rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

NYC Logisitcs - Living/Staying Here

There are numerous threads devoted to NYC. Where to game, etc etc. This thread is devoted to where to live or stay when you are in NYC, based on my observations of living here for years. Partially I am writing this because I dont like where I currently live in NYC and am looking to make a change this January. The grass is always greener, right?

Since rediscovering game, and creating a much more enjoyable healthy life for myself, I want to create the ideal place for game, be it my apartment and neighborhood. This morning I am sitting in a coffee shop where I think of where I want to be, so I thought I'd write about it.

Also, for you coming here on vacation, NYC should be an onslaught of pussy for you. If you are staying in NJ, or way out in Brooklyn, forget it, you are out of the action. You dont 'commute in' to the city. Save up a few extra shekels and get the real experience. Thats like going to Vegas and staying in Henderson. In between the hostels, airbnb, inexpensive hotels, higher end hotels, there is an option for every price point, in all of these neighborhoods. PM me for recommendations.

I have lived all over the city for years, Williamsburg(when it was a war zone), Hells Kitchen(when it was a war zone), Upper West Side, Soho(before it was a mall), Alphabet City/East Vil, Gramercy, Murray Hill. Currently Upper East Side.

The problem I am having is that going downtown for dates takes a lot of time and money, often a $15-$20 cab ride, or a 30-45 min subway commute to and fro. And then to get someone back to my place would be to say, lets get in a cab and go, rather than just strolling around the streets and walking to my place five min away. The Upper East Side is the closest thing to the suburbs in Manhattan, and I left suburbia for good when I moved here.

I moved here for some reasons I dont care to share, three years ago. I live in a 1 bed apartment that I pay $1500/mo for. Its a really good deal, right where the highest concentration of bars and restaurants are. Its somewhat spacious in a very safe/clean building. I used an incredible broker. I am good friends with my super and his wife, they are the salt of the earth. My neighbor across the hall was one of my clients. I am buddies with a guy that lives upstairs. I am usually like this though, chatty and head up when I bump into others around the building.

I have boiled it down to a few neighborhoods on where I think it is ideal to live and stay in NYC, to set up the best logistics for Game;

West Village - Based on the number of bars and restaurants, the number of single women that live here, the bohemian vibe of the neighborhood, proximity to the club scene, music scene, public transportation, etc, I believe this is the best neighborhood for game logistics. From my casual observations of coming here to work in coffee shops in the morning, all I see are young single women going to work. Very few families. No old people. No fatties. Just a lot of young single educated women who are living their 'NYC Experience', heading off to their corporate jobs. And these girls are more open I think to trying new things, kind of bohemian, but not all fucked up. Its also very gay so it increases your odds. They like to think they are hippies. Most of them are upper middle class transplants that move here to work in NYC. Now, its expensive here. For the deal I get uptown, would barely get me 300 sq ft here. I can afford a lot more but I prefer to live under my expenses, and thats where most people go wrong when they live here. Thats the trade off for me. I come from the land of McMansions. I like my space. Here its all about night game, but if you come here to Day Game, especially on the weekday, you will probably kill it too.

Union Square/FlatIron - Now I know what you are saying, what?? There is nothing to do? But the clubs are a 10 min walk away. And there are nothing but good restaurants and access to good transportation here. And anywhere you meet someone in town is a quick cab ride or even walk to this hood. I personally love this hood. Its the most up and coming area in Manhattan. So many new hotels, clubs, bars, restaurants, gyms, barber shops, retail stores, parks, events, etc. It feels fresh now here, from what it once was. The Equinox there is the best in the city, full of hot young women. Street game here is king. But in the right spots, Ace Hotel for one, night game here is very good too. Prices are still kind of high, but I can get more for my money than the Village. With the right broker, I could probably match my deal uptown on rent.

Soho/Nolita - South of Bleecker to Grand Street. This is like living in a mall. Nightlife, OK. Full of high end retail shops and creative type companies. Lots of out of town visitors. Lots of wannabe fashion types. Some good food. Its fairly central and if you go to the east village a lot this could be good for you. The residents are a mixed bag. Young hot girls, old people, families, and middle aged execs. Not my first choice, but def a cool place. My office used to be here and I hated it because I had to swim through throngs of young women to get to my office. It didnt help my office was above the Dash store, owned by the Kardashians. Real Estate can be expensive, but you can find good deals with a broker. Day Game is probably the best in Manhattan. During the day, especially on the weekend, probably the highest concentration of hot women. The restaurants are top notch. Blue Ribbon is the best sushi restaurant in the world.

Chinatown - This is my obligatory Hipster choice. Admittedly, I am an aging hipster. You wouldn't know it if you met me because I dont dress like it, but I grew up being into all that stuff, and all of my old friends are. If I were to tap purely into my hipster self, I would live in Chinatown or Williamsburg. The LES is nothing like it was, and it sort of pisses me off to go there now. A lot of my old skater buddies live in amazingly big and cheap apartments in Chinatown. They turn them into recording studios and art studios. You can be a freak here, but commute 15 min to your corporate gig. There is really really good traditional Asian, Italian and Mexican food. Groceries and alcohol is cheap. Downsides, it always smells like fish, and the sidewalks are slippery from fish guts. Plus the apartment buildings are disgusting and full of rats and cockroaches. The women are mainly non-existent. I probably wouldn't be interested in a chic that lived there. But its close to where the action is in Manhattan, and you can have a nice pad that you create. This is probably the neighborhood to find an build your dream bachelor pad in NYC on a budget.

Hope this helps on your decision of where to stay in Manhattan. Remember, stay where the action is.

Makes me miss NYC. I am currently in the "land of McMansions" as you call it, and I'm thinking I need to get out. I do like the fresh air and space here, though. I would need to drastically increase income to make it happen.

If only you knew how bad things really are.

Another thing to note - in Manhattan, your monthly rent (assuming you have no car) is your annual/40.

So if you make $100k, your rent should max at $2500 monthly.

Another neighborhood to note is the East Village, specifically in the Ave B, C and D area. They flooded during hurricane Sandy, which means savings for you. Will they flood in the next hurricane? Probably. Under NO circumstance should you take a ground level or basement, but the higher levels didn't flood.

Puckman what's your take on Chelsea for a Thu-Sat trip, Any specific recommendations for the area ?

"You can not fake good kids" - Mike Pence

Quote: (08-21-2013 11:49 AM)Nolecbo Wrote:  

Another thing to note - in Manhattan, your monthly rent (assuming you have no car) is your annual/40.

So if you make $100k, your rent should max at $2500 monthly.

Thats if you want to live around market rate. I live far below that equation, I am able to save money and live really well. Most people go way above that and barely get by. The only way to come out ahead in this city is to live far below what your peers do. They are probably broke, or just scraping by. The other way of course is to make well over $500K and above. I also used an awesome broker. People that skimp there are usually sold full market value real estate.

Quote: (08-21-2013 12:14 PM)Lothario Wrote:  

Puckman what's your take on Chelsea for a Thu-Sat trip, Any specific recommendations for the area ?

I like Chelsea a lot, but it is the most gay neighborhood in the city it literally has less women there. Plus it has an older population. Its a great place to stay, and its near the meatpacking dist, but for gaming I would choose elsewhere.

Number one favorite thing about Chelsea? Chelsea Piers. The gym there is by far the best facility in NYC. Note I said facility, again, very low on my list for women. The driving range, ice rink, skatepark, carousel, lawn, its a pretty spectacular place. For food, I like Cook Shop, for brunch or dinner. The Desmond Tutu Center hotel is one of the best deals in the city. I worked in Chelsea for five years so I know it well.

Great data!

I agree with pretty much everything said here.

Quote: (08-21-2013 12:48 PM)puckman Wrote:  

I also used an awesome broker. People that skimp there are usually sold full market value real estate.

Tell us your broker story. Can you share the contact details and how you got him/her to get you into a below-market place?

Those are all great places to live, but can you even get a studio for $1500/month in Manhattan now? From what I've read rents have skyrocketed. It's great you got a rent-stabilized place, but for those just moving in I wonder if they could get the same deal today.

I lived in NYC for 8 yrs. 6 on the UES and the last 2 in Carroll Gardens. I like Brooklyn better, lots of girls, excellent restaurants/bars on Smith and Court and the F train is very close to all great downtown Manhattan spots. If I were to move back it would be BK heights/Cobble Hill/Carroll Gardens, but I'm older and like it little less hectic. These neighborhood are now getting very expensive and a 1 bdrm for $1500 may be tough to find, but what you will find are landlords who will rent to you without the usual financial docs and income ratio that a management company requires. I used CraigsList.

If I only had $1500, I may look into the W180's. Lots of Latinas (which I love) and the A express can get you to midtown in 10-15 mins.

Quote: (08-21-2013 12:50 PM)puckman Wrote:  

Number one favorite thing about Chelsea? Chelsea Piers. The gym there is by far the best facility in NYC. Note I said facility, again, very low on my list for women. The driving range, ice rink, skatepark, carousel, lawn, its a pretty spectacular place. For food, I like Cook Shop, for brunch or dinner. The Desmond Tutu Center hotel is one of the best deals in the city. I worked in Chelsea for five years so I know it well.

I'm going to disagree about the rink. The prices are exorbitant and certainly not worth the limited time they offer the rink to the public for both skating and hockey. I know of people (living in Manhattan) who come over to Queens exactly because of that. One rink is literally a stone's throw from the island and you get more space and time for your buck.

Everything else seems fine, though. People talk a lot about New York, but ultimately the best gaming spots are in Manhattan. If I were around the city most of the year, I'd pursue some potential places in the outer boroughs (Rockaways for example) very hard.

Quote: (08-21-2013 01:23 PM)Nolecbo Wrote:  

Quote: (08-21-2013 12:48 PM)puckman Wrote:  

I also used an awesome broker. People that skimp there are usually sold full market value real estate.

Tell us your broker story. Can you share the contact details and how you got him/her to get you into a below-market place?

I can, PM me

Quote: (08-21-2013 01:47 PM)Rang off the Pipe Wrote:  

I'm going to disagree about the rink. The prices are exorbitant and certainly not worth the limited time they offer the rink to the public for both skating and hockey. I know of people (living in Manhattan) who come over to Queens exactly because of that. One rink is literally a stone's throw from the island and you get more space and time for your buck.

I was at the rink last sunday and a free skate for two people was $40, so yeah, it sucks. having grown up in a rink it stings and I dont go much. was looking at getting back into a hockey league. you play in queens?

Also, some of the most attractive women I have met here are from Jackson Heights, 1st gen. american latina women. Sometimes I just want to get on the subway and go out there for lunch and check it out. Rockaway has a beach scene now so I guess it would be cool.

great sheet.

Quote: (08-21-2013 01:53 PM)puckman Wrote:  

I was at the rink last sunday and a free skate for two people was $40, so yeah, it sucks. having grown up in a rink it stings and I dont go much. was looking at getting back into a hockey league. you play in queens?

Also, some of the most attractive women I have met here are from Jackson Heights, 1st gen. american latina women. Sometimes I just want to get on the subway and go out there for lunch and check it out. Rockaway has a beach scene now so I guess it would be cool.

I'm not in a league, but I'll always go to City Ice Pavilion whenever I want to practice skills or just get into some games.

Queens indeed has many good looking Latinas and Asians, but it helps to know some Spanish/Chinese/Korean for sure. Many of them are first-generation or lived in their native countries for some time. It's an easy in if you can speak the language well.

As I said before, I haven't been to the Rockaways enough to leave a data sheet, but Ripper's is a good place to start for day game despite the hipsters. And Connolly's is pretty fun at night. The few times I've been out there, I've run into some European chicks (Spanish, Czech, Swiss, etc.) who were either tourists or working in the city for some time. I imagine logistics would be a pain unless one could get a number for a later meetup somewhere else (Manattan for example).

This is a solid breakdown of where the current action is in NYC. Can't wait to get back there. +1

Hi New York friends [Image: smile.gif]

Quote: (08-22-2013 11:41 AM)Rang off the Pipe Wrote:  

As I said before, I haven't been to the Rockaways enough to leave a data sheet, but Ripper's is a good place to start for day game despite the hipsters. And Connolly's is pretty fun at night. The few times I've been out there, I've run into some European chicks (Spanish, Czech, Swiss, etc.) who were either tourists or working in the city for some time. I imagine logistics would be a pain unless one could get a number for a later meetup somewhere else (Manattan for example).

man this has really peaked my interest. There are a lot of little cool boutique places to stay down there on the beach, not sure they held up during Sandy, but last year it was really starting to take off. I almost bought something there last year and with Sandy I doubt I will ever consider it. I have a free weekend, and my spot in Montauk is all booked up. I may just go down there this weekend..

I like Chelsea a lot, but it is the most gay neighborhood in the city it literally has less women there. Plus it has an older population. Its a great place to stay, and its near the meatpacking dist, but for gaming I would choose elsewhere.

You're only saying this because you haven't walked around Chelsea during work hours. Some of the best looking girls you'll see in NYC are found in Chelsea during the hours of 9-5 on Monday-Friday...

Same goes for East Village. I love East Village- there's so much to do, there are a shit load of cheap/amazing restaurants, but EV is slowly turning gay. I just left about 2 weeks ago to travel, but recently I've noticed that there are LOTS of dudes holding hands and shit. Even the bars are starting to look like Chelsea. But regardless, if you can afford to live in EV between 3rd & Avenue A (don't bother with Avenue B - D), it's worth it.

Quote: (08-21-2013 09:17 AM)puckman Wrote:  

Since rediscovering game, and creating a much more enjoyable healthy life for myself, I want to create the ideal place for game, be it my apartment and neighborhood. This morning I am sitting in a coffee shop where I think of where I want to be, so I thought I'd write about it.

Also, for you coming here on vacation, NYC should be an onslaught of pussy for you. If you are staying in NJ, or way out in Brooklyn, forget it, you are out of the action. You dont 'commute in' to the city. Save up a few extra shekels and get the real experience. Thats like going to Vegas and staying in Henderson. In between the hostels, airbnb, inexpensive hotels, higher end hotels, there is an option for every price point, in all of these neighborhoods. PM me for recommendations.

Great write-up...I'm a little envious actually. If I could move back to NY and live as I live now, I'd do it in a heartbeat no questions asked...I do believe it is our greatest U.S. city, and definitely the one I most vibe with. Unfortunately, I work in an occupation/area that treats me very well as my current home base. If I was able to go back, I would definitely have to be in Manhatten (eh, maybe I could do some parts of Brooklyn -).

Quote: (08-22-2013 06:13 PM)travolta Wrote:  

You're only saying this because you haven't walked around Chelsea during work hours. Some of the best looking girls you'll see in NYC are found in Chelsea during the hours of 9-5 on Monday-Friday...

Same goes for East Village. I love East Village- there's so much to do, there are a shit load of cheap/amazing restaurants, but EV is slowly turning gay. I just left about 2 weeks ago to travel, but recently I've noticed that there are LOTS of dudes holding hands and shit. Even the bars are starting to look like Chelsea. But regardless, if you can afford to live in EV between 3rd & Avenue A (don't bother with Avenue B - D), it's worth it.

I am in Chelsea right now as I write this, and my opinion still holds true. There is a new Crossfit gym in Chelsea which probably has the best looking women out of all of them, I will give you that. Hanging out around the Google office may up your odds to see a nice looker. I worked in Chelsea for five years so I have actually spent more time here during the day. Other than that, no, I dont view it as a game neighborhood.

East Village to me is high school, I spent my late teens there, so thats how I will always view it. There are some good sushi restaurants, but its mostly herb NYU students and the slimeballs that populate Tompkins. Pretty over that scene, but I spent a great deal of time.

Is that new crossfit gym in Chelsea Brick Crossfit? I went there for a bit in LA this year.

Also, where is the highest concentration of European girls, namely Russians?

Quote: (08-23-2013 10:57 AM)slubu Wrote:  

Is that new crossfit gym in Chelsea Brick Crossfit? I went there for a bit in LA this year.

Also, where is the highest concentration of European girls, namely Russians?

Brighton Beach in Brooklyn has the largest concentration of Russians in the country. If you head down there, you'll probably see and hear more Russian than English. Some of the nearby areas also have Russian populations, too; but nowhere else beats Brighton Beach. Many of them are also partially Jewish.

From what I know, Ridgewood has a decent Czech and Romanian population, but I haven't been there very much. And then of course, you have wealthier European residents and tourists in much of Manhattan. Find a good daygame spot or look for a bar that's popular. I believe Caligula made a topic about that somewhere.

Unless you're REALLY looking for a nice, I wouldn't venture out of Manhattan or the western half of Brooklyn.

Then again if you're practicing for Russia or Asia for example, there are no better places to do it than Brighton Beach and Flushing, respectively.

Quote: (08-23-2013 10:57 AM)slubu Wrote:  

It is Brick and they did a phenomenal job with this NYC gym. The facility and trainers are top notch, probably one of the nicest crossfit gyms in the country, they def invested a lot going in, where most of them bootstrapped. Looking to join but right now with my schedule all I can do is Equinox.

I lived in New York City my whole life up until a few years ago when I left for work. Paid a visit recently and would personally vouch for Puckman on everything he said. If you care at all about your logistics take heed. Tourist traps like Times Square can be game worthy, but the high concentration of HBs will be found ONLY in the places he mentioned.

People tend to over romanticize it with all the TV and movies they watch, but New York City is just like any other big city in America- unemployed, crazy, and overridden with wave after wave of fatties.

-formerly glarkcable.