rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Giardiasis is Not Fun

Giardiasis is Not Fun

Hey guys, so I'm in China and I've been throwing up all these past 3 days and exploding on the toliet with watery stools. I'm also getting these really foul smelling burps (like rotten egg).
There is also either constant stomach bloating or just cramp-like stomach pain. I have also gotten chills and fevers coming and going recently. Life is living hell right now. Anything I eat just makes it worse and I've really lost most of my appetite. Checking online, my symptoms seem spot-on for Giardiasis and I've purchased Metronidazole for treatment as well as Imodium to try and stop the diarrhea.

Is my self-diagnosis/treatment a bad idea? Should I go to a doctor to confirm if I actually have it and not something else or...? I really don't trust Chinese hospitals or Chinese medical methods all that much so I'm not really a big fan of going.

Giardiasis is Not Fun

athletes like usain bolt ate mcdonalds during the 2008 olympics because it was the healthiest food in terms of having the lowest odds of making them sick.

Giardiasis is Not Fun

Could be anything from food poisoning to a stomach virus. Those symptoms can be caused by a lot of things. Just go to a doctor, dude. Trying to diagnose yourself isn't the smartest idea.

I would also say taking anti-diarrhea med is not a good idea when you are sick. Your body is trying to purge that crap out. When you take Imodium you are just plugging yourself up and stopping the body's natural purging process to rid your intestine of those toxins. I just came back from Mexico and had Montezuma's for a week, my stomach still isn't right. I avoided taking any of that until the last day when I had to fly home as I didn't want to have to run to the plane's toilet every 20 minutes to take a shit.

Giardiasis is Not Fun

Yeah, 2nd that, get to a doctor NOW, any kind of western medicine practice. You need lab work for electrolytes and CBC. Don't take imodium when you don't know what's going on.

When they talk about the internet killing people, they're talking about people like you.

Giardiasis is Not Fun

Quote: (06-07-2013 02:31 AM)Que enspastic Wrote:  

athletes like usain bolt ate mcdonalds during the 2008 olympics because it was the healthiest food in terms of having the lowest odds of making them sick.

Can you link to an interview with Bolt where he says that? It's a very interesting theory.

"Imagine" by HCE | Hitler reacts to Battle of Montreal | An alternative use for squid that has never crossed your mind before

Giardiasis is Not Fun

What city are you in? If you are in big city there will be several western style medical clinics with western doctors. They will probably even take insurance if you have it.

Giardiasis is Not Fun

I'm in Nanning which is kind of a tier 2 or even tier 3 city so I'm not sure about the hospitals. But yeah, I guess I'll go check it out tomorrow.

Giardiasis is Not Fun

If it doesn't get better within the day go to the doctor.

Also cram down as much Gatorade/vitamin water as you can stomach you're probably super dehydrated

Giardiasis is Not Fun

More likely you have gastroenteritis from salmonella.Try ciprofloxacin.

Giardiasis is Not Fun

Get ready to be handed wild amounts of tiny pills when one could do the job. Just the way it is.
Fortunately most pharmacies will sell you antibiotics without a script, not a big deal.

Also, I know the feeling man, China is grimy. hang in there, and eat yogurt when you get better to get the good fauna back.

Giardiasis is Not Fun

Go and see a Doctor..you've probably got dysentery.

Giardiasis is Not Fun

Quote: (06-07-2013 03:27 PM)Fortitudinal Wrote:  

Get ready to be handed wild amounts of tiny pills when one could do the job. Just the way it is.
Fortunately most pharmacies will sell you antibiotics without a script, not a big deal.

Also, I know the feeling man, China is grimy. hang in there, and eat yogurt when you get better to get the good fauna back.

Haha very true. My friend catched a semi-serious could when we were in Beijing. We went to the pharmacy and they recommended like 2 boxes of 10 pills each. You have to take like around 3 at the same time every 7 hours or so.

Funny thing is, apparently they really did work.