rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Advice on buying a motorcycle

Hi guys!

Due to my job situation I'm going to buy a motorcycle. It's going to save me about 80-100$ weekly on gas. Plus I don't get stuck on traffic jams that make it impossible to get early to work. I mean, if I have to punch in at work at 8:00am I'd have to wake up at 4:30 and be on the road at 5:30 am. So I don't spend an hour in a traffic jam in my car. I've had to ride on the emergency lane to be able to make it on time. If I get caught doing that it's $250 a pop. Plus if I have an accident doing that I'm fully responsible so it's not good.

I'm set on a Suzuki gsx600 or 750. Maybe a 1000 if I find one cheap enough. I'd love a Ducati Hypermotard but it's out of my budget.

I've ridden bikes before (mainly motor cross bikes and atvs), but not street bikes.

Any advice? I really don't want a bike that's fucked up. What should I look for to make sure it's in good condition? How can I make sure that it's not a stolen bike or something?

Any other advice?

Thanks

Well, First off is going to really difficult to get a good 600 or750 gsx bike for 1000....

Quote: (01-06-2015 04:37 AM)Kingsley Davis Wrote:  
You can bring broads to logic but you can't force them to think.

Check insurance rates if you're going to be getting full coverage, the rates I was quoted last week would have eliminated nearly 2 weeks of your planned gas savings. Take the MSF class if you can, it will teach you a ton.

If you're looking for saving gas as the only reason to buy, don't do it. Unless you're in California and plan to lane split I'm not sure how you figure the time savings, but with a bike you have to factor in faster wear on the items, tired will need replaced sooner, chain, sprockets, etc. With a 600,750, or 1000 you'll be looking at 40-45 MPG max. Is that as significant a change as you had planned on? Don't believe the manufacturer and the quoted MPG. If you're only after better mileage I'd look at the Honda CBR250 or the Kawasaki Ninja 300. I've got a 250 and see 70+ MPG regularly.

I've got some more thoughts on this that I'll add when I'm on the computer.

Quote: (03-14-2013 06:02 PM)urbannomad Wrote:  

Well, First off is going to really difficult to get a good 600 or750 gsx bike for 1000....

1000 cc not $$.

"I have refused to wear a condom all of my life, for a simple reason – if I’m going to masturbate into a balloon why would I need a woman?"

Very valid point about the weather. Where do you live? Unless you are in SoCal, it's not going to work out as well for commuting as you are imagining.

These links will prove useful for you:

http://www.clarity.net/adam/buying-bike.html

http://www.wildcatriders.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=6901

You might want to hit up a bike forum for this kind of thing, since RooshVForum isn't a hotbed of knowledge and experience when it comes to bikes and engines.

If you're only looking to commute then you don't really need a big engine. People in South America get around on 50cc bikes no problem...you'll be fine with 300-400cc. You'll save more money that way: on the bike, on gas, and on maintenance.

But if you want a heavier, big-engined bike, that's cool too. Why the zuki in particular? Your best bet is to keep an eye on craigslist for good deals, without marrying yourself to any particular make. It's your first street bike, don't go blowing a wad of cash on it. For all you know, the bike thing won't work out for you and you'll go back to the cage-mobile. So be spendthrift at this point.

Even if it were in your price range, a Ducati wouldn't be a good call IMO unless you really like putting in wrench time. Those bikes can be reliable, but they are finicky about maintenance. I worked with a guy in January who had three Ducatis, he said he loved them but he was an engineer who used to work with nuclear subs. Not your typical shade-tree mechanic.

LOL

Quote: (03-14-2013 05:47 PM)Pete Wrote:  

Hi guys!

Due to my job situation I'm going to buy a motorcycle. It's going to save me about 80-100$ weekly on gas. Plus I don't get stuck on traffic jams that make it impossible to get early to work. I mean, if I have to punch in at work at 8:00am I'd have to wake up at 4:30 and be on the road at 5:30 am. So I don't spend an hour in a traffic jam in my car. I've had to ride on the emergency lane to be able to make it on time. If I get caught doing that it's $250 a pop. Plus if I have an accident doing that I'm fully responsible so it's not good.

I'm set on a Suzuki gsx600 or 750. Maybe a 1000 if I find one cheap enough. I'd love a Ducati Hypermotard but it's out of my budget.

I've ridden bikes before (mainly motor cross bikes and atvs), but not street bikes.

Any advice? I really don't want a bike that's fucked up. What should I look for to make sure it's in good condition? How can I make sure that it's not a stolen bike or something?

Any other advice?

Thanks

2.5 hour commute to work, not counting the return trip?

Fuck that, MOVE!!!

Read My Old Blog - Subscribe To My Old Blog
Top Posts - Fake Rape? - Sex With A Tranny? - Rich MILF - What is a 9?

"Failure is just practice for success"

State farms motorcycle insurance is dirty ass cheap compared to other places

I'll sell you my CBR 1000RR
[Image: 24kzdig.jpg]

Bruising cervix since 96
#TeamBeard
"I just want to live out my days drinking virgin margaritas and banging virgin señoritas" - Uncle Cr33pin

Long commutes eat a shit-ton of money and time. Find another job or another place to live.

My bike is 500cc, gets around 65mpg real world. Highly recommend you don't look at performance crotch rockets if you're looking for a practical commuter bike to save money.

Also, bear in mind riding gear. You might save time, but motorcycle commuting takes dedication. You need a helmet, jacket, leggings, boots, gloves... will you have a place at work to get cleaned up, maybe shower, and change into your work clothes?

Lane splitting a moto thru rush hour traffic twice a day when cage drivers are paying the least amount of attention because they need to get their kids to soccer, or because the AM coffee hasn't kicked in, is going to tax your concentration, you'll end up mentally fatigued at the end of the day, more physically tired from exposure to the elements, helmet noise, cramped riding position.

Sport tires have to be replaced 10k - 15k miles, even less if sticky tires. Chain will need regular cleaning, lubing, adjusting tension. Changing in and out of pro gear (that you'll sweat in) 4 times / day will get to be a pain in the ass.

Upgrading your car's sound system & stereo, new music and audiobooks will make your commute more tolerable, less hassle, cheaper than getting into a sportbike.

For communting purposes, ninja 250 is perfect. Dont go any bigger. Most used bikes you see posted have less than 5000 miles. Barely broken in. Ive bought three used bikes already. You may be able to find a used 2010 250 for less than 2k. Insurance should be around 30 bucks. Id say do it if you are getting a 250.

You must live in north VA with a commute live that. Ive been and it fucking sucks balls.

The cycle of disrespect can start with just an appetizer.

Quote: (03-14-2013 06:44 PM)titan22 Wrote:  

Take the MSF class if you can, it will teach you a ton.

Agreed. Most insurance companies give you a discount if you have taken an MSF class.

If you're looking for saving gas as the only reason to buy, don't do it. ...With a 600,750, or 1000 you'll be looking at 40-45 MPG max....

Disagree. For a 3 gal tank that's about 100-150 miles depending on how you drive. You end up saving in the end.

Quote: (03-15-2013 02:56 AM)hazara Wrote:  

Lane splitting a moto thru rush hour traffic twice a day when cage drivers are paying the least amount of attention because they need to get their kids to soccer, or because the AM coffee hasn't kicked in, is going to tax your concentration, you'll end up mentally fatigued at the end of the day, more physically tired from exposure to the elements, helmet noise, cramped riding position.

Sport tires have to be replaced 10k - 15k miles, even less if sticky tires. Chain will need regular cleaning, lubing, adjusting tension. Changing in and out of pro gear (that you'll sweat in) 4 times / day will get to be a pain in the ass.

Upgrading your car's sound system & stereo, new music and audiobooks will make your commute more tolerable, less hassle, cheaper than getting into a sportbike.

Disregard. I've commuted for the past 2 years pretty much every day with no problems. Helmet noise? LOL

Quote: (03-15-2013 06:10 AM)TexasMade Wrote:  

For communting purposes, ninja 250 is perfect. Dont go any bigger. Most used bikes you see posted have less than 5000 miles. Barely broken in. Ive bought three used bikes already. You may be able to find a used 2010 250 for less than 2k. Insurance should be around 30 bucks. Id say do it if you are getting a 250.

You must live in north VA with a commute live that. Ive been and it fucking sucks balls.

Unless you have a vagina, I would stay away from 250s. You will grow out of it in a month.

Be safe!

Do any of you even ride?

Been riding my 250 since 2004, if you need more cc's just prove you have a penis, that's pretty sad.

Hey man..we're all on 2 wheels..didn't mean to offend [Image: wink.gif]

Quote: (03-15-2013 05:47 PM)Feo Wrote:  

Unless you have a vagina, I would stay away from 250s. You will grow out of it in a month.

Be safe!

Agree. If you're riding on highways with a limit of 100km/h or more, a 250 just isn't enough. Even if you're not looking to ride fast, you need to have a burst of speed available to get you out of sticky situations, and 250's just don't have that on tap. No, not even the 'super sport' models like the ninja 250. That said, you do get awesome fuel economy with smaller bikes - I've got a 250 that gets 350km off a 15 litre tank, and a 600 that get's around 230k off a 17L tank. Also, on wet/windy days, the 250's just don't have enough weight to keep you stable - you'll get blown the fuck around.

Awesome lots of advice here.

Quote: (03-15-2013 05:49 PM)Feo Wrote:  

Do any of you even ride?
Would we be posting if not? I have 15k commuting on bikes.

Helmets - a lid with good airflow will keep your hair and head drier but will be louder at speed, can be dealt with by using noise canceling IEM ear buds or foam ear plugs but this will reduce your awareness, important once you get into the city.

Other issues with bikes:
- can't get road head
- can't drive drunk & high (might be ok on a Harley)
- can't use cell phone

I've owned 4 motorcycles and been in three crashes, one permanently disfiguring part of my torso. The best solution is get out of living that far away from work. Commuting is so exhausting, and a motorcycle will make it worse.

1) Don't. Commuting is the worst way to ride a motorcycle. You HAVE to do it when you're tired, when the roads are crowded, when there's rain.... The death rate for bikes is like 500 times higher than a car. Ever see those motorcyclists lying on the left-side shoulder of a highway while people stand around their prone body helplessly? They're scared to move the motherfucker in case he has a spinal injury. ON a highway you know they went down at like 60+. Take mass transit and if you must get a bike ride almost only during the day or when there's no traffic at night.

Have you ever crashed on a bicycle at like 20 MPH? Think about the difference.

2) If you do, get a full-face helmet. Get all your teeth replaced is not fun.

3) Get a jacket with the shoulder, elbow and spine pads. I wouldn't be scarred if I had been wearing one during my accident. Wear strong boots and armored gloves that will NOT come off if you crash.
Think about walking around on a fucked-up foot rest of your life.

4) DEFINITELY take the Motorcycle Safety Foundation course. They told us: 1) 90% + of accidents are the motorcyclists fault 2) 90+% of the time
in a car-motorcycle accident the car driver says they didn't see the motorcyclist.

5) GET FAGGY HIGH VISIBILITY stuff. You look even dumber lying there in the street like a helpless pizza with eyeballs.

6)Assume NO ONE SEES YOU. THey often don't

7) Watch out for the U-Turn box. This is rare but deadly. Never go fast next to a row of parallel-parked cars. They 98% of the time pull out and merge, which is easy to
handle. Once every few years. one will pull out and DO A U TURN, so his car will be directly blocking the street perpendicular to your path. If you are a cool dude doing 40+ next to the row of cars, you get to know his driver door
better than you know your girlfriend.

8) Poster above nailed it, vibration and noise will tire you hugely and if you're set up for bike commuting you can't easily get out of it.

Check insurance rates if you're going to be getting full coverage, the rates I was quoted last week would have eliminated nearly 2 weeks of your planned gas savings. Take the MSF class if you can, it will teach you a ton.

If you're looking for saving gas as the only reason to buy, don't do it. Unless you're in California and plan to lane split I'm not sure how you figure the time savings, but with a bike you have to factor in faster wear on the items, tired will need replaced sooner, chain, sprockets, etc. With a 600,750, or 1000 you'll be looking at 40-45 MPG max. Is that as significant a change as you had planned on? Don't believe the manufacturer and the quoted MPG. If you're only after better mileage I'd look at the Honda CBR250 or the Kawasaki Ninja 300. I've got a 250 and see 70+ MPG regularly.

I've got some more thoughts on this that I'll add when I'm on the computer.

Quote: (03-14-2013 07:16 PM)Kingsley Davis Wrote:  

1000 cc not $$.
Exactly [Image: lol.gif] $1,000 would buy me a piece of trash around here.

Quote: (03-14-2013 07:33 PM)Pacific Wrote:  

Very valid point about the weather. Where do you live? Unless you are in SoCal, it's not going to work out as well for commuting as you are imagining.
I live in Puerto Rico so the weather is not an issue. If it rains I can use my SUV.

Quote: (03-14-2013 07:34 PM)polymath Wrote:  

These links will prove useful for you:

http://www.clarity.net/adam/buying-bike.html

http://www.wildcatriders.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=6901

You might want to hit up a bike forum for this kind of thing, since RooshVForum isn't a hotbed of knowledge and experience when it comes to bikes and engines.

If you're only looking to commute then you don't really need a big engine. People in South America get around on 50cc bikes no problem...you'll be fine with 300-400cc. You'll save more money that way: on the bike, on gas, and on maintenance.

But if you want a heavier, big-engined bike, that's cool too. Why the zuki in particular? Your best bet is to keep an eye on craigslist for good deals, without marrying yourself to any particular make. It's your first street bike, don't go blowing a wad of cash on it. For all you know, the bike thing won't work out for you and you'll go back to the cage-mobile. So be spendthrift at this point.

Even if it were in your price range, a Ducati wouldn't be a good call IMO unless you really like putting in wrench time. Those bikes can be reliable, but they are finicky about maintenance. I worked with a guy in January who had three Ducatis, he said he loved them but he was an engineer who used to work with nuclear subs. Not your typical shade-tree mechanic.

LOL
Thanks for the links man! Yeah I like the ducatis. But the one I love is the Hypermotard. And there's only 2 or 3 for sale here for about $12,000 so it's out of my budget for now.

Quote: (03-14-2013 08:08 PM)AneroidOcean Wrote:  

2.5 hour commute to work, not counting the return trip?

Fuck that, MOVE!!!
It's not that easy to find jobs here. I graduated with a BBA in Feb. 2012 and I just found a job. I cannot move right now anywhere else in the world 'cause I have spent about $15,000 in a business venture so I can't leave without working on that.

Quote: (03-14-2013 09:00 PM)Cr33pin Wrote:  

State farms motorcycle insurance is dirty ass cheap compared to other places

I'll sell you my CBR 1000RR
[Image: 24kzdig.jpg]
Thank for the info, but Statefarm doesn't exist here. [Image: confused.gif]

Quote: (03-14-2013 09:20 PM)Ovid Wrote:  

Long commutes eat a shit-ton of money and time. Find another job or another place to live.

My bike is 500cc, gets around 65mpg real world. Highly recommend you don't look at performance crotch rockets if you're looking for a practical commuter bike to save money.

Also, bear in mind riding gear. You might save time, but motorcycle commuting takes dedication. You need a helmet, jacket, leggings, boots, gloves... will you have a place at work to get cleaned up, maybe shower, and change into your work clothes?

Yeah. The thing is I can get through the same highway on 15-20 minutes. But at the hours I work that makes out to an hour or hour and a half. Plus I've always wanted a bike. Now I have a reason to get one.

Yeah, upgrading my cars system would run me less, but it would not solve mmy problem of getting around highway congestion.

Thing is here in PR they want $7,000 for a 250 or 300. Also, the bike has to have more than 600cc to ride in the highway (law here). Most bikes in the classifieds are Hayabusas (which I hate).

Quote: (03-15-2013 05:47 PM)Feo Wrote:  

Take the MSF class if you can, it will teach you a ton.

Agreed. Most insurance companies give you a discount if you have taken an MSF class.

If you're looking for saving gas as the only reason to buy, don't do it. ...With a 600,750, or 1000 you'll be looking at 40-45 MPG max....

Disagree. For a 3 gal tank that's about 100-150 miles depending on how you drive. You end up saving in the end.

Disregard. I've commuted for the past 2 years pretty much every day with no problems. Helmet noise? LOL

Be safe!

I don't really like the 250 as I think if I had a situation where I needed speed asap a 250cc bike would not be able to give it to me.

Quote: (03-15-2013 11:16 PM)iknowexactly Wrote:  

I've owned 4 motorcycles and been in three crashes, one permanently disfiguring part of my torso. The best solution is get out of living that far away from work. Commuting is so exhausting, and a motorcycle will make it worse.

1) Don't. Commuting is the worst way to ride a motorcycle. You HAVE to do it when you're tired, when the roads are crowded, when there's rain.... The death rate for bikes is like 500 times higher than a car. Ever see those motorcyclists lying on the left-side shoulder of a highway while people stand around their prone body helplessly? They're scared to move the motherfucker in case he has a spinal injury. ON a highway you know they went down at like 60+. Take mass transit and if you must get a bike ride almost only during the day or when there's no traffic at night.

Have you ever crashed on a bicycle at like 20 MPH? Think about the difference.

2) If you do, get a full-face helmet. Get all your teeth replaced is not fun.

3) Get a jacket with the shoulder, elbow and spine pads. I wouldn't be scarred if I had been wearing one during my accident. Wear strong boots and armored gloves that will NOT come off if you crash.
Think about walking around on a fucked-up foot rest of your life.

4) DEFINITELY take the Motorcycle Safety Foundation course. They told us: 1) 90% + of accidents are the motorcyclists fault 2) 90+% of the time
in a car-motorcycle accident the car driver says they didn't see the motorcyclist.

5) GET FAGGY HIGH VISIBILITY stuff. You look even dumber lying there in the street like a helpless pizza with eyeballs.

6)Assume NO ONE SEES YOU. THey often don't

7) Watch out for the U-Turn box. This is rare but deadly. Never go fast next to a row of parallel-parked cars. They 98% of the time pull out and merge, which is easy to
handle. Once every few years. one will pull out and DO A U TURN, so his car will be directly blocking the street perpendicular to your path. If you are a cool dude doing 40+ next to the row of cars, you get to know his driver door
better than you know your girlfriend.

8) Poster above nailed it, vibration and noise will tire you hugely and if you're set up for bike commuting you can't easily get out of it.

Amazing advice. Thank you very much sir.

I would love the thrill of owning a motorcycle or doing a Central / South American motorcycle road trip, but I've seen crashes in person, have known acquaintances who died on motorcycles... Just doesn't seem worth the risk...

Since it's warming up and all the bikes are coming out, I thought I should post up a couple things I had to learn the hard way for you guys thinking about riding for the first time:

-let your bike warm up fully on first start...you will get massive skips if you open throttle too fast on a cold engine.
-let your tires warm up..it takes longer than you think
-keep an eye on traffic at least a quarter to half mile ahead..quick stops on the highway will put your tires in lock and if you're lucky you will only fishtail. Ask me how I know.
-layer for microclimates, get some good thermals
-if you have a chick riding bitch, keep your bike straight when you park. You're holding up the weight of 2 people and a bike, and she isn't going to jump off if you start to fall.
-This is BIG...DO NOT FLY PAST ANOTHER BIKE IN THE SAME LANE UNLESS HE SEES YOU. Dont fucking do it bro..I will chase you down and kill you.
-Tix are expensive. Watch out for cops.

Veteran riders..any tips?

ATGATT. All the gear, all the time. When it's warm (or downright hot) it's tempting to skip the heavy protective clothing and wear a t-shirt and flip-flops. This is a really bad idea, which will become clear after Murphy makes his appearance and you're enjoying a nice long stint in the hospital as they try to put your hide back together. (Thankfully I have not experienced this personally, but I've seen it, and that was enough.)