rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Japanese corporate environment

Hi there

I just found out I have a job interview with a firm in Tokyo.

It's an international professional services firm with offices all over the world but the Tokyo office is all Japanese (c. 20 staff). So far I've spoken to 4 people there who all speak reasonable/good English.

I'm white, western btw; am learning a bit of Japanese but very much a beginner. Currently living in the UK.

Does anyone here have any personal experience in terms of Japanese corporate culture, atmosphere, politics etc. and could comment on how easy/difficult it would be for a westerner to fit in, potential challenges etc?

thanks

Detective Rust Cohle: "All the dick swagger you roll, you can't spot crazy pussy?"

I don't have personal experience but I was reading an article about how the Japanese are being over worked, some of them even sleeping at the office over night, working 16-18 hour days. It's also driven many to suicide. It was a vice article though, so who knows, maybe it's 3 companies and they make it sound like its half of Japan.

One tidbit I've heard is that it's rude to leave the office in the evening before your boss does. Never been to Japan.

Unless it's a very internationalised workplace... do your due diligence.

Japan is one of the only countries that actually has a term for death by overwork:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kar%C5%8Dshi

Yes, that's a thing there.

This also looks like an interesting take from a lone whiteboy in a Japanese financial firm...
http://www.mondaiji.com/blog/japan/gener...se-company

One thing I will say about Japan is it's not always immediately obvious how much the culture differs from western culture. Because they're so well developed, you could be forgiven for coming to the conclusion they're "westernised"... having been there I can say that is 100% not the case. To me it almost feels like they took an entirely alternative route to first-world-status - one that obviously worked, but is just... very, very different. Definitely do your research.

I have no experience with this, to take what I'm about to say with a grain of salt..

One of my good friends is Japanese and works for a Japanese company in their NYC branch. He says that they're constantly watching him, and that he can't do any work at his desk that's unrelated to his actual job. My friends who work for American companies are able to do their own thing at work (at their own risk of course), but my Japanese friend has absolutely no freedom to do this. He works long, stressful hours.

It sounds shitty and excessively stressful

Insane working hours definitely appear to be somewhat common over here, so I doubt that it's just three companies. Come home on the train/subway at 23:30 and find it full of men and women in suits and ties, with red eyes who look like zombies. Not sure what percentage of Japanese employees are overworked to this extent, but it does not seem to be the exception.

thanks guys - really helpful

Detective Rust Cohle: "All the dick swagger you roll, you can't spot crazy pussy?"

When I worked in Tokyo I found that the Japanese employees on my team had to stay later even though the work was done for the day.

I am not really sure what they did (I left) but they would show up at the bar at about 7:30 - 8:30 together. Usually with their boss.

I tried asking them why they would have to stay when our project was essentially finished for the day at around 4 or 5. They had no solid answer other then thats "just the way it is in Japan".

And yes, they were essentially forced to stay until their boss was done. By forced, I mean in order to save face. The same as going out for drinks after work. If the boss went, so did they.

I hate to say this, but play the westerner card to your advantage. Not saying leave early no matter what, but sitting at the office an extra 2-3 hours just for face time is redundant. Sure, some days we had work to do until 10-11 at night, but that was rare. You will always know when the hours are needed and when they are not.

Quote: (07-22-2013 11:53 AM)iknowexactly Wrote:  

One tidbit I've heard is that it's rude to leave the office in the evening before your boss does. Never been to Japan.

Japan: where everything is rude (except slurping your food loudly).

Tuthmosis Twitter | IRT Twitter