rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Adventurous holiday experiences

(CYA disclaimer for mods and anyone else raising an eyebrow: I am not encouraging, promoting or advocating travel to circumvent laws, to covertly or unlawfully cross borders, enter buildings or government property, or any other secure environment or anything else illegal. Just read on. [Image: angel.gif]

If, for whatever reason you don't want this idea floated on the forums, please delete without banning me. Thanks)

Recently I picked up this book http://www.amazon.co.uk/Top-Secret-Touri...1932595236 recently and also found this one at expat-chronicles: http://www.expat-chronicles.com/2013/02/...ours-book/

It's really apparent that 'niche' tourism has the potential to make plenty money. From dudes who visit Amsterdam for legal marijuana and the red-light district, or Spain for the bullfights (not really a fan, but can't deny I'm curious) or Eastern Europe for the beautiful locals and cities that don't appear on any maps, there are things people are curious about and will travel a long ways for. Many of these things, like drugs, p4p, bloodsports, FSU women, freedom of expression etc are unavailable/illegal in the tourist's home country/state, so they are obliged to go to where they are obtainable.

I'm convinced that it's curiosity, more than the fact that the tourist supports violence against animals, drug use, or the sex industry, which motivates this type of travel. (Obviously love tourism is much less about idle curiosity).

Another motivator to travel is the willingness to experience things nobody else at home has seen or done-maybe things which nobody else has experienced.

With me so far? Good.

Putting all these concepts together, I came up with the idea of...
(dun dun DUNNN)
trespass tourism!

Still with me?

Guided tours of those areas where people don't want you to go!

From taking (telephoto) snapshots of Area 51, to walking tours of the Vatican archives, slipping past the bouncers of a Saudi seraglio, picnicking on picturesque Deer Iland, strolling (very quickly) through Bohemian Grove, or day trips to closed cities in Russia-the possibilities are really limited!
You won't tell any of your friends!

Admittedly, these things might result in arrest or excommunication, and you can't post on facebook about your trip, but it could be really lucrative for some adventurous fellow, and it's harming nobody, really.

Thoughts?

"The woman most eager to jump out of her petticoat to assert her rights is the first to jump back into it when threatened with a switching for misusing them,"
-Ambrose Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary

Great idea. There was recently a story about these russians who trespassed and climbed the Great Pyramid in Egypt which is totally outlawed. They got some amazing pictures.

Egypt is pretty well fucked now, though, the islamic fundamentalists are already talking about destroying the pyramids and the sphinx.

But Tours of the Forbidden could be a real goldmine. One trip every 6 months or so, high dollar like a Mt. Everest attempt ($40k? $50k?). Your clients would have to sign a waiver releasing you from all liability for injury, death, imprisonment or just plain disappearing.

You might want to hire Naughty Nomad, after seeing his picture with the severed head and brains of a suicide bomber in Somalia I think he'd be the kind of guide you're looking for.

Quote: (04-09-2013 06:29 PM)painter Wrote:  

Great idea. There was recently a story about these russians who trespassed and climbed the Great Pyramid in Egypt which is totally outlawed. They got some amazing pictures.

Egypt is pretty well fucked now, though, the islamic fundamentalists are already talking about destroying the pyramids and the sphinx.

But Tours of the Forbidden could be a real goldmine. One trip every 6 months or so, high dollar like a Mt. Everest attempt ($40k? $50k?). Your clients would have to sign a waiver releasing you from all liability for injury, death, imprisonment or just plain disappearing.

You might want to hire Naughty Nomad, after seeing his picture with the severed head and brains of a suicide bomber in Somalia I think he'd be the kind of guide you're looking for.

Holy shit, they want to destroy Giza? that's nuts!

But yeah, I think this is an idea with legs, and it will be one for rich people, since the risks are higher. I found out recently that entering or photographing Area 51 risks 6 months jail time and/or $1000.

Yeah, NaughtyNomad would be up for practically anything, I think.

How about "Trespassport" as a name?

"The woman most eager to jump out of her petticoat to assert her rights is the first to jump back into it when threatened with a switching for misusing them,"
-Ambrose Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary