rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Hair Loss and Receding Hairline

It's my 24th birthday and I am a bit dismayed to have noticed for the first time that my hair is receding at the temples. Also my hair has been falling out quicker than usual.

I assume some guys on this forum have dealt with this or are currently dealing with it.

Any suggestions besides shaving it off and accepting old age?

Apparently a lot of my lifestyle habits are causing the ideal environment for hair loss: drinking, strange sleeping habits, washing hair with soap instead of shampoo, consistently forgetting to take my multivitamin.

I hear green tea is supposed to be good:

"Green tea is used as a method to stop or prevent male pattern baldness. This type of baldness or hair loss can be stopped with green tea by blocking the production of DHT. Green tea can be taken as a beverage or it can be taken in a supplement form."

Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?

A few things here.

- Hopefuly your hair loss with stop or atleast slow down. I know around 23 or so my hairline squared off in the front a little and I was real worried...then miraculously it just sort of stopped for the next 7-8 a years then I noticed a little more but again it stopped. I guess it goes in stages . I noticed around 30 I started get a little spot in the back of my head that was showing. It def affected me a little, but just deal with it is all I can say. Also for me, back in the day I hit the juice a little (experimental in college) and that def. caused a little jump in hair loss...(anabolics will not just create baldness, but if you are predisposed to losing your hair then it will def speed it up) I still have pleny of hair, but I'm aware enough of the spot that I keep my hair short. I notice most women prefer this. They can still see your hair color and texture and if you are going bald and taking a razor to your head you are not fooling anyone anyways. The whole bick thing was new at first but now every guy you see with it, you just know he is bald so it sends the same message. What is the very worst though is the guys that are very bald and try to grow a long patch of hair and comb it over to cover the baldness...that is just whack.

- I really do not know if lifestyle habits are causing your troubles. I am sure they aren't helping, but you could also be a non drinker, who eats clean and exercises daily with perfect 8 hour sleep regiminin and still go bald. Its weather or not your scalp has a sensitivity to DHT, simple as that. In fact if you are in Prime health with optimized Testosterone levels, and you are predisposed to balding I think it may happen quicker rather than later. Of course I have seen temporary bald spots in people who are very very stressed, (after heart surgery, death in the family, divorce, POW's) but they tend to

- You want something that might help you block DHT (Dehydrotestosterone) at your scalp level. You DO NOT want to eliminate DHT from your body. DHT is responsible for harderning and density of muscles as well as sexual arousal. If you eliminated DHT as you are suggesting , then your muscles would become softer and your sex drive would start to wain.

You need DHT.

- Good news is there are a few women that actually like a little baldness, most others do not really care, and of course there are some that hate it. But look at guys like Sean Connery who is still voted one of the most handsome men in the world (despite bieng like what, 75 and bald) guys like Bruce Willis, Jordan, etc. Just do you man and try not to stress it.

Yep....another reason to get rid of skin heads...if your white you look crazy if your under 40 with a shaved head due to them....brutha's don't have this problem becuz we can just shave it all off and the women will not care...(Thank you fab five, onyx, michael jordan)....

Check your mom's side of the family..that determines your hairline for most people...mine is hanging in but I still choose to shave it all off ecause I feel better...

I'm scary white and I look good with a shaved head, as verified by multiple unsolicited compliments. Ive had it shaved for about two years now. And caramel communist, I just got done dating a sista who was a 9. So, the theory might be flawed.

It helps to have a baby face though. Best thing I ever did, and I fought it for a while. But when i see the before and after pics, what a difference in my overall attractiveness. And I don't have a skinny head that tends to look better with a shaved dome. That's why i resisted. usually, even if you have a little bit of receding, unless you have curly hair, its best to shave it right away. Especially if your in the beginning stages, its like getting your hairline back because people cant tell its receding when its shaved but not bald. Then, they get used to your look, and any further receding will seem extremely gradual to most people that you know, if they notice at all. Just keep it close. I like one day of growth. Anything more and I look better shaved. But that might have more to do with my head shape than anything else.

My success with women noticeably went up when i shaved my head. I never felt invincible with women before, and now I kind of do. Most of that is due to game, of course, but I noticed a bump when I shaved my head. Its also nice not to have to worry about the hair.

Your success with women wont be affected by your shaved head. At least that's my experience. If anything, it will likely go up. Especially with women over the age of 25 or so. And if your success with women wont change, or will improve, what else matters as far as your hair goes?

Try getting some Rogaine

http://www.rogainedirect.com/products/me...al_rogaine

Ish Gibbor

Quote: (08-26-2010 01:06 PM)hydrogonian Wrote:  

I'm scary white and I look good with a shaved head, as verified by multiple unsolicited compliments. Ive had it shaved for about two years now. And caramel communist, I just got done dating a sista who was a 9. So, the theory might be flawed.

It helps to have a baby face though. Best thing I ever did, and I fought it for a while. But when i see the before and after pics, what a difference in my overall attractiveness. And I don't have a skinny head that tends to look better with a shaved dome. That's why i resisted. usually, even if you have a little bit of receding, unless you have curly hair, its best to shave it right away. Especially if your in the beginning stages, its like getting your hairline back because people cant tell its receding when its shaved but not bald. Then, they get used to your look, and any further receding will seem extremely gradual to most people that you know, if they notice at all. Just keep it close. I like one day of growth. Anything more and I look better shaved. But that might have more to do with my head shape than anything else.

My success with women noticeably went up when i shaved my head. I never felt invincible with women before, and now I kind of do. Most of that is due to game, of course, but I noticed a bump when I shaved my head. Its also nice not to have to worry about the hair.

Your success with women wont be affected by your shaved head. At least that's my experience. If anything, it will likely go up. Especially with women over the age of 25 or so. And if your success with women wont change, or will improve, what else matters as far as your hair goes?

what's flawed about getting rid of skin heads?

Quote: (08-26-2010 12:28 PM)Caramel Communist Wrote:  

Yep....another reason to get rid of skin heads...if your white you look crazy if your under 40 with a shaved head due to them....brutha's don't have this problem becuz we can just shave it all off and the women will not care...

The bolded text is the "might be flawed" part. Also, inferring that its only "brutha's" who's shaved heads only look good to women.

I have one black friend who's head doesn't look good shaved. Its about the shape of his head and face. Big upper dome and forehead, with a narrowing face. He looked much better with hair. Conversely, a white guy like Bruce Willis looks pretty good with his head shaved. My step-brother in law has Bruce's head shape, with a good face and decent game, and he has to beat them off with a stick (but he doesn't, to my step sisters chagrin).

Maybe a more accurate term is "neo-nazi", then skin head. With all of the white guys with shaved heads these days, and all of the neo-nazis with hair.

James Tony, now that brother looks good with a shaved head [Image: smile.gif]

Anyhow Hydro I tend to agree with you, but I think its more about confidence than anything. If you have horribly thin hair and you are pulling the long hair comb over or are afraid to go out without a hat, then it will affect your overall game, confidence and attitude. It just looks like you have something to hide or are too scared to roll how you are.

CC - Dr. Dre is a black dude with a clearly receding hairline but still looks ok.

I still like the short but not shaved look for myself. Sort of like a Jason Stathan look (expendables, crank etc) only I keep my hair just slightly longer than he did in Snatch..Im not qiute as bald as Stathan but eventually getting there Im sure. At this point I'm 33 and I kind of start to play into the more mature look anyways.

Now I'm not saying bald looks awesome or anything ,but I do know that some girls prefer atleast a little of a receding hairline to a pre-teen 1" above your eyebrow hairline.

Quote: (08-26-2010 01:58 PM)Rocco81 Wrote:  

I still like the short but not shaved look for myself. Sort of like a Jason Stathan look (expendables, crank etc) only I keep my hair just slightly longer than he did in Snatch..Im not qiute as bald as Stathan but eventually getting there Im sure. At this point I'm 33 and I kind of start to play into the more mature look anyways.

I'm the same age, and I agree with you. its just hard to get it that length without shaving it regularly. So that length tends to come around days 1-3 after I shave.

Quote: (08-26-2010 01:58 PM)Rocco81 Wrote:  

Now I'm not saying bald looks awesome or anything ,but I do know that some girls prefer atleast a little of a receding hairline to a pre-teen 1" above your eyebrow hairline.

I agree that its not my optimal look, but on a guy like Jason Stratham it almost seems like his. Thank god that looks are a very small hurdle to get over to date most women, assuming that a guy isnt completely retarded with everything else. Whereas men are much pickier, no matter how good a females 'game' (ha!) is. It does look more mature. Its strange, because I always felt that my young look, with hair, hindered me a lot. Now, I look more like a man.

Does Rogaine work? I've heard it causes guys to become completely dependent on the stuff.

I think the shaved but not bald thing could work me. As a babyfaced and reasonably good looking Asian dude it is a look that works naturally with my ethnicity. Also, it wouldnt hurt in terms of stepping up and polishing the more mature look. People regularly tell me that they think I look like a muscle bound teenager.

Check out Tim Ferriss in this video -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JHzLlvlV...re=channel

He's not exactly shaved off but it's short enough that you don't really notice the balding too much. Is this what you were talking about, Hydro and Rocco? If so, that could definitely work for me.

I used to have a shaved but not bald head in high school, wasn't too bad. Definitely less maintenance required.

In my twenties though, I would like to have a head of hair though lol.

Please let me know if you have experience trying rogaine.

That video is a great example. Ferris is lucky that he's a good looking guy, cause his hair looks like shit like that, imo. He's also lucky he's blonde, because the scalp contrast to his hair is much less. If he were dark haired, he couldn't get away with that without looking much worse. He is way past the point where he should have been either shaving or searching out a hair replacement solution. He's actually got the remnants of his hair parted in the middle. Yeesh...thats much braver to go out in public like that than shaved, imo.

Although the other guy isn't quite as naturally good looking, imo, he looks better insofar as how put together he looks. The other guys 'hair'/head looks much, much better. A little growth is okay, but ferris has too much for his level of baldness. A guy with his level should have it a lot shorter. If you have to comb it, or you can move it around, its too long. He should have stubble at the most, if he wants to look his best.

It'll be interesting to see where he goes with it. With his level of income (assumed) I'll be willing to guess that he'll eventually go to a hairpiece like Matthew McConaughey. He's in a tough spot, because shaving outright is a huge change to his public image at this point. But he should do it anyway, because eventually people will forget about the fact that he wasn't always like that. Sort of like Bruce Willis, but even more so because there are no full length movies of Ferris to remind you. McConaughey went the other way. No one remembers the pictures where he was almost totally bald.

Yeah, that sucks in your twenties. But as you get older, it will happen to more and more people that you and all the girls your age know. Eventually, its no big deal to anyone your age. Except to the guys who are paranoid about it because it hasn't happened to them yet. Again, I haven't found it to be an issue with one single woman. The most I get is "you should grow your hair". Then I do a little, and they wonder why it doesn't grow in on the temples. Then I explain, and they're like "Oh, ok. ready to go have sex now?" Then I shave it again the next day. No big deal. Its all about owning it. If you don't care, then they won't. I don't even think about it.

If you are losing it, and your lucky, then it'll happen very slowly. Mine started when i was 23. I didn't need to shave until 31-ish. It was real slow. I still have an okay line, but not good enough not to shave. I hate the going bald look with long-ish hair. A soon as I thought that happened to a noticeable extent, it was gone. I'm happier for it.

Quote: (08-26-2010 01:36 PM)hydrogonian Wrote:  

Yep....another reason to get rid of skin heads...if your white you look crazy if your under 40 with a shaved head due to them....brutha's don't have this problem becuz we can just shave it all off and the women will not care...

The bolded text is the "might be flawed" part. Also, inferring that its only "brutha's" who's shaved heads only look good to women.

I have one black friend who's head doesn't look good shaved. Its about the shape of his head and face. Big upper dome and forehead, with a narrowing face. He looked much better with hair. Conversely, a white guy like Bruce Willis looks pretty good with his head shaved. My step-brother in law has Bruce's head shape, with a good face and decent game, and he has to beat them off with a stick (but he doesn't, to my step sisters chagrin).

Maybe a more accurate term is "neo-nazi", then skin head. With all of the white guys with shaved heads these days, and all of the neo-nazis with hair.

relax...I was fucking around bro..LOL..I knew what you meant..agree with some of your points...just depends on the shape of the noggin...I just hate it when cat's try to fight it...shave or die..

Hair loss is mostly genetic. I don't think it can be caused by using soap or drinking or most other environmental factors.

Quote: (08-26-2010 10:56 PM)Caramel Communist Wrote:  

Quote: (08-26-2010 01:36 PM)hydrogonian Wrote:  

relax...I was fucking around bro..LOL..I knew what you meant..agree with some of your points...just depends on the shape of the noggin...I just hate it when cat's try to fight it...shave or die..

I wasn't stressed. I feel you.

Exactly Hydro, you hit the nail on the head with "owning it" which is really what it is about. It doesn't realy matter how you decide to wear your hair, really just as long as the baldness doesn't make you paranoid and too self consciuos to affect your game or overall self image.

If the hairline is not receding much, you can have some longish bangs that effectively cover your forehead. Someone who rocked this look throughout the 90s was Blur frontman Damon Albarn, although he didn't have a receding hairline back then.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7hwuK88Mdo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3qoCSiJJVY

The second clip is kinda funny, a drunken outburst.

Luckily I've noticed no hair loss and I just crossed 34 a few months ago. I just have a lot of gray hair popping up like weeds. I'll take that over being bald though.

Btw, the thing about inheriting baldness through your mother isn't true. It's an old wives tale. Look it up.

Quote: (08-27-2010 08:43 PM)speakeasy Wrote:  

Luckily I've noticed no hair loss and I just crossed 34 a few months ago. I just have a lot of gray hair popping up like weeds. I'll take that over being bald though.

Btw, the thing about inheriting baldness through your mother isn't true. It's an old wives tale. Look it up.

I always wondered about that, my grandfather on my mom's side supposedly was bald, but my older bro is 34 and show's no signs, and my dad has a full head of hear at 69.

For those of you who are bald or balding, though, do you find that it's a particular obstacle to overcome when trying to pick up younger girls? Even among younger girls who are open to dating older men, is it possible that a bald head is just too conspicuous a sign of age for them to ignore?

If you have a Costco nearby you can get generic old non-foam Rogaine so cheap you might as well try it.

What's better though is the Propecia pill for hair loss, but it's expensive, so tell your Doctor you'd like a prescription for Proscar(same drug, only for Enlarged Prostrate and more potent) and buy a pill cutter. I think Proscar can be had pretty cheap nowadays.

Also multiple studies have shown those laser combs ACTUALLY work.

My friend started losing his hair pretty early in life (late in high school actually) and he started taking Propecia and gently massaging Rogaine on his receding hair line and eventually got a hair transplant. After all this time, I can safely say, although it doesn't look as full and amazing as the hair on top of my head, it's done a damn good job bringing back some sort of confidence in his life.

As for his lady situation? Well, he's not very good with the ladies so I can't really comment on how that's affected anything.

try finasteride/propecia and regaine

Detective Rust Cohle: "All the dick swagger you roll, you can't spot crazy pussy?"

As for the "shaved head" look, the key is muscle mass. It's hard to rock that shit when you're white and skinny.

I noticed my hair is thinning a bit on the crown of my head. My brother who is younger then me by two years already has a huge patch missing in that area. I am still going strong though (chalk it up to my diet, exercise and supplements). I will be hopping on the Rogaine bandwagon though. Do you apply that stuff all over your head or just in the areas where your hair is thinning?

Ish Gibbor

Quote: (09-01-2010 09:54 AM)IshGibbor Wrote:  

I noticed my hair is thinning a bit on the crown of my head. My brother who is younger then me by two years already has a huge patch missing in that area. I am still going strong though (chalk it up to my diet, exercise and supplements). I will be hopping on the Rogaine bandwagon though. Do you apply that stuff all over your head or just in the areas where your hair is thinning?

Ish Gibbor

There's enough in the standard dropper for your whole head, I'd just spend a little extra time massaging it into your problem area. Btw, Rogaine works best on the crown area, not as well on the hairline.