rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Oliver Reed Talking Sense on Johnny Carson

I've written about Oliver Reed before. And I know how much the forum enjoys nostalgia about America before the fall. Here are some clips from 1975 that I thoroughly enjoyed. They show part of Oliver Reed's 1975 appearance on the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson.

Here's the first:

Carson asks Reed a question, and Reed responds with a joke. Winters, not content with someone else getting some attention, interrupts loudly. Reed expertly deals with her. After putting her down quickly, he turns away and continues talking to Carson. He answers seriously and then includes another dig at Winters, which he delivers while glaring at her with a smirk on his face. Winters then makes another outburst, and Reed responds sternly as if talking to a child. This shuts her up, for the time being.

This is just the introductory salvo between the two.

Unfortunately, the entire interview has disappeared from the web. During the rest of the interview up until the second clip, Reed and Carson discussed American culture, and in particular women's liberation. Reed disparaged the women's liberation movement (aka feminism), and Carson allowed him to explain his views. As the conversation went on, Winter left the couch and went backstage.

Such a conversation could never take place on a modern late night show, mostly because the topic has become forbidden and because late night programs nowadays typically avoid serious conversations.

This second clip came towards the end of the interview, where Reed explains his position:

Reed puts forth his ideas about ideas about the role of a man and of a woman, and the difficulties of family life with two working parents. His remarks received applause from the crowd, and Carson, nodding, approvingly calls his views "old-fashioned." That term is almost exclusively used as a negative today. He faces another interruption as Shelley Winters returns to the stage.

Winters then pours a glass of whiskey of on his head.

She is the prototype for the modern American woman-child. She has a sassy attitude, which was not yet common in those days. Married and divorced three times at this point in her life, she later wrote about her many affairs with famous men. In addition, she vocally supported feminist causes. And while she was a bloated cow in 1975, Winters, however, used to look like this.

[Image: d3e75194597c533440dd5c994dc81ca8.jpg]

Which is a shame, considering how she looks in the clips above. She checks all the boxes for major flaws- obnoxious attitude, slut, attention whore, feminist, and fat.

Reed later made a career of outrageous , drunk appearances on late night shows. This incident with Winters wasn't even his only public clash with a feminist on TV.

Wow I watched the clips and I think its really sad seeing a gentleman and a scholar turn into a bloated drunk. Thx for the interesting thread.

Quote: (08-31-2013 03:48 PM)Bacchus Wrote:  

She checks all the boxes for major flaws- obnoxious attitude, slut, attention whore, feminist, and fat.

Winters studied method acting with Lee Strasberg. A famous story goes that during a class, she was asked to act out an intimate moment, so she got up on stage, hiked up her dress, squatted, and took a dump onto the floor of the stage.

What makes her a feminist? When she was done, she walked off-stage and expected someone else to clean her shit up.

She looks hateful in both the photo and the clip. Sheesh.

Oliver Reed though is spot on with his take on Feminism and having both parents working: it's a bad deal.

More complete version of the interview, though still edited:

Shelly Winters says she wants a younger man (Freddie Prinze) and complains about the double standards for older women. Reed deflects her constants interjections and talks women's liberation.

This clip really makes me want to use the word madam, especially if I see a 30+ woman out at a singles bar.

Quote: (09-01-2013 03:27 AM)w00t Wrote:  

Wow I watched the clips and I think its really sad seeing a gentleman and a scholar turn into a bloated drunk. Thx for the interesting thread.

The man was only *61* years old when he died. But he looked older than his years.

Reading this thread has made me enjoy drinking less. This beer I'm swigging right now tastes less sweet.

Quote: (09-18-2013 11:31 PM)Bacchus Wrote:  

More complete version of the interview, though still edited:

Shelly Winters says she wants a younger man (Freddie Prinze) and complains about the double standards for older women. Reed deflects her constants interjections and talks women's liberation.

This clip really makes me want to use the word madam, especially if I see a 30+ woman out at a singles bar.

This felt like watching the beginning of the end.

Quote: (09-18-2013 11:41 PM)Therapsid Wrote:  

Quote: (09-01-2013 03:27 AM)w00t Wrote:  

The man was only *61* years old when he died. But he looked older than his years.

Reading this thread has made me enjoy drinking less. This beer I'm swigging right now tastes less sweet.

Read this book and you'll want to drink even less. http://www.amazon.com/Allen-Carrs-Contro...1379679096 The language is a bit dated, as he was quite old when he wrote it, but you may never want to drink again after reading the arguments put down.

Beyond All Seas

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe.
To be your own man is a hard business. If you try it, you'll be lonely often, and sometimes
frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." - Kipling