rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Castle's "Headhunter" Episode: Why Being Alpha Is Contextual

Overview of the show is here. After writing that piece, I decided to watch one more Castle episode before passing out. Turns out, the episode had so much going on in it. Castle pulling away from Beckett, Castle pairing up with a rogue cop and Castle's delusions that everybody has to have some good in them.

Breakdown Of The Epidsode "Headhunter"

[Image: BTS-499376786063633448.jpg]

In this episode, Castle explains to his mother that him & Beckett are drifting apart. This happens every season, probably to keep female viewers on edge, but anyways understand they have stopped working together on cases together. Castle's interest was piqued in a recent unsolved murder case involving severed heads. Castle pays a visit to Beckett who is very warm towards him and clearly displays a serious level of interest. When Castle begins to talk about the case, she senses that is the reason he came by and leaves him cold.

Castle teams up with a rogue cop named Slaughter portrayed by Adam Baldwin. He has a bad reputation and is nicknamed "The Widowmaker" because he has four dead cop partners. From the outset, it is vinegar and water between the two. Castle is quirky, cerebral & well-dressed. Slaughter is scruffy, straightforward and brash.

I won't break the rest of the episode down, but let's talk about the ending to the episode. Slaughter gained the information on the gang they are targeting by locking a man into his trunk, driving around recklessly and spinning donuts. He then threatens the man that his brother locked up in Texas will have some serious problems if he doesn't cave and nark.

Slaughter & Castle go the gang hideout, where they are severely outnumbered. The gang senses this and proceeds to attack them just as Castle's detective friends show up & prevent their deaths. They knew how reckless Slaughter was & had a hunch he would go rogue thinking he could take out the gang himself.

The Three Characters In The Episode

[Image: Castle-Headhunters-Season-4-Episode-21-550x366.jpg]

From the outset, Slaughter controlled the frame. Castle asked Slaughter if he could work with him. Slaughter indifferently replied he only works with who he is assigned. Castle them asks him what it would take to change his mind. He demands Castle's nice leather jacket. Slaughter takes it and leaves. Castle runs after him saying we had a deal - Slaughter says we nothing of the sort. Castle then plays his trump card, saying he can get Slaughter a favor from the mayor - Slaughter agrees then.

The relationship continues in this vein. Castle pretends his detective friends will do anything for him - they hate Slaughter & only help Castle if he uses his wealth & connections to benefit them - like Knicks tickets. Slaughter constantly tests Castle's frame and Castle usually fails. Once, Slaughter commented on "that new hot red-head intern" he would love to fuck. Castle decks him as that red-head is his teenage daughter. Slaughter gains some respect for Castle for that, but still knows he is in control of the relationship.

As for Beckett, she clearly is jealous. A scene with a shrink (isn't funny how many modern shows have brief scenes with shrinks?) show her talking about how angry she is with Castle. She is jealous that Castle isn't working with her. The predictable part is it reveals that she has been repressing feelings for Castle because she wasn't ready to admit her feelings.

Let me discuss this quickly, as this is one of the most mindless "realizations" women have. First, is it IS real - it just isn't ANYWHERE as prevalent as women pretend it to be. In this show, it is more plausible that Beckett was doing this; however, given much of Castle's behavior is beta, it isn't probable. I suppose we should consider Castle's fame, wealth and style - well-dressed with a deep, masculine voice. However, I'm not sold on it.

However, let's bring this back round so I can move into the meat of the post. Castle does not have good frame with either Slaughter or Beckett. He inadvertently triggers jealousy in Beckett, which is good, but is seen in later episodes, he doesn't use to his advantage.

Contextual Alphas: Castle & Slaughter

This episode places two men of incredibly life-arcs together as a temporary partnership. As we see in the episode, what defines alphahood is highly contextual and is often based on class issues and adherence to social values, mores & laws.

[Image: brad-pitt-05.jpg]

The term "alpha" is imprecise and often has differing means to different people. I tend to the use the term to describe men who are attractive to women, but that could be criticized as implying women decide who alphas are and that would be a fair criticism. However, the fundamental issue with alphahood is that it is supremely contextual and turns on power in a given situation.

I suppose a working definition for an "alpha" is a man, in his life, generally exerts power over his surroundings instead of power being exerted over him. I was going to discuss T’s posts at therawness.com about “The Myth Of The Middle Class Alpha Male,” but that is another post for another day as it became its own post. Let’s just discuss this episode, my experiences in life & how power (alphahood) shifts based on context.

It “Headhunters,” the social alpha, Castle, is confronted with different type of alpha in rogue cop Slaughter. Slaughter is crass, forward and constantly testing other’s boundaries. Castle, despite his beta behavior towards Beckett, is still fairly self-assured and clearly is used to wealth & the privileges it affords. Castle isn’t used to the sort of behavior Slaughter displays as such behavior would not be tolerated in his social circles. In Slaughter’s world, it the sort of behavior that is common and keeps you from being played, used or stomped out.

In this situation, Castle is clearly the qualifying person. He isn’t in power. While the female fantasy of power over the male is in full effect as Beckett is usually the one educating/protecting Castle as she is the tough cop, here the qualification is complete and Castle is seeking Slaughter’s approval. His lack of dealing with this sort of man is painfully obvious. Slaughter senses it – and since he isn’t a complete asshole – mostly plays with him while exploiting his naivete in order to get away with serious violations of the law.

Context for power & alphahood is crucial. You may be able to dominate in X field or situation but it doesn’t mean you will in Y field or situation. The savviest of alphas understand their limitations & are savvy enough to avoid exposure to the parts of the world where they will not have power in. Less savvy alphas, like Castle, jump into situations where their power will not translate. Women swooning over you at a book signing – that’s alpha. The same book writer dumped off in the standoff with a Mexican gang - was that beta?

Power is contextual. Power isn’t created equal. You might be a powerful businessman and stack paper to the ceiling, have the best lawyers on speed-dial and bend powerful politician’s ears, but more powerful men will exist – and are up & coming. You might be a successful, powerful lawyer, but would pale in comparison to that businessman. To the regular person, they are both highly privileged and powerful, but that reinforces the hierarchal nature of power.

Back on point, context is crucial for power. Hooking up with women in your wider social circle works because you are more comfortable – confident – in your social circle, you get approved of by others and that helps your contextual power. Toss you in a random bar in Boston? Might be a different story.

[Image: photo_1828_carousel.jpg]

I grew up in a poor village in rural America. I eventually attended an elite law school. I have seen just about it all: prissy-ass rich girls whose most traumatizing life experience was finals during 1L year, poorer than dirt white girls who worked under the table from age 12 to help their family. I have close friends whose families are on welfare, others who are the 1%. I have seen power being exerted in many, many different contexts.

Take Castle. He is a rich, famous and has good social skills. His power isn’t as contextual as Slaughter’s but is completely foreign to the world of Slaughter. If you dropped off Castle in my hometown, he would surely get women who have read and loved his books; he would get men who would also like his writing. But at the local bar? Have fun, big guy. He will get stared down, not only as a foreigner but as a pretty city boy. Your social refinement will not translate to a country bar. Charisma may be able to change that, but Castle isn’t the most charismatic person. It will be an uncomfortable situation that could only be alleviated by a female or some females defending him. If no women do, he would be best advised to leave.

Slaughter, however, would fit right in. He would go to the bar, sit down with no hesitation and order a Bud Light. He will get tested by the local men, but would most likely pass them and riff about tangling with criminals, beating the shit out of assholes and general bullshit. There would be a very good chance egos would clash with at least one guy and they would get into a drunken fight. In this world, that is the way. Sure, they may fight but could end up at the same bar, in the same seat, shooting the shit until it escalates again.

Toss Castle & Slaughter into a party thrown by a rich socialite in Chicago? Castle will probably do very well, while Slaughter will probably not do all that well.

Such is the nature of power & alphahood. However, I haven't considered masculinity purely as an idea. That is because I am not completely sure of it's relationship to power. I have an inkling that it relates to power over oneself more than anything else, but I will leave that topic for another day.

Conclusion

"Headhunters" was an episode that really showed off how contextual power is and, as such, alphahood is.

The best way to conceive of "alpha" is through the lens of power. Power over oneself is very important, as is the ability to manipulate the world around you - people (women!), situations and general politicking.

Some aspects of power can be fairly universal, such as wealth & fame, but others are more contextual. Like anything else, if you want to claim power in any arena, you should understand it so you realize the nuances of power that are presented therein.

Being an alpha or alphahood is widely misunderstood. While definitions can vary, power has to always be in the conversation. Castle & Slaughter are very different men & represent power in contrasting ways, but also highlight the fact that being an alpha is often contextual.

Quote:Old Chinese Man Wrote:  
why you wonder how many man another man bang? why you care who bang who mr high school drama man

Any thoughts on my contextual alpha hypothesis?

Quote:Old Chinese Man Wrote:  
why you wonder how many man another man bang? why you care who bang who mr high school drama man

I agree that alpha is contextual.

I am an Alpha on the battlefield. I've been proven to be a capable leader and have calmly assessed and made the 'right' calls during dangerous and precarious situations. I've successfully navigated my way around and through danger in combat zones

Back on the streets, at home? I'm probably an Omega. I have maybe one other person I can relate to and see on a regular basis, my friend Jason who is a forklift mechanic covered in White Power and blue collar working class tattoos. He also a high school drop out. I don't have a place of my own. I swing from my room in the barracks to my Mom's house at the age of 27. I have a simple, but respectable wardrobe of clothing I've been wearing for years. I don't have any higher education. I have less than 2,000 dollars saved in my bank account. I don't care about Facebook or having a social circle. I don't care about having a 'respectable' cubicle monkey job. You can make a convincing argument that I may have a slight drinking problem.

I have almost no considerable 'power' in the regular world, unless I decide to mug you or kill you, but I generally obey the rules despite my disdain for chaining up my more primal, baser urges. Yet, if someone starts shooting up the joint I'm in, or we're magically transported into a war zone you should shut the fuck up and do what I say if you want the slightest chance of lliving.

Quote: (06-17-2013 02:18 AM)2Wycked Wrote:  

Any thoughts on my contextual alpha hypothesis?

It's definitely true, but it's not immediately useful.

And from a game perspective, the leader of men, the leader of the community/society/group isn't necessarily the leader of women.

Going back to the tribe theory of pick up, it is true that the Chief has a harem. But it is also true that some of the Chief's children are those of the Shaman. If we take hypergamy to be true, the Senator's wife might get her jollies from the Cabana boy. She is allowed to flit from power structure to power structure based on her whims.

The other thing to be mindful of, is that you can't be everything, can't be alpha in all situations. Even a bodybuilder governor can get waylaid by some sneaky reporters.

WIA

Everything is contextual.

You might be the alpha male in some people's eyes, 'cause you bang women, work out, don't take shit from your average joe, and speak your mind, but none of that means anything to the people that have the real power. Should they decide to exercise that power, you better believe you aren't going to be the alpha male in that situation anymore.

No matter what you do, you will always be some governments bitch - and it's pretty damn hard to avoid that. How's that sound? No matter how much power you have; over yourself, the people around you, women, anything; at the whim of some jury, you could have all of that taken away, just because you did something society doesn't agree with.

The only thing you can do is ignore it for as long as you can, or fight back (which is not likely to work particularly well unless you have $trillions and millions of soldiers at your disposal).

Imagine if a huge quantity of RVF members or something all became politicians, and just ripped the world a new one...