rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Security deposit spat with old room mates

Alright Rooshvers, I need some advice at the moment.

I lived with two girls in an apartment for a year (first mistake), at which the lease ended on August 1st.

I left the apartment and moved into a new place. I cleaned my bathroom and bedroom to spec and called it a day.

Well, the new girl moves in and apparently my old room mate and the new girl claim the bathroom wasn't clean. They've proceeded to spend a few hours cleaning and scrubbing it.

Now, I can understand if it was dirty and I left in a hurry but my girlfriend spent a good couple of hours scrubbing that shower while I was moving boxes. On the phone, I said to my old room mate that $50 is acceptable. Apparently, they both want $200 for a cleaning charge.

Now, my landlord still has all of the deposits. The new girl was going to pay me directly for the deposit.

Now, the real kicker is there is no itemized deductions list marking the charges. There are probably reciepts for the cleaning supplies, but I doubt that and they didn't take any pictures of the supposed mess.

I feel I am getting hosed here. There is a right and a wrong way to go about this and I am getting a nasty taste in my mouth.

What I have done so far,

1. 2 copies of my key were made, I gave one to the room mate before I moved out and held onto the other one. The spat occurred, so I returned it to my landlord directly at his management office's address.

2. I contacted my old landlord regarding the whole thing. I am still waiting to hear back from him (talked on Thursday of last week).

At best, I would love to take my room mate to small claims over this just to watch her squirm.

For the TL;DR folks
1. New tenant moved into my old room. New tenant is withholding my security deposit for wanting to charge me a $200 cleaning fee.

2. Contacted landlord last thursday about issue. Still waiting to hear back.

3. No itemized bill warranting the cleaning deposit deductions was given.

I'm in a holding pattern at the moment waiting for my old land lord to call back. Any ideas would be worth it.

It's a lot of money, but thankfully my finances are in order where I can let it wait to correctly do the motions to get it back legally. For the record, I am in Boston Ma.

Any guidance is appreciated.

"Getting it back legally" probably means directly from your landlord. Were you on the lease?

Lesson: Always get the cash up front.

Is your name still on the rent contract?

If so just say you are going to rent it to someone else or just move back in and she can move out.

Play hardball.

Whose names are on the lease with the landlord? Did your lease term (with landlord) end? Was a sublease involved?

Seems like there's not a lot you can do right now that you haven't done already, but you can LEARN from this to avoid it in the future:

Things I like to do:

1) inform landlord that you'll be paying your last month's rent with your security deposit

2) get your name on the lease and no one else's

If you're really vindictive go small claims, but small claims is A LOT of hassle and about $50-75 just to take someone there, and there's no guarantee that if you win you'll even collect, especially from poor renting college bitches

Yeah my name is on the lease so legally the LL has to pay me the deposit back. I am giving the land lord until tomorrow to call me back before I call him myself. The problem is between my land lord and myself. The girls are just being b!tches.

If I don't get a response, I am going to take my land lord to small claims.

Thankfully, the money is a lot but thanks to careful financial planning I can be without it for the time being. After being jerked around, I have no problem taking a day off of work and going into small claims just for being vindictive for these girls would be great.

I've known my landlord and was a good tenant (paid on time, no complaints, etc). I see no reason for him to withhold the deposit especially since the argument was between tenants trying to bill a "cleaning fee".

I'll let you guys know what happens.

Tell us more about what it was like living with the two girls for that long. You must have tension if they're jacking you off for 200 bucks.

Who ran the house? Did they cockblock etc

Quote: (08-06-2013 08:45 AM)el mechanico Wrote:  

Tell us more about what it was like living with the two girls for that long. You must have tension if they're jacking you off for 200 bucks.

Who ran the house? Did they cockblock etc

The one room mate L and I were pretty cool for a few months ironically. Lot of flirty banter between us. When we met, she was a solid 7.

L was the "de facto" queen bee of the apartment. Initially, a lot of her "Queen Bee" ideas on keeping the place clean and not throwing ragers during the work week made sense. Lets be real, we're all working adults here.

L eventually got a boyfriend. The stereotypical Harvard frat bro working at Goldman.

I just lived at the apartment and didn't really engage much with her at that point (around late October). My other room mate K was pretty normal. The new girl that moved in Kels is also cool. All of them are friends with the queen bee. Not a lot of cock blocking because I wasn't hanging out with her and her friends.

However, after she got her BF the stereotypical girl BS began, I got dirty stares from her when I had people over during the normal day.

Queen Bee L has her own group of girl friends who are all sickeningly blue pill. In fact, I thought a lot of the stuff I read on here didn't make sense because I wasn't running into people who acted like that.

I take it back, there in my living room was a slew of blue pill girls and this one hapless omega holding onto his chunky girl for dear life.

Around spring time, I started getting buffer. L noticed this and started getting semi hostile with me. I was always cool with her boyfriend, but I could sense some mild jealousy going on [Image: angel.gif] Dude is 6'3 and played hockey through school.

However, I stopped taking shit and being the "greater beta" and started openly challenging her and the like. One time she was doing one of those, "I wish this this and that would get taken care of!" passive girl requests to which I responded with a, "Cool story bro."

Obviously this is a "beta bux alpha fux" situation. Either way, I'm not going down without a fight.

I chose to live here because I was moving from my college town to a new city. Finding nice apartments is a pain and a half. I should have lived with the two asian girls instead (lot cooler).

Edit: There's a bit to this story i didn't include, when i first moved in i paid my security deposit directly to the old tenant. The LL still held the money. Apparently, in Mass a landlord has to take the money and put it into an escrow account and provide me with the location of the money and account. The goal was to have the old tenant pay me directly, but she was going to deduct some "cleaning" fees.

Good news, the threat of court was enough for the BS to stop. I'll be getting my full amount in a check [Image: smile.gif]