rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

91-Year-Old Sets Bench Press World Record
1-Year-Old Sets Bench Press World Record
Quote:Quote:

Comeback stories are common in the world of sports. We hear about players coming back from torn ACLs, broken bones and even personal trauma.

Rarely, however, do we hear about an athlete returning from pacemaker surgery.

That's what 91-year-old Sy Perlis overcame to set a new world record in the 90-and-over weightlifting class. The Surprise, Ariz., native recently competed at the National Push-Pull Bench Press and Dead Lift Championships, and his final hoist of 187.5-pounds was good for the record books.

Perlis, a World War II veteran who didn't start lifting until he was 60, dominated the 85-to-90 age group before transitioning into the 90-and-over class. He had to sit out last year after surgery to fix a hernia and implant a pacemaker. Now he works out five days a week.

“It gave me the opportunity to do something to test myself for one thing, and I didn’t have to run around to do it, as you would in some other sports,” Perlis told the Arizona Republic of weightlifting. "I got a lot of satisfaction out of it, and it made me feel good, and it was good for me."

Perlis' hobby hasn't just been beneficial for him, it's also motivated his wife.

"I always say if it weren't for my husband, I’d be at home watching TV and eating bonbons,” Joan Perlis, 69, told the Arizona Republic. “He’s my motivator. He makes me work out, too."

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/men-acti...rld-record

Guy has game! his wife is 22 years younger
91?

Guy looks 70.. And wife is a wall survivor at 69.

Lifting for life.
Inspiring
Quote: (06-16-2013 09:24 PM)Norset Wrote:  

91?

Guy looks 70.. And wife is a wall survivor at 69.

Lifting for life.

The Clincher:

Quote:Quote:

Perlis' hobby hasn't just been beneficial for him, it's also motivated his wife.

"I always say if it weren't for my husband, I’d be at home watching TV and eating bonbons,” Joan Perlis, 69, told the Arizona Republic. “He’s my motivator. He makes me work out, too."Perlis' hobby hasn't just been beneficial for him, it's also motivated his wife.

"I always say if it weren't for my husband, I’d be at home watching TV and eating bonbons,” Joan Perlis, 69, told the Arizona Republic. “He’s my motivator. He makes me work out, too."

Beyond All Seas

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe.
To be your own man is a hard business. If you try it, you'll be lonely often, and sometimes
frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." - Kipling
I love seein old cats still killin it. We've got a 73-year-old guy at my gym that has won the 70+ body building competition a few times since turning 70. He is seriously ripped like he's in his 20's, almost looks fake. And get this, he transitioned from running marathons into weight lifting flawlessly.
Seeing stuff like this make me shake my head at young able bodied guys in their 20's who get fat and become lazy slobs

Every single one of their excuses is invalid.
He fought in WW2 and survived. Now he lifts weights at 90+. Men from that generation are cut from a different cloth.
The man looks good for his age, fuck. Twenty years younger easily. Although I got to say, I know some World War II vets and they all impress me.

I'm obsessed with longevity science, and based upon precedent he'll live to 100 and likely a bit beyond. People like this will be hale and hearty until their final years. It's like the French woman Jeanne Calment who lived 122 years, and rode her bike until she was 100. Yeah she was a blind invalid when she died, but she was active much longer than most people are blessed to live.

The bottom line for this strongman is that he's still healthy as fuck, so he's got some years left, hence he's likely to reach the hundred year mark. Most importantly, his wife is much younger and hell looks pretty good for her age. Any man over 90 who still happily fucks his wife is a winner.
Damn, both of them look great [Image: thumb.gif]
Quote: (06-17-2013 12:06 AM)kinjutsu Wrote:  

Seeing stuff like this make me shake my head at young able bodied guys in their 20's who get fat and become lazy slobs

Every single one of their excuses is invalid.
He fought in WW2 and survived. Now he lifts weights at 90+. Men from that generation are cut from a different cloth.

So you mean to imply that there won't be outliers like him 60 - 70 years from now?

To be honest, while I agree their are a lot of lazy people today (myself included), I'd still be willing to bet this particular phenomenon will be more common with our generation than it is with his.

Beyond All Seas

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe.
To be your own man is a hard business. If you try it, you'll be lonely often, and sometimes
frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." - Kipling
There is survival bias of course. The WW2 vets you meet in the last decade and who aren't invalids are gonna be healthy; if they were sick you'd not see them around.

But the diet + possibly hard farm work these cats got from 0-18 lays the foundation for a strong body. Some paper I read on this claimed that people who grew up in Victorian England on the countryside were the healthiest people to ever walk the earth; cross section of plenty (but not back breaking) manual labor, walking, sun, good diet, and improvements in health care (mostly related to the reduction in spread of infectious disease). Cancer was extremely rare.

I believe it.
"Muscles are the engine of youth" - Ken Wilber

"Make a little music everyday 'til you die"

Voice teacher here. If you ever need help with singing, speech and diction, accent improvement/reduction, I'm your man.
I'm getting outbenched by grandpa, I feel like my dick just shrunk.
@Beyond borders My grandfather served in the British navy during WW2. Up until he died he still gave me the sense that he had enough to whop my ass on any day of the week.
My father who just retired form the navy is very similar as well. He's 6'4 230lbs. At 63 yrs old he looks 49-52. No grey hairs. Zero tolerance for pussy shit from me and my brother.

Adult males these days are too soft. You have all these faux bad boy's looking tough with tattoo's and haircuts but they would wilt like a fucking daisy if they ever met a dude like this in his prime.

Bitchassness is too prevalent in our society. So much in fact it's celebrated.
This thread got me doing reps for Jesus.

"I have refused to wear a condom all of my life, for a simple reason – if I’m going to masturbate into a balloon why would I need a woman?"
Quote: (06-17-2013 10:11 PM)kinjutsu Wrote:  

@Beyond borders My grandfather served in the British navy during WW2. Up until he died he still gave me the sense that he had enough to whop my ass on any day of the week.
My father who just retired form the navy is very similar as well. He's 6'4 230lbs. At 63 yrs old he looks 49-52. No grey hairs. Zero tolerance for pussy shit from me and my brother.

Adult males these days are too soft. You have all these faux bad boy's looking tough with tattoo's and haircuts but they would wilt like a fucking daisy if they ever met a dude like this in his prime.

Bitchassness is too prevalent in our society. So much in fact it's celebrated.

I feel like you're probably right, but...

1) I just don't know that I'd use weightlifting as a way to measure that kind of masculinity.

People are more obsessive these days, I think, and plenty of guys are absolutely insane about health. Plenty of outliers like this guy will be around in our later years too. Due to the scientific approach a lot of these guys take, with the same level of intensity, I think it's safe to say that even more will be around.

2) We tend to leave old records in the dust, and even as our majorities get weaker, our minorities get stronger. Just like sprinters would look at how fast guys were running in the Olympics at that time and scoff.

3) You can bet there are some tough ass boys like that in our military today too, and they will similarly scare the shit out of their grand-kids some day.

You can't compare hardened alpha males to an entire generation and consider it apples to apples.

Beyond All Seas