rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Linus Torvalds vs. female kernel developer

[Image: sarah-beach-square-big.jpg] [Image: article_img.jpg]

Read that in the news today. Linus Torvalds (founder of Linux) is attacked on the kernel mailing list by female developer Sarah Sharp (Linus Torvalds has to clean up his act and stop swearing). He really has balls and reacts quite well - his only fault is imho, that he didnt just ignore her (this is what I would have done - not giving her that attention). He doesnt seem to understand, whats really going on here and arguing is completely a waste of time here.

First she mailed him private. Seems she didnt get the response she expected, so she made the thing public on the kernel mailing list. Same outcome - Torvalds reacts in a good alpha way. Now she wants to bring it on the agenda of some developer conference - where the white knights are waiting to do the hard work..
See the pattern.. its always the same procedure.. [Image: undecided.gif]

http://news.techeye.net/chips/linus-torv...weary-spat

http://marc.info/?l=linux-kernel&m=137392506516022&w=2

Quote:Quote:

Bullshit.

The thing is, the "victim card" is exactly about trying to enforce
your particular expectations on others, and trying to do so in a very
particular way. It's the old "think of the children" argument. And
it's bogus. Calling things "professional" is just more of the same -
trying to enforce some kind of convention on others by trying to claim
that it's the only acceptable way.

[...]

Do you think you might be interested in *that* kind of discussion
instead of the "you are abusing me" kind of discussion?

Because if you want me to "act professional", I can tell you that I'm
not interested. I'm sitting in my home office wearign a bathrobe. The
same way I'm not going to start wearing ties, I'm *also* not going to
buy into the fake politeness, the lying, the office politics and
backstabbing, the passive aggressiveness, and the buzzwords. Because
THAT is what "acting professionally" results in: people resort to all
kinds of really nasty things because they are forced to act out their
normal urges in unnatural ways.

Linus

I don't even know what kernel is, but I like the way this Torvalds fella thinks.

Hahaa.. he's a genius that started a whole important movement in software, she's....ummm.. who is she again?

Quote:Quote:

> Oh, FFS,

OH NOEZ DONT SWAR ITS BAD. What the fuck..?

But yeah, Torvalds is a boss, no idea who this random Sharp bitch is

In the linux world, Linus is the head project manager to linux. Think like the Bill Gates of Linux.

These cunts really have to try and ruin everything, dont they?

what a don

I wish more geeks would be like this.

Quote: (07-16-2013 05:12 AM)iknowexactly Wrote:  

Hahaa.. he's a genius that started a whole important movement in software, she's....ummm.. who is she again?

She's an average looking woman who not only knows what Linux is but is apparently a genuine coder geek when more than 95 % of kernel coder geeks are male.

Free software is one of those movements to create a world where social status is determined by some alternative scale. If you suck at "fake politeness, the lying, the office politics and backstabbing, the passive aggressiveness, and the buzzwords" but at the same time you happen to be an excellent coder then writing free software to gain recognition among fellow geeks is a way to get the respect that you feel you're missing in the career world.

The only problem with this plot for horny geeks is that there is almost no way of translating status among Linux geeks into status that impresses women so any fuckable woman in that world is automatically guaranteed attention like she's the playmate of the year. So they all have an absurdly inflated sense of social status.

Yeah, Jaakkeli is right, something like 95% of kernel coders are male. I wouldn't be surprised if it's closer to 99%. That's the thing, you get one dipshit woman in an all-male environment and all of a sudden everything must be censored "for the good of the company" or "professional behavior" or even "for the children". These selfsame hysterical bitches would have burned people at the stake a couple hundred years ago.

I also like how the newspaper calls her a "female kernel developer" and "an intel woman". No shit, she hasn't earned the privilege to be name-dropped in a tech news paper.

Torvalds is an engineer. He's interested in what works. Kind of like a player. The quotation that Sir Stephen provided in the OP could have as easily come from one of Roosh's anti-corporate posts.

Linus started two revolutions - Linux and Git. I've never heard of this woman.

He has already lost even though he's right.

Girl just tried to bait him in order to get some coverage. Doesn't matter that she gets smacked down she has now put herself on the map and will get promotion from all feminist bobble heads everywhere.

The world of hackers, developers and geeks has recently been discovered and invaded by feminists - in some way this also shows how deep feminism has fallen, which is in the end a good thing. Most notable example are these 'Creeper Cards', which have appeared on hacker events like Defcon or the German Chaos Communications Congress, where they were handed over, for completely harmless incidents.

[Image: 1000px-CreeperMoveCardsGreenYellowRed.jpg]

[Image: 20121227-115148.jpg]

Quote: (07-16-2013 08:07 AM)jaakkeli Wrote:  

Quote: (07-16-2013 05:12 AM)iknowexactly Wrote:  

She's an average looking woman who not only knows what Linux is but is apparently a genuine coder geek when more than 95 % of kernel coder geeks are male.

Sounds reasonable. However, I think this is a case of Torvald being something like a Beatle and her being someone who plays Beatles songs in a bar band , somewhere.

I don't believe ( although I don't know) that she has as significant impact on Linux worldwide--he was at the center of its creation.

I doubt she has created any real great steps in software, like inventing MP3 encoding or the like, as women hardly ever do.

Although her value MAY have gone up, would you hire her if you led a software firm? Hire trouble, lawsuits waiting to happen?

@SirStephen: I like how on the green card it says "but you could have received a red or yellow card instead!" Did they forget the other option where they don't harass people for no reason?

Pretty much a mirror image of Richard Dawkins and the ugly "skepchic" re: the guy expressing interest in the elevator.

An absolute ground breaker and luminary in their own field, versus some nobody uppity chick way out of her league.

5 most recent posts on Sarah Sharp's website:

-No more verbal abuse
-Don’t be a Jerk: Responding to Ally Criticism
-Preventing Violence Against Women
-Linux Kernel Internships (Outreach Program for Women) Update
-Hacking the Gender Gap

Such a caricature. Plus: lives in Portland (shoutout to Matt Forney), two cats, married to a guy who looks like a total SWPL loser.

You really can't make this shit up. Sad.

Quote: (07-16-2013 08:24 PM)Last Parade Wrote:  

-No more verbal abuse

What really pisses me off is the implicit cultural supremacist ideology that Ms Sharp is espousing.

Mind you, Linus is from a country that invented the Molotov cocktail, fought the Soviet Red Army to a stand still, and which values honesty and frankness above all. Ms Sharp is an American woman who feels that "I'm very uncomfortable with the way that Linus communicates with certain people on the LKML (Linux Kernel Mailing List), and this causes me great anxiety at the prospect of having regular dealings with him. However, if I avoid communicating with Linus, it will have a negative impact on my career. Therefore *he* must change (by censoring himself) to accommodate *my* needs."

There's that Norwegian story about a young police officer who had transferred to the region and pulled someone over for speeding. Upon asking for the drivers license the driver called the officer a horse cock. This resulted in a court visit, were the judge threw the case out because such language was considered normal in the region.

Ask bunch of people from for example USA "How are you":
General answer: Fine, how are you....

Ask a bunch of Finnish people the same question:
General answer: None, or they would tell you how they really feel, or ignore you, and/or tell you to kindly go to hell...

TLDR: Sarah Sharp is an American Cultural Imperialist who wants to impose her view of "acceptable behaviour" on the world at large. Fuck her.

It's not like Linus is the only one that curses on mailing lists or that the "abuse" is directed at women in particular. Theo de Raadt has a reputation for being extremely abrasive and telling people to go fuck themselves for disagreeing with him, male or female.

Just another case of a woman who wants to sterilize male spaces for her own personal comfort and tastes. It's the whole nesting instinct (see: beta married dudes, forced into retreat and the whole wretched "mancave" phenomenon) leaking out into the world at large. Women are for some reason very uncomfortable with the idea that some domains and pursuits remain very much masculine, even if only in spirit. I think that women's natural propensity towards consensus-building and conformity stifles male creativity and that is exactly the kind of feminized nonsense that Linus is trying to keep at bay when he talks about "professionalism" (which is really HR doublespeak, anyways)

A lot of men in tech are quite rightfully sick of this drive to keep everything proper and accomodating for everyone. Meritocracy and egalitarianism are naturally at odds. The idea that everyone's opinion must be considered, no matter how stupid (especially when the person is a member of a Protected Group) is just hackneyed bullshit that any major developer doesn't have time for.

I'd say it's very likely that the woman submitted something that Linus or other kernel developers had been over thousands of times, got rightfully smacked down for pestering and wasting a dev's time, and is now coming face-to-face with the fact that her vagina does not afford her special privileges when it comes to the very concrete world of drivers, OS stability and memory management.

Also, those creeper cards are mad gay. Very beta. I miss the days when people behind that sort of putrid white-knighting would get rm'd and thoroughly embarassed in an installment of ~el8 or other blackhat zine.

@DLZ women through history have always been uncomfortable with male dominated spaces which they cannot control. Take 17th century London coffee houses, where scoundrels like Newton, Halley, Lloyd, and other men-children of ill repute worked on and talked about misogynistic ideas like calculus, astronomy, reinsurance et al. These men caused such a social scandal that these coffee houses were nick named "penny universities." This of course prompted the Women's Petition Against Coffee to be launched in 1674, and with the backing of the ultimate white knight King Charles II, attempted to ban said places as they made men "as unfruitful as the deserts whence that unhappy berry is said to be brought."

And of course the rotten teeth lady has her supporters

https://twitter.com/shapr/status/357204325505826816

https://twitter.com/anildash/status/357204362554130433

https://twitter.com/sreekotay/status/356950763550932992

"Go be fat on someone else's time."

Quote: (07-16-2013 08:24 PM)Last Parade Wrote:  

-No more verbal abuse
-Preventing Violence Against Women
-Linux Kernel Internships (Outreach Program for Women) Update
-Hacking the Gender Gap

Such a caricature. Plus: lives in Portland (shoutout to Matt Forney), two cats, married to a guy who looks like a total SWPL loser.

You really can't make this shit up. Sad.

The whole Ally BS has always bothered me, and I say this too having gay and bi-friends.

What it boils down to is an attempt at a guilt trip if you're not actively campaigning for other people's PC interests. Typical of feminism, it champions shaming on one hand, and speaking for people that you may have no familiarity, relation, or experience with on the other hand.

I've actually heard it said by LGBT types that "Allies are the most suspect" since it doesn't usually make sense to aggressively fight someone else's battle unless you're doing it for self-righteous ego purposes or as a result of reaction formation.

You don't need to carry a button and drop lectures on people to be a good friend, and conduct yourself with decency.

And since it involves in vogue political correctness and academia, you see/hear/read statements like "Remember, it's international violence against trans-people awareness day" from people who have probably barely, if ever, interacted with a trans-gendered person, let alone thought about how statistically insignificant those assault numbers are.

Of course, the above types still aren't as bad as those prioritizing and identifying with causes that aren't even human related in the first place:

Spirituality connecting with Nature through eulogies like that makes about as much sense as praying to Tom Cruise to save you with his voodoo..

Quote: (07-16-2013 06:28 PM)SirStephen Wrote:  

The world of hackers, developers and geeks has recently been discovered and invaded by feminists - in some way this also shows how deep feminism has fallen, which is in the end a good thing. Most notable example are these 'Creeper Cards', which have appeared on hacker events like Defcon or the German Chaos Communications Congress, where they were handed over, for completely harmless incidents.

[Image: 1000px-CreeperMoveCardsGreenYellowRed.jpg]

[Image: 20121227-115148.jpg]

I can imagine their faces when someone hands them this card:
[Image: XsUzxzi.jpg?1]

Check out my thread Essential android tools for modern players and alphas to find out how to make your android phone your wingman, or click here and scroll down if you only need to root it.

Want sound that puts iPods and iPhones to shame? I got you covered!

She's some Intel drone that managed to get a cubicle within a large company not because of any talent, but because of a quota system by management. Intel designs chips, not software. Her being in the software side of a hardware company ("Intel’s Open Source Technology Center") already shows she's safely off in the shoals where she can't do much damage. What does she do? She takes software that other people write (Linux), and tests it on hardware other people built (Intel chips). When something doesn't work, she goes crying to real engineers for them to fix it for her, and then "pretty packages" these changes for submission back into the linux kernel. I'd like to say she's just a testing engineer, but even that would be too much. She more the level of a tech writer, cleaning up what real engineers are writing.

Note: The Linux kernel internship she's coordinating also requires teens to submit and have accepted patches to the Linux kernel. She thinks she's hot shit for submitting linux patches, unaware that's in her 30s she's accomplished what many 14 year old boys have already done.

Her linkedin profile shows she has spent most of her past career as a testing drone. Her biggest accomplishment to date that's she's still showboating is porting USB 3.0 support to intel. Really? Having a working port of USB 2.0 already, this should have been this child's play. Having other USB 3.0 drivers in the linux source tree from other platforms to copy their source code from and mimic should have made this something even a gerbil could do. Device drivers aren't that fucking difficult, kiddo.

Her blog is ridiculous. It expends much effort self-aggrandizing and publicity whoring what are in reality extremely meager accomplishments.

The sad reality is Sarah Sharp has a dull mind.

"Alpha children wear grey. They work much harder than we do, because they're so frightfully clever. I'm awfully glad I'm a Beta, because I don't work so hard. And then we are much better than the Gammas and Deltas. Gammas are stupid. They all wear green, and Delta children wear khaki. Oh no, I don't want to play with Delta children. And Epsilons are still worse. They're too stupid to be able to read or write. Besides they wear black, which is such a beastly color. I'm so glad I'm a Beta."
--Aldous Huxley, Brave New World