rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Parents Posting Pics of Kids in the Hospital on Facebook

Kind of just a rant but Google Glasses is still in testing and yet it seems people are already walking around with their phones attached to their faces. It always blows my mind when I see this - people, especially moms, plastering pics of their kid in the hospital on Facebook.

Put down your damn phone and go BE with your kid already. LIFE is happening around you.

I simply cannot fathom the thinking of a parent whose impulse while sitting in a hospital is to shove a camera in their kid's face. Or, if they had the impulse, why they would think it's responsible parenting to act on it...

It used to be that kids got embarrassed when their parents showed the baby pics to their friends. Now they're putting every single moment of their lives online so their friends can "like" it. Don't even get me started on the privacy and safety concerns of such stupidity.

Beyond All Seas

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe.
To be your own man is a hard business. If you try it, you'll be lonely often, and sometimes
frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." - Kipling

There's a reason why surgery recoveries have never been included in family photo-taking occasions so far. It's ugly and most people just want to forget it, particularly if there was major pain or embarrassment involved. It takes a special kind of narcissism to do this.

"Imagine" by HCE | Hitler reacts to Battle of Montreal | An alternative use for squid that has never crossed your mind before

Let's not forget that Facebook owns that content once you upload it. They are simply using stupid parents to categorize and prep future FB users whom by the time they are 12 and make a profile will already have a complete and robust avatar on-line via their parents.

Any smart parent does not put thier kids on FB. Even smarter of they delete thier profile all together once they become parents. If people want pics they can send a email and ask for them. Simple.

On my unit (adolescent psych), we had to come down on a patient's parents for making a slideshow of her kids struggle with an eating disorder. Because of how youtube links related videos, people looking for an insipiring story would at the end get a link to a lot of ED-activating stuff.

Also, it goes against our no cel phone policy on the unit for patients and visitors. Teens are blown away when we tell em they can't have their phones on the unit.

I said this years ago: there's going to be a whole generation of people whose entire life from literally when they are just born to their death is going to be chronicled on Facebook. If society gets anymore shameless we'll probably move one step back earlier and start chronicling people's lives from conception.

I had to get a friends wife to take down some photos of him after he was involved in a workplace explosion.

I could not believe she would put up photos of him, unconscious, face messed up, tubes in him laying in a hospital bed. He doesnt even have FB, yet there was a bunch of photos of him lying at his most vulnerable.

Some people just have no clue.

Quote: (05-24-2013 11:45 AM)Wutang Wrote:  

I said this years ago: there's going to be a whole generation of people whose entire life from literally when they are just born to their death is going to be chronicled on Facebook. If society gets anymore shameless we'll probably move one step back earlier and start chronicling people's lives from conception.

Yep. I just saw an app aimed at monitoring your baby's heart rate and other health indicators. The aim is "to reduce stress on the parent and prevent it from negatively affecting development", but the primary feature is creating a graph of your 5-month old child's heartbeat and automatically sharing it on Instagram and Facebook.

"Imagine" by HCE | Hitler reacts to Battle of Montreal | An alternative use for squid that has never crossed your mind before

Quote: (05-24-2013 11:56 AM)Laner Wrote:  

I had to get a friends wife to take down some photos of him after he was involved in a workplace explosion.

I could not believe she would put up photos of him, unconscious, face messed up, tubes in him laying in a hospital bed. He doesnt even have FB, yet there was a bunch of photos of him lying at his most vulnerable.

Some people just have no clue.

Good looking out for your buddy.

Beyond All Seas

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe.
To be your own man is a hard business. If you try it, you'll be lonely often, and sometimes
frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." - Kipling