rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

How to Not be Average

How to Not be Average

I was going over goals in my head and thought I would start a list of easy ways to be above average:

Exercise - The average adult 18-64 gets 4 hours a week. That includes 2.5 of vigorous activity. Considering all the fat asses I see this number seems high. Exercise is a necessity for me. Helps in all aspects of life, game, stress, ect..

Language - The average american speak .18 foreign languages. 46% of Europeans speak a foreign language, 16% speak two or more. This just adds fuel to the fire for the "stupid American" stereo-type.

Sexual Partners - The average man reported having 9.3 different partners. I'm sure most on the forum are well above this, but just for comparison sake

Volunteer - 26% of Americans 16 and over volunteered for a nonprofit. Giving back in some way, be it time or money, helps you develop as a man and puts life in perspective (no homo).[Image: gay.gif]

Instrument - Only 8% of Americans can play a musical instrument. Guitar game 'nuff said.

Savings - In 1944 the average american saved 26%. Now, the average American saves 6.2%. This is something I know I can improve on. If you start breaking it down 6.2% of your income isn't shit when you look at how much you blow on worthless, throw-away shit you don't really need.

Keep the list going, this is just the tip of the iceberg.

How to Not be Average

PS: Not everyone here is American

How to Not be Average

Read. The average person is an ignorant fool. You should always be reading through one or two books.

I've got the dick so I make the rules.
-Project Pat

How to Not be Average

Make a solid income.

Half of Americans are considered low-income or living in poverty. Only 5% make 6 figures or more.

Note: Forgive me if these numbers are not 100% current, but I'd say it's still quite close.

Beyond All Seas

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe.
To be your own man is a hard business. If you try it, you'll be lonely often, and sometimes
frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." - Kipling

How to Not be Average

Really, the average man with 9 partners?

Since most men don't have game, I'd be surprised if the average man had 5.

I'd like to add sports to this list. Most men don't play or have one sport that they devote serious time to.

Every man should have a sport they excel at.

It doesn't mean you should be playing or aiming for pro, but you shouldn't be playing at the minor beer leagues either.

If you don't have a sport you excel at, start running competitively. Sign up for 5k races year round. Aim to finish in the top 5%. Once you do that, top 3, then top 1 etc.

Very attainable with hard work.

You don't have to be the best, but you should aim to be in the class of champions.

How to Not be Average

Quote: (07-11-2013 11:33 AM)Nascimento Wrote:  

I'd like to add sports to this list. Most men don't play or have one sport that they devote serious time to.

It doesn't mean you should be playing or aiming for pro, but you shouldn't be playing at the minor beer leagues either.

If you don't have a sport you excel at, start running competitively. Sign up for 5k races year round. Aim to finish in the top 5%. Once you do that, top 3, then top 1 etc.

You don't have to be the best, but you should aim to be in the class of champions.

Running 5 km will probably put you in the top 5%, no matter where you place..

How to Not be Average

In a sentence?

Be your own biggest critic

If you hold yourself to the highest standard, even more so than your boss and peers you'll excel in everything.

The biggest critic in the room should always be yourself, otherwise you're just making bullshit excuses and hating to make yourself feel better.

How to Not be Average

Quote: (07-11-2013 11:36 AM)Architekt Wrote:  

Quote: (07-11-2013 11:33 AM)Nascimento Wrote:  

Running 5 km will probably put you in the top 5%, no matter where you place..

Good chance. I have a gut, smoke unfiltered cigarettes and ingest way too much weed, but I still place in the top 1/4 in half marathons. It takes very little work to be above average.

How to Not be Average

Always seek to be the weakest person in the room.

Surround yourself with winners, people that you want to compete with and help pull you up to the next level. You're not gonna get very far if all your buddies want to do is get wasted every weekend, talk about girls but never approach them or brainstorm ideas for businesses but never follow through.

ACTION POINT
1) List at least one area you want to excel in
2) List at least 3 people who are skilled in this area who can offer you advice or support
3) Engage with them. Take them out for a coffee and pick their brain. Join a weekly mastermind group with them. Be their unpaid intern just so you can absorb their genius.

It's been said that you are the average of your 5 closest friends, so if you want to upgrade you will probably have to upgrade your company my friends.

How to Not be Average

Intelligent people generally understand that the world is gray. However, if you want a lot of people to listen to you, project it as black and white. Use peoples willingness to abandon logic in favor of emotion to polarize your audience.(see the Zimmerman trial discussions, and the political system)

Personally embrace ambivalence like nothing else. Your creativity will skyrocket and you'll become much better at grasping complex ideas.

How to Not be Average

"Language - The average american speak .18 foreign languages. 46% of Europeans speak a foreign language, 16% speak two or more. This just adds fuel to the fire for the "stupid American" stereo-type."

I don't see how that makes someone stupid?? Most Americans have NO need to speak other languages, but a large % actually speak Spanish as a first and second language.All American s must study language in high school, but lack of practice makes it easier forgotten.
Americans take more science and math classes than Europeans on average so does that make Euro peans "stupid Europeans"?
Most of your other categories was good.

How to Not be Average

Quote: (07-11-2013 04:29 PM)jimukr104 Wrote:  

"Language - The average american speak .18 foreign languages. 46% of Europeans speak a foreign language, 16% speak two or more. This just adds fuel to the fire for the "stupid American" stereo-type."

I don't see how that makes someone stupid?? Most Americans have NO need to speak other languages, but a large % actually speak Spanish as a first and second language.All American s must study language in high school, but lack of practice makes it easier forgotten.
Americans take more science and math classes than Europeans on average so does that make Euro peans "stupid Europeans"?

I think you can't see the forest for the trees. If you can speak English you don't *need* to speak another one. Correct. If you live in the US, you don't *need* a passport because the US has everything you need. If you live in Texas you don't *need* to leave your county, because Texas that's why. You don't *need* to exercise because you're rich and have an SUV. Because of all this, you have no *need* to know geography outside your county.

There is a world of difference between what you need, and what makes you a better, more interesting, well rounded individual.

Also, I'd wager there is a world of difference between someone who did it at a high school level and someone who is fluent in a language and merely "out of practice".

How to Not be Average

Quote: (07-11-2013 07:21 PM)Seadog Wrote:  

I think you can't see the forest for the trees. If you can speak English you don't *need* to speak another one. Correct. If you live in the US, you don't *need* a passport because the US has everything you need. If you live in Texas you don't *need* to leave your county, because Texas that's why. You don't *need* to exercise because you're rich and have an SUV. Because of all this, you have no *need* to know geography outside your county.

There is a world of difference between what you need, and what makes you a better, more interesting, well rounded individual.

Also, I'd wager there is a world of difference between someone who did it at a high school level and someone who is fluent in a language and merely "out of practice".
I believe his point was that most Europeans acquire secondary languages (particularly English) not because they're trying to expand their minds and become more learned people, but simply because they need to... For better or worse, English is the lingua franca of the world, and to conduct any sort of international business often necessitates a basic understanding of English.

How to Not be Average

And that means absolutely nothing in relation to intelligence. I've met junkies who traveled through multiple countries begging for change as a living and they were very interesting people, but that didn't make them intelligent.

How to Not be Average

Don't play video games.

How to Not be Average

Language is huge. Like music, it has been shown over and over and over again to be beneficial to brain functioning (especially for children, teenagers and young adults whose brains are still developing). Honestly, English is more than sufficient for 99% of Americans, even when abroad, but that doesn't mean they couldn't benefit from competency in another language. Irrespective of brain improvements, the cultural perspectives and new friendships you make in another language are invaluable.

I wrote a blog post on this subject here: http://www.generation21stcentury.com/201...g-average/
My list for being above average was:

"More than that, most people aren’t:

Fit enough to bench-press their own body weight
Bilingual (or learn a language they didn’t grow up with, for those with more varied heritage)
Self-employed
Well-travelled
Well-read
Noticeably attractive
Able to defend themselves or
Incredibly interesting"

Seems like a pretty solid list. Maybe "sexually experienced", "quite generous to charity" and "musically capable" could be added, but they are a part of being interesting imo.

Improve yourself, improve the world.
Datasheets: Chinese Dating. Bitcoin and trading on BTC-E.

How to Not be Average

Quote: (07-11-2013 09:11 PM)snoop Wrote:  

And that means absolutely nothing in relation to intelligence. I've met junkies who traveled through multiple countries begging for change as a living and they were very interesting people, but that didn't make them intelligent.

Some of the most intelligent people I know are junkies. In fact, most of my smarter friends at least smoke weed, drink, or take psychadelics on a fairly regular basis

How to Not be Average

Quote: (07-12-2013 07:56 AM)Architekt Wrote:  

Quote: (07-11-2013 09:11 PM)snoop Wrote:  

Some of the most intelligent people I know are junkies. In fact, most of my smarter friends at least smoke weed, drink, or take psychadelics on a fairly regular basis

Nothing wrong with a mushroom trip from time to time. I've made big lifestyle changes after a few mushroom trips. Seems to put everything in perspective.
I would think the average person doesn't use psychedelics and misses out on the benefits.

How to Not be Average

I didn't take mushrooms until after I had a few other psychs, but I can confirm they're definitely one of the easier entries into the world of psychs. Not so much introspection, more like being drunk with some visuals. If you want to experience insanity, eat a bunch of acid and smoke some good DMT. That'll get you good. Unless you're like me (I have some kind of unnatural tolerance to this apparently), you'll probably be making some big lifestyle changes after the fact.

How to Not be Average

The main way not to be average is to identify exactly what your goals are and write them down. Then fill in a checklist of how youre going to get there, in specific terms which leave you with no wiggle room. If most people even actually sit down and consider where they want to be in 5 years time, they do it in such vague terms that they're no better for it.
Also try not to always take the path of least resistance. E.g. Lift weights instead of playing fifa and read instead of tv etc

How to Not be Average

LOL.. and 3 guys "liked" that post. I wonder if they were non Americans??(WHERE ARE MY REP POINTS?)
Anyway....I never said to take it that far. But if you learn a language and NEVER get to use it , it does NOT make you more interesting person, or more well rounded. What would happen is that you would forget what you learn.i am sure A lot of American know computer languages and that is more interesting to them because they actually meet like minded folks to chat with.In USA we all start language classes at around 7th grade. In high school we have another 3 years of it. If you don't pass the regents exam then you NEED to take language classes at university level. BUT because we don't practice it in conversation MOST of us forget it.The frig gin border patrol cops use it every day and their 6 months of training makes them more fluent than our 5-7 years of Spanish studies.The only way to get fluent would to 1. have an interest to continue practicing. 2. have the opportunity to do so. Most American DON'T have 1 and 2. i don't think most Caucasian Americans want to go live in the Spanish hood.
That being said...I would think A LOT of Americans speak a foreign language to some extent. A large % of Americans were born overseas or are second generation Americans. Half of NYC probably speaks foreign languages. In the NYPD we had more speakers of multiple languages than the CIA. They actually use to borrow some of our cops who were born in Iraq or Afganistan.
In my area where I LIVE , I can't throw a stone without hitting a hot chick who speaks Russian, Georgian, Ukrainian or Polish or Chinese OR kOREAN.
A large part of the country learned Spanish from family or was born overseas.
BUT for the average white bread small town/city bopkin (lol) will NOT have the motivation to continue practicing his college learned language outside of school. He has NO reason to. He will rarely be in a situation where he will get to use his language or practice it. Nor will he impress anyone with it. American chicks mostly speak English even if they are Spanish and don't need a guy to speak spanish.
Also the Avg. American who does get a passport will not have a big motivation to be fluent in a language so he can save a few bucks on his 1-2 week foreign vacation to see Paris.
But if music is a language.. I am sure we have a lot of talented instrument players in this country who have studied the language. We have loads of folks who know computer languages. These languages took hard work to learn as well.
If" game " is a language.. I hear the Americans are the best and have you all beat anyway [Image: tongue.gif]

Btw... exercise is for health and look good,FEEL GOOD...it is a NEED.
We all learned geography [Image: tongue.gif]. After all before we take over the world we have to make sure our future soldiers know where they are going ;P

P.S. You realize I AM BUSTING YOUR CHOPS right? I just think it is audacious to generalize what people need to be specifically to not be average. I would say lets start with penis size. And my female neighbor would think your above average if you eat pussy good.[Image: catlady.gif][Image: catlady.gif][Image: catlady.gif]

If most guys stop eating a lot and smoking and drinking..they also will be above average apparently lol.

How to Not be Average

Do what makes you happy and drown out all the noise that tries to tell you something different.

Don't want to get married? Don't allow social pressure to make you get married.
Don't want to work in a cubicle? Get the necessary skills needed to do what you enjoy.
Don't want to fuck ugly women? Don't drink too much at the bar. heh

How to Not be Average

Quote: (07-12-2013 07:32 PM)worldwidetraveler Wrote:  

Do what makes you happy and drown out all the noise that tries to tell you something different.

Don't want to get married? Don't allow social pressure to make you get married.
Don't want to work in a cubicle? Get the necessary skills needed to do what you enjoy.
Don't want to fuck ugly women? Don't drink too much at the bar. heh

true that....

How to Not be Average

We make our habits, and then our habits make us. - Dryden

I think these words apply here.

How to Not be Average

few people on this forum are truly average.