rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Washington State to remove 40,000 pieces of legislation of 'gender biased language

Washington State to remove 40,000 pieces of legislation of 'gender biased language

Washington state changed 40,000 word in it's legislation to make them gender neutral. I knew it was getting bad but this is just ridiculous; I Wonder how long until this catches on in other states.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

This week new laws will come into effect in Washington State to form the final piece of a six-year effort to rewrite all state laws using gender-neutral vocabulary.

The politically correct crusade will see terms such as 'fisherman', 'freshman' and even 'journeyman plumber' replaced with 'fisher', 'first-year-student' and 'journey-level plumber'.

Signalling an end to hundreds of years of accepted language, the move will now see the state's copious laws, including thousands of words and phrases re-written at tax-payers expense.

Fishers: Under new Washington State laws fishermen have now to be referred to as 'fishers'

Lawmakers have passed a series of bills since 2007 to root out gender bias from Washington statutes, though a 1983 state mandate required that all laws be written in gender-neutral terms unless a specification of gender was intended.

Indeed, the laws will change many words in use that date back to when women did not even work on police forces or the idea of a lady on a fishing boat was unheard of.

The measure approved by the Legislature this year mandated that references to 'his' be changed to 'his or her.' Other nouns like 'clergyman' must be changed to 'clergy.'

'This was a much larger effort than I had envisioned. Mankind means man and woman,' said Democratic state Senator Jeanne Kohl-Welles of Seattle when the law was passed in April.

Gender Neutral: This child will no longer learn penmanship - but instead will be taught handwriting according to new gender neutral Washington State law

The new gender-neutral references will now demand and enforce linguistically 'handwriting' in place of 'penmanship,' and 'signal operator' for 'signalman.'

'There's no good reason for keeping our legal terms anachronistic and with words that do not respect our current contemporary times,' Kohl-Welles, the 475-page bill's sponsor, told Reuters.

The state likely won't change the words 'airmen' and 'seaman,' for example, because of objections by the state's Washington Military Department, he said.

Civil engineering terms such as 'man hole' and 'man lock,' also will not be changed because no common-sense substitutes could easily be found, Thiessen said.

Nearly 3,500 Washington state code sections, out of a total of about 40,000 have been tediously scrubbed of gender bias, although most involve adding pronouns 'she' and 'her' to augment the existing 'he' and 'his,' Thiessen said.

The bill passed the Democrat-controlled state House 70-22 on April 9 and unanimously cleared the state Senate on February 8 before being signed by Democratic Governor Jay Inslee - and now past the end of the fiscal year on July 1st is now law.

Washington State's war on sexist language: Translation guide to gender neutral words...and some which survived
Fireman - Firefighter
Policeman - Police Officer
Ombudsman - Ombuds
Watchmen - Security Guards
Freshman - First-year students
Journeyman Plumber - Journey-level plumber
And some that are still okay to use....
Airmen
Seaman
Man Hole
Conman
Family Man

Crispin Thurlow, a sociolinguist and associate professor of language and communication at the University of Washington-Bothell praised the project in an interview with Fox News in April.

'Changing words can change what we think about the world around us,' he said. 'These tiny moments accrue and become big movements.'

However, some while maybe admirable, the project has thrown up some interesting questions for Kyle Thiessen.

While 'manhole' and 'manlock' are not easily replaced, it does not substitutes from being suggested.

Such as 'utility hole' and 'air lock serving as a decompression chamber for workers.' However, Thiessen said that these were left alone to avoid confusion.

Washington state is the nation's fourth to boast of eliminating gender bias from its official lexicon, following in the footsteps of Florida, North Carolina and Illinois, Kohl-Welles said.

Other states that have passed gender-neutral constitutional mandates include California, Hawaii, Maryland, New York, Rhode Island, Vermont and Utah, Kohl-Welles said. At least nine other states are currently considering gender-neutral legislation, she said.

'Words matter,' said Liz Watson, a National Women's Law Center senior adviser. 'This is important in changing hearts and minds.'

Clearly an excellent way to invest time and tax dollars with everything else we have going on. Splicing trivialities in our language so that no one gets offended.

Quote: (07-02-2013 11:20 PM)calidude Wrote:  

'Words matter,' said Liz Watson, a National Women's Law Center senior adviser. 'This is important in changing hearts and minds.'

Too bad the empirical support for the Sapir-Whorf Hypothesis has been weak, you bimbo.

But I suppose boring, yucky, cold things like empirical results don't touch people's hearts and feelings the way changing words like "Journeyman Plumber" to "Journey-level plumber" do.

#NoSingleMoms
#NoHymenNoDiamond
#DontWantDaughters

I don't have a problem with the language being neutral, but leave it at that. Don't change traditionally masculine labels to feminine. We shouldn't have firewomen, policewomen, journeywoman plumber,etc. When I first studied Spanish, I read a lesson that told me to say, "ellas" if it's 5 women, "ellos if it's 3 women and 2 men," and finally "ellos" even if it's 1,000,000 women and 1 man. Suck on that, linguists! hahaha

Just think of all the jobs this will create.. oooooooh boy!

These Gov'ts are structurally bankrupt all over here in North America, they have nothing else to do but spin their wheels with this type of fluff. If I had a bunch of coooky women clawing at my door to change legislative language I would ask them all to volunteer to change the records on their time and dime, then in the same day I would make a speech about how I want to create real jobs by investing in infrastructure and technology, I'd let the women play in their sandbox while putting real men to work building up are economy.

Its like most American States (Washington State) don't even have electronic health records and they are worrying about this shit. LOL! Get your priorities strait!

Quote: (07-02-2013 11:37 PM)RougeNoir Wrote:  

I don't have a problem with the language being neutral, but leave it at that.

I don't have a problem either with language being neutral per se, but there being an outcry to change language that refers to male-dominated occupations to be gender neutral in otherwise stagnant documentation just to appease people's hearts reflects the gigantic misplacement of priorities in this country.

And people like Liz Watson are probably wont to shriek about the lack of women in STEM fields too. Maybe it's because girls are too absorbed with hearts to concern themselves with boring things like numbers.

#NoSingleMoms
#NoHymenNoDiamond
#DontWantDaughters

And some that are still okay to use....
Airmen
Seaman
Man Hole
Conman
Family Man

-------------------

Of course women can't be conmen...the female sex could not partake in any form of fraud or deceit. They are the fair sex remember?

Unfortunately they fraud their way with vaginas, affirmative action, feminism , gallantry,''cisgender'' and womanese speak.

Women can't be family men too, they are the cause of most divorces in America! No such luck, they have to take into account their single motherhood, cock carouseling, abortion and spinsterhood.

American women of all races have caused the death of approximatively 50 millions of babies since 1973, the year the U.S Supreme Court allowed abortion to enter into nationwide legitimacy.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_many_babie...oe_v._Wade

I'd be looking at this very closely, making sure they didn't sneak in any other changes that might deprive your freedoms in some way.

Quote:Quote:

'There's no good reason for keeping our legal terms anachronistic and with words that do not respect our current contemporary times,' Kohl-Welles, the 475-page bill's sponsor, told Reuters.

Was there a good reason to change anything in the first place?

Quote:Quote:

Civil engineering terms such as 'man hole' and 'man lock,' also will not be changed because no common-sense substitutes could easily be found, Thiessen said.

Yes, no common sense to be found

Are they going to call it the Legislather?