rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Floyd Mayweather already trying to duck out of Canelo Alvarez fight

Floyd's excuse for his latest dodging of an opponent who can actually beat him: My daddy won't let me fight over 147 pounds. Because, you know, 36 year olds who made $90M last year always listen to their parents. Nevermind that Floyd already HOLDS A WORLD TITLE AT 154 POUNDS!!

http://www.boxingscene.com/floyd-sr-conf...147--65590

Quote: (05-17-2013 10:03 AM)Dexter Morgan Wrote:  

Floyd's excuse for his latest dodging of an opponent who can actually beat him: My daddy won't let me fight over 147 pounds. Because, you know, 36 year olds who made $90M last year always listen to their parents. Nevermind that Floyd already HOLDS A WORLD TITLE AT 154 POUNDS!!

it's just to make canelo cut to 147, roach does this with manny too

Quote: (05-17-2013 10:15 AM)gamepadawan Wrote:  

Quote: (05-17-2013 10:03 AM)Dexter Morgan Wrote:  

it's just to make canelo cut to 147, roach does this with manny too

Alvarez can't make a 150 pound catchweight, let alone make 147. This was evident in the Matthew Hatton fight, which was some time ago. They were supposed to fight at 150 and even though Alvarez couldn't make weight, the fight still went on.

This article only quotes Floyd Mayweather, Sr. and not Floyd, Jr. Floyd, Sr. is a convicted felon and is generally all over the map in interviews and when he is quoted in articles. I take whatever he says with a grain of salt.

The question is this: Who can Mayweather make the most money fighting in September? Pay-per-view buys were down for the Guerrero fight, probably because Guerrero doesn't have the name recognition that guys like Pacquiao and Alvarez have. I think a fight with Pacquiao or Alvarez would make him the most money. I seriously doubt a Mayweather/Pacquiao fight would take place and there is little or no talk about those two fighting in September. Alvarez is all that makes sense. Since Alvarez cannot make 147 or even 150, they will just have to fight at 154.

"Just"147? He hasn't fought at 147 since he as 18 years old! Saying he needs to "just" get to 147 is like saying Tom Brady "just" needs to throw with his left arm if the Dolphins are to agree to play the Patriots. Its the same as saying "we don't want to fight Canelo, and we're looking for an excuse".

As for Manny, yes, of course, all managers will try to occasionally get some advantage for their fighters, and will try to avoid some tough opponents altogether. The difference here is, Floyd makes it an art-form! He almost ALWAYS fights aging guys and/or guys moving up in weight, and has made a career of dodging tough opponents to preserve his undefeated record. There are entire threads on this if you search. Whereas Manny has often taken the tough fights: Despite being a blown-up 135 pounder, he fought Antonio Margarito, who Mayweather successfully dodged for years. And instead of taking an easy fight after being knocked out by Marquez, he's fighting Bam-Bam Rios! So Manny often walks the walk. Floyd, for all his talent, rarely does.

Don't get me wrong: What Floyd has done has resulted in him being the highest paid athlete in sports. There is real value in that undefeated record. He's a great businessman who has transcended his sport (reportedly, Floyd gets paid $100K just to walk through a club!). I just think that there has never been a boxer with his talent who didn't fight the best of his generation: Ray Leonard, Sugar Ray Robinson, Thomas Hearns, Marvin Hagler - they all took on the best of their era. Floyd hasn't. He's 36 - he's running out of time. But if he cares more about the $$$ than his legacy, his is the smart move.

G Manifesto in 3...2...1

Quote: (05-17-2013 10:26 AM)Merenguero Wrote:  

The question is this: Who can Mayweather make the most money fighting in September? Pay-per-view buys were down for the Guerrero fight, probably because Guerrero doesn't have the name recognition that guys like Pacquiao and Alvarez have. I think a fight with Pacquiao or Alvarez would make him the most money. I seriously doubt a Mayweather/Pacquiao fight would take place and there is little or no talk about those two fighting in September. Alvarez is all that makes sense.

I agree that, for one fight, Canelo is the biggest $$$ Floyd can earn. But his strategy has always been, why take one risky big-money fight that, if I lose, I may never earn big $$$ again? His strategy has been to take two less risky fights at half the money and come out with his undefeated record to brag about. Lather, rinse, repeat. He's done this since 1997 and it has paid off for him, so I can't question his business acumen. But that doesn't mean boxing fans should be happy about it.

Quote: (05-17-2013 10:30 AM)Merenguero Wrote:  

G Manifesto in 3...2...1

I miss G.

If he's set on fighting in September, there aren't a lot of dance partners available. Because he has been promoted by Golden Boy for the past six fights or so, he's very unlikely to fight a Top Rank guy so that limits the potential opponents even more.

If it's not Canelo, I think his next most likely opponent is Devon Alexander. After that, I'm not sure there's even anyone viable.

More likely, Amir Khan. He fits all of Mayweather's tests:

1) Small guy recently moved up in weight? Check.
2) Flawed fighter who once showed promise and therefore has a bit of a name, but isn't really a threat to beat Floyd? Check.
3) On the downside of his career? Check.
4) Has a loyal national following (in this case, UK) that will buy LOTS of tickets and PPV buys and guarantee Floyd his $30M+ payday? Check!

Look for Floyd to fight him in an outdoor arena in London. They'll sell 80,000 tickets. Floyd will win a dull decision, 10 rounds to 2.

I hope Alverez waits it out and doesnt take the bait. Yeah 5M is cool to take an L but he is the future of the middleweight class. He is still only 23. Get a few fights in with great talent first. Honestly I like the Cotto Alverez fight. My boy said Cotto is done. He might be but it is still a worthy test for Alverez.

I thibk Floyd has 2 more fights before he loses. That last fight he looked good but you can tell be is getting slower. Maybe it's the layoff.

Don't do it.

The cycle of disrespect can start with just an appetizer.

Quote: (05-17-2013 06:30 PM)TexasMade Wrote:  

I hope Alverez waits it out and doesnt take the bait. Yeah 5M is cool to take an L but he is the future of the middleweight class. He is still only 23. Get a few fights in with great talent first. Honestly I like the Cotto Alverez fight. My boy said Cotto is done. He might be but it is still a worthy test for Alverez.

I thibk Floyd has 2 more fights before he loses. That last fight he looked good but you can tell be is getting slower. Maybe it's the layoff.

Don't do it.

Canelo can fill an arena by himself with Mexican fans. He's not settling anywhere near $5M. I agree that he'll likely fight Cotto next. He is still learning. He needs to overcome the arm fatigue that sets in sometimes and leaves him unable to be busy in the ring.

This shit is like a soap opera for men.

Mayweather should try fighting Mathyse. He might actually get KO'd.

Don't forget to check out my latest post on Return of Kings - 6 Things Indian Guys Need To Understand About Game

Desi Casanova
The 3 Bromigos

Matthysse is a top level fighter, and exciting too, but after watching that Guerrero fight, I can't see anyone beating Floyd. Unless he moved up 3 weights to fight Ward or something! He's up there with the very best in the history of the sport. I posted some stats about him on another thread, they're extraordinary.

His accuracy, hitting-but-not-getting-hit etc is the best of all time, only Joe Louis comes close. Ray Robinson's welterweight years are unfortunately not included as the data isn't available.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. - H L Mencken

Mathyse smashed Peterson on Saturday, that left hook, my oh fucking my

Don't forget to check out my latest post on Return of Kings - 6 Things Indian Guys Need To Understand About Game

Desi Casanova
The 3 Bromigos

I am a Floyd fan but if this is true...Canelo should say fugggg you. On top of that, Floyd should not be fighting for 154-pound titles if he doesn't want to fight TOP 154-pounders.

Matthysse is exciting but Floyd eats styles like Matthysse for breakfast. Matthysse's hook would never get passed Floyd's "shoulder-roll defense". Floyd would win a decision 120-108.

BUT....

Matthysse is THE REASON why Broner skipped 140.

I just booked my flight to Las Vegas for September 12 to September 22. Regardless of what happens with regard to the negotiations between Alvarez and Mayweather, there is a 100% chance that there will be quality fighters and/or quality fights in Las Vegas on September 14. If I were to sit and around and wait for Mayweather to make an official announcement about whether he will be fighting on September 14, and if so, who he will fight, flights and hotels may quickly fill up.

It is my position that Mayweather has never ducked anyone, but if he does not agree to fight Alvarez in September, I will probably change my opinion on that matter.

Quote: (05-21-2013 01:46 PM)Merenguero Wrote:  

I just booked my flight to Las Vegas for September 12 to September 22. Regardless of what happens with regard to the negotiations between Alvarez and Mayweather, there is a 100% chance that there will be quality fighters and/or quality fights in Las Vegas on September 14. If I were to sit and around and wait for Mayweather to make an official announcement about whether he will be fighting on September 14, and if so, who he will fight, flights and hotels may quickly fill up.

It is my position that Mayweather has never ducked anyone, but if he does not agree to fight Alvarez in September, I will probably change my opinion on that matter.

Ha! I was about to get mine for the same weekend. I think I will wait for a week or two. What airline did you go with? I am looking at 580 from Corpus Christi, 431 from San Antonio. I think I can get a one way with Southwest for 180.

We should set up a meeting out there for RVF players. Rip Vegas that Friday night before the fight.

Quote: (05-21-2013 05:45 PM)TexasMade Wrote:  

Quote: (05-21-2013 01:46 PM)Merenguero Wrote:  

Ha! I was about to get mine for the same weekend. I think I will wait for a week or two. What airline did you go with? I am looking at 580 from Corpus Christi, 431 from San Antonio. I think I can get a one way with Southwest for 180.

We should set up a meeting out there for RVF players. Rip Vegas that Friday night before the fight.

$359.70 BWI to Las Vegas on Southwest, round trip, including everything.

Also, there should be tons of Mexico City and Guadalajara girls in town for that weekend. I was there for Mexican independence last year and there were plenty of them. I was there for a total of less than forty-eight hours, however, and was too nervous about the outcome of the Martinez-Chavez fight to approach. I pretty much landed, made my money, and left. This year I will be able to spend much more time there.

5 of my mates just came back from Vegas, they went to the May v Guerrero fight. They said Vegas was amazing, but the fight atmosphere was underwhelming unfortunately.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. - H L Mencken

Wasn't Cotto 150 lb when he fought Mayweather?

You know how much the tickets cost? My boy went for the Mayweather vs Del La Hoya and got nosebleed for 1200 that was supposedly sold out. They were selling tickets at the door for 800 in his same section.

How many guy's asses does Floyd have to kick before the haters will admit he is generally not beatable? There is a whole thread on here about how the Ghost Guerrero was the guy to finally beat Floyd, with all the haters piling on. And he then summarily kicked Guerrero's ass - to barely a whisper. Knuckleheads.

Quote: (05-21-2013 05:55 PM)TexasMade Wrote:  

You know how much the tickets cost? My boy went for the Mayweather vs Del La Hoya and got nosebleed for 1200 that was supposedly sold out. They were selling tickets at the door for 800 in his same section.

I'm not sure and if Mayweather is really going to fight Alvarez in September, tickets may not go on sale until July or even August. If you really want to go to the fight, my recommendation is that you keep checking the Ticketmaster website to see when tickets go on sale and the same day they go on sale, that you go to the nearest Ticketmaster outlet and pay for the best available seats in cash (if you are inclined to pay with cash). If you go to the Ticketmaster outlet the first day they go on sale, you should be able to get a decent ticket for $1,500, or nosebleed for much less. Last year, on the day of the Alvarez-Lopez and Martinez-Chavez fights, I could have bought a ticket in the first few rows for something like $3,000 for Alvarez or $5,000 for Martinez from a scalper/ticket agency. I considered it, but decided that it wasn't worth it. Your best bet is to probably hit up Ticketmaster on the first possible minute of the first possible day.

big fight this weekend, not sure you americans are interested, Froch vs Kessler.

Desi Casanova
The 3 Bromigos