rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

With dollar now gaining I should head to S. America in Nov

I don't like to be gone in a foreign country for more than a month tops. The most I ever did was about 3 weeks abroad, then I start getting really homesick and travel-weary, especially if I'm not staying in comfortable environments.

So I'm thinking maybe 3-4 weeks in S. America, but perhaps as little as 2.

So what would you recommend, spending say 2-3 weeks in Brazil and focusing on that country only checking out a couple different cities in detail, or doing more of a "sampler" whirlwind trip where I might take a month and make short visits in many countries, for example, fly into Rio, several days there, fly to Buenos Aires several days there, then Chile, then leave from La Paz, Bolivia only spending several days in each place.

I think there's pros and cons to both approaches.

Any suggestions?

And what about flexible plane tickets. It would be cool if I could buy a ticket but be able to change the date if I felt like staying longer without a huge as penalty/increase. I know I've got like 73,000 AAdvantage points for American Airlines, I might be able to fly for free, but they are so strict with giving out award trips.

Just as an aside, part of my motivation is just boredom. I'm 32, many of my friends have become homebodies or are married or in relationships and no longer go out. It's friday night, nobody wants to go out and I'm just ready for something exciting.

That's not really enough time for either place.

It takes at least 2 months to properly see brazil and about the same for argentina.

If you are determined to go for that short a time then just pick one country.

Quote: (10-12-2008 11:32 AM)Lumiere Wrote:  

That's not really enough time for either place.

It takes at least 2 months to properly see brazil and about the same for argentina.

If you are determined to go for that short a time then just pick one country.

Few people can get away for 2 months unless they work as teachers where they get the summer off. In 2001 I saw England, France, Spain and Holland in about 3 weeks. Couple years ago I saw Rome, Florence, Cinque Terra and Venice all in about 8 days. I think I've come to master the whirlwind vacation when necessary!

I wouldn't push more than one city every 7 days, especially big cities like rio and buenos aires. If you gave me 3-4 weeks right now i'd go to cordoba for 10 days and the rest somewhere in brazil.

There isn't much in chile. Bolivia has some new desert/mountain tours (google the uyuni salt flat).

Quote: (10-12-2008 10:22 PM)Roosh Wrote:  

I wouldn't push more than one city every 7 days, especially big cities like rio and buenos aires. If you gave me 3-4 weeks right now i'd go to cordoba for 10 days and the rest somewhere in brazil.

There isn't much in chile. Bolivia has some new desert/mountain tours (google the uyuni salt flat).

I've heard mixed reviews about Chile, but I do know a couple people that live in Santiago, so it would be a chance to get into the local scene. Chile looks very beautiful too from the pics I've seen. Glaciers, forests, deserts, wine country, valleys, coast.

I'd LOVE to see the Salar de Uyuni.