rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

NLP courses.. worth it?

NLP courses.. worth it?

In this thread I am asking for opinions ONLY and EXCLUSIVELY from guys who have done official NLP courses, preferably those who have a practitioners/masters/trainers diploma if there are such among us, or those who have tried these courses and decided its not worth it.

My friend invited me to a free introductory lesson of NLP practitioners course. As I was interested because I know that Game uses some NLP techniques. This course gave me pleasant feelings. However during the first free lesson I learned nothing that I didn't know from Game already. I am asking myself if it is worth it to sign up for this course as it is quite an investment of time and money.

I have no problems in my life to get rid of, only goals to achieve. I have no bad habits, I am not insecure, although I was born an introvert I have mastered to create an extrovert outgoing persona a long time ago already, my inner and outer game is tight, I am in Game for more then 5 years, I pull 7s and 8s with decent frequency. I know how to plan my time. I have a good stable job and the only thing I am missing is knowledge to start a personal business with the little starting money I have, but I am sure I would have no in communication department. Generally I am already above most men in most areas and I am already a rather decent communicator who knows the psychology of human interaction from Game.

Would you say these courses are worth for me? I know these courses would be a good place to meet girls, but this is not my goal and I don't want to end up among losers and stupid chicks who are just learning for the first (or the 400th time and still with no results) how to manage their time, how to overcome phobias, don't get in conflicts with people, how to control their emotions and other such basic things because I already don't have any such problems and I know Game. It's only worth for me if it teaches something new that Game doesn't, some black belt level psychological warfare tactics.

So would it be worth for me?

NLP courses.. worth it?

I did the practitioners training earlier this year, it was a 7 days long with some pre-course material to get through (20 audio CDs and a book). The course also included some timeline therapy and hypnosis stuff.

I had already read a few books on the subject so most of the material was familiar, it just reinforced what I already knew.

What I did find useful was the following:
Strategy Elicitation - Finding out why a person does something and their corresponding language, body language, eye movements
Eye movements - If a person is more visual, auditory, kinesthetic. Although it is in the books, it was good trying it out on the other students
Language models - Milton/Meta models, being deliberately vague or specific, using metaphors more, chunking up/down/laterally to reach agreement or understanding. I found this particularly valuable at work.
Anchoring - Again in the books

After completing the practitioner I don't think i'll go for the master practitioner course as it seemed to just build on top of what i'd already learned.

If you haven't already, i'd suggest reading some books on the NLP then decide if you think it's worth the time and money for the course. If you want some book recommendations give me a shout.

NLP courses.. worth it?

Quote: (09-19-2013 09:00 AM)Brisey Wrote:  

I did the practitioners training earlier this year, it was a 7 days long with some pre-course material to get through (20 audio CDs and a book). The course also included some timeline therapy and hypnosis stuff.

I had already read a few books on the subject so most of the material was familiar, it just reinforced what I already knew.

Strategy Elicitation - Finding out why a person does something and their corresponding language, body language, eye movements
Eye movements - If a person is more visual, auditory, kinesthetic. Although it is in the books, it was good trying it out on the other students
Language models - Milton/Meta models, being deliberately vague or specific, using metaphors more, chunking up/down/laterally to reach agreement or understanding. I found this particularly valuable at work.

After completing the practitioner I don't think i'll go for the master practitioner course as it seemed to just build on top of what i'd already learned.

If you haven't already, i'd suggest reading some books on the NLP then decide if you think it's worth the time and money for the course. If you want some book recommendations give me a shout.

Given that most information can be scrambled from books and internet - were the practical exercises worth the money?

NLP courses.. worth it?

Quote: (09-20-2013 08:00 AM)Mage Wrote:  

Quote: (09-19-2013 09:00 AM)Brisey Wrote:  

Given that most information can be scrambled from books and internet - were the practical exercises worth the money?

The course in the UK cost 2K GBP, it meant 6 nights in a hotel, I work as a consultant so therefore had a weeks loss of earnings. Probably cost me about 5K GBP all together.

Therefore i'd say it wasn't really worth it for me.

NLP courses.. worth it?

Hi there,

I am a certified NLP practitioner. I was trained under John Grinder himself (co-creator of NLP). It was a 2 week course and I would say it is really worth it.

You get out what you put in really.

The most invaluable tool I learnt was communication with my subconcious (NOTE: I only skimmed the text, not sure if 100% correct but should give you an idea). It basically helps you to make a decision that your mind body soul etc are all congruent with. It can also be a good way to find a solution for something e.g. what can I do to make myself better health wise.

While it's been 2 years since I qualified (I qualified at 17), I have often thought of it as a waste of my money (money saved by my parents for when I get older), however it does open doors in weird ways. For example I have recently began freelance writing on elance thanks to Beyond Borders advice in this thread. One of my first jobs had an aspect of NLP and one of my highest earning jobs so far had a psychology aspect to it (one that I would not be appropriate to complete had NLP not taken me down the path of psychology).

In regards to learning it through resources on the web - this way might be successful if you are not interested in NLP as a whole. There really is nothing like learning from a good NLP trainer (there are sooo many shitty ones out there). So yeah if you are only interested in things such as rapport and eye cues just read up on it, but if you want to learn about speech patterns, therapy etc then definately buy a course.

Chris