rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Bulking up for tall guys?

I've been working out and training for a solid year, although it's been mixed with weight training and conditioning for wrestling. I'm 6'3, 175lbs average and 9-10% body fat. Now, If I was in the 5"10-5"11 range I'd look bulky as shit, but since I'm not I tend to look skinnier to some people.

Any workouts that would efficiently add mass on my long frame, and any foods that put on good weight fast?

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread...=121703981

TLDR: there is no bulking foods. You just eat more calories per day. Its hard to tell you how many calories you should eat because its based on your activity level. If you are conscious about how much you are eating just add an extra 500 calorie meal per day.

Your grams of protein should be around 75% of your total weight so Id aim for 130-150g of protein a day.

To make more muscle you need to lift constantly and continue to make slight gains in lifting weight every 1-3 weeks.

Your height has nothing to do with anything.

Progressive overload plus a healthy caloric surplus diet is what you need. Along with adequate sleep(8 hours is fine) and lots of water as it makes up like 70% of your muscle mass.

People tend to over complicate mass gaining but if you have a good workout routine and diet you should get gains easily. And yea your height has nothing to do with anything. Look at nba centers. None of them are skinny lol.

Not sure why you would even work out. You're in the top alpha height percentile which means you will intimidate shorter guys and just have to stand there to game girls.

Quote: (05-06-2013 10:44 PM)houston Wrote:  

Not sure why you would even work out. You're in the top alpha height percentile which means you will intimidate shorter guys and just have to stand there to game girls.

Hell, I just sit on a barstool and am tall enough to intimidate short fucks like you and Mech.

Quote:Quote:

Your grams of protein should be around 75% of your total weight so Id aim for 130-150g of protein a day.

Your advice is sound except for this piece, I believe my body can only process about 60 grams of protein a day, 130-150g is for people 250+ and most will get crapped out anyway. I'm not doing any high-impact cardio or max-intensity-next-level workouts so I wouldn't need that much of an excess.

Haha, that's the number 1 thing chicks never fail to say, "You're so tall ohhhhhhh."

Thanks. DTF?

I've always been on the lean side and I'm just about ready to drop the "tall skinny guy" sterotype. Plus I'm enlisting into the military and I don't want to be a weak shit.

The best way to bulk for skinny guys is to start eating more and doing a 20 rep squat program until you break three plates. Once you get there you can drop the reps to a wendler routine or something and continue into the 300s-500s on the squat.

You'll be surprised how far you can get in 3 months on a 20 rep squat program.

Bulking up for a tall guy is the same as bulking for a short guy.

Eat big and eat clean. Lift with intensity 3/4 times a week.

Eat way more calories than you think you need. If you can try to target lean proteins. Also for an extreme protein boost have a chicken liver about once a week, I say only once a week because it's super high in cholesterol. Good luck man!

Quote: (05-06-2013 11:10 PM)TheBlackNarwhal Wrote:  

Your advice is sound except for this piece, I believe my body can only process about 60 grams of protein a day, 130-150g is for people 250+ and most will get crapped out anyway. I'm not doing any high-impact cardio or max-intensity-next-level workouts so I wouldn't need that much of an excess.

You come here asking for the best way to bulk and then say your going to stick to 60g protein a day? Lol good luck with that. I dont even know how you can eat that little amount of protein a day.

The exact formula for protein a day is 1g per pound of lean body mass. Total weight - body fat = LBM. So in your case 10% BF, 10% of 175 is 17.5 lbs, 175 - 17.5 = 157.5 lbs of LBM. 157.5 is the amount of protein you should be aiming for a day. Some people eat 1.5x g of protein per LBM and say they see better gains than doing 1x but those cases are very rare and possibly bogus.

I have no idea what your talking about when you say "crapped out" but I can assure you that you are wrong and you won't be successful in gaining muscle with that little protein.

Quote: (05-06-2013 11:10 PM)TheBlackNarwhal Wrote:  

What you believe doesn't seem to be working for you now does it?

You ain't gonna get big eating 157 grams of protein a day. Anyone should consume at least 180-200g a day, if you're heavier than 200lbs I'd shoot for 250grams. If you shoot for 157g you're still getting in only like 120g of quality protein and the rest from bread, peanut butter and other mediocre protein sources.

6-8 tbs of olive oil a day

Liver tabs.

12 eggs a day.

Gallon of goat milk a day.

Just eat a decent mix of food, lots of protein and carbs, have 5-6 meals a day. Lift heavy as you can 10-8-6-15. Creatine is also a useful supplement.

Limit Cardio.

Do this and it's not physical possible that you will not put on muscle and size regardless of your bodytype

Man, wouldn't 12 eggs a day put a real load on type heart even if you live in the gym?

Agree with 200g protein suggestion. Your body needs plenty, especially if it's recovering from other injuries or inflammation.

As you might already guess, you need loads of calories too. I don't know your Basal Metabolic Rate but you'll most likely between 2500-3000 per day.

In terms of training, all you really need is the Big 3 (Leg Press, Bench Press and Chinups).

You also only have to do 1 set for each exercise (but to absolute failure). Think "If I had a gun to my head could I push it any further?". Even when you're pushing and the weight isn't moving, hold it up there for 10 more seconds. Remember: every rep is a warm-up for the rep where it absolutely burns (which is when the adaptive response of growth will occur).

You can then take a week rest (at least) before coming back again for another 25 minutes of extreme pain.

Extremely time-efficient, but only if you're ballsy enough to do it.

References: http://www.asep.org/files/Smith.pdf

i'm 6'4" 255 18.8% BF.

It is possible to get real big when you're tall.

I eat 250-300 grams of protein per day
200 cho
50 fat

still gaining muscle and shedding fat

when i was gaining big time, i would eat 300 gram protein, 400 cho, 100 fat or so

i rotate my workouts across a two week period something like this:

chest/tri (bench, incline, flyes, dips, push downs)
back/bi (pull ups weighted and for reps, rows (bb and db), kroc rows, pull downs underhand and overhand, face pulls, curls etc)
rest
squat (backsquat 10x3 program by Bergener)
rest
cleans/snatches (work up to heavy singles on each)
rest
chest/tri
back/bi
rest
deadlift (Coan Phillipi program)
rest
rest

I've gone from 255 and 25% BF to 255 and 18% BF following the above diet and workouts. never been stronger.

Eat more.

I wish I was taller, I would juice just for the hell of it, a 6'3 jacked guy on gear must look intimidating as fuck. OP, you're gonna get there, it's just gonna take more time and more food, that's all.

I'm 6'2", in the same boat... currently weigh 165 at like 7-8% BF. Goal is to get enough on me that my ribs don't show in any place. Good core, but no chest to speak of atm - getting there, I'm seeing gains over the past couple weeks.

Time limited, so I'm going to follow Valentine's study there a bit. Even if it -isn't- as efficient as a full blown training program, if I can get 2/3rds of the benefits from 90min/week compared to 12+ hours a week, it'd be worth it. Time and calorie intake have been my two major blocks.

1. Eat lots of protein. And lots of fats and carbs.
You're not trying to get shredded, you're trying to get big.

Eat a whole grilled chicken a day, with the skin and grease.
Eat bacon and eggs and drink two-three liters of milk.
Eat almonds, walnuts and peanuts.
Eat broccoli, beetroots, carrots.
Eat steak.
Eat fish.
Add olive oil to everything.
Rice and more rice.

2. Lift heavy ass weights.
Don't sit on a machine, you're not a sissy.

Squat a real squat.
Deadlift the loaded bar. The iron is challenging you, laughing at you. Prove it wrong.
Bench press.
Military press.
Rows.
Wide grip pull-ups.
Dips.

3. And eat more still.
No you don't "already eat like a beast."

The first couple of months you should be cramming food.
Stuff it in, always be too full.
Stretch that stomach.
Learn from the fatties.

Whenever I start reading a bodybuilding thread on here I just end up getting frustrated and left wondering why I opened the thread.

What you eat does not matter. Eating a grilled chicken a day means nothing. Over eating like the above post advocates will get you excess fat that will do nothing for you.
Eat 500 calories more then you usually do a day, hit your protein amount and fat amount per day and the rest carbs and you will gain muscle and slowly your BF% and muscle will increase instead of always feeling like bloated shit and all of a sudden getting muscle that is covered by fat since you are eating way too much.

Quote: (05-06-2013 10:29 PM)ozzyyooo Wrote:  

Progressive overload plus a healthy caloric surplus diet is what you need. Along with adequate sleep(8 hours is fine) and lots of water as it makes up like 70% of your muscle mass.

People tend to over complicate mass gaining but if you have a good workout routine and diet you should get gains easily. And yea your height has nothing to do with anything. Look at nba centers. None of them are skinny lol.

Dude come on now. You're 15 or 16 right?

http://www.rooshvforum.network/thread-21634-...#pid391380

Quote: (03-11-2013 07:10 PM)ozzyyooo Wrote:  

Lol you guys rock. I actually am on a workout regimen as I'm trying to gain mass. I'm only 6'2 143 pounds. I'm in high school right now currently. A- student. I'm not really attracted to the girls in my school. Mostly white brooklynites who don't know how to use makeup sparingly. There are a select few that are pretty- mostly latinas. But doing research on game and looking at forums like this and naughty nomad has me really interested in other parts of the world. On a side note, I do get approached my women alot on the street asking me for directions. I don't really pay attention to body language and then go separate ways. Is this even significant or does it just mean I'm not a scary looking guy lol.

I'll chime in here with advice that isn't copy/pasted from bb.com or other sites.

So you want to get bigger in a typical 6-12 month time frame? Ok we need logistics here.

- How is your cash flow? Can you afford the food you need?
- Can you cook?
- Do you know the basics for food when it comes to carbs, proteins and fats?

An example of this is peanut butter and eggs. You get all sorts of people raving how unhealthy these two are but the opposite is true. I did a time where I was having 5-6 eggs a day (cooked) and the gains I made were not fat.

Get organic peanut butter, not the cheap stuff which is synthetic and horrible.

I used to weigh 75ish KG before I took up a strength training program. These days I am now just over 101KG, with my abs still being clearly visible throughout.

The best things you can do are the following.

Pressing

I press with a fat bar, it enables me to lift more than with an ordinary barbell and I dont suffer pain as a result. This may not be for you but old time strongmen used fat bars a lot and they were stacked.

- Bench press
- Incline bench press
- Overhead standing press
- Overhead bench press
- Standing one arm DB press/push press

I've added two pulley machines to my workout on chest/arm days.

My leg days comprise of the following.

- Front squats
- Back squats
- Deadlifts (on wednesdays)

I squat 5-6 times a week, with 2 chest days having a squat in the mix. I like squatting.

I am doing them below parallel and so should you!

Why do below parallel?

Your legs and ass extend more. Extension creates tension and you need more torque to get out of the squat so you will build a better level of strength both mentally and physically.

Look at a lot of so-called squatters in the gym, even the good ones. If they're just about hitting parallel they may be avoiding going deeper in the pursuit of bigger numbers. Dont be guilty of this. Girls love a fine arse and the power you get in this area makes you fuck girls hard.

Even fatties dont stand a chance. If you;re into those that is.

Front squats

Why do these? I can tell you why, they're awesome for your ego and abs/core/legs.

Majority of people do not and will not do them. I do the clean position, no other way about it if you want to be good at them.

I can safely say that having gotten to 140kg for a double on the frontie my abs have developed some serious strength and size. if you want a muscular sixpack, you need these in your program.

Dont even talk to me about crunches, they're worthless.

Learn the olympic and powerlifting back squat stances and drill them into your mind and body. The latter is a shallower depth and allows heavier weight but the olympic squat can get real heavy too but takes longer.

Food

I eat 4 times a day with medium-large meals. I eat all sorts and I drink 2ltrs of milk a day, semi-skimmed. Its £1 for 2ltrs so I'm happy to buy lots of it.

Typical foods of mine

- Tinned tuna
- Salmon (hate the bones)
- Peanut butter
- Free ranged or barn eggs
- Porridge (with separate ice cream flavour syrup)
- Chicken - Either from the market or supermarket in pre-packed boxes
- Mushy peas (yummy)
- Baked beans
- Potatoes
- Chilli
- Curries (homemade)
- Sandwiches (ham, cheese, pickle, vegetables)
- Bananas, apples
- Random fruit
- Bran flakes
- Spinach
- Beef - this shit is getting overpriced, no wonder they went for horse meat on the sly

- Meatballs, burgers. You can make these yourself
- Homemade pizza

The supplements you can go for off the shelf are;

- Iron
- Fish oil
- Omega 3
- Magnesium
- Zinc

All help you in little ways.

What to avoid

I see no need to have protein powders if you're eating right. Food>shakes unless you are stuck for time.

Get a blender if this is the case. 2-3 scoops+banana+oats+milk+powder flavouring such as Nesquik. This will do you for a bit but it is not a replacement for a meal.

Do not take advice off BB'ers regarding squats, they SUCK at squats.

Do not look at other guys and figure how they got there. Time and effort. Some may have used gear (roids) to get there so never compare yourself to somebody else.

Dont use straps and gloves. Straps weaken your grip and glvoes create a false surface. I used glvoes at first but realised they were just something macho gay boys like to wear to stop their hands "hurting".

Straps are dangerous because they override your bodys natural defence to prevent injury. If you cant pick it up with your hands you're not supposed to lift it. Chalk up and let fly. Liquid chalk is only good for those places that dont want real chalk.

Dont eat raw eggs. Just dont.

Oops forgot to add.

I am 6'3". Training since age 25. I am 28 now.

Quote: (05-07-2013 10:32 AM)Plutoman Wrote:  

I'm 6'2", in the same boat... currently weigh 165 at like 7-8% BF. Goal is to get enough on me that my ribs don't show in any place. Good core, but no chest to speak of atm - getting there, I'm seeing gains over the past couple weeks.

Time limited, so I'm going to follow Valentine's study there a bit. Even if it -isn't- as efficient as a full blown training program, if I can get 2/3rds of the benefits from 90min/week compared to 12+ hours a week, it'd be worth it. Time and calorie intake have been my two major blocks.

It's the only type of workout I've been able to stick to long-term, the time investment really is so small there's no excuse to not going to the gym.

Just a few pointers on creating a workout program:

1) You need to have at least 1 Push (e.g. bench press), 1 Pull (e.g. chinup) and 1 Lower body exercise. I use 2 of each but I'm not sure it's all that necessary.

e.g.
1 Push vertical plane i.e. shoulder press + 1 horizontal plane i.e. bench press
1 Pull vertical plane i.e. chinups + 1 horizontal plane i.e. rows
1 Quadricep-dominant i.e. leg press + hamstring-dominant i.e. leg curl (don't squat, note at bottom of post)

There's a few more exercises I do e.g. grip training, vacuums etc but they're just supplemental.

I do a split-body workout upper/lower with 6 days rest between an upper and a lower workout. You'll have to track your results to find out how quickly you recover.

2) Going to total failure is the most important part. I use drop sets to make sure I get there but it's all down to personal preference.

If you're not setting a personal record every time you hit the gym, you're doing something wrong. Think about it: when you workout you're creating a stimulus that makes you body think fuck, I need to grow or next time this lion or whatever the massive weight I'm pushing away is going to kill me.

If you're not getting stronger, then you either haven't been resting long enough (increase time between workouts/reduce volume of exercises), eating enough or pushing yourself to total failure. Remember: gun to head intensity.

It will hurt. A LOT. But that is the price for excellence.

3) Tracking your workouts is also massively important. You want to use a weight you can lift with a slow, controlled tempo (e.g. 3-1-3) for between 45 seconds to 2 minutes before you can't complete a full repetition. Log down how long you managed to push for, then complete drop sets (or keep pushing the original weight) to total failure.

More info on High Intensity Training here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rNm4kSl3Og

More info on why (back) squats are terrible for your body: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZF7FJsDrpWY