you a list of the reasons why:

1. Property & auto theft & vandalism is RAMPANT here. I live in what is considered a safe area of the state but I have had my house & car broken into several times. I even had my house broken into while my neighbors watch & facilitate the whole event. In 99% areas I have lived people would call the cops when they witness a break-in but people really don't give a fuck here. I am strongly considering selling my place because of this.

2. People lack any form of morality here & feel so self-entitled. Crime is treated as normal here. They feel ok with stealing or trashing whatever tangible or intangible object they feel entitled to. There is no concept of personal responsibility & TBH the people are kinda ghetto.

3. You will love it here if you love the outdoors (hiking, camping, etc) but compared to other areas you will run out of things to do quickly.

4. Alcohol & drug abuse is accepted within the 16-40yo age group (this can be good for you only if you are into that kind of thing).

5. The public transportation system sucks & driving is mandatory.

Quote: (10-07-2013 11:01 AM)scotian Wrote:  

I don't think that anyone could ever be 100% satisfied where they love as you'll always find something to bitch about wherever you are. For a few years I was wanting to set up shop abroad, so I spent a few months in a few different countries but I'm beginning to realize that I'm pretty damn happy in Canada. Sure its boring, stable, cold as fuck in winter and we pay too much for smokes and booze but I like Canada and will likely stay here all of my life, with trips to warm countries every year. I like the fact that I'm pretty much guaranteed to have a good job for the next 30 years or so and will likely be able to retire in a tropical country if I want, it probably helps that I'm into all of the quintessential Canadian things: hunting, fishing, hockey, ATVing, smoking dope, etc.

I like traveling to 3rd world shit holes as much as the next guy but sometimes I see shit that I don't like. In the Philippines you'll see people walking around with huge tumors on their faces or 3 generations of one family sleeping on a card board box on the streets. In Colombia you can't walk down the street talking on an Iphone because it may get jacked, you can't hail a taxi in the street because you may get taken on a "millionaire tour". These governments don't do much for their people and are often corrupt as hell, there's not too much that their citizens can do about it either. That's the biggest downside to living/traveling in the 3rd world, for me anyway.

As much as I bitch about paying high taxes in Canada, I'd rather pay them than see my countrymen suffer the way people do in the 3rd world.

I like where I am, southern Appalachia. For a Canadian understanding: its like the politics of Alberta, the people of newfoundland, the mountains of quebec and 3 instead of 4 seasons. Food is awesome, lots of privacy. Cost of living is very low.

Women are genetically irish and scottish with some french and cherokee. Plenty of genetic failures but alot of pretty redheads if thats your thing. I also find they are either thin or immensely fat, not of that flip flops wearing midwestern in between.

Why do the heathen rage and the people imagine a vain thing? Psalm 2:1 KJV

I'd be happier with Minnesota with these improvements ->

1. Cheapen cigarettes to 4.50 or 5.00 per pack instead of this fucking >$8 a pack nonsense. It's New York prices on a "Minne-sorta good time". Nobody cares about the stadium, least of the all the people who are both paying for it and not allowed to smoke in it. I have heard that if you walk outside to light up a smoke and come back in they'll bar your entrance at the gate, citing "third-hand smoke" or some such unbelievable nonsense.

2. Fewer neckbeards, hipsters, and manginas. Lots of "music hipsters" here. I would say moderately even split between traditionalists and feminists as well. Feminism in general is not terribly strong here but a lot of dumb ass girls buy into the least intellectually honest shit like "Women make 70 cents on every male dollar".

3. Not so many fat chicks. Sure, in Minneapolis a chubby chaser might even be a little hard pressed but that's because all the hotties left their small towns to move there (or elsewhere).
The fatties and saddies in small town bars stayed behind, and they are rough on the eyes.

4. Can't buy liquor or beer after 10 PM or on Sundays.

5. For whatever reason somebody in government thought it would be a wise to welcome hundreds of thousands of Somalian immigrants in the 2000s. Nothing wrong with our government proving that "despite being 90 something percent lily white our state is hospitable and we aren't racist" and I can agree that Somalians got a shit deal in their home country but don't go out alone or unarmed at night in any of the bigger cities. We didn't have much of a crime problem before but now the murder rate just keeps going up. That's mostly why Minneapolis = Murderapolis.

Other than that it's a great state to live in. I'm pretty damn happy here.
Pretty hot chicks, people in general are neighborly and peaceable, cost of living is fairly cheap, the great outdoors (land of 10,000+ lakes if anybody is into fishing) and the state economy is decent. Lots of space to think and a great amount of outdoors to romp around in. Our local/state government and senators/representatives/etc are a bunch of poseurs (Michelle Bachmann is a retard and the eternal shame of our state) but at least they balance the budget. The weather often sucks but it's decent man's country.

Quote: (10-07-2013 10:42 AM)pitt Wrote:  

ME

I live in Dominican Republic.

Why i love this place so much:

Bad bitches everywhere, the hottest women in the world in my opinion and they are really easy to bang. This is just the perfect combination.

Great weather, nice music, people are extremely friendly, its safe, they are the best draughts (checkers) players i have ever met and i love this game (I used to think i was the best player in the world till i came here, these guys are really good at playing draughts) it's affordable, close to many other interesting destinations, it's the best place in the world to live. I have been travelling here back and fourth since 2010, looking to settle down here for good this time (I will be travelling to other places while I am living here but I want this to be my home place).

DR so far is a great great place to visit / live. However I have a few comments:

1. Safety. It's not particularly safe. My understanding is the murder rate is about 5 times the US. Foreigners are targeted for some pretty gruesome attacks. For example, I visited san francisco de marcoris with the thought to possibly move there. Until I saw in "dominican watchdog" website that a dutch old woman was macheted there recently. It seems if one sticks to known tourist towns and uses common sense you would most likely be okay. It does feel pretty safe most of the time, as in you expect all these hustlers to be robbing you as they would in detroit but it doesn't happen so much.

2. Friendliness. Overall pretty friendly. As a very white looking dude I get hassled a lot for money or moto rides or drugs, etc.. Locals often say shit in slang spanish behind my back as I walk away. That sort of shit, along with all the random obnoxious stupid shit people do on motos and shouting, gets on my NERVES and could cause me to leave.

This is the sort of place where you have to kindof take it all together: the bad moto driving, playing the same marc anthony song over and over, and some crime risk. But along with it does go super fly girls generally with brains of turnips (ie easy to game), a fun party atmosphere, and cheap enough lifestyle.

Just go to a colmada and forget about it all. I can't wait to go back to the DR.

EDIT: BB you strike me as the type of guy that would be happy anywhere as long as the cash flow was right.

I live in Miami. If I have to live in the U.S., this city is hands down 100% perfect for me.

This place is really the least "American" type of city in the U.S.

Being a white guy actually makes me the exotic one here and there are just so many fine girls it never gets old. If I didn't have to work, I'd just hunt and fuck all year round.

If I could retire tomorrow, and leave the U.S., I'd buy a crib in coastal Brazil, and just fuck Brazilian babes till it got boring (probably never would get tired of that though).

I have been living in the DR since 2006 and love it. Sexy women, great weather, people are cool they like to drink, listen to music and enjoy life, cheap cost of living, Big enough island that you don't get bored it has big cities, beaches, mountians, rivers etc.

Having said all that.... NO place is perfect, not even close. DR is close enough to perfection for some people, I imagine. I am just not sure if I am one of those people. But, hey, 6.5 months and I'm still here...

Disclaimer: I am not a drinker. I'm not AA or anything, but I seldom drink. It's definitely a large proportion of the culture here, both local and foreign. Though they don't drink like Russia or Ireland (from what I hear). Maybe cause they can't afford the cost of alcohol...

What a waste, I still can't find anything as cold as they keep those Presidentes....

Quote: (10-07-2013 07:54 PM)kavakid Wrote:  

Having said all that.... NO place is perfect, not even close. DR is close enough to perfection for some people, I imagine. I am just not sure if I am one of those people. But, hey, 6.5 months and I'm still here...

Disclaimer: I am not a drinker. I'm not AA or anything, but I seldom drink. It's definitely a large proportion of the culture here, both local and foreign. Though they don't drink like Russia or Ireland (from what I hear). Maybe cause they can't afford the cost of alcohol...

Quote: (10-07-2013 07:54 PM)kavakid Wrote:  

Having said all that.... NO place is perfect, not even close.

I disagree.

DR is perfect.

Quote: (10-07-2013 02:00 PM)wiscanada Wrote:  

I like where I am, southern Appalachia. For a Canadian understanding: its like the politics of Alberta, the people of newfoundland, the mountains of quebec and 3 instead of 4 seasons. Food is awesome, lots of privacy. Cost of living is very low.

Women are genetically irish and scottish with some french and cherokee. Plenty of genetic failures but alot of pretty redheads if thats your thing. I also find they are either thin or immensely fat, not of that flip flops wearing midwestern in between.

we cann hazzz data shete ???

Summer - provicial Siberia and Kiev

Winter - Sao Paulo and Bali