rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

What Are Your Favorite Restaurants?

What are ya'll's favorite joints to eat at?

Chain-wise, I like Chili's, Olive Garden & Wendy's. I sometimes go to Applebee's after 10 for the half-price appetizers.

Back when I was in undergrad, there was a great restaurant operated by two Lebanese brothers. Everything they had was money - gyros, burgers & chicken sandwiches. Brilliant stuff. Great hangover food. Even their salads were awesome.

In the town I am in now, a local bar has amazing food. Wings, nachos, burgers, sandwiches, spaghetti & pizza are all done extremely well. Very much college food but done well.

Since I am just graduating I haven't had much experience in higher-end restaurants - but hopefully that changes soon.

What restaurants do you like most?

Quote:Old Chinese Man Wrote:  
why you wonder how many man another man bang? why you care who bang who mr high school drama man

Before a Night Out:

-Aventine in Hwood
-Katsuya in Hwood
-Luna Cafe in South Bay for Italian
-Spumoni's in the Valley for Italian (small joint authentic as fuck)

On The Go:

One thing LA has is great Mexican shacks

-Mas Mexico Burritos
-Food trucks (can't think of names)
-Hot Wings Cafe (Hwood or Glendale)

Vegas:

-Sinatra @ The Wynn
-Comme Ca @ Cosmo
-STK @ Cosmo

I'll break out a data sheet soon on spots in LA and Vegas.

I just went to Fogo de Chao in Philly for my birthday. It's a Brazilian steakhouse where they just keep bringing you different cuts of steak and all sorts of other good shit. It's my new favorite place

Quote: (06-19-2013 04:41 PM)2Wycked Wrote:  

Chain-wise, I like Chili's, Olive Garden & Wendy's. I sometimes go to Applebee's after 10 for the half-price appetizers.

I always look for the best local dives while on the road, like Moochie's in SLC. But some places suck ass and it's easier to hit up chain places. Chili's is on top of my list. Plus these places are populated around hotels, and is great for logistics to run game on wayward bishes. Wendy's is my fav chain burger joint.

Back when I was in undergrad, there was a great restaurant operated by two Lebanese brothers. Everything they had was money - gyros, burgers & chicken sandwiches. Brilliant stuff. Great hangover food. Even their salads were awesome.

Mediterraneans know how to run a restaurant, Lebanese and Greeks being on top of the list. Turks get special mention as I ate a hundred dirty kebobs in England. Probably saw Deb Auchery working in one. In Kuwait the first place I hit up was the Lebanese restro's. A favorite is any well ran Greek diner. Everything on the menu is good.

Since I am just graduating I haven't had much experience in higher-end restaurants - but hopefully that changes soon.

Graduating in what, your 3rd PhD? [Image: whip.gif] Higher end places are usually overrated, and you pay for the name and ambiance. My rib eyes are better and a fraction of the cost. Fuck if I'm paying $20 extra for some sprig of exotic shit and snail semen drizzled on the plate.

In ATL, I tip my hat to Pappadeaux's. Awesome fresh seafood for being away from the coast, great date place, and good to swoop on weekends. As soon as you walk into the joint, head to the small bar on the left where everyone waits on their tables.

Pita Kitchen in Sherman Oaks. Bomb ass Mediterranean food, a valley institution.

Also for Mediterranean I love Gaby's. They had one right by the Venice Beach pier but it recently closed, sadly. They had a lemon creme mahi-mahi dish that I would drive down there just to get.

For Mexican, Las Fuentes in Reseda. As well as Tacos Arizas, a food truck in Ecco Park just off sunset. Best Mexican street food I've had in L.A. thus far. Melody's is another Mexican spot in Reseda right across from Las Fuentes. Best consume de pollo ever.

I like the Pig and Whistle on Hollywood Blvd. Would be a dope ambiance if they got rid of all those fucking big screen TVs. Monday at like 8-10 I think is half off anything on the menu.

There's a place simply called Thai BBQ in Studio City on Ventura Blvd. It's totally Americanized Thai, but I still like it.

That's all that comes to mind right now. I'm not really a big foodie/restaurant person that has a long list of fav places. Most nights I just whip up something simple and cheap at home to eat.

I've still yet to find a pizza in L.A. that I'm absolutely in love with.

I could go on forever.

New York City
21 Club
Balthazar
Benjamin Steakhouse
Eleven Madison Park***
Gotham Bar & Grill*

Barcelona
Evo*
Cinc Sentits*

Bangkok
Nahm

Las Vegas
Stripsteak
Aureole

Miami
Joe's Stone Crab

Ethnic ones. Also anything with good fish and chips.

I stay away from chains.

I only go to all you can eat seafood buffets where I can consume enough crab meat such that the cost would be higher getting the same amount of crab at the grocery store.

Quote: (06-19-2013 06:00 PM)BortimusPrime Wrote:  

I only go to all you can eat seafood buffets where I can consume enough crab meat such that the cost would be higher getting the same amount of crab at the grocery store.

I refuse to eat at buffets. I lose my appetite watching fat people make themselves sick sitting there for two hours, grunting at every bite, and complaining to management.

If fatness is a disease, then let buffets be the hospitals.

Quote: (06-19-2013 06:11 PM)Aliblahba Wrote:  

Quote: (06-19-2013 06:00 PM)BortimusPrime Wrote:  

I refuse to eat at buffets. I lose my appetite watching fat people make themselves sick sitting there for two hours, grunting at every bite, and complaining to management.

If fatness is a disease, then let buffets be the hospitals.

You have to bring an ipod and play "Baby Elephant Walk", then they're funny to watch.

I eat at a dump.

It's dirty and rundown and only lowlifes go there.

Prices are a third less than other places serving the same stuff and it's better quality.

Run by a Greek guy.

Indian Buffets. Skip on the bread and other filler, just eat the chicken and lamb. Best part of them is that since Indian food is too ethnic and SWPL for most buffet loving proles, its not as depressing. whene I go to Great American once a year for breakfast (only eat buffets in winter), all the lonely fat people weird me out, but most of the people there are black. Either black or old white, its real southern.

I only usually go out for food I can't make myself.

sushi (haven't found a good/cheap sushi joint where I am). I miss the cheapness and consistency of Vancouver sushi, you can get full as fuck for <$15
BBQ - theres a good place called memphis blues around here, as well as some other places which make good pulled pork (had great brisket at this place called chewies in Vancouver a while back)
pho

I can't stand getting generic food at a restaurant. I cringe every time I step foot in a joint that's menu reads "caesar salad, calamari, burger, sandwich, house salad, etc..."

Bad places:

Avoid healthy buffets at all costs. My ex gf used to bring me to one. I got a gift card to Souplantation also. These places serve salad, soup, bread, and pasta. All you can eat of filler for around 10 per plate. Doesn't taste good either.

Also, Urban Plates sucks. I should have known from the name. Too Hipster. I got a gift card, went in, walked out and gave the gift card away. I was afraid I would contract a case of Hipster if I ate the food. Rather get the runs.

Cool burger joints. You pay 8 bucks for a burger and there's a fucking waitress you are supposed to tip on top of that. Flat screens with sports but no sound so you can here the Classic (s)hits of the '70's, '80's and '90's blaring on the speakers. They say the beef is sustainable and humane all that crap. I'd rather have a cow that was murdered by the hillbillies in Deliverance if I could get a buck off the burger. The buns have all this variety but taste the same. The ketchup is fancy on the menu but tastes like Heinz.

El Pollo Loco. Dry chicken with low quality sides.

KFC. What happened? The chicken is always dry now. Would order a metric shitload of the coleslaw as my death row last meal though.

New York City:
The Counter - best casual burger joint, Times Square
Cafeteria - good 24 new-american food, Chelsea
Coppola’s - good mid-tier italian; amazing penne vodka, UWS
Toloach - great high-end mexican, Midtown West
Max Brenner - kitchy place based on chocolate - Union Square
Pom Frittes - dope fry shop - LES
Meatball Shop - gimmicky but good meatballs - WV & LES
Freddie & Peppers - my favorite pizza joint - UWS
I Coppi - cool garden out back
Siggy’s - nice health joint, Downtown Brooklyn
Zenkichi - authentic tokyo fare, Williamsburg
Blue Smoke - best wings, Battery Park City & Midtown
Mighty Quinn - best BBQ, LES
St. Anselm - $15 butcher stake, Williamsburg
2nd Ave Deli - best deli, Midtown East
Hummus & Co - best mediterranea in the city (also cheap), FiDi

Hong Kong:
Jershawn - fire indian, LKF
SushiOne - good deal on Sushi
Blue Smoke - great wings [don’t think its related to NYC joint], SoHo
Mr. Wongs - underground joint, low-key family style, Yau Ma Tei
Taco Truck - best mexican in town, Northpoint

San Diego:
Hazelwoods Deli - favorite restaurant in U.S.

Indianapolis: <---underrated food town
Shapiro’s - favorite deli in U.S., Downtown
Puccini’s - favorite pizza in U.S., Multiple locations
Parthenon - favorite greek in U.S., Northside
China Wok - favorite chinese in U.S., Northside

London:
Duck & Waffle - good local, City
Gryo joint @ corner of Myddleton St. & Garnault Pl. - best doner in the city, Angel

Berlin:
Wok-To-Walk - best casual asian in world (other locations worldwide), Zoogarten
Mustafas Gemüsekebap - best doner in Berlin, Kreuzberg
Ron Telesky - best pizza in europe, Kreuzberg
Burgermeister - interesting location, Kreuzberg

LA (West Side)

* Hillstone (used to be Houstons) - The Hawaiian rib eye is fantastic.
* Father's Office - world famous burger; the sweet potato fries are really good.
* Mercado - some of the best Mexican food anywhere
* Sugarfish - sushi
* R+D - I guess it'd be a "fusion" restaurant of some sort; good food and bar is good scene for cougars
* Izzy's Deli - huge menu and it's 24/7/365; a great place to get a patty melt or reuben when you're hungry late at night. (They do orders to-go, too.)

Burma Superstar in SFO. Actually anywhere that Burmese food is served. Has to be the most underrated cuisine in the world.

And I have to agree with Exactaking. High-end Indian buffets are pretty amazing.

I'm big on Italian, Mediterranean, and BBQ. I avoid chains as much as possible, save for regional ones. Some favorites of mine:

Dinosaur BBQ (Syracuse, NY): Best barbeque in the world.
Twin Trees (Syracuse, NY): Some of the best Italian outside of NYC. Go to the one in North Syracuse; the others are takeout franchises.
Whistle Pig (Niagara Falls, NY): Great kummelweck, a Buffalo/WNY specialty.
The Hofbrau (Albany, NY): Really good German, nice selection of imported beers.
The Silo (North Chicago): Nice decadent selection of deep dish pizzas.
Primanti Brothers (Pittsburgh): Worth checking out for their huge trucker sandwiches, which have everything---including the French fries---between the bread.
Bomber's (Madison, WI): Best cheese curds in Wisconsin. They have this weird gimmick where they give you free peanuts by "bombing" you with a bucket from overhead.
Portland Penny Diner (Portland, OR): Nice little hipsterish greasy spoon downtown.
Hickory Farms (Ames, IA): Like Cracker Barrel, but easier on your waistline and less expensive. Gigantic selection of menu items.

Quote: (06-19-2013 11:00 PM)AFspecOps Wrote:  

Burma Superstar in SFO. Actually anywhere that Burmese food is served. Has to be the most underrated cuisine in the world.

And I have to agree with Exactaking. High-end Indian buffets are pretty amazing.

that place is bomb (burma Superstar).

Whenever I talk about food with people, usually coworkers, they'll preface talking to me with, "Well, you might not like it since you're a CHEF and all..."

In reality most of them wouldn't be caught dead in some of the places where I eat.

In L.A. there's a place called Capitol Burger. It's an old school burger joint in a so-so area. If you look on Yelp you'll see some limp wristed homos talking about how it's in a sketchy area and to bring a knife and shit, but it's not nearly that bad.

Anyway it's cheap as hell and good too. They fry in beef tallow. I'm talking old school here. Real ice cream in the shakes. I live a few blocks away so the other day I took my girl there and we got two cheeseburgers, two orders of fries, for $7.20. I'm used to paying more than that for ONE burger at any one of the "upscale" burger places popping up. I like those places, but for special occasions.

Sanamluang is a dumpy little Thai noodle house open until 4 A.M. Great Pad Kee Mao.

Tons of great sushi in Little Tokyo. In L.A. expect to pay about 60-80 bucks per person for "good sushi" and $150+ for the top of the line sublime shit. Urasawa is nearly on the level of Ginza or Kyoto and currently runs $350 per person before drinks, tax, or tip. I go there about once a year and it's more than worth it.

For the L.A. cats, there's a Mexican place that opened downtown about 6 months ago called Casa La Dona. It's some of the best Mexican I've had in this city and I've had a lot. It's a little pricier than some places, but goddamn...I've been there twice and can't wait to go back. It's really good.

"...so I gave her an STD, and she STILL wanted to bang me."

TEAM NO APPS

TEAM PINK

How has In nice Out not been mentioned yet? Best fast food burger on the west coast.

-

If you are in Bangkok take a chick to this place for breakfast:

http://crepesnco.com/

It's near club Insomnia and sort of hidden. Great quiet spot to nurse a hangover. I don't think I've ever been there not hungover and with a chick.

-

Quote: (06-19-2013 11:35 PM)sylo Wrote:  

How has In nice Out not been mentioned yet? Best fast food burger on the west coast.

If you are in the L.A. area I recommend checking out this new up and coming burger chain called "The Habit", I think it's better than In-N-Out, but they have the same concept with fresh, never frozen ingredients, good thing about The Habit is you can get avocado on your burgers.

http://www.habitburger.com/charburger/

Some of the best spots I've tried in S.F.:

Osha Thai,

Aslam's Rasoi, Dosa (Indian)

Kokkari Estario (Greek)

Tin (Vietnamese)

Papalote (Mexican)

Mission Beach Cafe (gourmet breakfast)

Farmer Brown (soul food)

Cotogna (upscale Italian inspired)

In terms of genertic places

Wendys, In and out, Cracker Barrel, Chipolte/Qdoba, Mastros/Ocean Club

Game/red pill article links

"Chicks dig power, men dig beauty, eggs are expensive, sperm is cheap, men are expendable, women are perishable." - Heartiste

LA:
Baby Blues BBQ- prob my favorite overall in LA. Sides are out of this world.
Gjelina / GTA- Long waits so I usually just get stuff at GTA, especially breakfast
Bay Cities Italian Deli- Lasagna, Godmother, Meatball Subs
Mariscos Chente/Coni Seafood- shrimp dishes and cerviches are awesome
Kogi Taco Truck- Love their blackjack quesedilla
Leo's Taco Truck- Tacos are a buck each. sometimes I get like 10 of them.
Tito's Tacos- has to grow on you. gringo hardshell tacos..but its like crack to me now.
Guisado's- Best tacos in LA. stewed mostly. tortillas are out of this world dope.
Mariscos Gullen La Playaita- Next to Whole foods in venice. tiny SHACK and sketchy people...dope seafood cocktail and tacos.
Elite- Chinese...great dim sum.
Manhattan Beach Post- Love this place for shared plates.
R+D Kitchen- extremely solid chain. probably my fav burger in LA.
Road to Seoul Korean BBQ- all you can eat, but its still really solid. I could list several others here too.
Gumbo Pot at the Farmers Market- i like the nostalgia here and end up eating here most of the time.

Vegas
Jaleo- The secreto cut of iberico pork is freakin' amazing.
Holsteins- good ol' reliable burgers.
Bouchon- Love their salmon rilettes and fruit platters. their vanilla bean butter is also awesome.
Del Frisco Double Eagle- awesome steak + sides.
Lavo- I really like their kobe meatball and pretty solid pastas.
L'Atelier Joel Robuchon- they didn't have the langostines on the tasting menu when I went, so I guess I'll have to come back. Did have the Robuchon Potatos which were amazing...great use of foie gras in several of the dishes.