rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Tashkent - Uzbekistan

Tashkent - Uzbekistan

First post here.

I'm not used to the forum datasheet format, so I'll use my own framework. Also sorry for the faults and the grammatical incoherences, I'm not an english native speaker.

VISA

Unlike Russians and Belarussians, Uzbeks are rather enterprising and arrangeant people and getting a visa is totally hassle-free, at least for EU citizens. If you're not from a EU country, you'll need a Letter Of Invitation. The max for a tourism visa is one month. Nonetheless if you want to stay longer (as I did on my first trip, I stayed two months) a two or three monthes business visa (100 €, two entries) is quite easy to negociate, even if no business brings you there. Just ask to see the consul and be friendly with him. The legendary Central Asian hospitality is not a myth.

TRAVEL/ARRIVAL

Very few companies fly to Tashkent. Coming from the west, Aeroflot, Air Baltic, Turk Air and Uzbekistan Airways are about the only choices. Uzbekistan Airlines is a rather good company. Decent food, nice hostesses, ect. The planes (B 767) seem well-maintened. From what I noticed, flights are rarely full. People on the planes are mostly cultural-tourists on their way to Silk Road cities. No hassles at customs, as Uzbek custom officers have a quite lax and relaxed attitude. They are fairly slow and totally desorganized though , so waiting lines are often long. They is a VIP service for arrival that is quite convenient, and whose cost is $30.

APARTMENTS/HOTELS

Finding an apartment in Tashkent is difficult. Almost none on Airbnb, and google seaches don't give much results. Until now, I rented a nice 100 square meters in Darhan, one of the best district, for 650us$/month to an owner that I know, but he recently found a long-term expat tenant. I have to find other options from now. A guy named Anton owned the http://www.apartment.sk.uz/index.htm site, but he moved to Russia. The site is still here but i don't know if it is still operating. BTW Anton was a decent and helpful guy, but he charged an outrageous $15 for an airport pick-up, wich is really expensive as taxis to center cost $4 at max.

There's a whole range of hotels, from the lavish 5 stars (Intercontinental, Radisson, Grand Mir, ect) to the backpacker guesthouse. In the center, there's some nice 3/4 stars in old renovated buildings, like Poytaht Hotel or Tashkent Palace. Many of them seem half-empty, and some others seem totally deserted. The big (and rather ugly) Uzbekistan hotel is a favorite of the turk mongers. Rates vary from us$140 for top-notch to $50 for mid-level. Dunno about guesthouses.

People in Tashkent are not used to see foreigners staying in apartments BTW. Taxis and girls never believe that I am NOT staying in a hotel. Anyhow they are not used to see western tourists. In Tashkent, the only very few Westerners I usually see are at the Irish Pub or at the Chelsea - and it's usually potbellied guys. In the clubs, it is usually just me.

As in Russia, you have to register. The owner of your apartment will do it for you, but it's not always easy. The rule seems to be that there is no rule. Two times I had to pass through a guesthouse to register (for a small daily fee), and the other times all went well - this for the same apartment. Weird, but, hey, this is Uzbekistan.

CURRENCY

The official currency in Uzbekistan is the Soum of which 2500 is equal to 1€ (2800 to 3000 at black market). The biggest bill is 1000 soums and is worth only about 0.30 €. Yeah that’s right. You literally have to go out with HUGE wads of money filling your pockets. There's no western bank in Uzbekistan, and at most five or six ATMs in the whole city (notally one in Intercontinental and one in Uzbekistan Hotel, both operated by NBU - National Bank of Uzbekistan) ...which are frequently out of service !

No problems to change cash. As changing in banks is a bit time-consuming, I use to change my $$ either in bars or pubs, either to the informal money changers hanging around in front of Mir Mall (very reliable guys). Anyhow there's also NBU change counters in all 5 stars hotels.

Cost of life is damn cheap, notally restaurants and drinks in clubs ...in Fabrique, a long-neck Baltika costs 5000 soums, a Black Russian 7000 soums, and a 25cl superior vodka jug 16 000 soums. In the glam clubs, the most expensive cocktails don't cost more than 12 000 soums, and the VIP tables cost next to nothing, at least compared to Moscow, Piter, Bucarest, ect. A three courses fine dinner for two (with multiple drinks) is about 100 000 soums in posh cafes or in upscale restaurants. There is BTW many good and atmospheric restaurants in Tashkent.

It is interesting to note that because of the cheap cost of life, the abundance of available girls and the "exotism" of the city, Tashkent is also a "party destination" for some russian guys. I have some friends from Piter (good looking guys in their mid 30s) who go there each summer and wouldn't even consider to go elsewhere.

POPULATION

There is about 2.9 million people in Tashkent. It's the fourth largest city in FSU after Moscow, Piter and Kiev.The main ethnic groups are Russians, Tatars, Persians, Koreans, Turks, Caucasian (from Caucasus) and of course Central Asians. All the shades in-between exist also. I've met girls of truly incredible ethnic mixes, like tatar/avar, lezghin/slavic, ect. What strikes immediatly is the astonishing variety of women that covers all the types you can dream about and that is truly unparallelled on the planet. Tashkent carry an insane number of tall and gorgeous women from all ethnicities. Some are lethal creatures I'd even say. Nonetheless I am perhaps not totally objective as I have a fascination for persian looks combined with hot russian bodies, exactly one of the types that abounds in Tashkent. As a side note, even the girls with asiatic features are usually taller, bustier, and more curvaceous than what one would normally identify with an asian girl.

During Soviet times, and particularly during WW2, there has been huge migrations from Russia (there was some 1.5 million people forcibly delocalised from Russia - especially from West Russia - and Ukraine, including 300.000 orphans) so there's also plenty of blond haired blue eyed beauties named Svetlana, Lena or Tatiana - that said, and logically, the ratio of truly hot slavic blondes is definitely higher in Russia or Ukraine. Some ethnic groups of the Caucasus also have been massively delocalised to Tashkent during Stalin era, as most korean-ethnic people from Far East Russia. Uzbekistan is definitely much more ethnically diverse than Kyrgyzstan or even Kazakhstan.

I still remember the very first time (it was summer) I went to Tashkent. After arrival, I immediatly went to an internet cafe where all users were girls. I was surrounded by tatar-ethnic, russian-ethnic, korean-ethnic, persian-ethnic, ect beauties, all dressed in too short skirts or small shorts, minimalist tops and fuck-me heels. I then decided that Tashkent will be my new favorite place on the planet.

WEATHER

Tashkent has a smooth mediterranean climate, nonetheless it can be scorching hot in summer, up to 45°. During this period women wear next to nothing ..."Wawaweewa, it's a very nice" would say Borat.

Fall is a rather enjoyable period, nonethess swimming pools are closed, which is a pity as it's one of the wonders of Tashkent (see below).

CULTURE

Uzbekistan is an enthralling country. It's really worth visiting some of the Silk Road cities. A high-speed train whose comfort almost equals the Eurostar is, since last year, running the Tashkent - Samarkand route and makes the trip in 2h30. Audacious guys will venture to Fergana Valley, which is also worth the side trip. I've had a lofty score in Fergana with a tall and slender gorgeous persian-ethnic hotel receptionist - when you go where others don't, the unexpected can happen each minute.

BTW Tashkent is a liberal, mainly unreligious place and even though many guys refer to the Islamic character of Uzbekistan, I myself can't agree to any of that for Tashkent. You encounter here MUCH less of the cliche Islamic lifestyle than you would in Jakarta or KL, or even in London or Paris.

THE CITY

Tashkent is the nicest, greenest and cleanest city I've ever been to in FSU. Wide smooth streets, large tree-lined avenues, dozens of beautiful and well-maintened parks with plenty of gorgeous fountains, ect. Traffic never get stuck and the air is pure. Also what is great from a touristic point of view is the enjoyable blend of Soviet, Oriental and Central Asian atmospheres/architectures. Truly exotic. There are cops (militziya) on every corner and street-crime is non-existent, thanks to the dictatorship regime. Never been stopped nor hassled by cops BTW. Uzbek guys are a bit rude (pardon, hello, thanks are unknown words, and smiles non-existent) and seem a bit overfilled with testosterone but in fact are rather friendly. Never, once came close to feeling threatened or unsafe, save by some drunken punters in discos (I have been involved two or three times in brawls with drunk turk and indian guys - one of the brawls caused me a retinal detachment, something you definitely don't want to have in Uzbekistan). As a side note, and oddly enough, turks and indians are about the only foreigners in Tashkent. Anyway uzbeks are also genuinely honest. Never been swindled by a taxi driver nor a informal money changer.

TAXIS

What is great in Tashkent is that almost every car is a potential taxi. You flag a car, it immediately stops, you go in, say where you go, and pay 2000 soums (or 3000 if you look like a lost tourist) or 3000/4000 soums late at night. Wherever you are and at any hour you never wait more than one minute before a car stops to pick you up, which is highly handy.

The Metro is worth a try. It can compete with Moscow or SPb in term of imposing Soviet "beauty". Nonetheless "taxis" are so cheap that taking metro, marshrutkas or trams for hanging around doesn't make sense.

ACTION

Tashent is by no means a balls-out wild city as Moscow, yet girls are plentiful and litteraly everywhere. As a side note, there is in most clubs and bars/pubs in Tashkent, sometimes in small proportion, and sometimes in significative proportion, some "occasionals" or "weekenders" (students, girls with modest jobs, ect, i.e girls who are not prostitutes but who for whatever reasons are willing to screw a sranger for money). I won't elaborate about that as it is a priori not the subject of this forum, nonetheless it can be interesting for some guys here to know that those girls congregate at Fabrique - ex Niagara, and to a lesser extend at Opera. BTW my experience is that many of them are capable to abandon their goal to have fun with a guy they mesh well with. There is of course also many real pros also in Tashkent - let's not forget that uzbeks (and most often the most ugly) are the largest contingent of FSU working girls in Thailand.

As one can expect from the fourth largest city in FSU, nightlife is pretty good, even on weekdays. There is some "in" and glam clubs like KataKomba (property of Karimov's daughter, where international DJs come performing) or People. Fabrique and Opera are more middle-class options, but more friendly IMO. There is also a whole host of hip and happening cafes and bars like Barxan, Gorod, Skazka, Cafe 1991, Red Bar, L'Eto Bar, Ellipse, Jimmy Poy karaoke, The Rooms, SMI bar (which is also the best "after-hours" spot in town), Fashion Bar, Red’n’Black, ect. Many pubs also, like Pivovar Dudek, Chelsea Pub, Irish Pub, Gasthaus, Brauhaus, ect. Many bars and pubs have nice outdoor terraces, which gives to Tashkent, on summer nights, an enjoyable atmosphere that most FSU cities don't have.

Of course, like everywhere else, scoring requires a bit of work, but guys with "game", time, dressing style/refinement and cultural awareness can do VERY well in Tashkent, much more so than in EE over-runned destinations. Nonetheless it's rare that you find, as in Moscow, one-night-stand drunk sluts, but it can happen. In Tashkent, girls are (or at least try to appear) more conservative than in Russia.

As a side note, there is also in Zharatshan Komplex (Broadway) a small strip bar named FM Bar which is quite simply one of the friendliest strip club I've ever been to. It's a small and rather sleazy place where 90% of the girls are really attractive (all ethnicities are represented), where atmosphere is cool, and where prices are very fair : 4000 soums for a one song lapdance and 5000 soums for a long-neck Baltika. Girls don't get totally naked and stay in underwears or sexy outfits yet are really, really good at driving you crazy. They don't order silly cocktails when they come to have a drink at your table but are happy with beer and accessorily a hookah. Great place indeed. Girls are only dancers, yet if you hit it off with one of them you can quite easily date her for a lunch or a drink the next day, and more if affinity.

BTW one of the great things about Tashkent is that girls have not been brainwashed against beer. In EE, Ukraine or Russia, most girls consider beer as a low-class thing. But not yet in Tashkent. Even the most upper-class girls seem to enjoy beer during meals, and in clubs it's not rare to see girls drinking Baltikas, even sometimes from the bottle (honestly, what is more appealing than a sophisticated 9+ girl drinking beer from the bottle?)

Last but not least, there is nice bellydancing floor shows with generally outrageously stunning girls in many clubs and restaurants in Tashkent. Some of the dancers are scorable, I can testify, but some others may have local mafioso boyfriends, and this is people with who you don't want any trouble with, so beware.

MISCELLANEOUS

Daytime game is not really evident. From June to September, it's impossible to chase in the streets or the parks, it's too hot. The only mall really busy is Mir Mall, near Zharatshan Komplex, but it's just a two storey building, with just a few stores and a miserable food court. That said, in summer, from 5 or 6pm, people have the habit to stroll on "Broadway" (a long walking street in the gorgeous Amir Timur park), and there is many groups of girls strolling around or simply drinking beer in the old-fashioned summer houses boarding the promenade.

During summer scorching hot days, most of the upper-class girls take a three months subscription at the Radisson swimming pool. It's expensive by uzbek standarts so only the "cream of the crop" frequent this place. It is a goldmine if you have skills, if you have enough self-confidence to game high-value targets and if you are are physically above average (swimming pool = swimsuit). At the Radisson pool, on good weekends, you need all your willpower just to keep your tongue from dragging the floor. Of course those girls are aware of their "market value" and behave as such, but in the end they are still women... and vulnerable. It is my favorite hunting ground in Tashkent, and I scored a lot there (even too much, some days I knew that there'll be at least four or five GFs or prospects so to not vex anyone, I didn't showed up and choosed to go to the Aqua Park nearby - no cheating) . But I really like this place. Spending an afternoon at the Radisson pool with a ridiculously hot 20 yo beauty in tiny Versace bikini is pure bliss.

The immense Aqua Park is also enjoyable. This is where middle-class girls with less financial means congregate. Nice spot to take a date or simply chase girls.

There is also BTW a gorgeous spot named Charvak Lake (about 60 km out of Tashkent, informal taxis can take you there for around 30 000 soums ) to kick back for a few days with a chick or two on board during summer. It's the largest water reservoir in Central Asia. In fact "reservoir" is a rather pejorative term, it's an immense and immaculate lake with nice natural beaches and with an interesting (yet a bit scattered) beach scene in summer. Water is turquoise, drawing a bit on the green, surroundings are majestic mountains of brownish and reddish dry tones. Breathtaking. Many choices for accommodation (datchas to rent, a big resort (Pyramids), small hotels, guesthouses, ect)

FINALLY

Is Tashkent worth a visit ? ... yes, definitely. Even if it's not a 7/7 sex-marathon destination, it's a very enjoyable city, exotic, culturally enthralling, safe, dirty cheap, still off the beaten tracks, swarming with outrageously stunning girls from all ethnicities, with many good bars and cafes, a lot of culinary options, a decent club scene, and a great potential. The only minus is the outdated "old style FSU" atmosphere (if Miami lifestyle is your idea of ideal vacations, don't go to Tashkent), with all the drawbacks, hassles and absurdities that it implies. Also, if you are not there since long enough to have a small stable of girls, you might feel moments of immense doubt and solitude - but this is frequent in FSU. Beside that, I personally see no reasons for a skilled, culturally curious and adventurous player for NOT going to Tashkent.

Hope this help.

Tashkent - Uzbekistan

Bellydancing floor show.

Pic taken from the facebook page of PaSaDo, a new restaurant in Tashkent. Good sample of the looks of uzbek women.

[Image: attachment.jpg11721]   

Tashkent - Uzbekistan

Tashkent.

[Image: attachment.jpg11727]   [Image: attachment.jpg11726]   [Image: attachment.jpg11725]   [Image: attachment.jpg11724]   [Image: attachment.jpg11723]   [Image: attachment.jpg11722]   

Tashkent - Uzbekistan

Nice data sheet and welcome to the forum, can you tell us more about what there is to do in and around Tashkent besides the night life? Is there hiking or fishing nearby? What would you do in a typical day there? Also, how is the level of English spoken there, do you need at least basic Russian skills to get by? Thanks

Tashkent - Uzbekistan

Great info. +1 from me. Makes me want to go there. Can you get a Visa on arrival, or do you have to go to a Consulate first?

Tashkent - Uzbekistan

Quote: (05-01-2013 03:01 AM)scotian Wrote:  

Nice data sheet and welcome to the forum, can you tell us more about what there is to do in and around Tashkent besides the night life? Is there hiking or fishing nearby? What would you do in a typical day there? Also, how is the level of English spoken there, do you need at least basic Russian skills to get by? Thanks

The good thing in Tashkent, as opposed to Ukraine and Russia, is that far more people (and girls) speak English than in the Slavic nations. That said, "far more people" is not "most of the people".

Things to do in Tashkent ? ... the old Town, Chorsu Bazaar (which is the largest Bazaar in Central Asia), Kukeldash Madrese, Djuma Mosque, Khazrat Imom, ect. There is also many gorgeous parks where to stroll around. Outside Tashkent, I don't really know, but sure you'll find great hikings to do, as the city is surrounded by mountains.

Klosck, you can't get a visa on arrival, you have to go to your local consulate.

Tashkent - Uzbekistan

Uzbek designers beach outfits.

Admittedly, those girls are models thus not really representative, but it still give a good image of the variety in Tashkent.

Tashkent - Uzbekistan

Great travel report on a city I've long had my eyes on.

How tall and petite are the women there on average would you say?

If the Turkish mongers are targeting the place, it sounds like there's relatively easy fun to be had there.

Tashkent - Uzbekistan

My last LTR was with a girl from Tashkent. Funny though, she always considered herself more Russian than Uzbek. Even when people would ask where she was from she would say Russia.

Tashkent - Uzbekistan

Yeah, the russian-ethnic uzbek population totally assimilate themselves to russians (notably linguistically), and not to uzbeks. My russian-ethnic GFs in Tashkent don't speak uzbek, don't celebrate uzbek important historic dates, ect. I've witnessed the same kind of behavior in Moldova, where the russian ethnic girls, even if they are technically moldovians (born and raised in Moldova) consider themselves russians and certainly not moldovians (most don't even talk romanian - or at least pretend that they don't speak romanian). Eternal Russian proudness I guess.

Tashkent - Uzbekistan

The more I read threads like this about Russia and the FSU, the more I think that it may be a region of the world that I have to check out someday. I think I'm done with tropical places, too hot, the climate in Tashkent is a lot more appealing to me, outside of the summer months.

Are the locals there heavy drinkers like the stereotypical Russians, always drinking vodka and getting hammered? Do you know if ice hockey is popular there?

Tashkent - Uzbekistan

Quote: (05-01-2013 02:14 AM)Prosal Wrote:  

The official currency in Uzbekistan is the Soum of which 2500 is equal to 1€ (2800 to 3000 at black market). The biggest bill is 1000 soums and is worth only about 0.30 €. Yeah that’s right. You literally have to go out with HUGE wads of money filling your pockets.

That is what 100 € look like in uzbek soums.

[Image: attachment.jpg11731]   

Scotian, yeah, uzbeks are rather heavy vodka drinkers.

Tashkent - Uzbekistan

Great thread, congratulations! This could be an interesting detour when I visit Moscow. Could you let us know if the girls are able to speak English? More or less the percentage.

Tashkent - Uzbekistan

Isn't the president of Uzbekistan a lunatic? What did you think of the Andijan thing?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andijan_massacre

Tashkent - Uzbekistan

Tashkent weather looks fantastic.

25+ and sunny already and continuing to climb.

This might be worth a look just to get away from the soggy spring.

I took a look at the map of Ubzekistan and got a little excited when I saw that the country had access to the Aral Sea.

My visions of Uzbek beach bunnies were soon crushed when I saw that the Aral Sea is considered one's the planet's worst environmental disasters.

[Image: aral-sea-ships.jpg]

Tashkent - Uzbekistan

Well done. Nice data sheet and nice way to add some value on the forum for your first post. I don't recall seeing anything on Uzbekistan on the forum. I just remember some Uzbeks coming to my school one year for a presentation and making it seem like it was the weirdest place ever. They had huge unibrows and made it seem like that was normal in Uzbekistan. I'm sure it's probably not and those people probably sucked at giving us a good idea of what life was like there. +1 from me for starting off strong.

Tashkent - Uzbekistan

Excellent first post and confirms all the intel I have from my dad who's rolled through here for the past 15 years, his friend has offered to hook me up but my dad forbade me for my own good. There is also the city of Bukhara if you're into cultural stuff, another lesser known attraction is a biblical hiking trail, with King Davids handprints across many parts of it and is an intense hike. Food there is real good and cheap, water is more expensive than vodka.

Women aren't ruined yet due to inaccessibility but that is slowly changing, Ill give it 5 years but you still need to have your shit together, this place like Russia and Ukraine will take time and is a great option for long term stay. However, if you are looking for a place to settle down, this may tick all the boxes. They are pretty liberal but family is still valued. Many of my dads colleagues and friends found a second wife. Some moved out there and never went back home. I'd suggest checking out Kazakhstan too since flights are cheaper and they have language schools in Almaty.

Tashkent - Uzbekistan

Quote: (05-01-2013 04:44 PM)endersgame Wrote:  

My visions of Uzbek beach bunnies were soon crushed when I saw that the Aral Sea is considered one's the planet's worst environmental disasters.

I've always wanted to visit the South Aral Sea region, but I never found the time and the courage to do it. You have to go to Nukus and then go all the way to Moynaq and the shores of the Aral Sea (or better say "what's left of it"). I guess that on the way you cross breathtaking landscapes and I believe also many ancient ruines. I've made the trip once to Khiva, but never pushed to Nukus.

But enough with the National Geographic. The Aral Sea is maybe dried-up, but the Charvak lake isn't.

[Image: attachment.jpg11751]   

Tashkent - Uzbekistan

Cafe 1991

For InternationalPlayboy (hmm).Yes, Russian chicks CAN be curvey (here russian-ethnic Uzbek GF at the terrace of 1991 Cafe).

Pic taken by me.

Tashkent - Uzbekistan

Fantastic data sheet Prosal! You're fast becoming one of my favorite posters in here and one of the best overall in the forum! What a way to start on the right foot than by dropping this absolutely awesome data!Very well done!

I have a good friends who is from there and lives there and he's been telling me for years to come visit him and check the scene but haven't done it so far. After reading that, I'm more curious than ever!

How is safety there? Is that an issue? Specially when you go out well dressed and or when walking with local girls? Did you get any bad vibes from the local guys? Is it safe to just flag any car and get into them? Did you flag any car or only cars with drivers that look trustworthy? ( ie not some scruffy looking Oleg or Boris involved in the Mafia who would rob you or is that a non issue there?).

The variety of girls there is simply amazing and this is one of the strongest points about the place, coupled with the great hospitality, great food, cheap cost of living and traditional and unspoilt girls. Looks like a real winner to me!

That pic of what 100E gets you in the local currency is simply hilarious! Did you carry a separate bag when going out at night to make sure you had enough to cover your expenses? Or did you pay in Euros/$?

Tashkent - Uzbekistan

Thanks, but you embarrass me Torontinho. Admittedly, I get drunk and post shit of questionable relevancy at times.

Quote: (06-05-2013 05:56 PM)Vacancier Permanent Wrote:  

How is safety there? Is that an issue? Specially when you go out well dressed and or when walking with local girls?

Tashkent is by far the safest city where I've ever been to. I feel safer in Tashkent than in Paris.

Is it safe to just flag any car and get into them? Did you flag any car or only cars with drivers that look trustworthy? ( ie not some scruffy looking Oleg or Boris involved in the Mafia who would rob you or is that a non issue there?).

It's safe at 100%, you just have to check if your driver is not TOO drunk.

That pic of what 100E gets you in the local currency is simply hilarious! Did you carry a separate bag when going out at night to make sure you had enough to cover your expenses?

Yeah, all this monopoly money is highly annoying, you have to literally fill your jeans pockets with those fucking bills for a night in town. I never wear a bag, it looks gay, but some locals do.

The variety of girls there is simply amazing and this is one of the strongest points about the place, coupled with the great hospitality, great food, cheap cost of living and traditional and unspoilt girls. Looks like a real winner to me!

Add an enthralling culture, fabulous landscapes, ect to the list, but you point out some of the reasons why some of us are enamoured with Central Asia. Vorkuta talked about it better than me:

http://www.rooshvforum.network/thread-17270-...#pid457655

Tashkent - Uzbekistan

Last but not least, there is nice bellydancing floor shows with generally outrageously stunning girls in many clubs and restaurants in Tashkent. Some of the dancers are scorable, I can testify, but some others may have local mafioso boyfriends, and this is people with who you don't want any trouble with, so beware.

Bellydancing show in Tashkent. It's a very nice would say Borat.

Tashkent - Uzbekistan

great food

Plov )

There is A LOT of good and atmospheric (and humanly priced) restaurants and upscale cafes in Tashkent. The speciality ones of the Caravan Group are all nice, I especially like their Uzbek venue (Caravan) and their Georgian venue - their pub, the Chelsea, has also good food (it's where the expats congregate).

Tashkent - Uzbekistan

Excellent post. I was in Tashkent only one week but found it a very interesting place. My current profile pic is from a photo I took from a park in Tashkent [Image: smile.gif] The racial diversity in Tashkent is very interesting. Locals are insanely nice.

My experience was a bit different from Prosal in some ways. I should point out that there is a bit of an "industrial shithole" vibe in Uzbekistan, I mean it feels like Ukraine in some ways.

As mentioned, I also thought the food was very good. A local took me to a restaurant that was really good and very very cheap, like $3 a meal. As a foreigner, restaurants will often try to charge you extra, in some cases double. Sometimes prices aren't listed, and bills are hand written.

Unfortunately, I did not get a flag. I almost took a girl home from Niagara, but I wasn't really sure if she was a pro or not, so at the last minute, I just left her there at the club. As it turns out, I won't have been able to take her back to my hotel anyway. My hotel, as some other hotels there, do no allow guests.

There are cops (militziya) on every corner and street-crime is non-existent, thanks to the dictatorship regime. Never been stopped nor hassled by cops BTW.

I used the metro only one time. When I did, I was stopped by the cops. I was only carrying a xerox copy of my passport, not the real thing. I was taken to a room for one hour as they investigated my passport and visa. It was very unnerving. Always carry your passport in Tashkent!

Also, when leaving Tashkent via the airport, I was taken to a room where a cop searched my luggage, pockets, and looked through my wallet. He was specifically looking for how much cash I had on me (you only allowed to leave the country with something like 300 USD cash).

Prosal, have you been to Almaty?

Tashkent - Uzbekistan

Quote: (06-06-2013 07:34 AM)The Duke Wrote:  

My current profile pic is from a photo I took from a park in Tashkent [Image: smile.gif]

Amir Temur )

[Image: attachment.jpg12518]   

Quote: (06-06-2013 07:34 AM)The Duke Wrote:  

My experience was a bit different from Prosal in some ways. I should point out that there is a bit of an "industrial shithole" vibe in Uzbekistan, I mean it feels like Ukraine in some ways.

Well, Tashkent isn't Paris or Prague and admittedly has a FSU vibe, but IMO it can't be compared to any Ukrainian city, which are on the whole kolossal shitholes. It is super clean, leafy, there is dozens of beautiful parks and hundreds of gorgeous fountains (most illuminated all night), many museums and monuments (most also illuminated), the streets aren't filthy and full of potholes as in Ukraine, ect. Of course, there is Soviet ugly commieblocks and decaying buildings, but not as much as in Ukrainian or Russian cities.

Also, the fact that most pubs, restaurants and cafes have outdoor terraces gives a unique vibe, nothing like Kharkov, Donetsk, etc, there is no comparison.

Never been to Almati. I know that it's much more modern and westernized than Tashkent, and the idea of visiting Khazakstan doesn't appeal to me - but maybe I miss something.

PS: Great photos of Boukhara, Khiva, Samarkand, Tachkent, ect