rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Weightloss tips from those who actually lost weight (fast)?

I need to lose close to 20lbs/10kg. I already lost about 3-4 kg from 103-4 to 98-99, but it is going too slow for my liking. To make matters worse I might have a slipped disc (will find out soon with MR scan), so atm I can't lift, which I usually do 3 times a week.

So those of you who actually lost a lot of weight in a quick manner, what did you do?

Cut out carbs......... Google slow carb diet (4 hour body)... South beach diet...

Here's a sure fire thing but pretty boring food: http://www.goodlookingloser.com/2012/05/...pped-2012/

South beach diet is garbage. Carbs do not cause fat.

You want to eat 500 calories less per day. Once you stop seeing consistent results lower your calories a little more. It is unhealthy and makes you lose muscle if you lose more than 5 lbs a month.

Quote: (09-19-2013 06:42 PM)scandibro Wrote:  

I need to lose close to 20lbs/10kg. I already lost about 3-4 kg from 103-4 to 98-99, but it is going too slow for my liking. To make matters worse I might have a slipped disc (will find out soon with MR scan), so atm I can't lift, which I usually do 3 times a week.

So those of you who actually lost a lot of weight in a quick manner, what did you do?
Did HIIT like a madman 3x a week plus bodyweight exercises and ate "healthy." Dropped 20 lbs in a month, 30 lbs over 2 months. This was years ago. I would not recommend that at all.

-Lift weights if possible or try some modified gymnastics movements/ring work/various bodyweight exercise progressions (not just increasing reps). Avoid going to failure, your joints and body will feel much better, you'll have much faster recovery. Faster recovery=training more frequently=better progress (to a point).

-Do some HIIT (don't over do this or you'll end up with a shitty hormonal profile or losing muscle).

-Eat low carb, higher fat and medium protein. Just lookup "paleo" if you follow that, having cut out the processed junk and eating more nutritious and satisfying foods you'll naturally progress toward eating less and not feel deprived along the way.

-Have 3 solid meals in a day 4-6 hours apart, no snacking.

-Most importantly, earn your carbs. This means only have starchy/sugary carbs after a workout.

-Sleep as much/as well as you can.

-Work on managing your stress and being more "present"--this means you have a clear mind, not a thought going through just moving through life if that makes sense.

-Socialize/have sex, take life easy man.

When it comes down to it:

Eat less, exercise more.

Exercise more. Eat less.

Cut out carbs as much as possible. They spike blood sugar, then you feel hungry after the insulin surge.

Change your ideas about food. it's there to fuel your life. It's not a reward and it's not a pleasure to look forward to. It can be pleasurable but the pleasure should be based on knowledge that it's fueling your life, not that it tastes good.

Diets that allow you to eat any amount of a restricted set of foods work best. Calorie counting is pain in the ass.
Low carb is what I did and what I recommend, but vegans lose weight too.

It is all diet. Exercise can build muscle, but it won't really help you lose weight. Don't wait until you can lift again to diet.

I lost 10kg in 10 weeks.

86.9kg - 11 august 2012
76.8kg - 20 october 2012

It would have been almost entirely fat, as my body weight exercise capacity was going up.

To do it, I ate a Keto diet for the entire time (there was one week in early september where I had a few birthday parties where I ate some junk). Try and make it so that 9/10 meals that you eat are proper keto meals, and if you do eat a 'cheat' meal, don't think to yourself "in for a penny, in for a pound" and absolutely gorge yourself on chips or pasta or whatever. Just eat enough to satisfy yourself - one cheat that is reasonable will hardly do your progress any harm, but if you eat a silly amount, you'd be set back by quite a bit.

Free resources on Keto:
http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf
http://josepharcita.blogspot.co.uk/2011/...tosis.html
https://docs.google.com/document/d/12-4O...rm7vfhPr-4

Paid resources on Keto:
http://www.amazon.com/Why-We-Get-Fat-Abo...0307474259 ($10 for kindle book - good if you want/need to know the 'why' of carbs promoting fat gain and a history of weight loss/diet ideology)

You absolutely want to keep a food diary, the self-checking/regulation that comes with a food diary will make you much less likely to cheat.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/ is pretty good and will count marcos for you.

I would have kept going at this (In october 2012) but I got chickenpox and then didn't do much of anything for a few weeks. I kept my weight stable by limiting carbs to ~60 or less per day, and currently I weigh ~75.5 kg, so this type of dietary lifestyle is definitely sustainable long term.

Start eating a lot of fish, seafood, salads, grilled chicken, fruits
Stay away from cheese, bread, fried stuff, sugar
Drink only water, no coke, no beers, nothing else
Start walking everywhere

No liquid calories outside of vegetable juices.

Fresh vegetables and fruits, lots of bulk.

No bread, sparing on potatoes and pasta.

No sweets or chips or crackers.

Want to snack? Handful of good expensive, fat laden nuts. Macadamia, pistachio, cashew, pecan.

Look up PSMF.

Lost 20lbs in two months. Did the diet 40 of the 60 days. You lose ~0.5 a day, so every 12 day stretch Id lose 6 lbs (more counting the temp water weight)

This is from my workout notes on the protein sparing modified fast. Feel free to correct me guys if this information isn't correct.

Quote: hades workout note Wrote:

If you want a serious crash diet, order this shit on amazon --
Spirulina capsules *(basically a superfood full of vitamins)
Fish oil

Get cheap or expensive, it matters but not that much.
Every day eat one pound of ground beef, six capsules of spirulina, one cup of spinach (steamed in a microwave), and three capsules of fish oil (though read the container).

It's basically one or two carbs per day (no problem), and the pound of beef is about 800 calories. Drain the fat off.

Eat that for three weeks or however long you have. You'll be in hard keto by day three or four. If you get bored substitute beef for chicken. Drink lots of ice-cold water, a little coffee or tea, and salt or spice your food.

If you must have more food, butter the spinach (fat will not bring you out of keto, though theoretically you will lose less body fat), or eat more meat.

One pound of fat is roughly 3500 calories so you're going to be burning something like four pounds of fat per week. The fat loss will slow slightly but just like DC wrote above the fat loss is incredible. I wouldn't do this for more than a month unless you're morbidly obese.

I've been doing pretty well on very low carb-- Atkins more or less--, but one thing that may be worrisome is that you want to lose fast. I don't like meat much, and that may be less than ideal but I feel OK.

I think I've read that 90-95% of dieters gain at least some of the weight back, and in the past when I've lost fast I've become stressed out, tense, and fallen off my diet.

For the last three months I've deliberately been losing slowly. I shoot for 1/2 pound per week.

I ride a bike about 30-60 minutes a day, usually pretty slow , whtever I feel like. I lift light weights 1x per week.
Losing weight is my top priority healthwise, not trying to achieve any thing in particular athletic.

If you are going to keep your weight down, why does it have to be lost fast? Are you planning on changing your diet back to whatever caused you to gain the weight? Of course this makes the whole thing pointless.

If you feel and act like an impatient person, that is how people gain weight, isn't it?
You mentioned you may have hurt your back-- perhaps it was congenital, but it raises the idea that maybe you tried
to lift too much too fast.

From a intuitive viewpoint, I don't know if, say, butter is anything like the density of fat in our bodies. But at, say, two pounds a weeks, that would be something like 4 inch cube of mass off your body weekly--if it is, it seems like it would be a lot of stress to the whole system.

I agree with a couple of the ideas above from my experience, and also some Atkins ideas I resisted but seem to work.

My approach

1) Most of your calories must come from fat. It keeps you content and lets your body know it's not going to starve.
I have been successful eating quite a bit of hard cheese as Atkins recommends, and I just got blood fats tested and am ok though near the limit on cholesterol.

2) I limit the variety of things I eat so I pretty much know I'll lose weight almost every day, at least 3/4. If you keep changing things, you don't know how fattening they are and can kid yourself about whether you're eating too much.

I think it helps to pick some things you like and limit your diet.

I daily eat

Main dishes:
1) 3-4 Almond milk and choc MetRX protein shakes with about 25 grams of protein each. (Almond milk is a satisfying low-carb drink)
with only about 35 calories per 8 oz.)
2) 0-1 servings green salad ( not iceberg) with some cheese, garbanzo beans, Itlaian herbs, and/or olive oil.
-and- 1/2 serving cooked green beans or broccoli with curry, 1 Tbsp butter, garbanzo beans, and some olive oil. The fat and curry and veggie fiber make this a really heavy and satisfying dish with a lot of fiber.
3) 1-2 sugar free energy drinks or ice coffee unsweetened.
4) about 6 oz average aged cheddar cheese.

5) 1/2 teaspoon daily of salt ( atkins recommends)
6) 1-2 time per week salmon with grated ginger and lemon.
7) 1-2 bananas or some prunes.
8) Trader Joes "Very Green" powder stuff for trace minerals.
9) 2x weekly a few ounces of almonds or walnuts
10) Multi-vite, fish oil capsules, Vitamin E, Zinc. Vit b-12/folic acid daily.

No alcohol, grains, sugar, milk, fruit juice, sugar soda.

I just got a blood test and everything's cool-- protein, calcium, fats, thyroid, sugar.

Because I like all these things, I feel pretty content-- that's due to having a lot of fat in the diet.
When I tried to cut out a lot of fat, I started feeling panicky and had to eat a lot more often.

I went from 190 to 160 in six months. I actually still ate a shit load of calories (about 3500) but from good sources - meat, veggies, moderate carbs, and lots of fats. Exercise:

I was already doing this
2 days a week of heavy starting strength lifting
3 days a week of Jiu jitsu.

The key thing I added was High Intensity Cardio:
5 min of HIIT twice a week at the end of my weight lifting sessions
Every morning I did three sets of burpees with one min rest in between each set. Started with three sets of 5 and added one rep every day. I got up to three sets of 30 by the time I got my six pack back.

TLDR: DO BURPEES EVERY MORNING!

Quote: (09-19-2013 08:16 PM)Innuendo Wrote:  

Start eating a lot of fish, seafood, salads, grilled chicken, fruits
Stay away from cheese, bread, fried stuff, sugar
Drink only water, no coke, no beers, nothing else
Start walking everywhere

This is all you need.

Of course exercise is needed too, but even if you can't due to some injury, just eat healthy non-processed foods.

Days after you cut out sugar you will see a huge difference.

I lost 5kg (10lbs) in a month a half just by doing this.

I did a water fast. i is when you drink water and eat nothing at all for a period that is longer than 2 weeks (takes that long to actually get in the groove of losing weight that will not come back once you start eating) Dropped 30 lbs in a month and 90 in a year. went from 240-250 to 210, then another stint to 190, then to 170, then to 155 and stabilized to 165 for several years.

I lost 30 lbs ridiculously fast back when I lived in Santa Cruz by doing Tim Ferris' slo-carb diet and riding my bike everywhere.

This thread is pretty relevant here though: The ONLY Muscle Building and Fat Loss (& Game & Life) Advice You'll Ever Need!

Beyond All Seas

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe.
To be your own man is a hard business. If you try it, you'll be lonely often, and sometimes
frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." - Kipling

This thread again?

how to lose weight (both fat and muscle):

- reduce calories

how to lose fat and preserve muscle:

- lift weights 3 times a week
- eat 1 g of protein per 1 lb of lean body mass a day
- reduce calories slightly by 10-20%

nothing else matters

I play soccer and drop and gain weight when not playing in a league. I'm getting back into full fitness as the season starts at the end of the month.

1. Drop calories
2. Cut out carbs but not completely
3. HIIT workouts are great
4. You want to do some lifting as well. Intertwine both of them at the same time and you'll really get a sweat going. There's YouTube videos on this to help out. Reddit fitness also has good advice

And then of course I would play and train. But those are vital and you'll quickly lose water weight and then fat. In a month you'll be down noticeably

I lost 9kgs in 10 weeks and I was barely trying. I kept going over my calorie budget at least twice a week and still lost weight fairly fast.

1) find out your BMR maintenance calories (just an approximation but it'll give you a starting point)
2) download LoseIt app
3) enter calories for everything you eat or do and cut by 500 a day (you can cut 1000 a day for a couple weeks to kick start fast without any health problems)
4) make sure you work out as hard as you can to keep as much muscle as possible (need to tell your body that it needs to keep it)
5) if you're not losing 1lb a week or more, cut by more

A couple of notes:

Don't get brainwashed. EVERY single diet out there that works (slow carb, no carb, Atkins, south beach, banana, whatever), every single one makes you lose weight by reduced calories. They are just gimmicks. The only reason the 4-hour body diet works is because you fill up more easily on meats than on pasta, for example, so it becomes harder to overeat. But on the downside, you're giving up all sorts of tasty foods. Be a little hungrier than usual and eat what you want but less, or feel fuller but limit yourself to the most boring diet in the world. Your choice. (Oh, and people who continue to stuff themselves and eat too many calories still don't lose weight, btw. LOL) Whatever you choose is the best WAY of doing it, you're doing it by cutting calories and that's that, end of discussion.

You'll want to keep your protein up to sufficient levels. Plenty of studies show you don't need 1g per lb. It's closer to about .7g per lb if I remember correctly and even then. But you do need enough to maintain muscle repair and building.

I am not a doctor. Take this advice at your own risk. I could very well be wrong about all of it and no you can't sue me if it doesn't work out exactly this way. LOL

You guys that are all hating on low-carb diets .. you think all the science on carbs causing insulin spikes and insulin levels being related to fat storage are BS or what?

Cut carbs
workout
walk more
add a bit of IF

It worked just fine for me.

Interesting thing - reading a novel from the late 1800s and this character, a soldier, is not trying to lose weight but just maintain it so as to stay within fitness standards. Author mentions that he avoids grains (well, there was some archaic word he used, but when I looked it up, it essentially meant food products made from grain and corn-derived flours, etc) and sweets. That's all he really did.

Even back then they knew what was what. It's funny that civilization feels the need to keep walking in circles on the basics.

Beyond All Seas

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe.
To be your own man is a hard business. If you try it, you'll be lonely often, and sometimes
frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." - Kipling

Quote: (09-22-2013 06:15 PM)Beyond Borders Wrote:  

Interesting thing - reading a novel from the late 1800s and this character, a soldier, is not trying to lose weight but just maintain it so as to stay within fitness standards. Author mentions that he avoids grains (well, there was some archaic word he used, but when I looked it up, it essentially meant food products made grain and corn-derived flours, etc) and sweets. That's all he really did.

Even back then they knew what was what. It's funny that civilization feels the need to keep walking in circles on the basics.

The money in fresh food is peanuts compared to the money in the corn, grain and sugar industry.

EG: Look at the sponsors for the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics

http://www.eatright.org/corporatesponsors/

Coca Cola

Kelloggs

Pepsico

General Mills

If you check the corporate sponsors for similar organizations, you'll see the same - companies that have a vested interest in having high carb foods (blanket statement) promoted are sponsoring these 'healthy eating' bodies.

There's a reason that no advisory body has figured things out yet - money talks so bullshit walks.