rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Roomba and other robot vacuum cleaners

[Image: Roomba_620_product_facebox.jpg]

I wanted to ask you if you have had any experiences with robot vacuum cleaners. Not just Roomba, but also other models (most of these are less famous, but there are also Galaxy, Samsung, Neato...).

I would like to buy one of these soon because I both adore the concept and think it would save me a lot of time (I want to have a clean house so that me and guests can walk barefoot in it, but I also have a cat that is constantly shedding fur, and I can't vacuum every 2 days, can I?). The authorized iRobot dealer has some, albeit at insane prices with a ridiculously high margin.

The problem is, I have never had a robot vacuum cleaner or anything similar. I have read some reviews around, but when one says "it's not as smart and bumps into furniture" or the like, I don't know what to compare it with. Smart... in relation to what? Can anyone help with a personal account? I'm looking for value for money. It doesn't have to be high end, I just want it to cover large open surfaces regularly and I can clean the tricky parts myself.

"Imagine" by HCE | Hitler reacts to Battle of Montreal | An alternative use for squid that has never crossed your mind before

I have an irobot.

It's perfect for cleaning tile and hardwoods floors and does a good job. I have a studio so I just leave it on when I leave in the morning. When it is almost out of energy it will dock by itself.

I don't have much carpet but it seems to do a good job on that.

I got it as a gift so I'm not sure if I would spend 300 on it.

A man is only as faithful as his options-Chris Rock

get a cleaning lady. If your cat is shedding the robot will only get the floor not all of your furniture and dust. Its also a better conversation starter to say "oh, just leave that there, my cleaning lady will get that" vs. "oh just leave that there my robot vaccum will get it...whenever it randomly rolls over there"

Why do the heathen rage and the people imagine a vain thing? Psalm 2:1 KJV

Good post timing, I was just browsing Amazon yesterday for Roombas. My god they are expensive.

My issue is with corners/small spaces under desks and tables. It doesn't look like a round robot cleaner could access these spots so I imagine there would be a lot of me bending over and picking up small pieces of debris. I try to avoid bending my legs or moving as little as possible so for me this is a Roomba deal breaker.

In all seriousness, is that an issue in your experience? These things are so fucking pricey I'd think that such a simple restriction would cancel it out and like wiscanada said I'd just as well hire an EE cleaning lady a few times a month.

Quote: (09-03-2013 08:29 AM)Checkmat Wrote:  

Good post timing, I was just browsing Amazon yesterday for Roombas. My god they are expensive.

My issue is with corners/small spaces under desks and tables. It doesn't look like a round robot cleaner could access these spots so I imagine there would be a lot of me bending over and picking up small pieces of debris. I try to avoid bending my legs or moving as little as possible so for me this is a Roomba deal breaker.

In all seriousness, is that an issue in your experience? These things are so fucking pricey I'd think that such a simple restriction would cancel it out and like wiscanada said I'd just as well hire an EE cleaning lady a few times a month.

I spent a few years working with these robots (taking them apart and re-writing the control code).

For my bet, the Neato is by far the best. It's a better gadget and does a better job. I consider it a real robot.

Roomba is designed to just bump around. Neatos actually analyze the room layout, the obstacles on the carpet, and then charts itself a back-and-forth path to clean the carpet. In other words, Roomba is really, really stupid. It's not actually a robot in the sense that it just bumps around randomly. The Neato actually thinks (well kind of) of what it's doing.

Of course the Neato is 100 bucks more, that pays for the 3-d Laser scanner it incorporates into the unit.

I wish Neato would allow hackers access to their internal software.

Quote: (09-03-2013 01:06 PM)MrLemon Wrote:  

For my bet, the Neato is by far the best. It's a better gadget and does a better job. I consider it a real robot.

Which model do you suggest? http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1...ords=Neato

There seems like a few.

Real players have one of their bitches coming over to vacuum.

Quote: (09-03-2013 01:43 PM)thegmanifesto Wrote:  

Which model do you suggest? http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1...ords=Neato

There seems like a few.

There won't be a huge difference between them. Minor updates over the years. I'd just pick the cheapest.

You'd be surprised at what the Irobot can get under. It's only 2 inches high (at the max)

I don't know if any of the robots actually sanitize the floor but the robot does clean everything.

A man is only as faithful as his options-Chris Rock

I've bought two roombas over the course of the last four years. Both times I scoured kijiji and craigslist and got the robot for about $150.

The latest model I had to buy a new battery from Amazon for $40. Well worth it, every morning when I leave from work I fire it up and come home and it is full of dust.

Just be careful cuz it does not play well with shag carpets. They usually come with electric walls and I set it up so I don't find Roomba gagging on the carpet.

If you can find a used one, it is well worth it. I vacuum my shag carpet manually once every few months and roomba takes care of everything else, I missed it a great deal when I was waiting for the new battery to come in or when I had to replace my first model.

I spent a few years working with these robots (taking them apart and re-writing the control code).

MrLemon, do you see any potential opportunity for after-market parts and accessories?

For example, it seems like their batteries can fetch for $60-100. Are they typical 3000mAh NiMH batteries, or are they modified?

Quote: (09-03-2013 08:06 PM)stranger Wrote:  

MrLemon, do you see any potential opportunity for after-market parts and accessories?

For example, it seems like their batteries can fetch for $60-100. Are they typical 3000mAh NiMH batteries, or are they modified?

Honestly I'd avoid this market. The actual number of these being sold is tiny and the hardware/software combo is hard to monetize.

On the other hand, hobbying with robots will give you experience in harware/software combinations and firmware programming, and that's a hot skill right now.

So how would one go about tweaking with robotics. What types of things would be s good start. Sorry to detail the thread.

No problems derailing the thread, it's still about robot vacuum cleaners.

I'm concerned about it getting stuck on one of the higher thresholds, going under the bed in my room and not being able to get back out, or the cat somehow intefering with it or damaging it. I've seen plenty of videos with cats riding Roombas so I suspect this isn't a problem, but I'm still concerned.

The docking station would be placed under a high cupboard in the dining room.

Do you think it seems feasible? I would hate to get a robot and then find out that it gets stuck in just one room. Ideally, I'd just place it, enter instructions, and clean its bag once a week.

"Imagine" by HCE | Hitler reacts to Battle of Montreal | An alternative use for squid that has never crossed your mind before

Quote: (09-05-2013 05:37 AM)Handsome Creepy Eel Wrote:  

No problems derailing the thread, it's still about robot vacuum cleaners.

I'm concerned about it getting stuck on one of the higher thresholds, going under the bed in my room and not being able to get back out, or the cat somehow intefering with it or damaging it. I've seen plenty of videos with cats riding Roombas so I suspect this isn't a problem, but I'm still concerned.

The docking station would be placed under a high cupboard in the dining room.

Do you think it seems feasible? I would hate to get a robot and then find out that it gets stuck in just one room. Ideally, I'd just place it, enter instructions, and clean its bag once a week.

Realistically robots aren't going to do multiple rooms well anyway. Mostly you have to move them from room to room. Also you have to empty them much more frequently if you have a lot of dust or a cat or dog.

People are often disappointed with these. Don't get high expectations. Just sayin'