rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Hello Ladies (HBO)

Hello Ladies (HBO)

HBO has a new show coming out about a really tall awkward dorky English guy as he tries to navigate the "pick up" and "dating scene", I guess you could say it's loosely about "game."

I'm sure this will get mixed reaction on here, with a lot of guys saying the lead character is "beta" or "blue pill" or whatever. Personally, I think it looks pretty funny and may have a lot of potential. Although I'm not a uber nerd, nor am I ridiculously tall string bean, I can already feel like I relate to the main character in some odd way, if for no other reason, than I've bombed numerous times with hot women, and know the trials and tribulations.

Here are the trailer/teasers I've found online, I'm definitely looking forward to this one.

Hello Ladies (HBO)

Looks okay, but even this guy doesn't give a convincing beta male loser act.

Hello Ladies (HBO)

It's Steve Merchant. He wrote The Office and Extras (and acted in Extras) with Ricky Gervais. Plus, his stand up show that inspired this show (has the same name) was really funny. I'm sure it'll be good.

Edit: After watching the above, I didn't need to mention all that did I!

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. - H L Mencken

Hello Ladies (HBO)

Surprise: Another show/movie/commericial depicting men as wimps who are inept at getting women, while women are in-control and take-charge and too-good-for-him.

Tuthmosis Twitter | IRT Twitter

Hello Ladies (HBO)

Quote: (09-20-2013 11:04 AM)Tuthmosis Wrote:  

Surprise: Another show/movie/commericial depicting men as wimps who are inept at getting women, while women are in-control and take-charge and too-good-for-him.

Shows with nerdy or ugly women who can't land men are never believable though. We all know in real life men are thirsty and all they'd have to do would be sit inside a bar or create a dating profile and they'd be set.

Hello Ladies (HBO)

This is what my sister probably thinks about me when I tell her about my game activities.

Awkardness aside, Merchant is tall, charsimatic, has an unbreakable smile, and is, most importantly, famous.

There's got to be a scene where he breaks down crying or whatever so he can get his Emmy.

It's clear that he's read up on "Game".

The stuff he mentions in the preview is stuff that we've written about here and has been talked about for PUAs for the last ten years.

Example the whole thing about "by yourself" and him saying that hasn't worked for him. I've had that convo several times with people.

I do know guys that keep that shit eating grin even when things are really awkward. It is kind of weird looking. Better to not make any stupid looking faces.

Hello Ladies (HBO)

I'm more excited for this.

Hello Ladies (HBO)

Anybody watching this?

This guy's game is truly awful, and he's not even the worst on the show. I can tolerate some cringe humor, but that's about all this show has so far. The value in the show would be to show gameless dweebs what not to do.

That said, the show does skewer brainless LA girls in the second episode. So it's not all bad.

Hello Ladies (HBO)

Quote: (09-20-2013 05:48 AM)Teedub Wrote:  

It's Steve Merchant. He wrote The Office and Extras (and acted in Extras) with Ricky Gervais. Plus, his stand up show that inspired this show (has the same name) was really funny. I'm sure it'll be good.

Edit: After watching the above, I didn't need to mention all that did I!

yeah, he did do all of that, but I dont think he has the acting chops of Ricky Gervais or Steve Carrell, he just not that funny as an actor

Hello Ladies (HBO)

Quote: (10-08-2013 10:58 PM)Bacchus Wrote:  

Anybody watching this?

This guy's game is truly awful, and he's not even the worst on the show. I can tolerate some cringe humor, but that's about all this show has so far. The value in the show would be to show gameless dweebs what not to do.

That said, the show does skewer brainless LA girls in the second episode. So it's not all bad.

I agree, the show is pretty disappointing, and the guy's game is truly awful like you say. I do like that the friend in the wheel chair ends up pulling in both episodes though.

Hello Ladies (HBO)

I'm really surprised that some of you guys hate on this show.

Didn't any of you have that incredibly super awkward period of game where you did your best to meet women but it just wasn't clicking? Maybe tried a bad Mystery story for the first time, or "flubbed" a routine, or did something else that might be "cringe inducing" to your current self. I sure as fuck did. A lot

I've heard the "I don't have a phone" line. I've been told to fuck off, I've gotten girls drinks "and then one for my friend"x10 and woken up with no chick and a bunch of receipts.

Respect the hustle and respect the struggle

Hello Ladies (HBO)

Quote: (09-20-2013 11:04 AM)Tuthmosis Wrote:  

For the most part men are wimps who are inept at getting women, but rarely are guys actually like this character. The majority of males (at least in my age group) are entirely passive, at least this guy can go up and talk to model girls. I'd bet if you pulled 100 roughly similar looking guys off the street only a handful would be players, Low double digits would have an alright looking girlfriend, some would be completely pathetic losers (eg. basement dwelling brony fucks) and the rest would have absolutely nothing going for them in any lifestyle factor -- no savings, shitty car, shitty clothes, shitty job.

TV is for women and made by gays/manginas/women. It is a projection of (or creates) women's reality.

It is depressing that men grow up/live watching this shit and think thats how the world works and they cant do anything to change it. Sites like this and its many users try to help others/themselves, but many guys don't want to put the work in to be successful at life.

But at the end of the day if your wallet is flush with cash, you're dressing well, have a good body, good social acumen, interesting stories from being well traveled etc. the same women getting emotional highs from watching shit tv will be begging for your dick as you choke, pull hair and smack ass.

Things would still be better though if this kind of shit was off the air.

Hello Ladies (HBO)

I like it, the third ep is the best so far. TV shows generally get off to a stuttery start before settling.

I thought the restaurant scene was really funny, and wouldn't have been out of place in The Office. I know Steve Merchant has read The Game, he mentioned it in the Gervais podcasts, and it shows. He even mentioned "logistics" in todays ep. However, he hasn't read Bang because why oh why didn't he ask to use the bathroom after the successful date?! Ha.

It even had a typical female-to-female neg in there. "Oh wow you look so healthy, have you been lifting weights?" Nothing wrong with women lifting weights per se but the target wasn't exactly amused by the comment!

To be honest, the Merchant character isn't that 'beta' to be honest, just a bit pathetic and prone to error. He's totally committed to approaching, he's confident and is unrealistically unembarrasable. The biggest chump on the show is his chubby mate, who I think probably personifies what women think of when they think of 'nice guys'. Almost irritated me with his behavior. You know, goofing around when in photos with women all the time etc.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. - H L Mencken

Hello Ladies (HBO)

I watched it. It's funny. They are making fun of "pick up".

"hello ladies"

hahahaha!

Hello Ladies (HBO)

Quote: (10-14-2013 07:02 AM)Teedub Wrote:  

I like it, the third ep is the best so far. TV shows generally get off to a stuttery start before settling.

I thought the restaurant scene was really funny, and wouldn't have been out of place in The Office. I know Steve Merchant has read The Game, he mentioned it in the Gervais podcasts, and it shows. He even mentioned "logistics" in todays ep. However, he hasn't read Bang because why oh why didn't he ask to use the bathroom after the successful date?! Ha.

It even had a typical female-to-female neg in there. "Oh wow you look so healthy, have you been lifting weights?" Nothing wrong with women lifting weights per se but the target wasn't exactly amused by the comment!

To be honest, the Merchant character isn't that 'beta' to be honest, just a bit pathetic and prone to error. He's totally committed to approaching, he's confident and is unrealistically unembarrasable. The biggest chump on the show is his chubby mate, who I think probably personifies what women think of when they think of 'nice guys'. Almost irritated me with his behavior. You know, goofing around when in photos with women all the time etc.

Good analysis, I agree the episode 3 was the best yet, and the show does show promise. There was a decent bit of "game" in this past episode, although maybe not good game, LOL. I liked how he was talking to his assistant about text game, a lot of text book stuff that Roosh advises, delay replies, light banter, with logistics.

It was funny how he was tripping out when the chick didn't reply to his texts, I'm way past that point, but I can relate, because there was a time when that shit used to drive me crazy.

Also, there is a lot of subtle social commentary going on, especially with regards to his tenant, a mid 30 something actress, who is in denial about her age, and tried to lie and pretend that she's a decade younger. She's a struggling actress, and her agent basically just treats her like a fuck buddy using her for sex, and while she kind of knows the score, she can't help going back, because he's the most "alpha" guy in her life.

The chubby wade is the quintessential blue pill beta, an out of shape, dork, who works in a cubicle, he has a good heart, but he's a total square. His wife has separated from him and a divorce seems iminent, plus he's got a young child, is a classic beta provider type.

Hilariously, the most alpha guy on the show is the guy in the wheel chair who is more Wade's friend, while Stephen Merchant's character doesn't really like him. THe wheel chair guy (Fergus/?) is a total horn dog, but he knows the game, and how to shmooze over the ladies, and push the right buttons to gain attraction. He pulls in the first two episodes, and even has Stephen Merchant carry him up a flight of stairs to a chicks apartment, by lying to him and claiming his chick was best friends with a woman Merchant has a crush on, and says he'll put in a good word.

The wheel chair friend also has a funny moment from episode 3 where he advises Merchant to send a dick pic, if the girl doesn't respond to his text, it's almost as if the writers have been mining the RVF for material to use on the show!

Hello Ladies (HBO)

Yes.

The producers of that show definitely know about this forum!

Seriously.

We are effecting the culture.

Hello Ladies (HBO)

I'm enjoying the show more but still not completely sold. I think the show is missing out by laying all the blame on Stuart. The bitch is texting her cancerous brother throughout the date, for Christ's sake. But some girls really are texting constantly (and far less innocently) on dates. It's giving a pass to antisocial behavior, but only from girls.

The music's been the best part of the show.

Hello Ladies (HBO)

I watched the first three episodes. It's pretty funny at moments, but I'm not really hooked. Still I think it's pretty funny that Kyle from the goodneighborstuff comedy group finally "broke" into a legit TV show. They have some funny stuff, you might recognize the blonde guy from those commercials too.

Hello Ladies (HBO)

Quote: (10-10-2013 11:29 AM)Kid Strangelove Wrote:  

I'm really surprised that some of you guys hate on this show.

Didn't any of you have that incredibly super awkward period of game where you did your best to meet women but it just wasn't clicking? Maybe tried a bad Mystery story for the first time, or "flubbed" a routine, or did something else that might be "cringe inducing" to your current self. I sure as fuck did. A lot

I've heard the "I don't have a phone" line. I've been told to fuck off, I've gotten girls drinks "and then one for my friend"x10 and woken up with no chick and a bunch of receipts.

Respect the hustle and respect the struggle

I still have cringe worthy moments, but I shrugg them off like dust.

Hello Ladies (HBO)

I am watching it right now and I get it. For the show to have any sort of longevity, he needs to start off with truly cringe worthy game and go down in flames every episode and then he gets better and grows as a character over time. If he suddenly becomes a master pickup artist over night, it won't be believable.

Hello Ladies (HBO)

Steve Merchant has trouble with women in real life. Despite being famous and tall. Hopefully that serves a lesson to height trolls everywhere.

...Although I do agree that 6ft 7 is almost too tall for a bloke.

Hello Ladies (HBO)

Quote: (10-15-2013 03:08 PM)Teedub Wrote:  

Steve Merchant has trouble with women in real life. Despite being famous and tall. Hopefully that serves a lesson to height trolls everywhere.

...Although I do agree that 6ft 7 is almost too tall for a bloke.

Most women say that 6 ft. 2 in to 6 ft 6 in. is their "ideal height" for men. I think 6 ft. 7 in. is starting to push it, where a guy may start to lose attraction, unless the woman is particularly tall herself, for example a 6 ft. female will naturally be more attracted to a 6 ft. 7 in guy, whereas a 5 ft. 2 in. female might feel awkward and or intimidated by a guy that tall.

More than anything Merchant problem is that he's a lanky string bean. Guys that are that tall need muscle. There was a guy who used to work out at my gym who I believe played college b-ball, dude was 6 ft. 7 in., but yoked as shit, and had the body of a NFL linebacker. Women at the gym used to straight stare him down when he was in there.

When you are super tall you need to carry some weight to match that height, otherwise you look goofy as hell, add to that if you have really long arms and legs like Merchant.

In episode 2, they even make fun of Merchant a bit, when they are in the limo and the wheel chair guy Fergus is trying to get some ladies to join them in the limo, he says "were harmless, I'm disabled, and this guy (Merchant) has no upper body strength."

I guarantee you if Merchant gained 30 pounds of solid muscle to compliment his height, the bitches would be jocking it, but he'd still be awkward and nerdy though.

Hello Ladies (HBO)

Good ep last night. Lots of cringe humor, and a bit more character development.

Hello Ladies (HBO)

Quote: (10-21-2013 01:15 PM)Teedub Wrote:  

Good ep last night. Lots of cringe humor, and a bit more character development.

I think the cringe humour is getting a little stale. So far in the first 4 episodes, it's been more of the same. Stuart is a social retard (obviously) and lacks all awareness. They need to start moving his character a little bit toward self-realization about how much of a social retard he is. Obviously, you can't have him becoming good with girls overnight and I think they should show his progression slowly, but they do need to show him realizing that he is doing something wrong in all of these social situations.

Even in yesterday's episode, you didn't feel that he learned a lesson or thought that maybe he needed to learn how to behave in social settings.

Let's see if they can actually show some character development with only 4 episodes left in this season.

I do like Stuart's tenant catty relationship with the other struggling actress. That usually makes for good scenes; maybe I am saying because all of Stuart's scenes are starting to feel repetitive with cringe humour.

Hello Ladies (HBO)

Quote: (10-14-2013 09:52 PM)RandalGraves Wrote:  

Still I think it's pretty funny that Kyle from the goodneighborstuff comedy group finally "broke" into a legit TV show. They have some funny stuff, you might recognize the blonde guy from those commercials too.

Here here, both these guys ended up on SNL and I couldnt have been happier. Kassem should be a talk show host and take the place of Jimmy Fallen.

their all time best
http://www.collegehumor.com/video/6687081/inside-socal