rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Jobs that pay well and keep you fit

What kind of jobs can you guys think of that pay above the US median income
...Let's say $65,000/year and above while at the same time require some kind of
physical activity in order to keep you in shape.

The obvious one is Physical Trainer. They make like $40/hr around my way but it's
not steady work.

You can join the military and run your ass off at 5am every morning and I'm sure
the paycheck is ok after a certain amount of time.

You can be a cop but honestly I see more fat out of shape cops than fit ones.
Which leads me to believe it's mostly paperwork.

What else?

Team Nachos

Construction normally requires a lot of physical activity and pays well.

Mail carrier is another one since they do a lot of walking but they get paid nowhere near $65,000.

Quote: (03-05-2013 07:51 PM)Alpha Hunter Zero Wrote:  

Construction normally requires a lot of physical activity and pays well.

I don't know about swinging a hammer all day but masonry sounds about right.
Hoofing heavy cinder blocks and bags of cement all day.

I can't see them paying more than $15/hr though unless you own the company or something.

Team Nachos

It depends on the company. I've known plenty of undocumented workers who have worked in construction (carpentry, masonry, heavy construction) who normally brought in a little over $1000 a week. Owning a company is where you make some tremendous bank. I knew this one South American dude (again undocumented) that owns his own masonry business with 13 employees and easily brings in $4000 a week. The hours are shitty though, you wake up at the crack of dawn, work like a mule until 4 or 5 pm and then go home to rest and repeat the process the next day.

Firefighter. near 6 figures,pension, social proof...but its hard to get a job. But you need to be in really good shape.

Quote: (03-05-2013 07:49 PM)Parlay44 Wrote:  

The obvious one is Physical Trainer. They make like $40/hr around my way but it's
not steady work.

You can join the military and run your ass off at 5am every morning and I'm sure

What else?

Are you talking about walking in immediately and making that kind of money using brawn and no brains?

Park ranger would be good but I think you'd be down at $30-40K at best for that job.

Professional boxer or anything sponsered.

Quote: (03-05-2013 07:49 PM)Parlay44 Wrote:  

not steady work.

What else?

I broke down how to do the personal trainer gig here:

http://www.rooshvforum.network/thread-21085-...#pid379118

I surprised more guys haven't jumped on it (so to speak).

You can make $1000+ a DAY being a sub contractor for flooring/roofing/siding/decking etc companies but you need enough money/balls to put down a few grand for the tools you need. You can either lie about your experience and learn fast or work labour in the area you want to go to for a 2+ months, learn and save, and then get your own small business.

Ive been in the carpentry field for 6 years now and one thing you want to do is separate yourself from being just a labourer.

The good kind of labour jobs:
-Framing houses is the best way to go if your not going to sub contract, you can do it anywhere on the planet and its fun to build stuff with wood. Its easy on the body in terms of long term wear and tear as long as you dont fall off something. You are probably not mixing any kind of chemicals and probably won't be lifting anything over 20 lbs. People get hired as framers with no experience all the time, use google and quickly learn things like the 3 4 5 triangle method and basic framing calculations. Its not hard if you can add and subtract.
-Drywalling is boring but not going to kill your body in the long run. Holding things over your head makes you surprisingly muscular.
-Siding/stucco etc: pretty much same as drywall only your working at greater heights but its different work each time. Outdoors has its obvious good and bad points.
-roofing: sounds horrible but it depends on the company you work for. Work for a company that has hoists to bring the shingles up and roof rippers instead of shovels. Roofing was surprisingly pretty easy on my body and gets you in shape like nothing else. Flat roofing might be harder but I never tried it.
-Masonry: as boring as drywall and wont get you into as good of shape. You also have to deal with chemicals but you are outside which is good and bad since its seasonal/weather dependent. Id do drywalling over this.

The worst labour jobs:
-building decks/fences because you will be the bitch digging the holes and this is 100x worse on your body than any kind of heavy lifting. Any kind of shoveling will fuck up your wrists in the long run and you will probably mess up your knees at some point.
-Landscaping company would be the 2nd worse for obvious reasons but if you can be the guy riding around in the bobcat you are golden but you have to work your way up.
-form work is brutal especially stripping the forms after the concrete sets but if you can handle it you will get super ripped like nothing else. There can be long term damage to your body though depending on exactly the type of work you are doing. I would stay away.
-flooring is kind of in between, its really hard on your back for the first while until you get used to it and if you got back problems I would stay away for sure but you will get in great shape and I enjoyed the variety in flooring

Quote: (03-05-2013 09:57 PM)thegmanifesto Wrote:  

I broke down how to do the personal trainer gig here:

http://www.rooshvforum.network/thread-21085-...#pid379118

I surprised more guys haven't jumped on it (so to speak).

I'm going to give it a shot. I'll let you know how it goes.

I am seeking employment in Oslo, Norway. Any assistance is appreciated.

Quote: (03-05-2013 11:36 PM)Jaylow Wrote:  

You can make $1000+ a DAY being a sub contractor for flooring/roofing/siding/decking etc companies but you need enough money/balls to put down a few grand for the tools you need. You can either lie about your experience and learn fast or work labour in the area you want to go to for a 2+ months, learn and save, and then get your own small business.

Ive been in the carpentry field for 6 years now and one thing you want to do is separate yourself from being just a labourer.

-Framing houses is the best way to go if your not going to sub contract, you can do it anywhere on the planet and its fun to build stuff with wood. Its easy on the body in terms of long term wear and tear as long as you dont fall off something. You are probably not mixing any kind of chemicals and probably won't be lifting anything over 20 lbs. People get hired as framers with no experience all the time, use google and quickly learn things like the 3 4 5 triangle method and basic framing calculations. Its not hard if you can add and subtract.
-Drywalling is boring but not going to kill your body in the long run. Holding things over your head makes you surprisingly muscular.
-Siding/stucco etc: pretty much same as drywall only your working at greater heights but its different work each time. Outdoors has its obvious good and bad points.
-roofing: sounds horrible but it depends on the company you work for. Work for a company that has hoists to bring the shingles up and roof rippers instead of shovels. Roofing was surprisingly pretty easy on my body and gets you in shape like nothing else. Flat roofing might be harder but I never tried it.
-Masonry: as boring as drywall and wont get you into as good of shape. You also have to deal with chemicals but you are outside which is good and bad since its seasonal/weather dependent. Id do drywalling over this.

The worst labour jobs:
-building decks/fences because you will be the bitch digging the holes and this is 100x worse on your body than any kind of heavy lifting. Any kind of shoveling will fuck up your wrists in the long run and you will probably mess up your knees at some point.
-Landscaping company would be the 2nd worse for obvious reasons but if you can be the guy riding around in the bobcat you are golden but you have to work your way up.
-form work is brutal especially stripping the forms after the concrete sets but if you can handle it you will get super ripped like nothing else. There can be long term damage to your body though depending on exactly the type of work you are doing. I would stay away.
-flooring is kind of in between, its really hard on your back for the first while until you get used to it and if you got back problems I would stay away for sure but you will get in great shape and I enjoyed the variety in flooring

Tell me more. Especially with masonry work. So in a few months I can learn enough to get all my permits, hire a crew, start making bank? How do you "hack" into "lying" on your resume to the prime on the contract? Is this part of the 4HWW? For real. We can talk masonry work all day, or how to run a crew. If you can "hack" me into this, then I'll throw you a BIG bonus when I get started. PM me the info, and I'll pay up on my promise.

First off I know the least about masonry than anything on the list I gave. In Ontario (where I am from) you do not need any kind of ticket to actually do carpentry work. It might be different for masonry but I doubt it.

I am talking about doing sub contracting work for a company that make the product. So the company makes steel shingles for roofs or hardwood flooring for example and hires the contractors to install the product. The company does all the advertising and selling to the customer and all contract work, you just walk in and install and walk out. Usually the company pays you by sq foot or by bundle.

So check out a bunch of youtube videos, maybe buy a carpentry book on the related area you want to "hack" into and tell the company what they want to hear when on the job interview. I hear from people all the time bsing their way into sub contracting and learning as they go.

You could try opening a Crossfit gym for two or three years. I hear that it's pretty good money and in that time you can get hilariously shredded and somewhat big. Just don't let Uncle Rhabdo in.
Your biggest issue will be getting enough clients, as crossfit gym equipment is typically cheap and you can open up shop in any steel prefabricated structure or potentially a rental.

Quote: (03-06-2013 12:12 AM)Aliblahba Wrote:  

The worst labour jobs:

Tell me more. Especially with masonry work. So in a few months I can learn enough to get all my permits, hire a crew, start making bank? How do you "hack" into "lying" on your resume to the prime on the contract? Is this part of the 4HWW? For real. We can talk masonry work all day, or how to run a crew. If you can "hack" me into this, then I'll throw you a BIG bonus when I get started. PM me the info, and I'll pay up on my promise.

This sounds like a one way ticket to bankruptcy, OSHA violations and lawsuits at best.

Quote: (03-06-2013 12:24 AM)thegmanifesto Wrote:  

Quote: (03-06-2013 12:12 AM)Aliblahba Wrote:  

The worst labour jobs:

This sounds like a one way ticket to bankruptcy, OSHA violations and lawsuits at best.

This guy is fucking moron. Really. We see those "funny" videos of shit like bridges collapsing, walls falling, HORRIBLE construction, ect. Who does that work? I just saw a show on tv of some "alpha" dude in Canada that was going through and fixing houses because of bad inspections. WTF? People spend a fortune due to this. And what is this? Some brainiac with little experience shooting off to get rich. These days even getting "bonded", they are now so desperate, they skip town to avoid warrants, lawsuits, ect. This is shit advice if I've ever heard it.

I know something about masonry, and been around it for years. It will make you strong, it will wear you out, but you need YEARS of experience to run a crew. Some 4HWW notion that you can start that biz is crazy. No laborer that is worth a shit will work for you, and no respected prime will bring you on just because you just started a biz. Where I'm from it's word of mouth.

In fact, I got a real taste in my mouth for that post. How many of us have been ripped off my a mechanic, HVAC guy, parts bitch, landscaper, salesman, ect. It starts here with this mentality. Get by from ripping off the money of those that earn it.

The company looks over your work. I wouldn't recommend framing unless you knew what you were doing. How is someone going to die if you laid the tiles wrong? Load baring walls and brick work is much different. I am not saying do a shit job and run out of town, you should have an understanding of what you are doing first and if you are making critical errors you will get tossed out quickly.

You also forgot to mention that I did start off by saying you should work for someone in the specific area you want to start in before doing it by yourself.

Quote: (03-06-2013 12:46 AM)Jaylow Wrote:  

The company looks over your work. I wouldn't recommend framing unless you knew what you were doing. How is someone going to die if you laid the tiles wrong? Load baring walls and brick work is much different. I am not saying do a shit job and run out of town, you should have an understanding of what you are doing first and if you are making critical errors you will get tossed out quickly.

You also forgot to mention that I did start off by saying you should work for someone in the specific area you want to start in before doing it by yourself.

How can you learn framing a whole house that quick? And yes, no one will "die" if you fuck up the tiles, but are you going to make money doing it over? No. Plus you are holding up production. And in this market, any error is critical. Unless you can show where you are killing it with your 6 years exp. and sub crews, I think you are simply dreaming. And giving bad advice.

Quote: (03-06-2013 12:21 AM)Jaylow Wrote:  

So check out a bunch of youtube videos, maybe buy a carpentry book on the related area you want to "hack" into and tell the company what they want to hear when on the job interview. I hear from people all the time bsing their way into sub contracting and learning as they go.

I'm going to have to go with Ali here. I wouldn't touch masonry with a ten foot pole unless I'd been in the business as a regular laborer for three to five years and made plenty of good connections on the way, or get started as a partnership with somebody who knows what he's doing. These just aren't the kind of jobs you can jump into.

I used to work in roofing, demolition, and excavation for about six years as a grunt and you're just not going to get the bid unless there's a good reputation built on experience. Even with the pretty solid record my employers had for getting shit done on time and within budget and with no issues we were still roofing shithouses and demolishing old buildings for larger business basically free (on the promise of having work in the winter), because the alternative was sitting around on our asses and letting all of our shit rust to pieces. I would say that half of our competitors ended up bankrupt because work was that scarce.

I would even say that for roofing we just barely broke even on two or three major projects because the bossman had to keep us busy or risk half of the crew going back to Mexico or finding jobs at Dairy Queen.

Maybe this kind of shit flies where there's a huge demand and no supply for it (or in carpentry, can't speak for that) but in the Midwest it's a miserable business.

The whole Jersey Shore got demolished by Hurricane Sandy. I'm sure the trade guys are killing it right now rebuilding the boardwalks and demolished homes.

We get a lot of seasonal tourist dollars that we rely on so they need to get it up and running by Memorial Day or risk losing millions in revenue.

Team Nachos

Quote: (03-06-2013 01:04 AM)Parlay44 Wrote:  

The whole Jersey Shore got demolished by Hurricane Sandy. I'm sure the trade guys are killing it right now rebuilding the boardwalks and demolished homes.

We get a lot of seasonal tourist dollars that we rely on so they need to get it up and running by Memorial Day or risk losing millions in revenue.

Started a thread on this. Went nowhere:

http://www.rooshvforum.network/thread-18078.html

Last word I got was Jersey was easier to work, but the insurance companies were paying real slow, which in turn made it hard to find a job. So if you guys up there can't get a job, it looks like the Shore will have to wait until next year. Meh. I do love the pussy up there.

I remember reading about how some old school strongmen would work as dockworkers. I did some research and it turns out that, although it requires no educational experience, the pay is about 10 bucks an hour average. Supposedly, if you work for the UPS, you can make upwards of 25 bucks an hour, but I wouldn't count on it.

Construction is alright if you're willing to go past the hourly wage grunt, but most people would rather not make that kind of investment.

“I have a very simple rule when it comes to management: hire the best people from your competitors, pay them more than they were earning, and give them bonuses and incentives based on their performance. That’s how you build a first-class operation.”
― Donald J. Trump

If you want some PDF's on bodyweight exercise with little to no equipment, send me a PM and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

My list was about doing labour in those fields since this thread is about doing a job that gets you in shape.

Certain parts of carpentry you can do 2 months and learn all you need to know and have enough knowledge to go it your own. Framing a house is much more complex than tiling a floor and requires a big initial investment that someone who is inexperienced is not going to take anyway.

delete