rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Net filter at work clamping down. No gmail but facebook is ok??

So starting yesterday the net filters at work have gotten much more strict. No youtube, no gmail, no streaming site of any kind. Sure it's annoying that I can't listen to youtube music in the background anymore and it's a huge pain that I can't conduct personal email business from my desktop, but what I find really surprising in this is that, for now, facebook is still fully accessible, the site I'd choose last to keep.

Can someone help me access gmail from work? RVF still works, for now. I have a feeling it may continue to fly under the radar despite the crack down.

"...it's the quiet cool...it's for someone who's been through the struggle and come out on the other side smelling like money and pussy."

"put her in the taxi, put her number in the trash can"

That is very strange. Allowing the biggest timesuck, Facebook, but getting rid of gmail. About the only rational reason I can think of would be that you must work at Facebook itself. Say high to Zuckerberg from us and tell him the folks at RooshV think he should trade up on his current wife.

just give it a week or two, facebook will be banned . What you can do is remote desktop back to your home pc. Thats what I do. you can change the remote desktop default port to 79

and then connect to it by x.x.x.x:79

What about accessing your Gmail through a smartphone or even through Outlook?

logmein.com
hidemyass.com

In the future more and more ways to lock down the Internet will be made. The last thing your employer wants is for you to have an interesting or fun life outside of work.

Also use your phone wisely, if you have a super secure strict job = get another phone. Also use the application to access your home computer.

What I'm advising is to basically run your mobile device off your computer and operate off of a storage cloud network. That's the future to continue to have a normal life on a real corp environment.

Quote: (04-02-2013 10:37 AM)kenmoreISburning Wrote:  

What about accessing your Gmail through a smartphone or even through Outlook?

You can access Gmail through Outlook?

[Image: mindblown.gif]

"Imagine" by HCE | Hitler reacts to Battle of Montreal | An alternative use for squid that has never crossed your mind before

I'm coming across more blocked sites. I was just going to random sites and noticed that RSDNation.com is blocked (I've never actually browsed the site but I do like their youtube vids).

Please god don't tell me RVF is next. Yeah yeah I can look at it on my phone but that's harder to type on and it won't appear that I'm doing actual work like it does when I'm on the computer. [Image: tard.gif]

What's funny is that the two sites that are the biggest time wasters for the average cubicle monkey (facebook and ESPN) probably will not be blocked or at least appear to be last on the list. I could care less about those sites but I feel like the company will riot if those are shut down.

Quote: (04-02-2013 11:35 AM)WestCoast Wrote:  

logmein.com
hidemyass.com

Also use your phone wisely, if you have a super secure strict job = get another phone. Also use the application to access your home computer.

What I'm advising is to basically run your mobile device off your computer and operate off of a storage cloud network. That's the future to continue to have a normal life on a real corp environment.

I'll try those links. I have a work Blackberry that I don't use so my personal iphone will suffice for gmail correspondence (it will be a pain for attachments, etc. but can make do).

Can you elaborate a little on "run your mobile device off your computer and operate off of a storage cloud network"?

UPDATE: They're locked Chrome down, but Opera seems unaffected so far.

"...it's the quiet cool...it's for someone who's been through the struggle and come out on the other side smelling like money and pussy."

Just get a smartphone.

A lot of times the policies in place are windows based and only affect Internet Explorer. So if you use Firefox or Chrome you should be free to view whatever you like.

If that fails use a proxy server. Google "Free proxy". Find one listed in the US. It'll be an IP Address and port number. Go into your browser settings and find the Proxy setup section and enter that info. Now any web traffic from you pc goes through the remote proxy to the Internet and back to you unfiltered.

Team Nachos

yeah, best way to do it is either proxy server or remote access of an off-site desktop
like ssh or something
I haven't ever done this because I'm too poor to own more than one computer but if I had to do this, this is what I'd read up on and figure out.
Hide my ass proxies always work and are easy. Had great fun with those in high school.

Quote: (04-02-2013 11:35 AM)WestCoast Wrote:  

logmein.com
hidemyass.com

Cool, cheers for those. They will definitely come in handy in work.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. - H L Mencken

I hear that gmail.com gets banned a lot because when people look for new jobs they invariably use Gmail.

What I mean is you can install apps to run your personal on your phone. Then you store all your data in the cloud. This way you can bypass everything.

Make sure your computer is all flash, and it will run like a champ.

Quote: (04-02-2013 05:32 PM)augen sehen Wrote:  

I hear that gmail.com gets banned a lot because when people look for new jobs they invariably use Gmail.

Interesting. I use gmail for its security, reliability, and professional. And yes, it's my job search email. The OP might gain from getting a bigger phone like the Galaxy Note. I have had this problem in the past, and paid big to bypass the companies system altogether.

A couple places I worked for didn't like us having a constant line back to corporate, or to look for work period. That is piss poor and IMO, a direct violation of my rights.

One of the places I worked for took the top 10 or 15 sites used that month that were non-work related and stopped them. I bet they could even break it down individually, so evetually if you go to 3 work sights and only roosh, roosh would be blocked after that month. So only hitting a few sites actually might back fire.

I actually handled the web monitoring at my old job. They have a device which is put before the firewall that all the internet traffic comes and goes through. With that I tied it to the user. So yes I can see
1) websites you went to 2) Time spent 3) How much bandwidth is being used (streaming, etc)

Another way around it is if you are the admin of your pc, you can install vmware workstation, go buy a clear 4g unlimited usb stick for $40 a month, assign the usb to your virtual machine and surf that way.

using 3rd party gotomeeting, teamviewer or rdp is still the cheapest

I tried to use some of those proxies, but to no avail. The network message was the following:

'Block reason: Forbidden Category "Hacking/Proxy Avoidance Systems"

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. - H L Mencken

They should just block all Internet access from work PCs. It's kind of annoying that need to snoop at the individual level.

Team Nachos

HR girls need Facebook to "research" applicants, so it will be allowed.

Quote: (04-03-2013 08:59 AM)Teedub Wrote:  

I tried to use some of those proxies, but to no avail. The network message was the following:

'Block reason: Forbidden Category "Hacking/Proxy Avoidance Systems"

Thats because your internet traffic request gets filtered before it gets passed on to the real world.

Think of it as a customs passport check point at the airport. All the traffic has to go through 1 exit before its allowed to advance. From the time you get off the plain to the time you hit the check point you are pushed in one pre determined direction.

A common reason gmail is blocked is to stop the leaking of confidential documents. Same reason USB drives are often blocked.

"A flower can not remain in bloom for years, but a garden can be cultivated to bloom throughout seasons and years." - xsplat

It's funny...I can't change my mouse speed setting (even after calling tech support, was told it's 'impossible'), can't change my screen resolution, short cuts such as Alt+Tab have been blocked, and now all the webpage blocks....BUT I can still download another browser to my machine, install it, and continue accessing gmail.

It would seem that the IT people are either r'tards or they purposely allow these loopholes unbeknownst to the higher ups.

All webmail has been banned wherever I've worked, it's for security reasons primarily due to some doofus in finance possibly opening up a virus from a spam email he's received in his hotmail/gmail account.

Don't forget to check out my latest post on Return of Kings - 6 Things Indian Guys Need To Understand About Game

Desi Casanova
The 3 Bromigos

I would quit that job. Period. The U.S. is putting out, in huge numbers, mindless drones everyday. You won't be doing the company a disservice. Find a place where you can spread your wings.

@ Chyamor Hey i was just checking out vmware workstation and apparently its a software. I am concerned about workplace monitoring as well as I am die hard about office politics to get ahead.

How is the best way to do this? I install vmware workstation software on my work computer but only works if I am an administrator? Wouldnt I be better off installing TOR or some kind of anonymity software?

Ive heard some guys say "never use a work computer just bring your laptop from home." This might be the most sound advice if you can just plug in the internet from your work computer to your laptop. Maybe even hide the laptop under the desk and plug the desktop monitor into your laptop as well lmao

Tor wont work because you will get filtered out before leaving your companies internal network

the best and safest way is to use remote desktop. 1) its built in to windows so you dont need to worry about having admin access to install anything 2) Programs like gotomeeting, teamviewer etc use specific ports which can be easily flagged and blocked 3) If you install vmware your IT depart can run an inventory app which can connect to your pc remotely and pull up every software installed.

Using a laptop wont work either because again you are using the same internet pipe as your workstation. With remote desktop you just hit X and boom, session closed. Its free and takes a few seconds to setup on home pc