rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Think I might look like a total douche at gym... should I give a fuck?

I hate doing cardio and my saving grace has been the basketball court at my gym. It's usually empty and I find it great excercise / mental therapy to do shooting drills to burn my calories and get my heart pumping in lieu of elliptical / spin / jogging (all of which I hate).

The long and short of it is that my gym's basketball court is highly visable - it's constructed to where most of the 5th floor ellipticals look down onto the 4th floor basketball court. So I'm running around like fucking Ray Allen doing my nonstop 3-point shooting drills and I'm worried I look like a tool. The reason I say this is because I recently noticed another guy doing similar drills and I thought "Jesus that guy is obnoxious, I want to punch him in his face".

Should I just not give a fuck? I mean, by practicing game and trying to get as many notches as possible we're pretty much out there being hated on by a lot of regular guys anyway so I guess what's the harm?

I would think you were awesome if you did that. Your only problem is your frame on it.

You're not at the gym to entertain others. Do your thing. If that bothers some, oh well.

Now if guys wanna play 3 on 3 or somethings and need the court, that's something else. But if you look weird or toolish, why care?

A lot of guys at the gym seem to lift for other guys at the gym. Throwing on too much weight, using shitty form...all to impress other dudes.

I'd rather look like a tool ignoring other people and doing my own thing than grunt out reps with too much weight on the bar to show guys how alpha my bench press is.

Yeah I guess so. The thing is that other guy kept looking up to see who was watching him and seemed like he was really show-y. Since I saw that I've been careful to always look straight ahead and avoid appearances that I'm peacocking or otherwise being an attention whore.

Hopefully it's in my head and I agree about trying to frame this differently - hence the post.

"Should I just not give a fuck?"

The answer to this question is always no you should not give two fucks. Results. Results. Results.

Unless you're losing money or getting unhealthy. Who cares about a bunch of fat dudes in a gym making minimum wage.

lol, i say maybe. In this case, no. F- it. You like shooting hoops and running around.

I looked like a total douche when I got stuck under the bench press bar. =(. I then had to airplane(tilt it to one side) the weights off, and everybody stared when the weights hit the floor... Felt like a total idiot.

Don't know what super-human frame one would need to not give a f-ck about the "airplane move" , but I certainly never did it again.

Douche= potential damage to equpiment or facilities (even if you are getting "results"). Running around and shooting hoops when nobody is on the court= fine.

WIA- For most of men, our time being masters of our own fate, kings in our own castles is short. Even those of us in the game will eventually succumb to ease of servitude rather than deal with the malaise of solitude

No way you are getting results if you are damaging equipment.

Nothing says retarded like four plates on a bench press when you weigh 130lbs.

Quote: (05-07-2013 05:48 PM)DVY Wrote:  

lol, i say maybe. In this case, no. F- it. You like shooting hoops and running around.

I looked like a total douche when I got stuck under the bench press bar. =(. I then had to airplane(tilt it to one side) the weights off, and everybody stared when the weights hit the floor... Felt like a total idiot.

Don't know what super-human frame one would need to not give a f-ck about the "airplane move" , but I certainly never did it again.

Douche= potential damage to equpiment or facilities (even if you are getting "results"). Running around and shooting hoops when nobody is on the court= fine.

Not giving a fuck is essential.

Start doing more things that make you feel uncomfortable.

Whatever you do is cool and if people don't like it that's there problem.

Unless you're on an elliptical. That shit ain't cool.

I wouldn't worry too much. At least you're not upstairs on the treadmill watching reruns of Desperate Housewives and asking random dudes if your gym shorts make you look fat.

“I have a very simple rule when it comes to management: hire the best people from your competitors, pay them more than they were earning, and give them bonuses and incentives based on their performance. That’s how you build a first-class operation.”
― Donald J. Trump

If you want some PDF's on bodyweight exercise with little to no equipment, send me a PM and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

I've made friends that way. I was doing a boxing workout at the gym alone and unfortunately the heavy sack was in the corner of the rec room area. Dude came up and asked me if I boxed, I told him I trained some MMA before and next thing you know we gathered another person or two had our own MMA club formed. I think that dude is now on a reality television show.

You'll look like a douche at the gym if you do the following:

Shout when you lift
Walk around on your phone instead of lifting
Wear flip flops
Put the weight higher on a machine when you're done with it so the next guy thinks you look stronger
Pose in front of the mirrors
Stare at yourself in the mirrors for long periods
Have fucking terrible form but act like you're the biggest dude there
Get in people's way constantly

Doing your thing on a basketball court though? Fuck no, who gives a shit. You'll probably get a couple of other lads wanting to join you if you keep it up long enough.

If that happens always move it down to your gut and then your hips/legs.

I learned this and so can you! [Image: banana.gif]

Do cat dog yoga pose with your ass facing your audience. That will make you look real weird.

One time I was checking out my abs in a tinted window. I thought no one was in the car. All the sudden the window comes down and a girl is there laughing her ass off. Shit was mad funny.

Pretty sure no one cares. Unless they are complete losers, I don't know why they'd give a second thought to some random guy shooting baskets. It is a basketball court after all so it can't be much of a surprise. That's what its there for. Not sure why this is an issue unless you have a strange gym where playing basketball on a basketball court is for some reason considered odd.

Mike I walk 4 miles to work every day and 4 miles back. There aren't sidewalks on parts of it and it I rarely see another person walking on my route. I swear people stare like they are shocked to see someone walking in the suburbs. Who gives a fuck?

Quote: (05-07-2013 06:50 PM)ImWaitingForTheMan Wrote:  

Mike I walk 4 miles to work every day and 4 miles back. There aren't sidewalks on parts of it and it I rarely see another person walking on my route. I swear people stare like they are shocked to see someone walking in the suburbs. Who gives a fuck?

That's more than 2 1/2 hours walking daily... seriously?

Quote: (05-07-2013 07:30 PM)NY Digital Wrote:  

Quote: (05-07-2013 06:50 PM)ImWaitingForTheMan Wrote:  

That's more than 2 1/2 hours walking daily... seriously?
Occasionally ill snag a ride back but yeah. Sorry I meant the 5 days a week I work. Is it really that crazy?

Quote: (05-07-2013 06:09 PM)Gator_McKlusky Wrote:  

I've made friends that way. I was doing a boxing workout at the gym alone and unfortunately the heavy sack was in the corner of the rec room area. Dude came up and asked me if I boxed, I told him I trained some MMA before and next thing you know we gathered another person or two had our own MMA club formed. I think that dude is now on a reality television show.

I had a similar situation. My gym is more geared to lifting than boxing, but they have a few heavy bags in the corner, which usually go unused. One day I was working the bag and an old guy came over and started watching me. I said hello, and it turns out he used to be a trainer and Gold Gloves finalist.

He gave me some great tips for working the bag - it's scary how bad your form gets when you don't have a good trainer around for a while.

Quote: (05-07-2013 06:10 PM)MattC Wrote:  

You'll look like a douche at the gym if you do the following:

Shout when you lift
Ronnie Coleman disagrees

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXZZhvFPhVU

Quote: (05-07-2013 05:56 PM)WestCoast Wrote:  

No way you are getting results if you are damaging equipment.

Nothing says retarded like four plates on a bench press when you weigh 130lbs.

Maybe, but come on. Most of us make the mistake of loading on too much weight or cranking out too many reps on the bench and getting stuck at some point. Part of the price you pay for the gym is to cover equipment fuck-ups like this. You live and learn.

You're a total douche in the gym if you curl in the SQUAT rack. Everything else is forgivable.

You don't go to the gym to look cool.

Go, work, get results, repeat.

Anyone who judges you is probably too fat to keep up.

Why do you think doing shooting drills on the court make you look like an idiot in the first place? I don't get it. Basketball is the best game out there and if you like to run around shooting the ball, whats not to like?

Hell no. Do you and have fun with it.

Isn't that point of basketball? Run around and take shots? How else do you expect to try to get into game shape?

A man is only as faithful as his options-Chris Rock