rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Creating and Maintaining an Attractive Lifestyle as a Business Owner

“Where would you live in the U.S. if money wasn’t too much of an issue and you wanted a balance of nice weather, young attractive women, nice downtown area or good local bars and restaurants within a 15-20 minute cab ride or less, reasonable driving distance to the beach, while still being at least 45 minutes from any notorious party cities? Where could you live, work, and play with a high level of satisfaction without taking a huge risk of losing it all?" Please also explain what you specifically liked about the place, and the actual part of the city where you would live.

I am partial to the East Coast over the West because most of my clients are Eastern, which means that I wouldn’t have to wake up at 6 am Pacific for a 10 am Eastern business call. Also, I'm way more attracted to brunettes than blondes and want to be closer to South America for my first trip later this year.

Even though I have never been, it seems that Ft. Lauderdale or any of the Southern coastal cities in Florida would fit my criteria. Plus I would save like $14K a year without having to pay state income tax.

I want this to be a resource for everyone that is in a similar situation, so post your #1 city choice overall based on the criteria. It doesn't matter if you only visited the city briefly and just had a good feeling for the setup, tell us what you liked about the area. Guys that have lived in places like Florida, Louisiana, California, Texas, etc., for a long time, please go into more detail. Feel free to share your story as well if you've been through this type of situation.

where to live huh?

id try to find a medium sized nice town within 30min - 1 hr drive of a big city and beach. if you dont mind the heat and humidity of florida id look there first, then southern cali.

as you mentioned ft. lauderdale would be good i think.

Miami
San Diego - LA
quiet as kept - DC/MD/Ocean City...although DC has it's fair share of plain janes, city still has a quite a few stunners....only thing is that Ocean City-Dewey - Rehoboth ain't no 15 minutes away....

I'll chime in on this one. I currently live in Austin TX, a city that has been getting a lot of pub over
the last few years in terms of up-and-coming cities, especially for singles. I like living here a lot!

Pros:

- Vibrant party scene with lots of nightlife options.
- Vibrant coffee shop culture that promotes the "stay and hang out" mentality.
- TONS of young beautiful women. Lots have moved in from other cities and lots are homegrown and either graduated or attend one of the local Universities (UT Austin, Tx State, St. Edwards, ACC)
- High turn over for the women. Relates to the University thing and the general transient-ness (is that a word?) of the city.
- It's a good place to stay and hang for a while to get your financial shit in order while still being able to go out and be social. If you come here and you can't meet your goals as far as saving, you're doing something very wrong.
- Very good opportunities for making money, especially if you are in IT.
- The people here are second-to-none in terms of friendliness and warmth.
- It is very easy to stand out by having a good fashion sense and good grooming habits as the fellas here seem to take the laid back thing a little too far. A lot of times you'll see guys in nice bars and upscale establishments wearing t-shirts and flip-flops.
- It's a very fitness oriented city, which motivates you to keep yourself in shape and exercise.

Cons:

- Police state. It won't take long for you to notice that the cops here are not to be messed with. Thurs-Sun. on 6th street they patrol on horseback and will not hesitate to fuck your world up. They recently passed a "no refusal" policy that says that they have the right to draw blood from you if they suspect that you are drunk and you refuse a breathalyzer test. (on a positive note, it makes you develop some type of self-control and moderate your party habits, which sounds like something you are trying to work on)
- Although the women are definitely beautiful, you will run into to a lot that for some reason or another, can't seem to keep your attention. Sometimes it's a lack of culture outside of Texas, sometimes they rely too much on looks alone and have bland personalities, and other times its just general neediness that gets annoying after the 10th txt message or so in the span of a day. Now this isn't completely bad as racking up a big notch count is very achievable if you have your shit together. Its just bad in that if you don't have a good screening process, you will by default end up developing a good "getting them the fuck out of your life" process. And from reading the forum posts, this doesn't sound like something that is necessarily specific to Austin.
- From about June til the end of Sept. 100+ degree days are more common than not. The heat is very different than that of say, Florida which seems to be much more bearable. It's a dry heat that beats down on you and makes you not want to be outdoors between the hours of 12 noon - 7pm.
- No beaches within a 5 hour radius. There are lakes and other waterways around but often times you need a boat of some sort to take advantage.
(on another positive note, you do have one of the best airports that I've ever flown out of with service to almost anywhere. You can show up to the Austin airport 30 mins before your flight and still have plenty of time.)

Thats about all I can think of for now. Good luck making your decision man!

Yeah...Austin is a great city for the 20-30 something crowd...I got family that live near Round Rock/Georgetown..I may have to do a future quick write up...

Women are nice/beautiful/ and will make you wanna get married because they blow those self absorbed DC bitches away...I was very impressed with Texas culture and if it wasn't for the fact that if i travel 20 mins outside city limits I would be ganked by a swat team of rednecks I would move. Joesea is absolutely right about the police...they do not play. I would not be surprised to see chuck norris come out the squad car and whoop ass...Many of Texas famous athletes have been arrested in the bars, driving thru the streets, or out on the lakes. You gotta understand texas treats its athletes like gods and the police still treat em like shit. So you can guess whats gonna happen to you...

Only cons to add..
A ton of cash rolling around...if you ain't rocking a bmw, benz, lexus, etc than you ain't shit. California culture is slowly invading as those fuckers leave the state they ruined for Texas cheap living....

SXSW is officially ruined...it used to be about something (music-inspiring artist), now it's just a corporate brainwashing event for tech companies.....nice post Josea and spot on...

Quote: (07-23-2010 01:29 PM)JoeSea Wrote:  

I'll chime in on this one. I currently live in Austin TX, a city that has been getting a lot of pub over
the last few years in terms of up-and-coming cities, especially for singles. I like living here a lot!

Pros:

- Vibrant party scene with lots of nightlife options.
- Vibrant coffee shop culture that promotes the "stay and hang out" mentality.
- TONS of young beautiful women. Lots have moved in from other cities and lots are homegrown and either graduated or attend one of the local Universities (UT Austin, Tx State, St. Edwards, ACC)
- High turn over for the women. Relates to the University thing and the general transient-ness (is that a word?) of the city.
- It's a good place to stay and hang for a while to get your financial shit in order while still being able to go out and be social. If you come here and you can't meet your goals as far as saving, you're doing something very wrong.
- Very good opportunities for making money, especially if you are in IT.
- The people here are second-to-none in terms of friendliness and warmth.
- It is very easy to stand out by having a good fashion sense and good grooming habits as the fellas here seem to take the laid back thing a little too far. A lot of times you'll see guys in nice bars and upscale establishments wearing t-shirts and flip-flops.
- It's a very fitness oriented city, which motivates you to keep yourself in shape and exercise.

Cons:

- Police state. It won't take long for you to notice that the cops here are not to be messed with. Thurs-Sun. on 6th street they patrol on horseback and will not hesitate to fuck your world up. They recently passed a "no refusal" policy that says that they have the right to draw blood from you if they suspect that you are drunk and you refuse a breathalyzer test. (on a positive note, it makes you develop some type of self-control and moderate your party habits, which sounds like something you are trying to work on)
- Although the women are definitely beautiful, you will run into to a lot that for some reason or another, can't seem to keep your attention. Sometimes it's a lack of culture outside of Texas, sometimes they rely too much on looks alone and have bland personalities, and other times its just general neediness that gets annoying after the 10th txt message or so in the span of a day. Now this isn't completely bad as racking up a big notch count is very achievable if you have your shit together. Its just bad in that if you don't have a good screening process, you will by default end up developing a good "getting them the fuck out of your life" process. And from reading the forum posts, this doesn't sound like something that is necessarily specific to Austin.
- From about June til the end of Sept. 100+ degree days are more common than not. The heat is very different than that of say, Florida which seems to be much more bearable. It's a dry heat that beats down on you and makes you not want to be outdoors between the hours of 12 noon - 7pm.
- No beaches within a 5 hour radius. There are lakes and other waterways around but often times you need a boat of some sort to take advantage.
(on another positive note, you do have one of the best airports that I've ever flown out of with service to almost anywhere. You can show up to the Austin airport 30 mins before your flight and still have plenty of time.)

Thats about all I can think of for now. Good luck making your decision man!

Great info. I was hoping that someone would talk more about Texas.

My interest in Texas has definitely increased over the last year due to many similar comments about the women and nightlife. Guys tend to say that the women are more genuine than other places and they are still really attractive, but sometimes less interesting. Basically the charm of the South with better education. I also hear that Austin is full of mostly college aged people, which would be a nice change. It's hard to argue with a city with an abundance of educated, down to earth, young ladies.

One thing that caught my eye was your statement that the weather is better in Florida. I get your point about scorching summers, but some might argue that the humidity in Miami is worse. Either way, I plan to work during the day and only head out after 6 pm and of course on weekends.

A couple questions, "What does the typical Austin, TX girl look like?" I realize this is generalizing but the stereotype in my mind is blonde hair, big tits, slightly thicker than average, and educated but still feminine. Is there a large diversity of women or do the stereotypes hold true?

Also, I have zero interest in football and basketball. I just cannot get into most spectator sports. I do enjoy watching boxing, MMA fights, and poker. I would like to be more surrounded with people that have similar interests like: traveling, business, self-improvement, etc. I'm not looking for women to be any different than what they are, so its more about having to listen to drunk guys yelling at the TV in every bar. Is the sports culture to the point of being obnoxious? Will a non-fanatic fit in? Lastly, have you lived in any other areas of Texas that have better access to beaches, like Houston? As you can tell, I have never been to Texas, but it is definitely a contender at this point. Even more so if I can get easier access to some decent beaches.

Quote:Quote:

I was very impressed with Texas culture and if it wasn't for the fact that if i travel 20 mins outside city limits I would be ganked by a swat team of rednecks I would move

LOL! I definitely second that motion. I thought about it and it occurred to me that I end up leaving the city more by plane than I do by car. If I do leave in the car, I try not to take any roads that don't start with I (I-35, I-10) ect.

Many of Texas famous athletes have been arrested in the bars, driving thru the streets, or out on the lakes.

Yup, Cedric Benson can't seem to catch a break in this city, yet he still keeps coming back for more.

A ton of cash rolling around...if you ain't rocking a bmw, benz, lexus, etc than you ain't shit. California culture is slowly invading as those fuckers leave the state they ruined for Texas cheap living....

Yeah man, I've been here for 7 years and have seen the Cali Invasion first hand. As long as you're not trying to buy any property within the city and are renting, you can still find relatively cheap living. For them it's not so much of a problem as they are flipping their Cali residence for 750k and coming to Austin to buy an even nicer place for half of that.

SXSW is officially ruined...it used to be about something (music-inspiring artist), now it's just a corporate brainwashing event for tech companies.....

Yup, SxSW has officially lost it's luster in terms of an underground event where you can see all sorts of interesting new bands without being bombarded everywhere you turn by corporate sponsorship. It's still good time though and with all the sites out there that are all about how to have the best time for free, it's still a must do event for me. I must say though, for the longest time I was sleeping on ACL fest because to me it just seemed like a watered down pop/hick fest but I went last year and was blown away. Not so much in terms of the lineup but the actual event and the sheer amount of chicks that were there to have a good time. Highly recommended.

nice post Josea and spot on...

Thanks man, 'preciate it.

I also hear that Austin is full of mostly college aged people, which would be a nice change.

Yeah, I think I read somewhere that they ran the numbers and it turns out that 1 out of every 3 Austinites has a degree. The people here are very intelligent but not in a pretentious way.

One thing that caught my eye was your statement that the weather is better in Florida. I get your point about scorching summers, but some might argue that the humidity in Miami is worse.

Yeah, I guess it's a matter of preference. My statement about Florida had more to do with my latest trip out there a couple of weeks ago to the West Palm Beach area. I'm sure it had something to do with coming from a place where it was 98 degrees, to a place where it was around 88 degrees and had a beach. (West Palm Beach btw, WOW, some smoking hot chicks out there. If you're ever there I highly recommend partying on Clematis street. Maybe start your night off at Rocco's Tacos and then head across the street to Dr. Feelgoods. You wont be disappointed.)

"What does the typical Austin, TX girl look like?"

They typical Austin TX chick, hmmm, thats a good question. I wouldn't say that there is one TYPICAL type of chick but for the most part, the women here are white with a good mix of blondes and brunettes. There are a good amount of Latina's (mostly Mexican) and African American chicks, but you kinda have to be seeking them out. Some types that you do see a lot of: Blonde sorrority types on 6th street, attractive hipster types with tats in the Red River/East Side areas and more professional, in-shape, borderline cougar types in the West 6th/Warehouse district areas. The women for the most part are in-shape and not overly obese. The younger chicks here will seem loud at first, but not in an obnoxious kind of way, more in an overly enthusiastic/excited kind of way. Once you open them and get a little rapport going, they tend to calm down and relax a little bit more. Thats the thing I've notice in general around here, I think the girls use the loudness thing as an intimidation tactic to kind of warn you that if they do decide to blow you off, it won't be very nice and quiet. But once you break through that, they are very feminine and are very open to letting you lead the interaction.

Is the sports culture to the point of being obnoxious?

I've heard this concern about being a sports crazed city before and for the most part, Austin is not that kind of place. Now they are fanatical about the UT football team, but it's actually kind of cool to get a little wrapped up in it, especially when they are winning. After the season is over thats pretty much it for sports. I think the lack of pro sports teams also helps to keep the city from becoming a sports fanatic place. I would call Dallas a lot more fanatical about the Cowboys and Mavericks, Houston very fanatical about the Texans and Astros and San Antonio very fanatical about the Spurs. What was kind of cool was the level of interest in the World Cup. People were into that thing BIGTIME here. I think that speaks to the level of open-mindedness and the diversity of the city. There are a good amount of sports bars if that is your thing though, and nice ones too. The nice thing about Austin is that people don't seem to be into sitting around and watching TV for extended periods of time in general.

Lastly, have you lived in any other areas of Texas that have better access to beaches, like Houston?

I would say that in Texas, there are only 4 cities that are even worth considering living in. Dallas, Austin, Houston and San Antonio. Living and partying in Austin, I have met TONS of people from all over the state and this is what I gather about the other 3 places (anyone who has any other opinions or lives in any of these cities, feel free to give your on-the-ground assessment):

Dallas - People are more pretentious. Lots of snobbery. Extremely spread out. Lots of crime. Good nightlife, but for a more professional, up-scale type of crowd.

San Antonio - Mexicans are the majority. Working class city. The riverwalk is overrated. Not that may choices for nightlife. Some fine-ass Latinas though.

Houston - Even more spread out and dispersed than Dallas. No central nightlife district. Lots of crime. Lots of traffic. Lack of culture.

Now Im reluctant to paint such large cities with a broad stroke, but this is what I've heard from people who live in these places. I have friends that live in the DFW area that complain a lot, but are still living there are going out regularly. A friend of mine in Dallas says that he likes the fact that you can get lost in that city and he thinks that this is not as easy to do in Austin. I tend to agree somewhat. If you are going out a lot in Austin, you will probably run into familiar faces every now and then but to me this isn't such a bad thing.

As you can tell, I have never been to Texas, but it is definitely a contender at this point. Even more so if I can get easier access to some decent beaches.

As far as beaches, NO ONE speaks highly of Galveston, which is the beach that is closest to Houston. You usually hear about it being very dirty and not very touristy. The only beach that people are down with in Texas is Padre Island and maybe Corpus Christi.

Check out the Tampa Bay area.

JoeSea: Yeah, I think I read somewhere that they ran the numbers and it turns out that 1 out of every 3 Austinites has a degree. The people here are very intelligent but not in a pretentious way.

I did some research and the stats for Austin look really good to me.

Austin
Females: 368,126 (48.6% of pop.)
Median resident age: 29.6 years
Never married: 39.4%
Total unmarried women = 145,041

JoeSea: West Palm Beach btw, WOW, some smoking hot chicks out there. If you're ever there I highly recommend partying on Clematis street. Maybe start your night off at Rocco's Tacos and then head across the street to Dr. Feelgoods. You wont be disappointed.

Thanks for the tip.

How would you compare the quality of women in WPB or Ft. Laud vs. Austin? More/less attractive, easy to open, fun, interesting, etc. I get the feeling that women in Austin run in close groups, making it harder to open a set vs random fun party girls at the beach. Is that an accurate assessment or way off? How hard is the cold approach in Austin for an attractive guy rolling solo?

How would you rate the two in terms of sheer quantity of women out having a good time? What would you consider a fair male to female ratio in social environments?

I know that Broward and Palm Beach County combined have less than 1/3 the number of local unmarried women compared to Austin. Of course, Florida has a lot of single girls that are only there on vacation. I could not find the stats, but it would give the area a big boost during seasonal times.

What about the "feel" of the area? Would you ever consider living there or is it just a place to take a quick trip?

How would you rate the quality of bars/nice restaurants? Is Austin really hard to beat in this area?

Great info about the women, sports info, and other cities.

Thanks

How would you compare the quality of women in WPB or Ft. Laud vs. Austin? More/less attractive, easy to open, fun, interesting, etc.

I wouldn't say the women in WPB were any more or less attractive than the women of Austin, just different, in a good way. I noticed a lot more brunettes out there with tans, which is something I like very much! I didn't notice as much of a mix in terms of TYPES out there, as most looked to be in the 24-27+ age range. I didn't notice a whole lot of college aged cuties out there, but I did notice a lot of chicks that you would need to get ID from out on the beach. There was a large cougar population out there, lots of fake boobs and lip injections.

I get the feeling that women in Austin run in close groups, making it harder to open a set vs random fun party girls at the beach. Is that an accurate assessment or way off? How hard is the cold approach in Austin for an attractive guy rolling solo?

In Austin, if the chicks are out in groups of 3 or more there is a HUGE possibility that it's a bachelorette party, I avoid those. The girls that are out to have a good time might tend to cluster early on in the night but they will start to splinter off as the night goes on. As far as going out solo, thats pretty much the way I roll most of the time and I prefer it far more than going out with guys who are out to get sloshed and throw back shot after shot. If you are an attractive guy rolling solo in Austin, you should have no problems.

How would you rate the two in terms of sheer quantity of women out having a good time? What would you consider a fair male to female ratio in social environments?

Now this is where me and my boys were all in agreement that WPB def. had something going for it. We all concluded that everywhere we went the hot chicks
seemed to outnumber the guys. I don't really know what to attribute that too and if it was 100% accurate, but it's definitely what it seemed like.

What about the "feel" of the area? Would you ever consider living there or is it just a place to take a quick trip?

In WPB it was pretty obvious that the recession had made a pretty big impact. There were lots of business that had closed up shop, whole malls and whatnot, and lots of foreclosures. It's a retirement community so if you move there you would probably need to have your $$$ situation all worked out beforehand. If your work is location independent, I can see it being a good place to post up for a while. Some of the locals did mention though that they were starting to see "things pick back up", for what thats worth.

How would you rate the quality of bars/nice restaurants? Is Austin really hard to beat in this area?

The bars and restaurants in Austin are pretty good, but on the whole I wouldn't call them world class, there are some gems that stand out above the rest though. You won't find too many places with strict dress codes. There are LOTS of places though, so if one doesn't do it for you there is another place right next door. The food here is VERY GOOD, and there is a lot of emphasis on freshness and quality. I would say in terms of sheer quantitiy and choice of places to drink/eat/have a good time in close proximity, Austin is VERY hard to beat.

Great info about the women, sports info, and other cities.

Thanks

No prob man, glad to help!

Similar thread:

http://www.rooshvforum.network/thread-2227.html

Jo Sea nice breakdown bro...I wish more people would use bullets and dashes to post list style.

First, visit city-data.com and visit their forums. You can ask away.

Depends what you are looking for. If you want something more cosmopolitan, TX, FL and/or ATL are probably the answer. Otherwise, more low-key places exist if you feel that you lack self control when it comes to partying like:

Raleigh, Charlotte, Wilmington/Asheville NC, Nashville, Charleston, SC, Jacksonville or maybe Orlando. Or heck any mid-sized Southern city like Birmingham, Louisville, Knoxville, Baton Rouge, Tulsa......

Don't stay in the boonies if your business is relocatable. My advice: start out in someplace pleasant, like NC. If it's still not exciting enough for you, try Houston/Dallas/ ATL or Tampa/Orlando/Austin or lastly South Florida. Sorry, just can't recommend South Florida. Lived in the area for 6 months in 2003. West Palm area is not bad. But at the same time it is a very good place to party though.

BTW, need a capable manager?? I've owned a biz before and would rather be the 2nd hand guy who doesn't have to worry about every nitpicking detail.

JoeSea: I wouldn't say the women in WPB were any more or less attractive than the women of Austin, just different, in a good way. I noticed a lot more brunettes out there with tans, which is something I like very much! I didn't notice as much of a mix in terms of TYPES out there, as most looked to be in the 24-27+ age range. I didn't notice a whole lot of college aged cuties out there, but I did notice a lot of chicks that you would need to get ID from out on the beach. There was a large cougar population out there, lots of fake boobs and lip injections.

I'm not big on the cougar thing or fake boobs, but I sure as hell love the brunettes. Plus at the beach you get the benefit of seeing her body away from the manipulation of tight ass jeans and push up bras. The age thing is a bit disappointing as my favorite range is 21 - 25. It seems like a tie.

JoeSea: In Austin, if the chicks are out in groups of 3 or more there is a HUGE possibility that it's a bachelorette party, I avoid those. The girls that are out to have a good time might tend to cluster early on in the night but they will start to splinter off as the night goes on. As far as going out solo, thats pretty much the way I roll most of the time and I prefer it far more than going out with guys who are out to get sloshed and throw back shot after shot. If you are an attractive guy rolling solo in Austin, you should have no problems.

So most girls roll with a friend, but are not big on groups. Nice, but it can sometimes be tricky to separate the duo if one is less social and doesn't have anyone pursuing them.

JoeSea: Now this is where me and my boys were all in agreement that WPB def. had something going for it. We all concluded that everywhere we went the hot chicks
seemed to outnumber the guys. I don't really know what to attribute that too and if it was 100% accurate, but it's definitely what it seemed like.

That does seem a bit weird since Austin has like 10X the number of single girls. The guy ratio must of been really low.

JoeSea: In WPB it was pretty obvious that the recession had made a pretty big impact. There were lots of business that had closed up shop, whole malls and whatnot, and lots of foreclosures. It's a retirement community so if you move there you would probably need to have your $$$ situation all worked out beforehand. If your work is location independent, I can see it being a good place to post up for a while. Some of the locals did mention though that they were starting to see "things pick back up", for what thats worth.

Money situation is good and I can run the biz anywhere in US. Just want to post up in a nice location with nightlife, young girls (21-25), and scenery.

JoeSea: The bars and restaurants in Austin are pretty good, but on the whole I wouldn't call them world class, there are some gems that stand out above the rest though. You won't find too many places with strict dress codes. There are LOTS of places though, so if one doesn't do it for you there is another place right next door. The food here is VERY GOOD, and there is a lot of emphasis on freshness and quality. I would say in terms of sheer quantitiy and choice of places to drink/eat/have a good time in close proximity, Austin is VERY hard to beat.

Great info, you've def put Austin on my list.

Also, I just realized TX has no personal income tax. No reason to chose FL just for that.