rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

The NEW Engineer Thread

The NEW Engineer Thread

Good evening everyone! I really enjoy Sabra's post and find it to be quite informational (it's located here for those newer to this forum).

However, Sabra was banned, and I'd like to organize more of a Catagorical, wiki-style post with a lot more specific information. Please contribute any knowledge you may have here in this thread!

To introduce myself, I am pursuing a 5 year MSE/BSE combined in Computer Engineering at Mercer University (ABET Accredited) on a full ride scholarship. This summer I've been interning at University of Humboldt in Berlin, and my work is getting published twice. I know my shit, at least about how to get IN TO and THROUGH school. And no, my GPA is not that great, but my resume is killer.

GETTING THROUGH SCHOOL
Rule #1: It's all in the Game.
Seriously. People will tell you this is bullshit, but you either ARE or AREN'T smart enough to do the work. No one cares how difficult it is for you, just that you are GOOD ENOUGH. The rest comes down to game. My interview skills are the sole reason I was lucky enough to get my scholarship. The reason I get internship after internship (including my currently pretty sweet position) is; game. I'm no pro with the women, but VERBAL and SOCIAL SKILLS are almost entirely lacking in this field. You'll learn that being in classes with social maladroits for years. They ARE smarter than you- make no mistake. But they'll never convince anyone else of that.

To break it into a list, do it like this:
  • Pick an ABET accredited school and go to the one with the lowest Cost of Attendance*.
  • Develop your social skills (leadership, conversation, appearance).
  • Involve yourself in extra curriculars! Student Government, Orientation Advisors, a Fraternity. I did all the above.
  • Develop your writing. This is the most lacking skill in Engineering and (in my humble opine) the most important!! No one will buy an idea or hire an employee they don't understand.
  • Maintain grades that are good enough. I have definitely found the minimum effective dose of time dedicated to academia and developed rapidly in many other areas (Geht's du deutsche-sprechen?). I have done more with a 3.0 than you would believe.
*This has severe drawbacks. Most engineering schools (not necessarily the attached university) have pretty dry prospects for females. Account for it in your planning. I went to a small christian school in the bible belt (fuck it it was free) and as a result had to develop like mad socially to get any. Not without it's perks.

A last note on getting through school, when it comes to professors, familiarity breeds contempt. Don't remind them you were in their programming for engineers class and you made a C+ (and smoked pot before class every day). Don't show up to class too much or do all of the graded homework. Sometimes you will have to pop vyvanse and pull all nighters as a result- but they also don't remember you asking stupid fucking questions and assume your ability to pass practically via telepresence to be a mark of intelligence.

Frats have testbanks, alumni networks, force you to meet girls (and guys), will be your best friends in college, and might haze the fuck out of you if you're a dweeb. Embrace it, if you can afford it.

Lastly, engineering societies are highly overrated. Don't waste your time or money. I joined SBE and SWE (Society of Black and Women Engineers, respectively) because they have dope cookouts and girls to game. IEEE has good health insurance and a mid-grade research publication; until you're actually an engineer they're just marketing themselves and soaking up dues. That should be your job!

Fellow engineers, contribute your knowledge here, and fill out the above poll so I can get a better sample of what kinds of fields RooshV engineers are in!

The NEW Engineer Thread

I'm really particularly interested in hearing from electrical or computer engineers who have segued into fields such as finance or oil. How hard was it? What resources did you find most useful? What are some top salary opportunities I can pursue with this degree?

The NEW Engineer Thread

Any fellow Computer Scientists? Recently graduated with my masters, and I'm currently looking for work. I'm curious about fellow RVF member's background/jobs.

The NEW Engineer Thread

Quote: (07-25-2013 04:17 PM)Player_1337 Wrote:  

Any fellow Computer Scientists? Recently graduated with my masters, and I'm currently looking for work. I'm curious about fellow RVF member's background/jobs.

My father is a computer scientist, and currently so is my boss.
You're not welcome [Image: tongue.gif]
Talk to me when you've passed thermo and signals and systems

Only kidding. Look for Systems Analyst jobs.

The NEW Engineer Thread

I did mechanical engineering as an undergrad, physics in grad school, chemical engineering after grad school and am now transitioning into electrical engineering.

My biggest piece of advice is to get into labs and learn how to build equipment. Get involved in as many of the local engineering and manufacturing societies as you can. They organize tours of plants and there's nothing like seeing how something is actually made. It's also a fantastic way to network. Engineering is becoming increasingly cross disciplinary. Every engineer should know how to operate a lathe and mill, build basic analog and digital circuits, enough assembly to get by, C, and a higher level language like Python. With that skill set you'll be able to quickly understand how every piece of equipment in any lab or manufacturing plant works and how to do quick fixes.

The NEW Engineer Thread

Quote: (07-25-2013 04:46 PM)BecomingMachine Wrote:  

Why do you recommend systems analyst positions?

The NEW Engineer Thread

Quote: (07-25-2013 11:01 PM)Player_1337 Wrote:  

Because first of all, it has high capacity for promotion to management roles due to the problem-solving skillset.
Second of all, you learn a lot about enterprise software suites, networking, databases, etc etc... you're basically in the trenches with every aspect of a company's infrastructure (as my friend who is a SA describes it).

The NEW Engineer Thread

I'm finishing up my master's in physical oceanography/engineering and having a very hard time finding a job. Undergrad was math/physics double major. I have the grades/internships and a strong resume. Finding that most companies want 5-15 years field experience, although once at that level the pay is pretty nice.

OP BecomingMachine has a good point...while most people in this field are brilliant, most of the management positions are filled with people 'good enough' that have strong people skills.

The NEW Engineer Thread

Quote: (07-26-2013 01:56 AM)BecomingMachine Wrote:  

Quote: (07-25-2013 11:01 PM)Player_1337 Wrote:  

Because first of all, it has high capacity for promotion to management roles due to the problem-solving skillset.
Second of all, you learn a lot about enterprise software suites, networking, databases, etc etc... you're basically in the trenches with every aspect of a company's infrastructure (as my friend who is a SA describes it).

Is it possible to start off a systems analyst, or do you typically have to work your way up to that kind of role?

The NEW Engineer Thread

My undergraduate degree (B.S.) is in applied mathematics/computer science. My graduate degree (M.S.) is in systems engineering. I am a long time software engineer, specifically data architect/database administrator. Now, I am trying to switch to the Big Data/Hadoop/Data Science industry.

The NEW Engineer Thread

for all the mechanical engineers on the forum, how are you guys handling it getting a job right now?

The NEW Engineer Thread

Quote: (07-25-2013 09:07 AM)BecomingMachine Wrote:  

A last note on getting through school, when it comes to professors, familiarity breeds contempt. Don't remind them you were in their programming for engineers class and you made a C+ (and smoked pot before class every day). Don't show up to class too much or do all of the graded homework. Sometimes you will have to pop vyvanse and pull all nighters as a result- but they also don't remember you asking stupid fucking questions and assume your ability to pass practically via telepresence to be a mark of intelligence.

Can you elaborate on this? Especially the part about not showing up to class too much.

The NEW Engineer Thread

Have an excuse to miss a couple of classes that's really valid, and give huge advanced notice- for me it was student government. Then gradually reduce the validity of the excuses and the length of prior warning you give over time- and eventually don't give any at all. They might ask you afterwards but a noncommittal response will usually do the trick. Move some tests around if you can get a good enough reason.

They'res really a few reasons;
Get your friends to teach you the material when they're cramming their asses off- it will help them study to teach you. It lets your professor know how involved you are outside class and that their class is not necessarily the only thing in their life. Also it gives you FaceTime with your professor. Try it out with an elective class then begin to apply it in everyday life

The NEW Engineer Thread

1. Why exactly did you need to create a new thread? Couldn't you just do this on the old one?

2. Honestly, I don't really get your entire argument about skipping class. Professors (at least at my university) could care less what you do outside of class. As for face time, how about you pay attention in class and go to office hours? I've found professors to be much more appreciative of interested students than students who think they've got better things to do than attend class.

In my honest opinion, familiary does not breed contempt. Most students are just trying to get through the class. My personal experience has been that when I show some form of interest, professors reciprocate with enthusiasm.

Not happening. - redbeard in regards to ETH flippening BTC

The NEW Engineer Thread

You shouldn"t have put computer and electrical in the same category.

The NEW Engineer Thread

Quote: (07-27-2013 10:58 PM)Chrysalis Wrote:  

Well in terms of "what you majored in" the departments are usually combined. Computer Engineering also doesn't refer to software engineers, although I suppose some concepts apply.

The NEW Engineer Thread

Quote: (07-27-2013 11:18 PM)BecomingMachine Wrote:  

Quote: (07-27-2013 10:58 PM)Chrysalis Wrote:  

Well in terms of "what you majored in" the departments are usually combined. Computer Engineering also doesn't refer to software engineers, although I suppose some concepts apply.

Electrical engineering diverges wildly, way more than Civil or mechanical. But I suppose if you were to put in all the branches piecemeal, it would bloat the poll needlessly, so for the purposes of the poll, it is a better choice.

The NEW Engineer Thread

Media technology here. UI/UX Developer. Plenty of jobs

The NEW Engineer Thread

I just finished my master's in mechanical engineering. Got offered 3 jobs.

I agree with the social skills. I have been very keen to develop my interview skills over the years and got jobs where others have failed. I even got a job offered from a conversation. ha.

Another key thing is to develop industry experience. I did 3 industrial related activities over 5 years. My resume is really kick ass at this point.

In terms of getting girls. It should not be your focus with engineering, but at my uni there was a nearby uni that specialized in arts and humanities. This is where i got most of the chicks i nailed.

The NEW Engineer Thread

Quote: (08-06-2013 07:37 PM)V6Wrestler Wrote:  

I just finished my master's in mechanical engineering. Got offered 3 jobs.

I agree with the social skills. I have been very keen to develop my interview skills over the years and got jobs where others have failed. I even got a job offered from a conversation. ha.

Another key thing is to develop industry experience. I did 3 industrial related activities over 5 years. My resume is really kick ass at this point.

In terms of getting girls. It should not be your focus with engineering, but at my uni there was a nearby uni that specialized in arts and humanities. This is where i got most of the chicks i nailed.

Apparently your social skills are not that great if you already got banned!
Just playing; wonder what he got banned for.
He makes a good point, or at least I agree with him- after my first internship, generating interest and getting accepted to positions and honors became easier and easier; likely also due to the confidence boost it gave me in my skills as an engineer.

A lot of people on this forum are freaks about anonmity, so I'll not post a link publicly, but if any engineers or software developers (or really anyone from this forum) want to connect with me on LinkedIn, PM me.

I've just added about 60 people who did research with me this summer; could be good leads for anyone who is recruiting.

Is there really not anyone on this forum who has used a STEM degree to transfer into the financial district?

The NEW Engineer Thread

If I could give advice to my younger self while I was an engineering student this is what I would say

Don't overthink things
Have fun
Study abroad as much as possible
Develop skills that will allow you to work for yourself within 2 years of graduation or sooner
Social skills and writing are important
Listening skills and being humble are the most important social skills when working with more experienced people
Don't take yourself or school too seriously, once you get your first job you will probably never be asked again about things like your gpa or extracurricular activities

BecomingMachine - which campus are you at?

The NEW Engineer Thread

Industrial engineering undergrad, now in sales. May get an MBA in the future but not sure I need to. Great stuff already in the thread, my take -

For current undergrads: allocate more time to degree related courses and get really invested (screw the general ed courses), don't be the frumpy unfit typical engineer (get out and exercise this helps mind and body), focus now on building people skills and networking (professors, greek connections, local alumni can all help you land a job), be more social if you have free time go out and exploit don't live in the dorm 24/7, look forward to giving presentations for practice so you can be a rock star in the working world (this helps tremendously).

My regrets as an undergrad: being unfit, bad eating habits, too much online gambling, not building rapport with great professors, not getting out enough, and not finding the RFV until post graduation.

The combo of an RVF reading male + being an engineering student is a lethal combination. Lots of potential in my opinion.

The NEW Engineer Thread

Agree that being good at interview game is vital. I've missed out on so many cool jobs because as a geek I lack social skills.

On the other hand I successfully gamed my way into the IT business after graduating in biochemistry. I have no formal qualifications in IT, but I've done well enough to have a mini-retirement at 40.

Regrets as undergraduate - not learning more about girls!

Anyone who wants an MBA, read the Personal MBA. I thought about doing an MBA, but I'd rather be doing stuff in the real world than just learning about it.

The NEW Engineer Thread

Quote: (08-09-2013 09:38 PM)phil81 Wrote:  

If I could give advice to my younger self while I was an engineering student this is what I would say

Don't overthink things
Have fun
Develop skills that will allow you to work for yourself within 2 years of graduation or sooner
Listening skills and being humble are the most important social skills when working with more experienced people
Don't take yourself or school too seriously, once you get your first job you will probably never be asked again about things like your gpa or extracurricular activities

Macon bruh. If you even know Mercer you're nearby. Down to go to Athens sometime? The datasheet I saw recently makes me HAVE to go

The NEW Engineer Thread

Quote: (08-10-2013 12:57 AM)TopPanda Wrote:  

Agree that being good at interview game is vital. I've missed out on so many cool jobs because as a geek I lack social skills.

On the other hand I successfully gamed my way into the IT business after graduating in biochemistry. I have no formal qualifications in IT, but I've done well enough to have a mini-retirement at 40.

Regrets as undergraduate - not learning more about girls!

Anyone who wants an MBA, read the Personal MBA. I thought about doing an MBA, but I'd rather be doing stuff in the real world than just learning about it.

Is that a book or an E-Book? I have the exact same thoughts, I really want to KNOW what an MBA knows but the qualification itself is irrelevant to me. I've also heard MBAs are really abstract, while actual business knowledge is concrete. Management strategies provide limited return to my businesses where I'm the only employee.

Quote:Balkanite Wrote:

Industrial engineering undergrad, now in sales. May get an MBA in the future but not sure I need to. Great stuff already in the thread, my take -

For current undergrads: allocate more time to degree related courses and get really invested (screw the general ed courses), don't be the frumpy unfit typical engineer (get out and exercise this helps mind and body), focus now on building people skills and networking (professors, greek connections, local alumni can all help you land a job), be more social if you have free time go out and exploit don't live in the dorm 24/7, look forward to giving presentations for practice so you can be a rock star in the working world (this helps tremendously).

My regrets as an undergrad: being unfit, bad eating habits, too much online gambling, not building rapport with great professors, not getting out enough, and not finding the RFV until post graduation.

The combo of an RVF reading male + being an engineering student is a lethal combination. Lots of potential in my opinion.
I think so too. I'm really glad I found you all [Image: gay.gif]. This is kind of like my fraternity but with years and years and years of experience and knowledge. This forum is the shit.

I'm particularly interested in your field-changing, my dream job one day is to pursue a PhD and then work at a think tank or investment bank or be one of those cutthroat consultant motherfuckers in a suit. Maybe IP law. Ah, pipe dreams [Image: smile.gif]

Quote:phil81 Wrote:

Don't overthink things
Have fun

I like your outlook. Could I ask you to elaborate more on what the specific skills for working for yourself in Engineering are? Do you work for yourself? Is there a "blueprint" for soon or recent graduates to work towards this goal?